Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's insanely hosed up, freak futanari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I know, so instead I think I'll have to try to import some fanmade Homestuck MMD models into ComiPo, so that I can finally make the funny comics that Paradox Space cannot.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Every Paradox Space arc is either the best one that validates the comic's existence or the worst one that makes the whole comic irredeemable trash.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Plom Bar posted:

Every Paradox Space arc is either the best one that validates the comic's existence or the worst one that makes the whole comic irredeemable trash.

You might even call them paradoxes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plom Bar posted:

Every Paradox Space arc is the best one and still makes the whole comic irredeemable trash.

:agreed:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
haha

hahaha

hahahahaha
ha
hH

hahahhah
haah
HA
HAHAHHA
AHHAHAH
AHA
HA
AHHA

HAAHHAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/514910959060910080

HAAHAH
AH
AH
AH
HA
AHAH
HA
H

HA
HA
HA
AH
AHAH

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

sweet rip and hella dead

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yknow if he kept them as scans of rough pen sketchs they wouldn't be so bad. All the energy is lost when he takes those and adds clean line art and flat shaded colors.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
gently caress you KC Green. I hate you.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I agree with Hussie and have never understood where all these complaints are coming from.

Especially KC's stuff in the SBAHJ book - it's great.

Baron La Croix fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 25, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Baron La Croix posted:

I agree with Hussie and have never understood where all these complaints are coming from.

The main thrust of the arguement is that SBaHJ was concieved as a parody of all the extremely low-effort and lovely "Two gamers and a couch" style webcomic plague that sprang up around Penny Arcade's success. The humor comes from precisely how lovely and how low-effort SBaHJ is, making extensive use of copy/paste, flipping characters, fill-tool errors, and "ironic" use of comic sans. While KC Green's scripts are decent, the fact he puts genuine effort into the art undermines the "joke" a bit, giving an effect closer to Ren and Stimpy than Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Triskelli posted:

The main thrust of the arguement is that SBaHJ was concieved as a parody of all the extremely low-effort and lovely "Two gamers and a couch" style webcomic plague that sprang up around Penny Arcade's success. The humor comes from precisely how lovely and how low-effort SBaHJ is, making extensive use of copy/paste, flipping characters, fill-tool errors, and "ironic" use of comic sans. While KC Green's scripts are decent, the fact he puts genuine effort into the art undermines the "joke" a bit, giving an effect closer to Ren and Stimpy than Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

you forgot the irony in how much effort it took to make something that looked so low-effort

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Triskelli posted:

Actually, genuine SBaHJ is extremely high effort. It doesn't look that way, but you have to put in a ton of work to make something look that lovely.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
He arts bad and jokes bad. KC used to be cool back when he made Horribleville and for the first while of Gunshow was good too but now he's not very funny. This carries over into Sweet Brother And Jeff Comics, which also become not funny, when KC Green, the comic maker, involves himself. This is my opinion, thank you for reading it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have never given a poo poo about Sweet Bob and Hella Jeff so this debate has literally no impact on my life but I do love the burn Hussie gave KC by implying he's good enough to be in charge of the shittest comic ever

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

AriadneThread posted:

you forgot the irony in how much effort it took to make something that looked so low-effort

King of Solomon posted:

Actually, genuine SBaHJ is extremely high effort. It doesn't look that way, but you have to put in a ton of work to make something look that lovely.

Well yeah, that too. Multiple levels of irony and all that. Still, we're starting with a base of minimum effort and incompetence.

If I could be given a wish of how the PS SBaHJs were made, I'd have Hussie writing the script as vaguely as possible, Yaakov Kirschen doing the blocking and lineart, Ross Grosse or Joe Liccar doing the coloring and inking, then send it back to Hussie to use whatever arcane voodoo he do to turn it from genuinely poo poo to ironically poo poo.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

He arts bad and jokes bad. KC used to be cool back when he made Horribleville and for the first while of Gunshow was good too but now he's not very funny. This carries over into Sweet Brother And Jeff Comics, which also become not funny, when KC Green, the comic maker, involves himself. This is my opinion, thank you for reading it.

Not only did I read it, I agree with it and share that opinion. The art is bad without being "funny bad" like the real SBAHJS (which also have real effort behind their shittiness) and to make it worse, they aren't funny. He doesn't even get the tone right.

Now the sbahj book cover was very funny indeed.

I'm sorry KC green I'm making the effort to like you again but YUO MAEK IT SOHARD

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is funny because it is drawn in-universe by Dave. Seeing it outside the realm of the actual comic kinda breaks the illusion a bit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It might just be another instance of a problem affecting Homestuck as a whole, which is when a joke becomes a horse that gets the living poo poo kicked out of it. Much like Monty Python or Douglas Adams, humor that started off fresh, absurd and irreverent becomes fossilized. Referencing the funny thing takes the place of actual humor. There's a cargo cult aspect to it, new ones aren't clicking and we're all working up theories as to what's missing.

Paradox Space is an especially bad case, since people writing for it can't stray too far from the familiar otherwise it's not Homestuck anymore. Stories have to play off the most cliched, two-dimensional, caricaturized versions of the characters.

Homestuck has a shelf life and the longer the gigapause drags on the more stale it feels. Even characters in the comic started noticing it, like John realizing Con Air is garbage and Dave complaining about being stuck with 2009 pop culture.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 25, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is funny because it is drawn in-universe by Dave. Seeing it outside the realm of the actual comic kinda breaks the illusion a bit.

I first saw them outside the realm of the actual comic and they were hilarious, this is wrong.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh that's why this comic sucks. its not derivative of the dnd paradox space, its yet another 'bec does a kooky thing cause he's a dog' comic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

oh that's why this comic sucks. its not derivative of the dnd paradox space, its yet another 'bec does a kooky thing cause he's a dog' comic.

Truly, we live in the worst of all possible worlds.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

CJacobs posted:

Pretty sure it existed before Homestuck. It was first created as a parody of an absolute poo poo gaming comic on I think the PA forums.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did not know that, if it's true. I'm glad Homestuck is the only place I know it from, then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes, the first 3-4 comics were made a month before Homestuck started, mocking a guy trying some terrible "gaming dude" on the PA forums.

Here is the original thread for your entertainment and edification: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/vanilla/discussion/85435

Sadly the bad artist's images have been lost to the march of time actually that guy apparently went back years later and deleted them :lol:

E: Aww, reading through, Andrew's links are dead too.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 25, 2014

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, i tried to go back and re-experience wizardology a while ago and it seems to be wiped out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Yeah, i tried to go back and re-experience wizardology a while ago and it seems to be wiped out.

If there's a tragic loss there's this. I'd trade all of Paradox Space (even the good ones) vanishing to see those again.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Today's your lucky day! Infamous tumblr user Bladekindeyewear created a dropbox archive version (with newer, spoilery avatars obfuscated) for HS livebloggers to read.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4559980/sbahjarchive/originthreadp1.html

E: the sbahj thread, not wizardology.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 25, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is giving me very conflicted feelings.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Are those "-ology" books a series or something? I think I saw one about dragons instead of wizards some time ago, translated to spanish.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Blackheart posted:

Are those "-ology" books a series or something? I think I saw one about dragons instead of wizards some time ago, translated to spanish.

Yeah, there's a bunch. I have one on Egyptology.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This feels like a set-up scene, like we're going to see the kids roleplaying for several comics.
I am interested.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

This feels like a set-up scene, like we're going to see the kids roleplaying for several comics.
I am interested.

Lol if you genuinely believe that there is going to be any sort of overarching coherency to the Boredox Space comics.

(Also we've already had like two or three comics about Homestuck characters roleplaying and that horse is starting to look pretty loving dead to me.)

Point is that this comic loving sucked balls and so will most of the other ones in the future, just like most of the past ones. It sounds harsh but it's true, because most of these things are just so loving bad that i honestly have trouble convincing myself that they're anything else than cries for help from a legion of terrible webcomic authors who woke up one day and realized that they're not funny. And gently caress this one in particular for being so mindbendingly unfunny that it actually made me angry about Homestuck. (Angrier than normal i mean)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not everything tries, or wants, to be funny.

Hell not even Homestuck.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Freak Futanari posted:

Lol if you genuinely believe that there is going to be any sort of overarching coherency to the Boredox Space comics.

(Also we've already had like two or three comics about Homestuck characters roleplaying and that horse is starting to look pretty loving dead to me.)

Point is that this comic loving sucked balls and so will most of the other ones in the future, just like most of the past ones. It sounds harsh but it's true, because most of these things are just so loving bad that i honestly have trouble convincing myself that they're anything else than cries for help from a legion of terrible webcomic authors who woke up one day and realized that they're not funny. And gently caress this one in particular for being so mindbendingly unfunny that it actually made me angry about Homestuck. (Angrier than normal i mean)

Please seek help.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Sorry y'all I just had to get that off my chest. I feel strongly about webcomics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Most of the Paradox Space comics have been okay to good, with the notable exception of the terrible KC Green comics, and the overwhelming negative reaction of this thread is weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Not everything tries, or wants, to be funny.

Hell not even Homestuck.

They could at least try to be good. This last story has just been completely bland. "What if we just did a comic of a pesterlog in which they just sort of talked about nothing, not even made a funny," is boring idea.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They could at least try to be good. This last story has just been completely bland. "What if we just did a comic of a pesterlog in which they just sort of talked about nothing, not even made a funny," is boring idea.

On the other hand that's about 40% of homestuck right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No, I agree with that-just that the idea that EVERY ONE of these has to be super funny all the time is annoying. The first one wasn't all that funny and it was great-so was Dadly Depot, I thought.