Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Democracy Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tbp posted:

Democracy Now
I like these subtle trolls best, but I'm afraid it isn't getting traction here. Sadly, regionalism mixed with xenophobia and racism just isn't enough these days to catch peoples eye.

Got this off one of those conspiracy facebook like sites just now:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Miltank posted:

Im assuming that those who think redneck, white trash ect aren't slurs and don't carry social weight probably aren't coming from a rural community. Its not the same, (read: as bad) as friend of the family, but they are just another way to communicate and solidify antagonism based on class and cultural identity.

Well they are slurs, just not about race. You can't be racist against whites, just as you can't be classist against the rich. 'Cracker' isn't a slur racist because there isn't the same loaded implications that exist with 'friend of the family'. (Might come from a classist thing? I didn't follow all of the etymology chat) But certainly someone who is white can be discriminated against, it just won't be on the basis of skin colour.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Miltank posted:

Im assuming that those who think redneck, white trash ect aren't slurs and don't carry social weight probably aren't coming from a rural community. Its not the same, (read: as bad) as friend of the family, but they are just another way to communicate and solidify antagonism based on class and cultural identity.

Could someone with photoshop skills take this and change the slogan to NEOLIBERAL and the upside elephant to the Conservative and Unionist Party symbol? Would be awesome, cheers.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Samurai Quack posted:

Well they are slurs, just not about race. You can't be racist against whites, just as you can't be classist against the rich. 'Cracker' isn't a slur racist because there isn't the same loaded implications that exist with 'friend of the family'. (Might come from a classist thing? I didn't follow all of the etymology chat) But certainly someone who is white can be discriminated against, it just won't be on the basis of skin colour.

Could someone explain why this definition of racism has caught on so much? Because it looks like that's macro theory on the development of societal level racist ideology and structures and a quick glance over it makes it look prima facie dumb as balls so I must be missing something?

A grave marker in English. Of all the gently caress Yous to a people man, South Africans are dicks.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Billionaire scion Jamie Johnson, of the Johnson & Johnson fortune, made a couple documentaries about inequality and they own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmlX3fLQrEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unZmiEsgzno

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Coohoolin posted:

Could someone with photoshop skills take this and change the slogan to NEOLIBERAL and the upside elephant to the Conservative and Unionist Party symbol? Would be awesome, cheers.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Samurai Quack posted:

You can't be racist against whites, just as you can't be classist against the rich.

Of course you can be. I'm curious where this whole "racism, classism, whatever-ism is different than prejudice" came from. If you are prejudiced against someone based on their race, you are racist. If you are prejudiced against someone based on class you are classist. Racism against whites and classism against the wealthy don't carry the same societal impact as against racial minorities or poor people, but that's still what it is. Re-defining the word(s) so that it isn't is self-deception and trying to convince yourself you aren't something that you hate.

Samurai Quack posted:

But certainly someone who is white can be discriminated against, it just won't be on the basis of skin colour.

So this guy advocating for the murder of people (including babies) who likely have done nothing to him isn't doing it on the basis of skin color? Because he says exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3Cd9gnvlw

EDIT:
A fantastic idea:

Gio posted:

i have a radical suggestion: even if cracker or redneck don't have the same potency as other slurs, some are offended by them and be decent and not say them out of human decency instead of being a dick about it. :)

Not being a dick to others feels great and isn't really as hard as it sounds.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 24, 2014

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i have a radical suggestion: even if cracker or redneck don't have the same potency as other slurs, some are offended by them and be decent and not say them out of human decency instead of being a dick about it. :)

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

this is just dumb meaningless semantics

Gio fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
good job, nyt.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i see you looking at this forum gulc law student type whatup :cool:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

So many "races" to choose from, I hope someone will tell me where I fit.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I live in the country and most of the "rednecks" I know are rich assholes who moved to the country(but in little gated communities away from the people who have been here a long time) because they want to be "rednecks" and "country" and everyone else hates them, including the poorer members of the community and the farmers. I'm in the rural north though, maybe it's different in the south/Appalachia/etc.

FreeAJStaff ad taken out in NY for the upcoming UN meeting:

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I live in the country and most of the "rednecks" I know are rich assholes who moved to the country(but in little gated communities away from the people who have been here a long time) because they want to be "rednecks" and "country" and everyone else hates them, including the poorer members of the community and the farmers. I'm in the rural north though, maybe it's different in the south/Appalachia/etc.

Depending on the specific area, but nah that poo poo's all over the south as well. Lotsa halfbacks buying mountain homes or places on the water for boating.

Probably been posted, but thank goodness the San Diego Unified School District has an MRAP. Those little bastards are always planting IEDs everywhere to get out of school.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Loving all the goons who think "redneck" is offensive because it might have been over a hundred years ago.

It's just a way rural people (usually from the south) refer to themselves and its not any way comparable to a slur.

Though I'm glad such enlightened folk are ready to defend against any perceived insult on my people's behalf :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT-jmVswbw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bro Dad posted:

Loving all the goons who think "redneck" is offensive because it might have been over a hundred years ago.

It's just a way rural people (usually from the south) refer to themselves and its not any way comparable to a slur.

Though I'm glad such enlightened folk are ready to defend against any perceived insult on my people's behalf :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT-jmVswbw

Yes, the properly insulting term you want is "hick"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Woah Woah that is our word :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKf08vWTkKA

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Nah it's

As in, the goddamn ignorant motherfuckers I am forced to spend my life around because being a raging alcoholic through my 20's destroyed any chance of ever leaving this shithole of a town, complete with them voting for dumbfuck ideologies which continue to destroy my chances of having a living wage or healthcare. You haven't lived until you've heard a shithead co-worker tell you why the minimum wage shouldn't be raised while you and him are working for barely a dollar an hour above the current one, or have somebody blame Obama for their short work hours because their company cut them instead of paying for health coverage. I have heard both in the last month.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
solidarity, woo

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Don't be dicks, persecuted groups! Surely there is someone out there who irrationally hates the dominant majority, therefore the violence you suffer and the fear you feel daily really is equivalent.

I'm just waiting for someone to explain why I shouldn't tell a Christian to gently caress off and die the next time they tell me I'm going to hell for being a human being. After all, you catch more flies with honey than with vine:fuckoff:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A bunch of propaganda posters

"Clear away the ruins. Rebuild Budapest"

"Breed rabbits" :smugrabbit:

"Our women - our pride!" - that's Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space, looking almost as smug as that rabbit

"light - your death"

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

Nah it's

As in, the goddamn ignorant motherfuckers I am forced to spend my life around because being a raging alcoholic through my 20's destroyed any chance of ever leaving this shithole of a town, complete with them voting for dumbfuck ideologies which continue to destroy my chances of having a living wage or healthcare. You haven't lived until you've heard a shithead co-worker tell you why the minimum wage shouldn't be raised while you and him are working for barely a dollar an hour above the current one, or have somebody blame Obama for their short work hours because their company cut them instead of paying for health coverage. I have heard both in the last month.

You can just call them trash; the qualifier makes it unnecessarily racist. Unless you're not white, then go nuts because you can probably pull some slurs outta them.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

They were all so excited at first.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
The "you can't be racist against white people" construction is a convenient fiction that is essentially true since, while a white person can certainly experience prejudice on an individual, personal level, the degree to which they might hypothetically experience it, the circumstances under which it occurs and the amount of societal power possessed by those who might execute said prejudice are orders of magnitude from the "actual" racism experienced by marginalized minorities so as to effectively be non-existent. For all intents and purposes, white people don't experience "Racism" by any useful definition of the term.

That is, of course, entirely separate from the issue of using racial slurs. The amount of weight the slur would carry relative to other groups is immaterial and I don't really understand why people keep bringing that up. I don't understand how someone not calling people "cracker" on the internet harms in any way social progress or the empowerment of disenfranchised minorities. It's an a priori argument that "hey, maybe using a term for a group of people based on their race/gender/class identity purely because I don't like them isn't super cool".

Political Whores posted:

Don't be dicks, persecuted groups! Surely there is someone out there who irrationally hates the dominant majority, therefore the violence you suffer and the fear you feel daily really is equivalent.

-- Said no one, ever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They missed the chance to do something creative with the crescent moon on SC's flag, instead of defacing the palmetto.

Also some might be better with the hoe and AK than the hammer and sickle.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Who would've guessed that Bejaman "the Human Iceberg" Harrison could be badass?

quote:

The President has proved [his physical strength] on one occasion, at least, within a year, when his strong arm and cool head served so well their purpose as to be a revelation to everybody cognizant of the circumstances. The occasion referred to was one evening when a young man crazed with drink broke into the private part of the White House and threatened the life of the President. On account of the family of the young fellow, but especially because personal appeal of the distressed mother, little was said about it, and the affair was passed over as of no serious moment. But the facts proved that it was no light disturbance breaking the usual evening peace of the White House that night. The doorkeepers on duty in front were taken unawares by the attack from the South Portico. Their first warning was the crashing in of the Red Room windows, and the wild ravings of the young madman, shrieking with oaths his determination to kill the President. In the darkness it was not possible to know if the attack proceeded from one person or several. The excitement over the New Orleans troubles [of October, 1890, the Italian mafia allegedly killed an Irish police chief, which prompted citizens to lynch 11 suspects in March, 1891] was then high, and as the startled doorkeepers said: ‘We naturally thought of the Italian Mafia at once.’ Two doorkeepers grappled with the young man, but large, strong men as they are, were hardly a match for the superhuman strength of the crazed and foaming would-be-assassin, who, at the outset of the desperate struggle, succeeded in inflicting a painful and stunning blow on the head of one of his captors. In the next moment, the President, who had heard the crashing glass, came down stairs quietly with his cane in his hand, and with one bound passed through the window and stood over the struggling, raving young fellow, holding his arms down as firmly as if they had been fastened by a vice.

It was all like a sudden flash of light on the darkness around them. Not a word was spoken until the President, as quiet and cool as if he had just shaken hands with a visitor, turned and said: ‘Have you any more of them here?’ The men did not know. They had their hands too full with one to look for any more. When the President had made his search alone, into the dark corners of the portico, and had assured himself that there were no concealed accomplices to follow up the attack, he said in the same cool, quiet way:

'And now, what else can I do for you?'

'If you can cut that window-cord, Mr. President, I think it will do to tie him,' was the reply.

The President cut the cord, and bending over his young assailant, with a few passes had him securely tied, hand and foot. Then he went upstairs to assure his frightened family that nothing serious had occurred. The man whose face had suffered in the encounter, afterward said:

'The President was the coolest, quietest man I ever saw, and plucky, too. The thing was so sudden, and in the darkness nobody could tell how many there might be skulking in those corners. But he never thought of his own danger at all. He'd be a match for more than one, though, for his strength is something astonishing, and his is as quick as lightning. When it was all over, he looked after my broken head, and you ought to have seen him then — just as kind and tender as if I'd been his own son. He wasn't so cool then, when he was thinking of me. He was as warm and sympathetic as any man could be. Mrs. Harrison came down and fixed up the bruises herself — and they were both distressed and anxious to relieve the pain. It's the President's quiet way, without any words, that a fellow can't forget. When a man is brave, and tender, too, there isn't much more to be said. But I can tell you, since that night I would like to follow such a leader. I'd do anything in the world for the President. Every man of us in the White House feels the same way. We know him, and he's a brave, big-hearted man, tender as a child. All the stuff about his reserve and coldness is just his quiet way on the outside.'

Speaking of which I really need to resume my posts on Presidential grave sites.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nckdictator posted:

Speaking of which I really need to resume my posts on Presidential grave sites.

Please do.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hubis posted:

The "you can't be racist against white people" construction is a convenient fiction that is essentially true since, while a white person can certainly experience prejudice on an individual, personal level, the degree to which they might hypothetically experience it, the circumstances under which it occurs and the amount of societal power possessed by those who might execute said prejudice are orders of magnitude from the "actual" racism experienced by marginalized minorities so as to effectively be non-existent. For all intents and purposes, white people don't experience "Racism" by any useful definition of the term.

That is, of course, entirely separate from the issue of using racial slurs. The amount of weight the slur would carry relative to other groups is immaterial and I don't really understand why people keep bringing that up. I don't understand how someone not calling people "cracker" on the internet harms in any way social progress or the empowerment of disenfranchised minorities. It's an a priori argument that "hey, maybe using a term for a group of people based on their race/gender/class identity purely because I don't like them isn't super cool".

-- Said no one, ever

"Redneck" is still leveled specifically against rural, poor, uneducated whites, very often by richer, more educated, urban whites who consider themselves liberal and tolerant but still want someone they can safely hate. I didn't see it as a slur once either, but one of the biggest things to change my mind is how when it's challenged the whole racist excuse bingo card comes up, including "they use it too" and "I don't mean all of them, just the bad ones." It's not as high up as "gypsy" in Europe in terms of hateful terms used with genuine venom specifically by people who consider themselves active opponents of bigotry and intolerance, but at the same time it's the only slur I've seen self-described liberal/leftist types not only happily use about people more disadvantaged than themselves, but complain doesn't hurt the targeted group enough when you say it.

It's too bad: as you say there's a genuine difference between societal discrimination and individual bigotry, but no one ever brings it up except as a leadin for "and that's why my hating these dirty subhumans as a category is the right thing to do!"

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

lmao what a bad card they used

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

That 70s Shirt posted:

Of course you can be. I'm curious where this whole "racism, classism, whatever-ism is different than prejudice" came from. If you are prejudiced against someone based on their race, you are racist. If you are prejudiced against someone based on class you are classist. Racism against whites and classism against the wealthy don't carry the same societal impact as against racial minorities or poor people, but that's still what it is. Re-defining the word(s) so that it isn't is self-deception and trying to convince yourself you aren't something that you hate.

This whole "racism, classism, whatever-ism is different than prejudice" comes from non-white people who experience and thus define racism not with a dictionary, but as a social phenomenon and incredibly demeaning, derogatory lifelong struggle - individually and collectively - that is systemic, endemic, pervasive, invidious and incredibly deeply rooted in both history and social construct (in particular media).

I don't know if you're white but your pedantic and totally thoughtless rebuttal is rather stereotypical white hair splitting, which is better termed "whitewashing" and is as insidious as outre racism, because it takes actual racism and tries to simplify, broaden and otherwise neutralize what is a gargantuan problem in modern American society, and white people just bend over backwards to find new ways to sweep it under the Persian rug of privilege and "diversity" (the word they pasted over "whites only" and pretended that changed everything). I just today had to deal with another pasty white nerd at work who insisted that blackface is "political incorrectness, not racism"...because he decided that because black people can do it in reverse (a la the Wayans brothers or Dave Chappelle) and say it isn't racist...so it must not be racist when white people do it. But he is the sort of person who does "research" by heading over to Reddit and seeking out confirmation bias, as opposed to say, a taking seminar on racial and ethnic theory and racial divisions in the post-colonial West.

edit: in my experience the term institutional racism muddies the waters. Most white people think it means apartheid or segregation, not the American justice system or mortgage and lending practices or poverty...I believe racism in of itself is practically speaking a non-white concept.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2014

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
When you find yourself arguing the finer points of why it's OK for you to be unpleasant to other human beings in your preferred manner, maybe just reconsider. On some level, the much-maligned idea of political correctness is simply an attempt at a kind of generalized good manners. People who are seriously arguing that manners should only work one way are undermining the whole enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNyN8qNvgc

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

When you find yourself arguing the finer points of why it's OK for you to be unpleasant to other human beings in your preferred manner, maybe just reconsider. On some level, the much-maligned idea of political correctness is simply an attempt at a kind of generalized good manners. People who are seriously arguing that manners should only work one way are undermining the whole enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNyN8qNvgc

It's not that manners should only work one way, it's that anybody who would decide that racial discrimination isn't a problem because someone called them a cracker is someone who really should just gently caress off and die. Did you not see that part where this whole conversation started with someone saying "oh man, you shouldn't say cracker, that sort of divisive language will drive off people who might be convinced otherwise", and promptly posted a picture of MLK as justification? I don't believe that calling white people cracker or saying kill whitey is at all important to social justice, but that's just because it's so inconsequential. It's like the argument that happen everywhere on SA about how Tumblr activists just take things too far and are as bad as the other side/ make people doubt that LGBT rights are a good thing. Who the gently caress cares if someone said cracker, it literally has no consequence, and to focus on it as some sort of justification for changing your opinion on racial discrimination proves just how much you value the hurt feelings of white people over the violence committed against black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Huggybear posted:

This whole "racism, classism, whatever-ism is different than prejudice" comes from non-white people who experience and thus define racism not with a dictionary, but as a social phenomenon and incredibly demeaning, derogatory lifelong struggle - individually and collectively - that is systemic, endemic, pervasive, invidious and incredibly deeply rooted in both history and social construct (in particular media).

You mean like institutional racism? It seems unnecessary to redefine "racism" and it significantly muddies the waters of discussion on the topic, especially when there's already a phrase for it that's been around for loving ever that more clearly describes the idea.

• Locked thread