Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Nerokerubina posted:

I've been looking for work for over a year after exiting academia. Strongly considering altering my resume so that it shows me as having gotten my Masters degree this year instead of last so I don't have an inexplicable year-long gap on my resume. Can pass it off as a typo if I get called on it, once I get in the door (I've had literally one in person interview and two phone screens in the probably 50+ jobs i've applied for, just getting in the door to talk to anyone is my goal at this point). Terrible idea y/n?

Dude, do not lie on your resume. Your (future) employers will find out.

You said "acadamia" so I do not know if it's research in marine biology or chemical microscopy or high-energy physics or whatever. Truth is, in today's economy a year-long gap is not the scarlet letter it used to be.

Please tell us you filled that time doing something better than sitting on the couch and playing WOW or something :)

It's really no a big deal. I've hired people that were *four years* out of work that turned out to be excellent. Lying, It will only hurt you. It will not help you, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
I had a 2nd round (phone, as I'm not local) interview last Friday with the person who would be my direct boss, and today, I see the position I interviewed for re-posted onto LinkedIn. Is this a death knell?

I thought it had gone pretty well, and the guy even described the writing test that I'd have to take as the next step in the interview process. I was thinking of following up with them tomorrow on it, but if they're already re-posting the position, I'm not sure I'd want to bother even going through with the test if I'm already out of the running.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Sitting in the hotel room before my interview later today... they flew me out cross country and put me in a very nice room, doing an hour long group interview with two directors from different technical divisions (one of which who would be my direct boss), director of HR, and VP of one of the technical divisions. Seems like pretty serious stuff for what seemed to me was an only slightly above entry-level role that was contract to full-time. At this point it would make sense to think I'm one of the few they're considering right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pretty much. By the time someplace is willing to pay money for flights and hotel rooms, there aren't too many people left.

I'm hoping to hear back from my all-day paid for interview a couple weeks ago today, my point of contact is back in the office today after being gone for a week. :f5:

e: gently caress :smith:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 23, 2014

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Updating my resume for the first time since graduating (2011) and wondering if anyone can help with a few questions. For reference, all my experience is in tech field and I'm looking to round out my profile so I can start pushing for management positions.

First off
-Is it still worth putting down a high GPA?
-Should a high GMAT score be listed?

The area I'm having the most trouble with is trying to show some business savvy. I have some basic experience as a product lead; but with tech skills, it's easy to point to a certification you have in SQL or a program you developed in Java instead of just claiming to know it. I'm not really sure how to do this with business skills short of pursuing an MBA.

Right now my resume is organized as Education, Work Experience, and Professional Development. I was thinking about completing the Wharton Foundation Series (1st year MBA coursework) on Coursera to show that I'm not a stranger to basic accounting and finance, but I'm not sure that will really hold any weight. I also started looking into a Six Sigma certification, but again I don't know if there's actually any value in that. Just looking for some ideas to work on really.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Noblesse Oblige posted:

today, I see the position I interviewed for re-posted onto LinkedIn. Is this a death knell?
In my limited experience, no. All it means is that they haven't hired someone, so they're still looking. The same way you're pretty serious about this job, but you're no doubt also still looking. Nobody's going steady at this point, in other words.

I actually had the opposite happen, and it's just as nerve-wracking: after I had my interview they pulled the job posting from their site. I was like "poo poo, that means someone else beat me to it, I'm out." I finally asked the recruiter a few days later and he was like "Oops, my bad, I just forgot to re-post it."

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I'm another college freshman with a career fair coming up next week, so I scrambled this together yesterday: https://www.dropbox.com/s/meufz8414kk25me/SAcrit.pdf?dl=0

Am I doing it right?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Could someone take a look at my resume in private. It's kind of embarrassing and I'm sure it needs work.

mutagen
Dec 18, 2009

I worked for a university from 2007 to 2010 and funding for my position ran out. I did a two week contract for them in 2011. I worked for them again from 2012 up until a few months ago, when once again funding ran out. During the gap in employment I tried to kick off a freelance web development thing. What's the best way to represent this sequence of events?

A: Monthly timeline in detail, omitting the two weeks of contract work.

University of Limited Funding: Aug 2007 - Oct 2010
Lab manager, etc.

Freelancers R US Nov 2010 - April 2012
Web development and more.

University of Limited Funding April 2012 - July 2014
Lab manager, etc.

B: Condensed yearly version.

University of Limited Funding: 2007 - 2014
Lab manager, etc.

Freelancers R US 2010 - 2012
Web development and more.

I'm leaning towards A even though it clutters up the resume a bit more. I suppose I should also look at what's appropriate to chop off on early work history, though some of the stuff I'm looking at would make the earliest stuff relevant. B seems too much like I'm trying to hide something, right? What if they called to check employment and HR misses the contract in 2011? Is there another way to format this to keep it compact, succinct, and accurately reflect my employment history?

mutagen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 24, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Eskaton posted:

I'm another college freshman with a career fair coming up next week, so I scrambled this together yesterday: https://www.dropbox.com/s/meufz8414kk25me/SAcrit.pdf?dl=0

Am I doing it right?

Read the OP, do what it says, then ask again.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jromano posted:

Updating my resume for the first time since graduating (2011) and wondering if anyone can help with a few questions. For reference, all my experience is in tech field and I'm looking to round out my profile so I can start pushing for management positions.

First off
-Is it still worth putting down a high GPA?
-Should a high GMAT score be listed?
Keep the GPA if you're applying with an organization that you think might care about it. Your GMAT has value if and only if you have an MBA, and the worth is minimal even then. Leave it off.

jromano posted:

The area I'm having the most trouble with is trying to show some business savvy. I have some basic experience as a product lead; but with tech skills, it's easy to point to a certification you have in SQL or a program you developed in Java instead of just claiming to know it. I'm not really sure how to do this with business skills short of pursuing an MBA.
An MBA doesn't show that you have business skills; an MBA shows that you have an MBA. What shows you have business skills is demonstrated ability to use those skills to accomplish something for the business. An effective resume isn't a list of job descriptions with other companies -- it's a sales pitch for the ROI that a business should expect by hiring you. What did you actually accomplish at your previous jobs? Did you have any initiatives that lowered costs, improved productivity, or decreased business risk in some quantifiable way? What were the numbers? The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

jromano posted:

Right now my resume is organized as Education, Work Experience, and Professional Development. I was thinking about completing the Wharton Foundation Series (1st year MBA coursework) on Coursera to show that I'm not a stranger to basic accounting and finance, but I'm not sure that will really hold any weight. I also started looking into a Six Sigma certification, but again I don't know if there's actually any value in that. Just looking for some ideas to work on really.
Work experience comes first on a work resume unless you've just gotten a degree and have no career experience in that field yet.

Coursera classes show that you value personal development, which is great, but the

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When you're talking MBA, really, people don't really care about your coursework. They care that you have an MBA.

Don't bother with MBA coursework if you're not getting an MBA out of it. The whole point of getting an MBA is so you can put "MBA" after your name on your business card and email signature.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

don't bother with any coursework if you're not getting an degree out of it
FIFY :)

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I got my resume done by DustingDuvet and it's definitely improved from what I had, but I'd still like to have more opinions on it, as I've gotten nowhere in the past 10 months. Can you guys look it over and see if anything jumps out at you? Alternatively, has anyone used a different resume service they'd recommend? (Nothing against Duvet... but again I just want to see what someone else thinks).

https://app.box.com/s/81zsy2ucqzd6ykgoj9hm

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
So I've got an interview for a management/supervisory position at a nonprofit this coming Friday -- I told myself I'd stop working for nonprofits and focus on trying to get into either federal or state government, but this is a promising opportunity and a major upgrade over my current job. It'd be my first job involving supervising paid employees (in this instance, case managers for a social services program @ said nonprofit. I've supervised interns before.)

I have an MPA, strong experience in a diverse array of fields, have coordinated and implemented programs @ other nonprofits previously. My main question is, if it goes well, and it gets to the stage where the company is considering an offer, the salary was listed as "negotiable". I looked up this nonprofit's 990 forms and the Executive Director made about $95,000 two years ago. There'd basically be one person on the hierarchy between me and the ED with this position. There's about 6 other managers/supervisors who I think would be roughly on the same level as me. My current salary is $38,000, although they did not ask for it yet.

Could I request $50,000 as my starting point, and negotiate from there? Is that too much? I've never had to really negotiate for a salary before.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Susical posted:

I got my resume done by DustingDuvet and it's definitely improved from what I had, but I'd still like to have more opinions on it, as I've gotten nowhere in the past 10 months.

What kinds of jobs are you applying for?

It seems like most of your work experience could fall under the accounting umbrella, not necessarily finance. I worked at a company that called the accounting department the "finance department" so I don't think people have clear distinctions of the differences. Maybe you could increase interest by grouping the accounting skills together and the finance skills separately?

Is the version you posted the one you paid money for?

I'm not sure what all the capitalized words in the "summary of qualifications" is all about. In English, we capitalize proper nouns. We also capitalize job titles if they're actually titles, but we don't capitalize job descriptions. So like "Senior Vice President Mark Johnson" is correct, as is "Mark Johnson, the senior vice president for sales."

The body looks pretty wall-of-text-y to me. Bullet point lists are used so readers can quickly identify key facts or issues clearly. If the whole thing is a bullet list, what's the point?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

posh spaz posted:

What kinds of jobs are you applying for?

It seems like most of your work experience could fall under the accounting umbrella, not necessarily finance. I worked at a company that called the accounting department the "finance department" so I don't think people have clear distinctions of the differences. Maybe you could increase interest by grouping the accounting skills together and the finance skills separately?

Is the version you posted the one you paid money for?

I'm not sure what all the capitalized words in the "summary of qualifications" is all about. In English, we capitalize proper nouns. We also capitalize job titles if they're actually titles, but we don't capitalize job descriptions. So like "Senior Vice President Mark Johnson" is correct, as is "Mark Johnson, the senior vice president for sales."

The body looks pretty wall-of-text-y to me. Bullet point lists are used so readers can quickly identify key facts or issues clearly. If the whole thing is a bullet list, what's the point?

Thanks. I'm applying for financial analyst positions. The "Billing Analyst" on my resume is accounting-esque, but I'm not an accountant nor do I know how to be one. I'd like to move into more of a finance/business role, closer to the "Financial Analyst" part of my resume.

This is the final version that I paid for, I just took out specific names. I've been told that it's pretty long, but I'm absolute poo poo at writing and don't know what to edit (hence why I bought the service... and why I also work with numbers) :)

Im A Lime fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 24, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

railroad terror posted:

My current salary is $38,000, although they did not ask for it yet.

Do not tell them what you're making now. It's not germane in any way. Your current salary is for your current job. Are you applying for your current job, or a different job? Can you go to a car lot and say "My current car is worth $20,000, so I'll take that Porsche for $20,000, thank you."?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Susical posted:

Thanks. I'm applying for financial analyst positions.

I really don't think your resume reads like one for a financial analyst.

I'm looking for financial analyst jobs too, and here's a pretty typical description from UL:

"Responsible for financial research projects and analysis including rates of return, projections, sensitivity analysis, financial or expense projects which may impact future financial results.
Calculates the financial impact of opportunities, which may include projected returns on investment, or payback periods for proposed capital expenditures or other investments.
Provides periodic reports and special based on UL’s financial performance.
Interprets the positive and negative impacts financial budgets and forecasts will have on the company.
Extracts statistical and informative reports from the Financial System for review and analysis.
Prepares and analyzes major financial forecasts which may include budgetary, expense, staffing or economic forecasts.
Compiles and prepares reports, graphs and charts of data developed.
Recommends operational changes based on financial analyses.
Provide ad hoc reporting as requested
Assist with month end close activities including various analysis, and collaboration with accounting staff"

You work experience doesn't really sound similar to that at all. If it was similar, you should make your resume reflect that. Right now it reads like a project manager's or an internal accountant's resume.

Here are some of my critiques of your resume, with some questions, and some changes made:

"A Financial Analyst (was that your title? if not it's "financial analyst") with three years of corporate finance [work] experience, specializing in the development, management, implementation, and support of finance, billing, and cost control systems, processes, and procedures.

Software: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint (so, the Microsoft Office suite?), MS Outlook (you can use email? WOW!!!1!!!). Oracle Database, Wide Area Workflow, Exostar

Accounting: Recording payments received, tracking commissions, tacking late and non-payments, matching invoices (what is that? are you talking about accounts payable?), budget creation, budget analysis (what kind? DCF? Cost variance? the former is finance, the latter is accounting), planning (what kind?), sales and (financial? weather?) forecasting."

Your graduation date is on the right-hand side of the page, but the employment dates are on the left. Move the graduation date to the left too. Everyone knows a Bachelor of Science is a BS, there's no reason to include that.

I don't really want to do all your work for you, but here's an example.

Created an annual budget and updated it monthly with financials to compare budgeted and actual costs as the Program Control Officer (PCO) for the five-year, $59.5MM RTS-MED contract. (wtf is RTS-MED?)

Approved [or rejected] (if you could approve them, then of course you could reject them) all [monthly RTS-MED] hiring [actions] while ensuring labor changes were within (passive voice) budgets. (Also, why would you approve them if they weren't within the budget?)

So this: "Approved or rejected all monthly RTS-MED hiring actions while ensuring labor changes were within budgets."

Becomes this: "Approved all project hiring decisions"

Here's what a bulleted list should look like:

As the Program Control Officer (PCO) for a $59.5mm Regional Training Site-Medical contract, I executed the following tasks:
* Created and updated annual and monthly budgets.
* Managed $11MM in annual operating and expense budgets.
* Reviewed contract bid requirements.
* Tracked project progress and adjusted budgets based on business trends and progress.
* Identified trends in labor, travel and overhead costs.
* Approved all project hiring decisions.
* Prepared and delivered monthly risk and opportunity reports to management.
* Delivered quarterly Estimate-At-Completion (EAC) and Program Management Review presentations.

As the PCO, I achieved the following results:
* Saved more than two weeks of work per year by automating monthly budgeting functions.
* Created a 15% profit in the contract’s first year by controlling costs and identifying areas of improvement.

Also, maybe ask for your money back, since that resume looks kind of like a train wreck.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Well, that sure makes me feel like a poop idiot. Thanks for the feedback. I work in defense contracting, which is a pretty niche thing, I guess I would be more of a "program/project financial analyst." I am looking to get out of DoD stuff and into more "corporate America" as I think now is the time to get out or else I'm going to be stuck here forever. My mind totally blanks when it comes to editing/writing/making things sound nice so I'm going to keep working on it and ask for more help. I always did think it looked like a loving essay, though. :/

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Susical posted:

My mind totally blanks when it comes to editing/writing/making things sound nice so I'm going to keep working on it and ask for more help.

I think Orwell's 6 questions and 6 rules are a good starting place:

What am I trying to say?
What words will express it?
What image or idiom will make it clearer?
Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
Could I put it more shortly?
Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
Never use a long word where a short one will do.
If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
Never use the passive where you can use the active.
Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Google "Politics and the English Language" if you want to read the whole essay.

Susical posted:

I always did think it looked like a loving essay, though.

I agree. I think it's safe to assume whoever is reading your resume is lazy. They're reading your resume, asking themselves "Why should I loving care about this rear end in a top hat?" Clarity and brevity are your friends. If you can't answer that question in a concise, succinct manner, it's not likely they'll read it. I sure as hell hated reading your resume. If I had a stack of 100 to read before lunch, it'd be an easy one to bin.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Interviewed with a recruiter. 2 weeks later, had a double interview with the two managers. Two weeks later:

quote:

Hi Liam,

I am very overdue in getting back in touch. Do you have some time to talk on Thursday afternoon?

HOLY SHITE.

DO YOU THINK THIS IS IT? IS IT?

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

FrozenVent posted:

When you're talking MBA, really, people don't really care about your coursework. They care that you have an MBA.

Don't bother with MBA coursework if you're not getting an MBA out of it. The whole point of getting an MBA is so you can put "MBA" after your name on your business card and email signature.

I'd be even more aggressive than that: The whole point of getting an MBA is on-campus job interviews.

Liam Emsa posted:

Interviewed with a recruiter. 2 weeks later, had a double interview with the two managers. Two weeks later:

HOLY SHITE.

DO YOU THINK THIS IS IT? IS IT?

I got one of those emails, there were still two more rounds, then reference checks. :smith:

Good luck though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

posh spaz posted:

Do not tell them what you're making now. It's not germane in any way. Your current salary is for your current job. Are you applying for your current job, or a different job? Can you go to a car lot and say "My current car is worth $20,000, so I'll take that Porsche for $20,000, thank you."?
This is so, so easier said than done, to the point where if some of you more experienced folks could give example answers to this question, I'll bet a lot of people would appreciate it. It's so hard to answer this and not sound/feel like a dick about it. Plus, if you do screw up and answer it, at least it can help you avoid the pain of going through half a dozen interviews and then finding out the job pays half what you need.

Liam Emsa posted:

Who's to say if you get an offer, but if the guy makes you wait until Thursday's call to tell you you didn't get the job, I'm confident that whatever punishment you come up with, no jury will ever find you guilty.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I applied to a job on Career Builder (which I don't even remember doing), then apparently applied again later through LinkedIn, and then I was referred to a recruiter who took a look at my resume and said I'd be a perfect fit for the same job. She forwarded my resume to the company who rejected it because they had denied me based off of my LinkedIn application.

That was last week. Today I get a call and an email from the company saying they receive my resume on Career Builder and from the recruiter and have scheduled my for a phone call tomorrow morning. No mention of the LinkedIn application.

This is my 4th job that I've done a phone screen for in the last 2 weeks. I have another one this afternoon and another one next Tuesday. It's better than the numerous rejection emails that have piled up but I am really hoping one of these actually leads to an in-person interview soon.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Can I share a pet peeve real quick?

When I set an interview for a perspective team member at 8:30 am on a Monday, it's because I want to have a cup of coffee, triage my inbox, and make sure my team is on track before spending several hours hosting the interview. Don't show up at 8:03. I'm not enough of a dick to make you sit there for half an hour. But I sure want to.

Likewise, if I get HR to pay $2k to fly you out for an interview, don't be 45 minutes late without calling. It makes me look stupid.

Hyperbole aside, being early is annoying. Being late is a deal breaker. If you're in an unfamiliar town for an interview, drive from your hotel to the interview site the night before to make sure you know how to get there. If you find yourself 30 minutes early, go get a cup of coffee and a doughnut. Or drive around for 25 minutes.

The correct time to show up for an interview is 2-5 minutes early.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Dik Hz posted:

The correct time to show up for an interview is 2-5 minutes early.

I think that's just like, your personal deal. Most people don't mind when people are early. Asking them to wait until the scheduled time isn't being a jerk. Asking them to wait 30 minutes past when the appointment was scheduled to start is being a jerk.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

posh spaz posted:

I think that's just like, your personal deal. Most people don't mind when people are early. Asking them to wait until the scheduled time isn't being a jerk. Asking them to wait 30 minutes past when the appointment was scheduled to start is being a jerk.

This person showed up at 8 for an 8:30 interview.

Also I'd say 2-5 early is pushing it, 10 is always sound in most people's books. Enough time to go through any check-in procedures and whatnot.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Shugojin posted:

This person showed up at 8 for an 8:30 interview.

I've done that and I got the job. I was coming in from out of town, the office was in an industrial park so I couldn't go somewhere to get a coffee, I didn't feel like sitting in my car for 30min.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

posh spaz posted:

I've done that and I got the job. I was coming in from out of town, the office was in an industrial park so I couldn't go somewhere to get a coffee, I didn't feel like sitting in my car for 30min.

That's anecdotal. Besides I think the bigger point here is to take a moment to look at things from the hiring manager's point of view once in a while, whatever their situation may be.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

timp posted:

That's anecdotal.

Everything everyone shares here is anecdotal. What's your point?

I've heard of hiring managers who get offended if you're not at least 15min early. You can't plan for every way the hiring manager might be insane.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

jackpot posted:

This is so, so easier said than done, to the point where if some of you more experienced folks could give example answers to this question, I'll bet a lot of people would appreciate it. It's so hard to answer this and not sound/feel like a dick about it. Plus, if you do screw up and answer it, at least it can help you avoid the pain of going through half a dozen interviews and then finding out the job pays half what you need.

I'm not personally an expert but here's a really really good blog post about this, with a 15 minute video that's specifically about what to do when pressed for your "number." http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/salary-negotiation/

The first few paragraphs aren't super relevant, but both videos are very much worth it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
This is almost stupid to ask but I am thirsting for some anecdotal evidence and conjecture here...

I interviewed at a job out of state that flew me out and did a half-day interview. The interview went well and I felt like I had a good chance. I just received an email at 5:05pm today that I didn't see until an hour ago which I will paste below:

quote:

Hi SYSTRAN—

If you have time tomorrow, I’d like to call and give you an update on the status of our search.

Let me know if there’s a time that would work well for you (and which number you would prefer I use).

Thanks,
NAME

The email is from the head of the organization and the main person who ran the interview. I have interviewed a lot at very similar positions/organizations, and they have never done this. One place just called and told me I didn't get the job via voicemail, and three just emailed me and told me I didn't get it.

I feel like if I didn't get the job, it would be weird to drag it out like this. If I did get it, it would also be somewhat odd. Is it possible she is actually just going to give me a status update and say that they are close to a decision? I told her she could call me at 9:00am tomorrow, but I really want the job and this has my hopes way up now.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

systran posted:

This is almost stupid to ask but I am thirsting for some anecdotal evidence and conjecture here...

I interviewed at a job out of state that flew me out and did a half-day interview. The interview went well and I felt like I had a good chance. I just received an email at 5:05pm today that I didn't see until an hour ago which I will paste below:

The email is from the head of the organization and the main person who ran the interview. I have interviewed a lot at very similar positions/organizations, and they have never done this. One place just called and told me I didn't get the job via voicemail, and three just emailed me and told me I didn't get it.

I feel like if I didn't get the job, it would be weird to drag it out like this. If I did get it, it would also be somewhat odd. Is it possible she is actually just going to give me a status update and say that they are close to a decision? I told her she could call me at 9:00am tomorrow, but I really want the job and this has my hopes way up now.

It's either a reject or a "we're still looking". They won't email to ask if they can call to offer you a job. In my experience, I'd lean more towards reject. Keep us posted!

Re: arrival times, as a hiring manager, 15 minutes is the absolute earliest you should be. Reception is going to call me when you get here and I am going to feel obligated to go entertain you if you are any earlier than that. Within 15 minutes, I'll just have you wait until the appointed time.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Bisty Q. posted:

Re: arrival times, as a hiring manager, 15 minutes is the absolute earliest you should be. Reception is going to call me when you get here and I am going to feel obligated to go entertain you if you are any earlier than that. Within 15 minutes, I'll just have you wait until the appointed time.

So if I show up 15 min early, I wait 15 min. If I show up 20min early, I wait 0 zero min? Can you elaborate on why you feel obligated to see them immediately only when they're 15+ min early?

Everyone knows what time the interview is, but, because of reasons, if the interviewee is slightly too early (by your secret/personal standards) it makes you uncomfortable enough to drop everything you're doing? That sounds irrational and unprofessional to me.

The real question is, how many of those early people lost out on the job solely because they were too early?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Why are you so defensive about this?

It's good to be early, but just don't walk inside if you are more than fifteen minutes early. If you go in really early, you are actively making people uncomfortable and inconvenienced since they know you are just sitting there waiting. Is that an impression you want to make?

I usually arrive about thirty minutes early and make sure I know exactly where the place I am interviewing is, then I just go wait outside (I am usually interviewing on a university campus). This way you can arrive five minutes early to the actual interview place and they will be ready to start when you get there. You'll make a good impression that you are punctual and respect their time enough not to go in really early and sit in a lobby, likely wearing nicer clothes than everyone else there, stressing people out.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I finished updating my resume after taking the advice in this thread. I think it turned out pretty well. Would anyone be able to critique? Thanks

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6lKKDvyVTExZ0dmRWZXQkFwbzc1bUo1c0YxSllJbThLVFlZ/edit?usp=docslist_api

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

systran posted:

Why are you so defensive about this?

It's good to be early, but just don't walk inside if you are more than fifteen minutes early. If you go in really early, you are actively making people uncomfortable and inconvenienced since they know you are just sitting there waiting. Is that an impression you want to make?

If you're stressed out by interviewees showing up in your lobby, maybe you should become a librarian? Or just like, grow up? Doctors, mechanics, accountants, etc. have people show up more than 15 min early all the time, and no one gets uncomfortable, no one is inconvenienced, and no one gets stressed out.

I have no idea why hiring managers think they deserve their own special rules, unless it's some weird power thing they get off on.

Seriously, I've gotten conflicting advice about all of this, and everyone has their own personal definition of what "too late" and "too early" is, but no one is professional enough to set out their expectations clearly. If all of the hiring managers of the world would tell the candidates up front their personal weird rules, I wouldn't be so annoyed.

This is insightful to me, because after working in HR, I suspected that hiring managers were unprofessional and irrational, but I hoped it was just the people I worked with. Now I know they're all like that, so I'll try to plan around their crazy. Thanks.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If you have a very specific time you want people to show up at, shouldn't you just have your HR person who arranges the interviews just tell your candidates this time? It would save you from stress and irritation of them arriving before your preferred time and save your interviewee from sabotaging themselves because they didn't know your specific time rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

posh spaz posted:

If you're stressed out by interviewees showing up in your lobby, maybe you should become a librarian? Or just like, grow up?

This is going to vary a lot on industry/field/whatever, but in my field we work in very small units. There is usually a secretary, but he/she is usually busy and/or already helping someone, and the reception area is usually tiny with one or two chairs. If we interview someone who comes in 30 minutes early, they are sitting equidistant and a few feet away from every single person in the unit's office and our boss. When we walk around they are just there, sitting in a chair, waiting, wearing nice interview clothes. People from other units or people higher up will likely walk past a few times and have to ask, "Have you been helped already, sir/ma'am?"

It's not exactly a huge deal, but it gives you a first impression of someone who decided to walk in 30 minutes early and sit there waiting in a lobby. If you mess around on your phone you look disinterested, if you just sit there doing nothing you might look weird, if you are writing it might look like you waited until the last second to prepare; there's almost nothing you can do while sitting in a lobby because you were way too early that will make you look impressive or leave a good imrpession.