Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Loved the premiere, really looking forward to this season! Things are really drat dark, but I think one of the most :stare:-worthy scenes was when Ward was describing all of his attempted suicides, and then it cuts to Coulson calmly saying "Well, he hasn't lied so far." That was really chilling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Those early episodes are extremely important which is why I'm still pissed that the pacing was absolute poo poo. They were stuck stuck in a holding pattern for Cap2. Why didn't they hold back the Premier then? Ten episodes of tracking Garrett would have been fantastic if they could have pushed it later into May-June.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

A few more subtleties I noticed in the first Fitz"Simmons" scene was when May shows up. He gets stuck trying to find the word 'material', and he pauses it on it like the other words he got stuck on. He finally says it, but no one else is in frame when he does. It's just a close up on him, with a pause before it like she'd said it and he repeated it. This is reinforced later in the scene when the chunk turns to flesh. May doesn't react to Simmons saying it looks like flesh, and doesn't ask her to look at it, even though biology is what she does. May then asks "Can you figure out whose blood?" and Simmons says "That shouldn't be too hard" immediately echoed by Fitz. May never once looks at Simmons. When she says she'll stay and help, the next shot is just of Fitz.

Dammit this show is way better than it started out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dammit, I just know that over the next few episodes I'll be paranoid about that and try to keep an eye on which characters do or don't get acknowledged by everyone else in each scene.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Lucy lawless character really is dead and doesn't come back. Death is already a revolving door in MCU if you're a named good guy. The show is more interesting if there are life and death stakes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The actor playing Fitz really sold the hell out of the brain damaged and frustrated angle so well. Give him some makeup and scars and I could see him playing The Joker.

That is something AoS does do consistently well - when a character goes batshit insane, it's when the show absolutly works the best. Batshit insane Ward is by far the best Ward.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dammit, I just know that over the next few episodes I'll be paranoid about that and try to keep an eye on which characters do or don't get acknowledged by everyone else in each scene.

I'm waiting for Fitz to build his own Simmons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Soylentbits posted:

I don't think that'd end up very PG-13.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Soylentbits posted:

SIMmons?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soylentbits posted:

So Fitz becomes a Neo Hank Pym I'm down.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

greatn posted:

I hope Lucy lawless character really is dead and doesn't come back. Death is already a revolving door in MCU if you're a named good guy. The show is more interesting if there are life and death stakes.

Victoria Hand is upset by this post

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

Victoria Hand is upset by this post

She antagonized the group enough that she doesn't count.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

Maybe this is where Ultron comes from.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was really surprised that this actually was really good. Although I'm disappointed that we got Taggert instead of Thunderbolt Ross.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I accidentally bailed on this show about three episodes in. Just sort of forgot it was on for a few weeks and didn't feel like catching up when I remembered. I'm chuffed the show's good now, but I still don't exactly feel like playing catch-up, so what would you all say is the bare minimum in terms of episodes I need to watch to get current?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I was really surprised that this actually was really good. Although I'm disappointed that we got Taggert instead of Thunderbolt Ross.

Marvel wants to forget that The Incredible Hulk ever existed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Spergatory posted:

So I accidentally bailed on this show about three episodes in. Just sort of forgot it was on for a few weeks and didn't feel like catching up when I remembered. I'm chuffed the show's good now, but I still don't exactly feel like playing catch-up, so what would you all say is the bare minimum in terms of episodes I need to watch to get current?

17 to 22.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Marvel wants to forget that The Incredible Hulk ever existed.

If that's the case, why did we get the explicit Blonsky mention later last season?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BreakAtmo posted:

If that's the case, why did we get the explicit Blonsky mention later last season?

Throwin' the Tim Roth fans a bone? Cute little name drops are probably as far as it'll ever go.

EDIT: Tell you what, I could get behind Ross if they bring back Sam Elliott to play him.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Silly question: The self-sealing hot weld the Howling Commandos used on the 084 box in the opener. Is that an actual real-life thing? If so, what's it called?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fitz will continue to feel marginalized, will go to Ward to yell at/blame him. Ward will be all "fitz old bean, we want the same thing! You want the machine they used to fix coulson's dead as hell brain, I want to scrub my memories and become taskmaster! Let's be pals again, and go on a great adventure!"

And fitz will be all 'I always believed in you, Ward me bloke" and then there will be security footage showing them holding hands as they board the bus and fly away.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

gannyGrabber posted:

Fitz will continue to feel marginalized, will go to Ward to yell at/blame him. Ward will be all "fitz old bean, we want the same thing! You want the machine they used to fix coulson's dead as hell brain, I want to scrub my memories and become taskmaster! Let's be pals again, and go on a great adventure!"

And fitz will be all 'I always believed in you, Ward me bloke" and then there will be security footage showing them holding hands as they board the bus and fly away.

This except Fitz tries to kill Ward and inadvertently lets him escape, instead.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

I will say all the lame episode of the week stuff pretty much all comes back, and the show was pretty clever about retroactively making some of the throw away episodes a lot more interesting when the context changes. Also seeing Skye in season 2 so far makes her season 1 self far more bearable, since it's clear they're going to evolve the character a lot.

But yeah, otherwise, just catch the last arc and get in on this. I almost gave up on the show too and mostly watched it out of "something to do" until that arc but now I'm definitely on board.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Those early episodes are extremely important which is why I'm still pissed that the pacing was absolute poo poo. They were stuck stuck in a holding pattern for Cap2. Why didn't they hold back the Premier then? Ten episodes of tracking Garrett would have been fantastic if they could have pushed it later into May-June.

I'm just glad they got saved by Disney's smart marketing wing, which is trying to keep their brands getting as much time on TV as possible to keep buzz up during lulls in movie cycles and the like. Marvel's not the only IP they've begun doing this with.

Fortunately, the show has gotten good now and I'm sure hoping that word of mouth starts getting it a nice boost, in particular with the MCU being so successful.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 25, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Phylodox posted:

This except Fitz tries to kill Ward and inadvertently lets him escape, instead.

Or the episode shows both happening and the consequences, but we find out at the end that one was a hallucination and the other actually happened.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think we'll see SIMmons' encouragement slowly shift to goading Fitz into violent or villainous acts as he degenerates into full-blown psychopathy. Just a wild shot in the dark.

Irn-Bru
May 24, 2001

Orange. Carbonated. Ambrosia.

Error 404 posted:

Or the episode shows both happening and the consequences, but we find out at the end that one was a hallucination and the other actually happened.

This would be fantastic if in reality it was the release and team up version but Fitz hallucinates that he tries to brutally murder Ward, or it least beating him up a bit first.

Kinda like Arnie on the test drive with Bill Paxton in True Lies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

I have to say I really like how they handled Fitz's story this episode. The writers did a great job manipulating emotions of the audience.

First, we have the comedic fakeout. We think he's comatose, but no he's just concentrating. Audience is relieved immediately though we see he's quite a bit more irritable than normal. Ok, we knew there would be some fallout, he's just hardened a bit. Oh crap, he's blanking on words and is having trouble doing his work. There really is some lasting damage here. However, Simmons says he's been improving and she's helping him along. There's hope he'll be alright in the end. Then there's the whammy at the end that Simmons was just in his head and Coulson feels he's slipping away and the audience is crushed.

Then you step back for a moment and think about it. Simmons may have been in his head, but she was completing his sentences and filling in his blanks. His intelligence is still in there, fighting to get out. So, some hope is restored that he may be restored to his former intelligence level but it's tempered by the fact that he's clearly losing grip on reality and becoming more isolated.

I think they're setting Fitz up to go down the path of an antagonist to the team. I don't think he'll flip to Hydra or anything like that but rather be sort of a chaotic mad scientist element wildcard later. He'll likely be desperate to prove himself that he's still useful to the team and overreach into a morally grey area that Coulson isn't willing to walk anymore after what happened with Hydra infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D.

I hate to bring up Dollhouse, but really, one of the best character arcs in that show when it finally went into gear was Topher, who ended up in a similar way for different reasons.

Hell, the more I think back on that show the more I realize how much it really was screwed primarily by an awful lead actress and most episodes focusing on her. I really do remember the supporting cast pretty well.

Solaris Knight posted:

Is it me or is the budget massively upsided this year? Season 1 wouldn't have had all these rad forms for Creel.

Why I'm glad he continued on and didn't end up a villain of the week one & done. He's got pretty awesome powers that he uses in neat ways.

My only nitpick was him not already having some kind of form up before the ball & chain scene. Though you could argue he wasn't planning on making a move just that second, I suppose.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 25, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Silly question: The self-sealing hot weld the Howling Commandos used on the 084 box in the opener. Is that an actual real-life thing? If so, what's it called?

I'm guessing it involves thermite.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Never did find out what German for "nuts" is.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently, "Eier". It's the only translation I could find in Google Translate that worked for "balls" and "nuts".
:goonsay:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

OB_Juan posted:

Apparently, "Eier". It's the only translation I could find in Google Translate that worked for "balls" and "nuts".

There's also "nüsse", apparently. :eng101:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

OB_Juan posted:

'Eier' actually means 'eggs' which is pretty funny.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Also, pro-tip: Painting a dudes arm bronze saves on the CGI budget, where-as having him fight as THE DIAMOND MAN would have cost mega dollars. In fact, the way they approached his CGI was really clever in it's execution - like when he was transparent in the box, it was a very subtle outline and not some wide shot of hit lunging at the guy. CREEL BABY.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I'm tipping some kind of thermite tape, which may or may not exist. Thermite's original use was for welding stuff, and there different types of thermite for different things. Never seen or heard of anyone actually using a tape based thermite, probably work of a self lighting magnesium ribbon.

I've never seen it or heard of it working in construction over 20 years

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Also, pro-tip: Painting a dudes arm bronze saves on the CGI budget, where-as having him fight as THE DIAMOND MAN would have cost mega dollars.

Dumbasses, why didn't they just cover him in diamo - oh right.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I hate to bring up Dollhouse, but really, one of the best character arcs in that show when it finally went into gear was Topher, who ended up in a similar way for different reasons.

Yeah, that was unexpectedly heartbreaking, when Topher went crazy (this was after creating the show's doomsday technology, for the curious.) "Why didn't I think of that? ....Did I think of that?"

In general, this show's better the darker it goes. I want broken Fitz, crazy Ward, all of it.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

BreakAtmo posted:

Dumbasses, why didn't they just cover him in diamo - oh right.

Unfortunately, another show beat them to it.

Never good to retread old ground.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I think we'll see SIMmons' encouragement slowly shift to goading Fitz into violent or villainous acts as he degenerates into full-blown psychopathy. Just a wild shot in the dark.

Simpsons Arrow did it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fitz is gonna start calling Ward "kid" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know what, I can totally see damaged Fitz deciding that Ward's resonsible for his problems, for nearly killing Simmons, and (once he realizes it) for Simmons having left and deciding to try and kill Ward which in turn busts Ward loose by mistake...

• Locked thread