Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
102k UA looking to push to 124k? I either need to stretch one or two of those trips or contemplate a MR to get the +2 RPUs.

42 nights in Hilton. Will definitely cover the requal for diamond. UA gives me Marriott gold so I'm good there fwiw. Lotta nights in marriott or off brand this year.

12? rentals with hertz will probably get a few more but may not reqaul for prez circle. Could do a couple rentals on my own but lot of my rental locations have failed to deliver anything special including not having my can ready or under a canopy (space 789, WTF?!!) sooo...whats the loving point of status with hertz anyhow. gently caress em. Last car had 55.7k on it. It was already my second car after refusing the initial car so I took it to not be a jerk. No electronic fob...what a beater.gently caress hertz.

I have another 26k in award travel this year. Prague in lufty 1st (748i, drool) and a few hops around Asia next month all in J... Its been a good year alright. Sayonara butt in seat reward miles next year tho, boo united.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

102k UA looking to push to 124k? I either need to stretch one or two of those trips or contemplate a MR to get the +2 RPUs.

42 nights in Hilton. Will definitely cover the requal for diamond. UA gives me Marriott gold so I'm good there fwiw. Lotta nights in marriott or off brand this year.

12? rentals with hertz will probably get a few more but may not reqaul for prez circle. Could do a couple rentals on my own but lot of my rental locations have failed to deliver anything special including not having my can ready or under a canopy (space 789, WTF?!!) sooo...whats the loving point of status with hertz anyhow. gently caress em. Last car had 55.7k on it. It was already my second car after refusing the initial car so I took it to not be a jerk. No electronic fob...what a beater.gently caress hertz.

That's the boat I was in; since I made 1K, I was considering taking CX or some other airline that I wouldn't normally get to travel on for my upcoming CTU trip, but then I did the math and figured that the extra upgrades will come in handy next year.

And yeah, I'm glad I got grandfathered in for Avis President's Club because I have had almost nothing positive to say in my dealings with Hertz. I'm sure there are many stories of the opposite being true, but that's what has worked for me.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
United: 97.3k/10k PQM for 1K. Should get this on my next trip.
Marriott: 90 nights, got Platinum.
Hyatt: 18 nights. I think I met the terms of the Diamond status match challenge for 2015?
SPG: Platinum challenge status runs out this year. 0 nights.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Is anyone finding any problem getting their mqd/pqd north of the qualifying 10c per mile mark to hit their tier spend point? Unless you are constantly commuting on the tourist routes, or you are a straight up mile runner, i don't know how you get below the 10cpm range.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

Is anyone finding any problem getting their mqd/pqd north of the qualifying 10c per mile mark to hit their tier spend point? Unless you are constantly commuting on the tourist routes, or you are a straight up mile runner, i don't know how you get below the 10cpm range.

Yeah, most of my tickets this year have been pretty cheap. Only one full Y fare and lots of L,U,T type fares. But my spend has always been ahead of my miles. Even so I'm going to take a huge dive in earnings next year if I don't switch to AA.

My trip last week was S on the way out and Q on the way back, 9,270 redeemable miles earned on a not-deep-discount fare. Next year that same trip would be 4,528 miles. Less than half.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 23, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, most of my tickets this year have been pretty cheap. Only one full Y fare and lots of L,U,T type fares. But my spend has always been ahead of my miles. Even so I'm going to take a huge dive in earnings next year if I don't switch to AA.

My trip last week was S on the way out and Q on the way back, 9,270 redeemable miles earned on a not-deep-discount fare. Next year that same trip would be 4,528 miles. Less than half.

It also depends on how far you're going. Long haul cheap fares are taking it in the shorts for sure. But the one-way ticket I'm on right now AUS-ORD-CLT was $452, Q fare and a T fare under United's lovely married segment logic. I'd earn about twice the amount of miles for this same ticket next year.

The game is just getting tougher as companies get smarter.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I think my earnings will go down anywhere from 35-50%. Nothing to be done about it as painful as it may be there is no way AA meets my needs in and out of SEA. Plus I'm not liking the beginning of Parker era which is just beginning.

I think ill be doing a more int'l next year, which means my cc spend will go up and thus award miles. Still, I'm gonna miss the some awesome vacations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Are you not on AS?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

As I have further to go than California and Idaho, which is not limited to JFK or MCO, I would have to get on a DL or AA flight anyhow after stop so I never really considered AS an option. Its DL or UA for me. I prefer *A over skypesos.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Work announced this week that we're dumping our corporate contract with Hertz and going to National/Enterprise.

I'm not too upset - 10 years ago Hertz would bend over backwards. Today, they're expensive, their service sucks, and their cars are thrashed.

On the other hand, I rarely have good experience with Enterprise - for the same reason as above but at least they're cheap. And I've refused several of their cars because of appallingly nasty interiors. Hopefully the National side of the house is better (and they're starting everyone out with executive elite status).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Goober Peas posted:

Work announced this week that we're dumping our corporate contract with Hertz and going to National/Enterprise.

I'm not too upset - 10 years ago Hertz would bend over backwards. Today, they're expensive, their service sucks, and their cars are thrashed.

On the other hand, I rarely have good experience with Enterprise - for the same reason as above but at least they're cheap. And I've refused several of their cars because of appallingly nasty interiors. Hopefully the National side of the house is better (and they're starting everyone out with executive elite status).

My company did the same thing a year ago, including starting everyone out with status, and it owns. Most of my rentals have been at busy airports so I might be getting a limited viewpoint. But the cars I have gotten have been miles above what Hertz was giving me even as a President's Circle member.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I need to find a status challenge so I can dump Hertz. When i started nearly a decade ago they kept their cars for no more than 40K and their cars we're always decent compared to Avis (back then, no clue now), but now they keep them till 60K. 40k rental miles is a loving lot of hard miles. Stinky rear end poo poo boxes I get at busy airports is ridiculous. I get better cars in the weirdest mid sized airports. Also Prez Circle is a joke because something silly like 80% of hertz locations are franchised and under no obligation to give you dick other than the points bonus for your status.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think I've said this before but National's status is about a billion times better than Hertz.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

As I have further to go than California and Idaho, which is not limited to JFK or MCO, I would have to get on a DL or AA flight anyhow after stop so I never really considered AS an option. Its DL or UA for me. I prefer *A over skypesos.

To each their own - you earn AS qualifying miles on both DL and AA though, and you're going to be just as hosed as Skymiles going forward.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To each their own - you earn AS qualifying miles on both DL and AA though, and you're going to be just as hosed as Skymiles going forward.

Which would give me top tier status for 1/2 the journey then honored guest mid tier for the rest. I don't fancy the irrops handling on any partner flights and how you can get punted about. Also int'l flights which I take a few each year I enjoy upgrade certs...AS just doesn't work for me. As for DL, after the deval this year, for which I had ample warning from UA and have had exceptional accommodation changing itins after the cutoff date, the way DL handle it was sudden without warning....that spooks me. No doubt DL diamonds get better product on upgrades but, if I am to believe the bloggers at upgrd dot com, whose business include booking award travel for a fee, the partner availability is way better on with UA/*A than with DL.

It does all boil down to a personal decision based first on if the airline gets you where you need to go in a timely manner and what you value in a program's benefits. I thought hard after the devals, downgrades to service, downgauged planes and eroding of benefits post merger. I'll stick with ua, even tho I'd love to leave sometimes, this is where it stands for now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Totally fair, especially with irrops. I didn't feel under-warned about the Skymiles devaluation, but part of that is you could see it coming from miles off if you were paying any kind of attention.

Travel on DL partners, other than AS, AirFrance/KLM, and Virgin, pretty much blows, so you're definitely right there.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I recently stayed at a Hilton property (Hampton) using points. Noticed a big blood stain right in the middle of the top pillow on the bed. When I notified the staff they didn't really care and offered to give me a new pillow case, but that was about it. I'm sure it was probably washed/bleached prior to going on the bed - I hope - but that was a pretty big :wtf:. Is it worth contacting HHonors about it? Just sucks wasting a bunch of points on a room that may or may not be contaminated.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Yes. Exposure to bodily fluids is not acceptable.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Southwest running their double points promotion, and I am raking these points in. I am A List Preferred, which means I already earn double points, and this current promotion is double ON TOP of that, giving me 4x points. When I buy a business select fare, I am effectively earning $67.20 return in fixed points value on every $100 of client's money. Thanks everyone.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Untagged posted:

I recently stayed at a Hilton property (Hampton) using points. Noticed a big blood stain right in the middle of the top pillow on the bed. When I notified the staff they didn't really care and offered to give me a new pillow case, but that was about it. I'm sure it was probably washed/bleached prior to going on the bed - I hope - but that was a pretty big :wtf:. Is it worth contacting HHonors about it? Just sucks wasting a bunch of points on a room that may or may not be contaminated.

Yes. You'll probably get a nice chunk of points and possibly a free night certificate for your trouble. And hopefully the staff will get yelled at for not giving a poo poo.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Nifty posted:

Southwest running their double points promotion, and I am raking these points in. I am A List Preferred, which means I already earn double points, and this current promotion is double ON TOP of that, giving me 4x points. When I buy a business select fare, I am effectively earning $67.20 return in fixed points value on every $100 of client's money. Thanks everyone.

I'm flying WN for the first time in several years on Friday on a Business Select fare. Interested to see how it goes.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I stay mostly at Hampton Inns as o trave a lot to rural parts. They're a mixed bag frankly, and I prefer Hilton Garden Inn when the rate is within 20 bucks of a nearby Hampton. I fell like they have better QC from location to location.

I was staying at the shittiest Hampton Inn I've ever been at in north Tucson and I kept seeing this creepy looking dude in the parking lot in his beater minivan staring at people. Then I saw him walking around the building so I asked the front desk if they wanted to do something about him. They told me "oh that's Glen, our security guy. We've had lots of break ins recently"
They couldn't have picked a less obvious security guard if they tried

Then again the Hamptons in New Orleans and Savannah are some really good places with generally good rates.

You can call them or write a catty review on trip advisor. Usually that gets their attention.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Generally been pretty lucky and had great experiences at most Hampton Inns I've stayed at but there have been a few that drag the brand down to like 90's Days Inn Econo Lodge vibe for quality. Most of the other Hilton brands are pretty consistent. This trip was for a special event and the hotel was right there and it was points cheap so welp.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Most brands seem to have bad apples. I was doing doubletrees for a while because I kept hitting these awesome rates then I went to one that kind of blew. Not every building can be updated every 10 years or have a huge land area I guess.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like the occasionally lovely hotel. It reminds me of traveling as a kid. Granted, I only spend a night-or-two in them. Though I did have a long-term stay at a real lovely place but it was cool and local "motel" style so I was able to turn it into my swinging bachelor pad pseudo-apartment for two weeks.

It's fun. There is sterility to mid-range hotels that is kinda soul crushing. I'm less likely to get dinged spending less money than I am spending more money, so if I want to mix it up I've got that option.

When I'm killing it, I'll indulge and get my novelty by going up because, well, I've earned it. But I don't want to abuse that and be labeled a spendthrift.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

There is sterility to mid-range hotels that is kinda soul crushing.

I stay at Hilton Garden Inns if at all possible (I'm at one right now), but this is the first time I've seen the feeling articulated so clearly. I find it comforting to know I'm going to find a "known" experience most likely, but after about an hour in the room I get this "oh right I could be in any HGI almost anywhere in the country" realization.

Back when I was bouncing around to multiple cities in a week, I had several instances where I woke up and didn't know where I was. Generic hotels don't help with stuff like that.

oxsnard posted:

I stay mostly at Hampton Inns as o trave a lot to rural parts. They're a mixed bag frankly, and I prefer Hilton Garden Inn when the rate is within 20 bucks of a nearby Hampton. I fell like they have better QC from location to location.

I noticed this as well. I used to favor Hampton Inns until I had a run of like 4 lovely ones.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 25, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I stick a bunch of pictures and a goofy fridge magnet up when I'm staying longer than a day or two. Helps with that feeling

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If any mid tier hotel chain could manage to have not-poo poo coffee I would jump ship in a heartbeat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oxsnard posted:

If any mid tier hotel chain could manage to have not-poo poo coffee I would jump ship in a heartbeat

Just do what I do and embrace the shittiness of bad coffee. It's like drinking a bunch of Natty Light or something; destination, not journey.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys any of you have co-workers like this person?

Math Debater posted:

Thailand is such an amazingly awesome place, and I'm getting so fat here! So it's my last night in Hua Hin and I finished my TESOL course and I'm leaving tomorrow to go back to Bangkok, and I'll start working as a substitute teacher in Bangkok next week. So I decided to celebrate by going out and eating a big veggie pizza at a restaurant called Aglio Olio. And then I went to a place called Bear's Cafe and got a waffle covered with chocolate sauce and a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream. And then after leaving Bear's Cafe, I stopped at a little outdoor food stand because I saw some yummy looking sweet rolls. And I tried to buy three of the sweet rolls, but the woman at the stand insisted that I take them for free! Like, I kept trying to give her money, but she yelled "No! Free!" And she ended up giving me four sweet rolls and a pack of tasty-looking fruit snacks for free! I've attached a photo of all of the stuff that the woman at the food stand gave to me for free to this post.

I'm going to have to buy bigger clothes very soon if I keep eating like this. Yay for yummy and inexpensive (and sometimes free!) food in Thailand! Oh, and I always tip like 25%+ whenever I eat at restaurants and cafes and food stands in Thailand. I wonder how normal this is? It seems like a nice thing for me to do, and it could be helping me to accrue spiritual merit. I hope I have a nice time living and teaching in Bangkok! Thanks for reading my post, friends!

I do understand being enthusiastic over things, but the lack of self awareness feels really really weird to me :goonsay: Feel like I'm getting trolled or something

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Am I just not seasoned enough in travel? Dude seems to be having a nice time doing normal things.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I normally stay at Marriott's, I prefer Springhill Suites but Fairfield is totally fine. Courtyards are a little too corporate feeling and the bar proximity is not a healthy thing for me.

I did have to stay in a Howard Johnson last month due to last minute booking and there was blood all over the shower curtain head-level :stare: I can rough it, but that was disturbing

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Hampton's Robust blend used to be decent and very consistent but they hosed with it sometime in the beginning of this year. Hamptons and hgi my go tos, consistency is lacking and Hampton's can be horrific but I have to say I'm getting petty annoyed with the amount of busted sleep number beds I'm encountering these days at hgi is enough to put me off the brand.

As for Ernest Goes to Bangkok, tippers in non tipping places annoy the gently caress out of me. If you only knew how gauche you look throwing your money around like that.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Am I just not seasoned enough in travel? Dude seems to be having a nice time doing normal things.

You don't tip in Thailand

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

But he's The Great White Angel, accruing spiritual merit through Good Works, saving lives by throwing that worthless savage currency at people wherever he goes....

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 26, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

i81icu812 posted:

You don't tip in Thailand

Ah ok, got it now.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Xguard86 posted:

Ah ok, got it now.

In the rest of the world aside from North America, really.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Homewood Suites is my Hilton brand of choice, but that is largely because of their free dinner they serve Mon - Thurs. It's not the best but its acceptable and hey its free and I like spending less money when its available. Breakfast is lacking compared to cook to order Garden Inn/Embassy Suites/Doubletree, but it is better than Hampton Inn. Also all the Homewood Suites rooms are (guess what?!) two-room so that's cool too. Oh yeah, requal'd Hilton Diamond a couple days ago woooo

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I agree, Homewoods are a good one. Never have had their dinner. For that matter, never have had a dinner at hgi, either. Hampton breakfasts are the worst. I get feeling pretty low when I'm in bumfucknowhere and its Hampton breakfasts all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If business took me to USA, I would be eating McGriddles every morning :downsrim: