Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Glottis posted:

Time to contribute, cause I buy a lot of poo poo

60" Vizio which was 50% less than the 42" Vizio it replaces, and 100% more surface area!

Probably a bad time to mention that Vizio is now rolling out a 50" 4K UHD starting at 999. Their largest, 70" is 2.5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
My last round of pick ups for a while.

From Powell's Indiespensable program.

The Bone Clocks

Magic for Beginners

From The Strand two weeks ago after a walking tour

Acceptance

Making the Mummies Dance

Role Models (it's marked as used, but it's signed. So someone made a mistake)

From The Brooklyn Book Festival

The Gods of Gotham

The Vacationers

New Jersey Noir

Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics

Brooklyn Was Mine

10:04

So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures

Dirty Daddy: The Chronicles of a Family Man Turned Filthy Comedian

How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets

I'm pretty much not grabbing any books until after the Holidays. I have a feeling that there's going to be another book from Powell's before the end of the year, but we'll see.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

He actually made Harvey Korman piss himself during the Dentist sketch they did.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Great book. In my opinion, Lerner is in a league of his own right now. There aren't a whole lot of authors who can write both poetry AND prose at that level.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
If my calculations are correct this will be the bad-assest pencil case.
I've looked at many a small sized hard cases to find one that had an internal compartment of sufficient length, yet not too fat so as to be a hassle to lug around. Most were invariably too short for pens and pencils or too deep for carrying around.

S3 T3000

It's 20cm by ~10cm by 3.6cm internal dimensions which is roomy to fit all my drafting supplies; has a foam liner to keep stuff from banging around. The outside dimensions are not too big and it has the added bonus of being very durable against crushing!

To go inside or instead or in addition I ordered this Saki pencil roll wrapping wallet deal:

Hellbeard has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Sep 24, 2014

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Great book. In my opinion, Lerner is in a league of his own right now. There aren't a whole lot of authors who can write both poetry AND prose at that level.

I'm glad to hear that. I had the chance to hear him speak at the Brooklyn Book Festival this past weekend and was intrigued by his writing style. I guess that I should get his other book too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

ive always wanted a nice rower, is it air resistance in that little bubble thing?

e: guess not

welcome 2 Clown Town has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Sep 24, 2014

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

I love the water noise these things make. :neckbeard:

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

You must be a real ambitious one to buy a rower like that. I'm guessing the presidency?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

oscarthewilde posted:

You must be a real ambitious one to buy a rower like that. I'm guessing the presidency?

*stares into camera with smirk*

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

oscarthewilde posted:

I've got an overly complicated plan to become president of the local home owners association. I may have to throw a reporter in front of a golf cart.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tomstuart posted:

ive always wanted a nice rower, is it air resistance in that little bubble thing?

e: guess not

If you get a rowing machine basically you should get a Concept2 or nothing.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

I bet you slammed your fists on your desk when it arrived.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Bip Roberts posted:

QFT. Those water-rowers aren't all they're cracked up to be unless you absolutely can't have the noise of a flywheel.

I would say something like Rowperfect probably rocks the socks, but I haven't actually ever used one - I'm super jealous of anyone who's got that kind of setup. The idea behind it is very well thought out, though - making the flywheel a moving part supposedly emulates the momentum retention and decay that occurs in a boat when your technique varies. If you're flinging your weight back and forth in a boat, you'll be killing the boat's ability to run, because the boat is jerking back and forth equivalently - but on an erg you can just heave on the fucker and not really care, which is a bad habit. It doesn't really matter for cardio/strength conditioning, which is what most ergometers get used for... but hey.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Sep 24, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
All of these rowing jokes are going over my head.

I'm guessing... House of Cards?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

All of these rowing jokes are going over my head.

I'm guessing... House of Cards?

House of Cards and enjoying the feel and sound of rowing machines.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm glad to hear that. I had the chance to hear him speak at the Brooklyn Book Festival this past weekend and was intrigued by his writing style. I guess that I should get his other book too.

Definitely. Leaving the Atocha Station is great, especially when you consider that it was his first novel after three books of poetry.

And if you are into poetry and like linguistic pyrotechnics, you could give the The Lichtenberg Figures a shot.

https://www.coppercanyonpress.org/pages/browse/book.asp?bg=%7B4565B659-B8C4-4F59-9411-6214146127B8%7D

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How is the rower for an actual workout?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

obi_ant posted:

How is the rower for an actual workout?

It depends on how long you go and how intense you make it.

Ummm... Common sense?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

FIV test for this pretty lady. All other adoption fees and costs were waived, since apparently the city animal services shelter has way too many cats right now, so they were having a special promotion. I get to bring her home on Monday!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

psyopmonkey posted:

It depends on how long you go and how intense you make it.

Ummm... Common sense?

This, and:

Biomechanically it's very good for you. You will work your core, back, shoulders, legs, glutes, and somewhat your arms also (pro tip: don't yank the handle with your arms to try to generate power. It comes from the legs and stabilizing with the core.) There's not a lot of ways you can hurt yourself doing it other than hyperextending something, and it does not take a lot of effort to learn good technique. You must learn good technique. Generally this boils down to keeping your back at a stable/ideal range of angles, not letting your head and torso fly all over the place during the stroke, and maintaining co-ordination between your hand and leg movements.

You are free to do long, steady workouts to build your endurance, or short, intense, repetitive workouts to build explosiveness and power. You can challenge yourself to build power by aiming for a fast split at a slow stroke rate, try for smoothness and consistency at a high stroke rate, or anything in between. Any rowing machine worth a drat has a computer that can show you all kinds of extremely useful metrics (split times, stroke rate, power, distance, calories...) for you to measure your performance and keep an accurate log of how you're progressing. And most machines have an adjustable damper to make the resistance easier or harder.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Concept 2 rower and it's a torture device. When it's raining or cold outside I really dread it since I can't jog, so I have to spend 30 minutes on the device and it hurts so much. My legs are pretty strong now though.

e: Francis didn't read the manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AMGNv957Xg

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a Concept 2 rower and it's a torture device. When it's raining or cold outside I really dread it since I can't jog, so I have to spend 30 minutes on the device and it hurts so much. My legs are pretty strong now though.

e: Francis didn't read the manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AMGNv957Xg

Rowing isn't supposed to be fun. It's about hurting, puking, and waking up at 4:30 in the morning.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Xenoletum posted:

Probably a bad time to mention that Vizio is now rolling out a 50" 4K UHD starting at 999. Their largest, 70" is 2.5k.

(a) there is basically no 4k content, (b) it's virtually impossible to tell the difference at couch distance, and (c) the 4k version costs >2x what I paid for this one. I knew it was coming. From what I hear they made other sacrifices on picture quality to meet the price point, too.

Meatwave posted:

Dude. Do you not know about junkyards?

It's not because I was missing one, it's because these stupid things wear out on this car pretty quick. This is the second time I've had to replace my gas cap in 9 years. I'm pretty confident that I don't want one that has been sitting out forever and will probably fail again in 3 months, if not immediately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I row when my gyms pool is closed and enjoy it a lot for a different kind of workout. I can row 5k faster than I can run it now :v:

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

The best purchase.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

FIV test for this pretty lady. All other adoption fees and costs were waived, since apparently the city animal services shelter has way too many cats right now, so they were having a special promotion. I get to bring her home on Monday!

What a fine and dignified young lady. :3:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Rowing isn't supposed to be fun. It's about hurting, puking, and waking up at 4:30 in the morning.

So like cycling? Awesome, I'm going to love this purchase :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

There's a 4:30 in the morning now?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
New phone:

New GPU:

RIP my wallet.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

KING EGG posted:

How's that going for you? We got one to test at work and had real problems getting the Display Port to work.

I'm using HDMI so no comment on that but I'm liking it so far. Very quick for what it is.

deepbluenowhere
Jan 8, 2009

New bike! I got a 2002 Suzuki sv650 with 9,500 miles from a guy on craigslist. Got a killer deal on it, and it came with some nice extras like front and rear stands and a cover.

This thing is awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New GPU:

RIP my wallet.

I already know that I want a 970, but I just don't have any reason to get it before GTA5 comes out next year, and I feel like even if it doesn't go on sale by then maybe there'll be a bundle or f2p codes or something. Did yours come with any goodies?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A couple of t-shirts:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Est 1981? I know that's when the Delorean came out, but Doc didn't build his time machine until 1985.

:goonsay:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

deepbluenowhere posted:

New bike! I got a 2002 Suzuki sv650 with 9,500 miles from a guy on craigslist. Got a killer deal on it, and it came with some nice extras like front and rear stands and a cover.

This thing is awesome.

This was almost exactly my first bike, down to the year. Congratulations, the thing is great. I just sold mine last year, half thought it would be mine when the picture loaded.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

This man is correct.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shoes:

Handtool made by a neanderthal man:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

davebo posted:

I already know that I want a 970, but I just don't have any reason to get it before GTA5 comes out next year, and I feel like even if it doesn't go on sale by then maybe there'll be a bundle or f2p codes or something. Did yours come with any goodies?

No goodies at all! I'm a bit surprised there were no free games or anything now that I think about it, but it never really crossed my mind because I'm just blown away by how good this card is, and I haven't even got round to overclocking it yet!

Could I have a link for these please?