Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

quote:

Partial Weapon Navigation = pwn
Peripheral Weapon Navigation Diameter = pwnd
Parallel Weapon Navigation Transmitter = pwnt
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron = pwnage

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
:lol:

I always new the module names were 90% complete hogwash, but I had no idea there were some that are backronyms of age-old leetspeak terms.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I remember when pwn was considered cool :corsair:

thank god that time is over

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I refer to meta 4 painters as pwnage painters in my head. If only to remember which of these stupid loving names is meta 4.

Key phrase: in my head

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

omeg posted:

Anyone tried running eve on Linux? Is it playable?

Works just fine with wine version >1.6.2, with proprietary nvidia drivers installed, or on intel integrated (I have it running on a laptop with HD3000) provided you have support for DRI and all of that fun stuff. ATI should work in theory, but gently caress if I know, haven't done it since like 10 years ago.

To get around input locking out when you do a lot of alt-tabbing, have wine create a desktop in a window when you launch, something like wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 /path/to/your/exefile.exe

Patching doesn't actually freeze, just the UI is wonky. Move it around your screen, or try to enter your password, and you'll see it update .

Hanging out on your spacecouch works just fine, streaming to twitch does not.

Eve voice chat should work in theory, I've been able to listen in, but I haven't managed to get my mic working with it (why would you ever use eve voice?)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OWLS! posted:

Eve voice chat should work in theory, I've been able to listen in, but I haven't managed to get my mic working with it (why would you ever use eve voice?)

To scam pubbies?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ynglaur posted:

To scam pubbies?

Touche, the only place I've ever used it is messing around in pubbie incursion fleets.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone successfully used the voice fonts to separate lonely pubbies from their assets? I know there was an article a while back about some girl being allowed to steal a super just because of her gender, but it would be made even more hilarious by it having been accomplished using shoddy voice muxing software.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nietzschean posted:

Has anyone successfully used the voice fonts to separate lonely pubbies from their assets? I know there was an article a while back about some girl being allowed to steal a super just because of her gender, but it would be made even more hilarious by it having been accomplished using shoddy voice muxing software.

I wonder if I could FC while using the Logitech software's robot voice?

Something to try on my next fleet :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I once made a spy alt modeled after some weird YouTube chick called Miss Hannah Minx or something with huge cans, I was given around 700 million and a couple of ships in the first three days that I had infiltrated some corp.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The kanji for meh looks like a meh.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nietzschean posted:

The kanji for meh looks like a meh.

same

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Customization of ships is getting closer by the day.

Also I kind of want to see a Sanistaros now. :3:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Come play archeage, and you too can listen to DBRB talk all. loving. day.

He's not the most annoying person in mumble :ssh:

DBRB and BobfromMarketing all in the same place? Oh boy!

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
For those of you interested in wormhole space corbexx went and did a thing and wrote a thread about it.

The gist of it is that wormhole income sucks if you aren't running cap escalations, which very few people can do.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Libluini posted:

Customization of ships is getting closer by the day.

Also I kind of want to see a Sanistaros now. :3:

So, if I have understood it, they have or are changing a "static" description of each ship in the game, by a quite "dynamic" system which allows them to combine different treats (color, texture, hull design) on the fly.

I wonder if this will scale well when there are thousands of ships on grid...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amberskin posted:

So, if I have understood it, they have or are changing a "static" description of each ship in the game, by a quite "dynamic" system which allows them to combine different treats (color, texture, hull design) on the fly.

Since it makes loading the info easier, it should be better then what we have now. The last mass test didn't crash anything either (I think this system is already working on SiSi), so everything looks good so far.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Amberskin posted:

Seems like it scales linearly, and it looks like they've even done some pruning / exclusion of sub-features based on consequence. Reminds me a lot of feature trees from product line engineering.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I once made a spy alt modeled after some weird YouTube chick called Miss Hannah Minx or something with huge cans, I was given around 700 million and a couple of ships in the first three days that I had infiltrated some corp.

I keep hearing about stuff like this but the only special treatment I see as a girl is that people assume you're made out of glass.

They also assume that you're utterly harmless and incapable which is something that a a lot of people confuse with friendliness.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

They also assume that you're utterly harmless and incapable which is something that a a lot of people confuse with friendliness.

Which is a very bad assumption to make in EVE, as that has been used to jack supercarriers from their owners etc. :getin:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

orange juche posted:

Which is a very bad assumption to make in EVE, as that has been used to jack supercarriers from their owners etc. :getin:

Yes and more power to them for making people realise the dangers of underestimating people.

Personally I tend to keep my gender under wraps for as long as I can without acting in a disingenuous manner. You can get so much more done as just a generic "one of the guys"

In fleets it's mostly only the FC that needs to speak anyway. Meanwhile all idle chatter is well accounted for already and being Logi Anchor is something I can handle in the logi channel.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fix Lag posted:

The gist of it is that wormhole income sucks if you aren't running cap escalations, which very few people can do.

The thing about trying to balance wormhole income is that the majority of it comes from resources, not pure isk.

I would argue that the real problem isn't that the low-end sites suck and have terrible income, it's the cap escalations and the farming thereof that are too good. Wormholers have flooded the market with T3 mats; a T3 hull + one set of subsystems is less money than a pair of hacs or a single Gila (and with the insurance changes, T2 ship prices should gradually increase while T3 remain low). They made huge money for a long time because prices in eve are very sticky in the face of over-supply, but even that doesn't last forever.

Every resource that players can harvest in infinite quantities eventually gets pushed and pulled until the average "salary" you make producing it is within a few standard deviations. CCP can increase the drops for C1-C4 sites to make those pay better, but it will be at the expense of the guys doing cap escalations right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Klyith posted:

The thing about trying to balance wormhole income is that the majority of it comes from resources, not pure isk.

This is actually not all that true -- in high-end wormholes, most of the isk doesn't come from materials (read: melted nanoribbons,) it comes from blue loot, which is sold to NPC buy orders. This makes these rewards fall into the "pure isk" category, even if it's after a fashion. If you look at the spreadsheet in that link earlier, the isk breakdown goes from 78% nanoribbons from a C1 to 25-ish percent from nanoribbons in a C4. The rest? Blue loot.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Fix Lag posted:

For those of you interested in wormhole space corbexx went and did a thing and wrote a thread about it.

Oh, well, the C3 income is greater than the one you get running Guristas anoms in Dek (assuming a tick of 20-25 mil). Of course, the risk is greater in W-Space, and the numbers assume you are not sharing the sites. And, of course, there are other income sources (I'm thinking about the gas mining combinded with gas reactions, and the PI, which is very good if you have the correct planets).

The main problem living in WSpace is that sometimes you have absolutely nothing to do. And rolling a hole searching for fun is only doable if you have a good number of pilots in system. And if you have good numbers you have to share the income.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Speaking about wormholes, the new changes in the expansion are worthless in my opinion.
Seems that CCP doesn't know what to add to the game anymore, they could listen to their player base though, but that doesn't seem an option to them.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
I would take running anomalies in Deklein over running sites in a C3 any day.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NyxBiker posted:

Speaking about wormholes, the new changes in the expansion are worthless in my opinion.
Seems that CCP doesn't know what to add to the game anymore, they could listen to their player base though, but that doesn't seem an option to them.

Wow, you must have slept through everything announced and done by CCP in recent weeks. Alternative answer: Wait for six weeks, maybe you find the next "expansion" more appealing.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Fix Lag posted:

I would take running anomalies in Deklein over running sites in a C3 any day.
Same here. Way more easy, and safer. And with the right ship, it's very fast and profitable. especially when you get faction spawns.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Oh, now they're going to add ship customization. I wanted to fly a tropical pink Vexor but nooooo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Amberskin posted:

If anything, it should scale better than it currently does. Right now, every minute variation is an entirely different object that is loaded, even though it is 100% identical in every respect except rendering. With this kind of system, they could probably even have some pre-process pruning of irrelevant data.

So instead of the situation where the server goes…
Here is one Rifter, so let's load and process the “Rifter” object.
Here is one Rifter with skin A, so lets load and process the “Rifter with skin A” object.
Here is one Rifter with skin B, so let's load and process the “Rifter with skin B” object.
[etc for 197 more variations]

…it'll be able to go…
Here are two hundred Rifters. 95% of them have skinning data, all of which is irrelevant for the purpose of physics simulation. So let's just load and process the “Rifter” object, because it's the only one in play at the moment.

Even at the client end where all those different skins have to be processed, it should provide an improvement since that's just a matter of texture/shader processing, and can probably be LODed out or just turned off.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 24, 2014

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Amberskin posted:

Oh, well, the C3 income is greater than the one you get running Guristas anoms in Dek (assuming a tick of 20-25 mil). Of course, the risk is greater in W-Space, and the numbers assume you are not sharing the sites. And, of course, there are other income sources (I'm thinking about the gas mining combinded with gas reactions, and the PI, which is very good if you have the correct planets).

The main problem living in WSpace is that sometimes you have absolutely nothing to do. And rolling a hole searching for fun is only doable if you have a good number of pilots in system. And if you have good numbers you have to share the income.

those numbers also assume you are running sites solo, which is kind of dumb. Comparing a solo activity to cap escalations, are rarely done solo, isn't a very good comparison. Running c3/c4 sites in small groups of tengus with a single person doing the salvaging increases the income and safety. You can also run c4/c5/c6 sites solo in a marauder, and he only did c4s, which also fails to capture some of the possibilities.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Libluini posted:

Wow, you must have slept through everything announced and done by CCP in recent weeks. Alternative answer: Wait for six weeks, maybe you find the next "expansion" more appealing.

Somehow some people have heard "releases every 6 weeks" as "expansions as big as you get twice a year, but every six weeks". It's like they have no concept of work, time, or effort.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Dammit what happened to the customs offices in J5A? I had a sweet PI setup there. :negative:

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is actually not all that true -- in high-end wormholes, most of the isk doesn't come from materials (read: melted nanoribbons,) it comes from blue loot, which is sold to NPC buy orders. This makes these rewards fall into the "pure isk" category, even if it's after a fashion. If you look at the spreadsheet in that link earlier, the isk breakdown goes from 78% nanoribbons from a C1 to 25-ish percent from nanoribbons in a C4. The rest? Blue loot.

Aha, I was aware of blue loot but somehow had the impression that it was a minority of income across all w-space types, not a upward progression like that. I suppose they could do some rebalancing just by altering blue loot drops or even just NPC buy prices in that case. Or even reverse that relationship so that high-end activities & cap escalations were more subject to market forces than low end ones?

Tippis posted:

If anything, it should scale better than it currently does. Right now, every minute variation is an entirely different object that is loaded, even though it is 100% identical in every respect except rendering. So instead of the situation where the server goes...
The old RED files or the new SOF have no use outside the graphics rendering system, which the server doesn't care about. The ship data that the server processes comes from their item databases AFAIK.

In whatever future update that a real skinning system happens and there are hundreds of possible skins, it might be as you describe. But since the server has to do individual operations on every single ship already -- apply pilot skills to the hull stats -- I don't know if loading O(n) more hull types is that big a deal performance wise. They did say they can't go too crazy with their current skin variant system though for database reasons though.

On the client side, I don't think the change will have any performance impact. The data for keeping track of model-shader-decal was in individual entries, but the rendering system is capable of reusing models & shaders efficiently once loaded. The blog says it has little performance impact now, but big backend payoffs later.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Klyith posted:

In whatever future update that a real skinning system happens and there are hundreds of possible skins, it might be as you describe. But since the server has to do individual operations on every single ship already -- apply pilot skills to the hull stats -- I don't know if loading O(n) more hull types is that big a deal performance wise.

In any situation where N is large enough to matter, the server will definitely be the bottleneck.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

boat tried this

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

mynnna posted:

You know, some of us enjoy things like the market, industry, the metagame, etc. :colbert:

i'm trying station trading recently as it's a part of the game i've never looked into. my issue is that being in aussie timezone i play right before and after downtime and there seems to be very little volume of sales. so there is a lot of updating orders but not a lot of buying or selling going on.

is there a way to see intraday volume per item?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sir_Substance posted:

In any situation where N is large enough to matter, the server will definitely be the bottleneck.

I don't think you understand the difference between N and O(N).

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't think you understand the difference between N and O(N).

You shouldn't talk to people in a smarmy fashion about professional fields if you don't know what they do for a day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Is there any way to circumvent the restriction on running multiple trial accounts at the same time, and is it a violation of the EULA?

• Locked thread