Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does backing up and restoring to a computer that's not my PC that I normally connect my phone to cause any issue? I usually use my home desktop and I'm at work now and need to fix my 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I want the wallpaper on that phone.

It's in this gallery of iPhone 6 wallpapers on Imgur.

Here's a direct link to the image.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're the loving best SWSP.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thank you sex parrot.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My precious 5C was stolen by evil thugs. I can't receive messages on my burner WP shitphone from any of my cool friends that still have iPhones, but I can't bear to remove the old gal from my devices list on F My iP, because it says that will make it possible for other people to use it, and ... she was just too good for that :saddowns:.

...and..it could still be powered back on at some point, and I'd be able to track it down, right? :smith:

I can still get iMessages on my Mac, but not getting texts on my phone from 80% of my contacts is getting unworkable. I thought I could tough it out until I get a 6 in a month or so, but not really. What can I do? Do I have to sign off on letting my precious turn tricks on the corner with other users to get myself back onto SMS with my iPhone-having assholes friends?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I can still get iMessages on my Mac, but not getting texts on my phone from 80% of my contacts is getting unworkable. I thought I could tough it out until I get a 6 in a month or so, but not really. What can I do? Do I have to sign off on letting my precious turn tricks on the corner with other users to get myself back onto SMS with my iPhone-having assholes friends?

Call Apple. They should be able to de-iMessage you.

If you haven't already, put the phone in Lost Mode too.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So the new Poetic Atmosphere I ordered for the 6 showed up today. Here's some initial impressions:

+ The thing fits great. Unlike the photos on the Amazon page, the rubber stripes on the back actually line up perfectly on the plastic antenna separation bands on the phone.

+ The bottom bit isn't floppy any more! It's now fully molded with cutouts for the headphone jack/mic, lightning port, and speaker. I've tried both official Apple and Monoprice lightning cables, and they both fit great.

+ It doesn't add much bulk to the phone at all. There's an ~.75 mm lip around the screen so it won't lay on the screen, and about +1.2 mm on each side other than that.

- The added rubber around the camera opening makes that seem even thicker, but it's actually not that noticeable in practice.

- The button covers (for lock and volume) are WAY stiffer than on the 5/5S Atmosphere. Hopefully they'll break in some, because it takes way more force to actuate the buttons and it's much harder to feel the feedback of the click.

- The entire exposed plastic surface is glossy, instead of the nice light satin finish on the 5/5S Atmosphere. I expect it'll show scratches much more readily.

Still, not bad for $8! Recommended again as a sub-$10 case if you can get it for that (prices are kinda volatile, vendors on Amazon constantly changing).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
So here we are about 6 hours into that 8.0.1 situation, and nothing has happened yet. As Steve Jobs or Tim Cook, I'd have given the people responsible an hour to make a revert to 8.0.0 available OTA (no iTunes BS). I'd also like to see an official statement by Tim Cook.

I'm really wondering if anyone is minding the store.

In the future, there needs to be a "revert" option.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Schpyder posted:

So the new Poetic Atmosphere I ordered for the 6 showed up today. Here's some initial impressions:

+ The thing fits great. Unlike the photos on the Amazon page, the rubber stripes on the back actually line up perfectly on the plastic antenna separation bands on the phone.

+ The bottom bit isn't floppy any more! It's now fully molded with cutouts for the headphone jack/mic, lightning port, and speaker. I've tried both official Apple and Monoprice lightning cables, and they both fit great.

+ It doesn't add much bulk to the phone at all. There's an ~.75 mm lip around the screen so it won't lay on the screen, and about +1.2 mm on each side other than that.

- The added rubber around the camera opening makes that seem even thicker, but it's actually not that noticeable in practice.

- The button covers (for lock and volume) are WAY stiffer than on the 5/5S Atmosphere. Hopefully they'll break in some, because it takes way more force to actuate the buttons and it's much harder to feel the feedback of the click.

- The entire exposed plastic surface is glossy, instead of the nice light satin finish on the 5/5S Atmosphere. I expect it'll show scratches much more readily.

Still, not bad for $8! Recommended again as a sub-$10 case if you can get it for that (prices are kinda volatile, vendors on Amazon constantly changing).

I loved that case for my 5, I'll definitely be picking it up for my 6. Thanks for the heads up.

flavor posted:

So here we are about 6 hours into that 8.0.1 situation, and nothing has happened yet. As Steve Jobs or Tim Cook, I'd have given the people responsible an hour to make a revert to 8.0.0 available OTA (no iTunes BS). I'd also like to see an official statement by Tim Cook.

lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

flavor posted:

"Make iOS do something that it literally is designed to not do, officially. YOU HAVE ONE HOUR."

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dewgy posted:

"Make iOS do something that it literally is designed to not do, officially. YOU HAVE ONE HOUR."

Re-release iOS 8.0.0 as 8.0.2. Done.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Ooh yeah, the official policy. Very important when the phone isn't able to make phone calls. We must stick to our policy, and if it takes all our business with us.

Also, it is "literally" designed to run updates over the air, "literally". Take 8.0.0, relabel it 8.0.2, 8.0.1a or whatever, and push it real good.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
This is uncharted and unprecedented territory when it comes to the history of iPhone software. It's a pretty monumental gently caress up, very uncharacteristic of Apple.

They've shipped past versions with bugs, of course, but nothing like this, ever. It's a pretty big deal, actually.

Oh well! I agree with the guy who said this will have zero effect on Apple's bottom line, but I'd also say it's caused at least one long time Apple fan and lifetime iPhone user[me] to scratch my head and wonder just what the gently caress those assholes are doing up there in Cupertino.

I am not being dramatic or cliche when I say Steve would not have allowed this to happen.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 25, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

benisntfunny posted:

Re-release iOS 8.0.0 as 8.0.2. Done.

There's probably not an upgrade script/rollback script/however they do it under the hood.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

decypher posted:

scratch my head and wonder just what the gently caress those assholes are doing up there in Cupertino.

I am not being dramatic or cliche when I say Steve would not have allowed this to happen.

cough cough MobileMe rollout cough cough stolen iPhone 4 prototypes cough cough

This changes nothing for me, I just want to see them fix it quickly.

blugu64 posted:

There's probably not an upgrade script/rollback script/however they do it under the hood.

We can of course speculate, but I'm sure they have some procedure in place. I just think it needs to work faster.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So as someone who has trouble sliding a 4s in and out of the front pocket, and usually shoves it in the back pocket and sits on it on the train, am i just going to destroy an iphone6 if i get one?? do i have to buy some loser case to protect it? i wanted to try shoving a 6 in my pocket in the apple store but was worried it would look like i was stealing it or something since they had like cops all over covering the massive line outside.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is this situation worse or better than iPhone 4 antennas?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fleshweasel posted:

It seems better, but only time will tell.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

It's easier for me to not sit in my phone than it was for me to claw-grip the phone to avoid shorting the antennas. I'd say better than the iPhone 4 but the media's going to play it for all the hits/views/clicks they can get.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

cough cough MobileMe rollout cough cough stolen iPhone 4 prototypes cough cough

This changes nothing for me, I just want to see them fix it quickly.
Never forget the iTunes update that wiped hard drives if there was a space in the name :911:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So as someone who has trouble sliding a 4s in and out of the front pocket, and usually shoves it in the back pocket and sits on it on the train, am i just going to destroy an iphone6 if i get one?? do i have to buy some loser case to protect it? i wanted to try shoving a 6 in my pocket in the apple store but was worried it would look like i was stealing it or something since they had like cops all over covering the massive line outside.
Yeah I imagine it'd be an issue unless your back pockets are loose and high enough to avoid pressure or something. Outside of some really hard cases I'm not sure they'd make a difference.

At least your phone isn't like this :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVCaPqrtUw

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

decypher posted:

This is uncharted and unprecedented territory when it comes to the history of iPhone software. It's a pretty monumental gently caress up, very uncharacteristic of Apple.

They've shipped past versions with bugs, of course, but nothing like this, ever. It's a pretty big deal, actually.

Oh well! I agree with the guy who said this will have zero effect on Apple's bottom line, but I'd also say it's caused at least one long time Apple fan and lifetime iPhone user[me] to scratch my head and wonder just what the gently caress those assholes are doing up there in Cupertino.

That was me. This affair raised my eyebrows but I can't take all the pearl clutching and stupid phone nationalism crap seriously.

My mom called me worried since she updated her phone last week when iOS 8 came out (the fact she called me should have answered her question) but on being told it wasn't a concern her response was essentially "well I'm sure they'll sort it out". I guarantee that is the response for most folks out there who don't participate in the perpetual outrage machine.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

perpetual outrage machine.

I'm not outraged and this only inconveniences me marginally, I'm just cringing at the crap that I'll have to read/see all over the news etc.

OMG STEBE WOULD NEVER OFF OF DON THIS

I just want to have fun with my new phone, and this is a stupid detour.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I mean this is a pretty big gently caress up guys. Someone should definitely be fired/held accountable and Apple should have never released this update. They also should have immediately pushed 8.0.2 or whatever to fix it.

I mean my grandpa OTA updates her 3G iPad at my moms house on wifi. If this happened to her she literally couldn't use the iPad 99% of the time since she doesn't have Internet at her house besides Verizon 3G.

Tim should send us all stickers or something to compensate us.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

I mean my grandpa OTA updates her 3G iPad at my moms house on wifi. If this happened to her she literally couldn't use the iPad 99% of the time since she doesn't have Internet at her house besides Verizon 3G.
The issue only affects the iPhone 6/6+ and only when updated OTA but sure, let's keep making up hypotheticals. That's extremely productive discussion.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The issue only affects the iPhone 6/6+ and only when updated OTA but sure, let's keep making up hypotheticals. That's extremely productive discussion.

Obama did Bendgahzi and Updategate

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Thanks Obama!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
They REALLY shouldn't have moved the guy responsible for streaming the keynote over to the iOS division.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

it's gonna be okay guys :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLb8rfrUKNA

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fair enough. It is still a major gently caress up.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

I just thought it was a one time thing after a friend sent me a link to one, but I am unable to view imgur albums via Safari on my iPhone 6.

Awful.app pulled the link up but Safari won't.

I did a few basic searches and nothing definitive is coming up.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
One of my friends has somehow managed to scratch the screen on his 6 after having it for less than a week. He's saying that he didn't have anything else in his pockets at all. He has applecare+ on it, so he should be able to pay the deductible and get a new one, but what are the chances of apple switching it out for him for free and telling him not to ask again?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

William Munny posted:

One of my friends has somehow managed to scratch the screen on his 6 after having it for less than a week. He's saying that he didn't have anything else in his pockets at all. He has applecare+ on it, so he should be able to pay the deductible and get a new one, but what are the chances of apple switching it out for him for free and telling him not to ask again?

Low.

Low enough to not even ponder.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Guys my 8am day one iPhone 6 hasn't bent and is on 8.0.

I really like my phone guys. It feels nice.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Feenix posted:

Low.

Low enough to not even ponder.

Hahaha, yeah, that's what I thought.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

What size are your jeans - what's your build like?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

William Munny posted:

Wait till he blows his AppleCare on minor scratches then actually breaks it.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 25, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Same.

:hfive:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

Same here, except mine's from 9AM :hfive:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Same here, except mine's from 9AM :hfive:

8:30AM here, no bending, no loving up. :hfive:

I wear "slim" cut jeans that are actually more skinny/tight fitting in the thighs. So that argument is pretty much squashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Still no loving 6Plus phones in Australia, this sucks :(