Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
On the subject of interesting quotes surrounding the first Iraq war here's George H. W. Bush in 1998 explaining why he didn't topple Saddam:

quote:

While we hoped that popular revolt or coup would topple Saddam, neither the U.S. nor the countries of the region wished to see the breakup of the Iraqi state. We were concerned about the long-term balance of power at the head of the Gulf. Trying to eliminate Saddam, extending the ground war into an occupation of Iraq, would have violated our guideline about not changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mission creep," and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible. We had been unable to find Noriega in Panama, which we knew intimately. We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs deserting it in anger and other allies pulling out as well. Under those circumstances, furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-cold war world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the U.N.'s mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the U.S. could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land. It would have been a dramatically different--and perhaps barren--outcome.

I don't like to give Gerber H. W. Bush too much credit because the humanitarian cost of the sanction he placed on Iraq was massive and was almost entirely born by the regular people of Iraq. That having been said this is a pretty interesting quote. It really drives home just how obviously terrible an idea it was for the US to invade Iraq from a geostrategic perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Helsing posted:

On the subject of interesting quotes surrounding the first Iraq war here's George H. W. Bush in 1998 explaining why he didn't topple Saddam:

I don't like to give Gerber H. W. Bush too much credit because the humanitarian cost of the sanction he placed on Iraq was massive and was almost entirely born by the regular people of Iraq. That having been said this is a pretty interesting quote. It really drives home just how obviously terrible an idea it was for the US to invade Iraq from a geostrategic perspective.

It's even weirder watching the same sentiment come out of Cheney's mouth 9 years before he went ahead and did it anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75ctsv2oPU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Helsing posted:

Cheney explained it exactly the same way back in oh, '96 or so. Goes to show some wires got crossed in the intervening years.

Edit: too slow

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Cheney explained it exactly the same way back in oh, '96 or so. Goes to show some wires got crossed in the intervening years.

Edit: too slow

No wires were crossed. We were making it clear that, in the post-9/11 world, we would not tolerate perceived threats to our security, up to and including unilateral military action.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The word "perceived" is doing a lot of work there.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How the gently caress is the right wing able to dominate the discourse like they do? It's like every shithead right-winger took classes in manipulation and yet leftists are terrible at it as a rule.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How the gently caress is the right wing able to dominate the discourse like they do? It's like every shithead right-winger took classes in manipulation and yet leftists are terrible at it as a rule.

Because here's a huge amount of power and money behind them and leftists almost by definition will never have that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

No wires were crossed. We were making it clear that, in the post-9/11 world, we would not tolerate perceived threats to our security, up to and including unilateral military action.

That Iraq somehow transformed into a threat of a nature unlike and more dangerous than in 1990 would indicate wires were crossed.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I just find it really hard to believe that they got to the point where "taxation is slavery" is a semi-widely-held and rarely questioned belief simply by shouting loud enough.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Isn't it? We don't care whether you're an actual threat, whether you have actual capability to end American existance; we care if you could be perceived as an unknown threat.

Certainly puts Obama's current foreign policy into a sharper perspective.

E:

Berke Negri posted:

That Iraq somehow transformed into a threat of a nature unlike and more dangerous than in 1990 would indicate wires were crossed.

Iraq was perceived as a threat potential to American interests post-9/11 due to an American understanding of what we'd do, were we utter bastards in Saddam's position.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Theoretically leftists have a huge amount of power....the power of people, the power of labor. However that kind of power is crippled in the way that modern society is setup and that is by design. Large scale imprisonment, propaganda, disenfranchisement(both effective and literal), patronage systems, structural inequality, etc.

Leftists can be good at messaging, the "99%" messaging was good, there's other successes, but part of the way you get messaging is media saturation and that's seldom going to work in our favor.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I just find it really hard to believe that they got to the point where "taxation is slavery" is a semi-widely-held and rarely questioned belief simply by shouting loud enough.

People have been complaining about taxes forever; it's hardly a tough one to get out there especially when you have entire media empires with the political view of reducing taxes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Isn't it? We don't care whether you're an actual threat, whether you have actual capability to end American existance; we care if you could be perceived as an unknown threat.

Certainly puts Obama's current foreign policy into a sharper perspective.

Very much so, though a certain news network and a certain political party have been wildly irresponsible this month by implying that there is a threat of ISIS coming across the US border.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Public opinion is malleable to a depressing degree.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

USA blowing up oil facilities

Not terrorism

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

euphronius posted:

Not terrorism

Terrorism's goal isn't to create shock and awe.

....hey wait a second

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Joementum posted:

Very much so, though a certain news network and a certain political party have been wildly irresponsible this month by implying that there is a threat of ISIS coming across the US border.

The Tehran-Zeta-Daesh triangular bloc is a well known perceived threat to American National security, please stop dozing off during briefings.

Edit: one of the more colorful creations of the Bush years was that of terrorist as international shadow operative commando, and not pathetic loners most have been in history

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

A certain political party has no tolerance for perceived threats. A certain political party has no tolerance for actual threats.

There, summed up the fundamental difference between the two parties in America in two sentences. And thats why I work for Democrats.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

A certain political party has no tolerance for perceived threats. A certain political party has no tolerance for actual threats.

There, summed up the fundamental difference between the two parties in America in two sentences. And thats why I work for Democrats.

Yeah, it's not like the Democratic front runner for the Presidential nomination voted in favour of the Iraq war or anything.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Helsing posted:

Yeah, it's not like the Democratic front runner for the Presidential nomination voted in favour of the Iraq war or anything.

Everyone got kind of crazy after 9/11 for awhile there, we're all very sorry world but we do think it's starting to get old to keep bringing it up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Not voting in favour of the Iraq war was, at the time, an actual threat to Democratic general candidates' reelection chances.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Joementum posted:

Avoid majorian's NATO thread- it's holding up the entire world there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mon copain Alhazred, je sera à Paris ce weekend. Où pourait-on trouve les meilleures et les moins cheres bandes dessinées?

My pal Alhazred, I will be in Paris this weekend. Where could one find the best and cheapest French comics?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember in Vancouver my hostel was a few blocks from a SkyTrain station

there was this comic store in between that had, on its front window, a figurine of some vampire teenager or something with her panties sticking up at the viewer :barf:

sad thing is, some gross nerd is probably going to drop a ton of money on it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SALT CURES HAM posted:

By lying constantly so that opponents spend their time unpacking the lies instead of dominating the discourse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Berke Negri posted:

Everyone got kind of crazy after slavery was introduced to America for awhile there, we're all very sorry black people but we do think it's starting to get old to keep bringing it up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

All joking aside, the craziness from that has still yet to let up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

All joking aside, the craziness from that has still yet to let up.

It won't let up until America next faces a greater actual threat than perceived, perceived threats.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

It won't let up until America next faces a greater actual threat than perceived, perceived threats.

>Initiate Krugman Xeno Invasion Protocol

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Berke Negri posted:

Everyone got kind of crazy after 9/11 for awhile there, we're all very sorry world but we do think it's starting to get old to keep bringing it up.

its still happening.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Have you ever sat down and thought about how successful 9/11 was from the perspective of Bin Ladin/Contemporary Al-Qaeda?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

We'll forgive you for going crazy over 9/11 if you stop asking the rest of the world to help you fix that clusterfuck you created in Iraq.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

>Call Frieden

>Ask Frieden "Will you testify before Congress on your trip?"

>Xeno Invasion Protocol Level I Initiated

E:

Helsing posted:

We'll forgive you for going crazy over 9/11 if you stop asking the rest of the world to help you fix that clusterfuck you created in Iraq.

We will cease asking you to help fix clusterfucks when you organize an effort to fix them before we need to ask you to participate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

We will cease asking you to help fix clusterfucks when you organize an effort to fix them before we need to ask you to participate.

We did.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

How did those fix the issues of the Iraq war? They didn't? You mean to say they were just protests without follow-up action to correct the root problem? Sounds awfully selfish.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Berke Negri posted:

Ozymandias was Right

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The anti-war left did not do enough to prevent the Iraq War

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

zoux posted:

Paypal is going to start taking limited bitcoin payments in certain circumstances so I don't even want to know how insufferable that community is being today

i think the ppl making the same jokes non stop are worse tbh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

visceril posted:

Our judiciary is apparently filled with robots that beep-boop are unable to compute the spirit in which a law was written and would literally allow a dog to play basketball because the law does not specifically disallow it

this is literally how common law works hope this helps. there's a few hundred years of precedents you may wish to read about.

you do have to consider every aspect of how a law is stated due to the fact that lawyers exist and represent people with incentives to abuse any possible loophole.

Zeitgueist posted:

"Wow this article in the LA times on how cornrows are the new hot fashion among white women sure is problematic"

"Why?"

Hmm clearly the problem here is my phrasing

proptip: make the complaint you have against the thing in the first place instead of using problematic as a placeholder. or you could say the thing is hosed up etc.

or even just say has problems because problematic smacks of corporatemarketspeak

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't think there's anything passive about it. Though if you think that people should instead say "it's racist as gently caress" instead of "problematic", I hear you, thats more direct, but that's what most people follow it up with so idk

yeah this is the problem with using it most of the time. "this article is problematic. it is racist" can be said muuuccch more succinctly.

euphronius posted:

Did Buckley ever go back to the main story line or is he still doing those dumb multi colored numbers players.

i believe the comic is dead now??? which is good

forbidden lesbian posted:

that thread is old gbs but i thought it had died, finally. guess you can't always get what you want

the FTC's official twitter account referenced an goon run bitcoin mocking website as part of official business this week

euphronius posted:

Not terrorism

standard war there, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nintendo Kid posted:

this is literally how common law works hope this helps. there's a few hundred years of precedents you may wish to read about.

you do have to consider every aspect of how a law is stated due to the fact that lawyers exist and represent people with incentives to abuse any possible loophole.

proptip: make the complaint you have against the thing in the first place instead of using problematic as a placeholder. or you could say the thing is hosed up etc.

or even just say has problems because problematic smacks of corporatemarketspeak

yeah this is the problem with using it most of the time. "this article is problematic. it is racist" can be said muuuccch more succinctly.

i believe the comic is dead now??? which is good

the FTC's official twitter account referenced an goon run bitcoin mocking website as part of official business this week

standard war there, op

wow zeitgueists post and your response might be quite literally impossible to read despite it being written in my native language, the likes of which i would contend i have a relatively strong command over

• Locked thread