Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Pocket Tactics is really talking up Galaxy Trucker:

Pocket Tactics posted:

“Hey, didn’t you just write about Galaxy Trucker last week?” Yep. I did. Here’s the deal: I am head over heels in friggin’ love with Galaxy Trucker. I never knew before that I wanted to be the captain of a galactic garbage scow cobbled together from random parts and race other junkers on freight-hauling runs, but I did.

Galaxy Trucker is the top-class board-game-to-digital adaptation we’ve been waiting all year for. It’s strategic and rewards planning without feeling heavy or inaccessible. It’s light-hearted and fun but in a clever, knowing way. The quality of the app takes a little while to truly appreciate because of the cartoony graphics, but it’s one of the best thought-out UIs I’ve seen in some time. It’s got more multiplayer options than an octopus brothel.

I'm not sure about that last sentence, but I'm glad this apparently turned out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

cbirdsong posted:

I'm not sure about that last sentence, but I'm glad this apparently turned out so well.

Sounds like a great band name

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two Talisman games? I have the prologue version and its OK, just wondering if it's worth getting the full version?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sleepstupid posted:

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two Talisman games? I have the prologue version and its OK, just wondering if it's worth getting the full version?

The full version is the full game, for better or worse. With multiple players and more cards and more boards with even more cards and more randomness.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is the Imperial iPad board game any good?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Galaxy of Trian, aka Carcassonne in space (with mining colonies, ship combat, and a lot more) reached it's final stretch goal on kick starter and will be getting an iPad app as well! It has some really cool improvements over Carc, like tile drafting, Multi-sided tiles, and a lot more. Early reviews are really promising, and a lot of players said it has completely replaced the former for them. Can't wait.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118278224/galaxy-of-trian

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

cbirdsong posted:

Will it be iPad only? Is there a release date and price yet?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

shaitan posted:

Will it be iPad only? Is there a release date and price yet?

Yes, Sept 29, and $5 for the first 2 weeks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Foehammer posted:

Man if the iPad 1 isn't supported I am going to flip.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Foehammer posted:

Booo. Looks like a pretty fun game but no iPad here. Oh well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's awesome news, and a great price. I thought it was months away.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Ropes4u posted:

Man if the iPad 1 isn't supported I am going to flip.

If a brand new app doesn't support a woefully underpowered, four and a half year old device that can't even run the current version of its operating system, you're going to "flip"? :raise: You'd probably better go ahead and pull on your flippin' pants then, my man.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's awesome news, and a great price. I thought it was months away.

It just passed Apple's review process this afternoon :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

If a brand new app doesn't support a woefully underpowered, four and a half year old device that can't even run the current version of its operating system, you're going to "flip"? :raise: You'd probably better go ahead and pull on your flippin' pants then, my man.

As an apple fan I am a bit miffed at how fast my glorious iPad one has become out dated. 😁

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

As an apple fan I am a bit miffed at how fast my glorious iPad one has become out dated. 😁

The iPad 1 is a particularly rough case, considering the iPad 2 will probably even be supported for iOS 9.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Ropes4u posted:

You think four years is fast for an electronic device to be outdated? Try six months to a year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LumberingTroll posted:

You think four years is fast for an electronic device to be outdated? Try six months to a year.

I believe he was being sarcastic, this being the only reason an Apple fan would have for protesting that his iShiny took four years to be obsoleted.

Fun fact: in development the iPhone was called the Apple Granny Smith and ran an operating system called GranOS. However, Apple had to restart the project when they discovered the device could only call the police.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Jedit posted:

I believe he was being sarcastic, this being the only reason an Apple fan would have for protesting that his iShiny took four years to be obsoleted.

Fun fact: in development the iPhone was called the Apple Granny Smith and ran an operating system called GranOS. However, Apple had to restart the project when they discovered the device could only call the police.

Yessssssssssssss. :golfclap:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

But I already can't have all my iOS boardgames downloaded at once! #firstworldproblems

Looks like next time I'll get the higher storage space one I guess.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Jedit posted:

Absolutely yes. Fantastic

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Galaxy Trucker is out now on the Canadian store at least. Downloading now.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's out in us too. this is h ard game!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ugh, the one day I forget to bring my iPad to work. I love Galaxy Trucker and have been looking forward to it on the iPad!

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Picked up Galaxy Trucker last night and I'm addicted. I've never played the tabletop version, but this seems to be great. Extremely enjoyable solo campaign.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just chiming in to say that Pass and Play is a really awesome adaptation and, in my older age, starting to think I really prefer it to the realtime version.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Does anyone have a chess app to recommend? I know how to play and everything, and general strategic principles, but I'm definitely not good. I'd like to learn more. I don't care about playing online, and will happily pay for it if there's something particularly good.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Agronox posted:

Does anyone have a chess app to recommend? I know how to play and everything, and general strategic principles, but I'm definitely not good. I'd like to learn more. I don't care about playing online, and will happily pay for it if there's something particularly good.

The chess.com one is good.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/chess-play-learn/id329218549?mt=8

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Shredder Chess or Chess Pro With Coach might be what you're looking for.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Seconding Shredder Chess.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Kekekela posted:

Seconding Shredder Chess.

Does it have a two-player mode? If it can become a portable chess board then that's perfect.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tardigrade posted:

Does it have a two-player mode? If it can become a portable chess board then that's perfect.

I have never used it for that but was thinking it did; however after trying to verify it appears that it does not unless I'm missing something (very possible). You could half-rear end it by playing a single player game with auto-rotate set to on, and backing out the computer moves but this would probably be more hassle than its worth.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Chess.com can use the analysis board for two players but it requires an active internet connection to get anywhere. That's kind of a bummer, sometimes the bros want to bang out a quick game at the park.

Everything else about the chess.com app owns, though. I paid for a platinum membership for a month and my game has upped big time with the help of the mentor and tactics series.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Stockfish is the Chess app I use. Free, challenging, themes, ai and 2 player mode, etc.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks guys. I looked at those three and went with Shredder. Quite liking it so far.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Looking for Galaxy Trucker opponents. PM me or post here. Up for real-time or async either one.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Is Galaxy Trucker worth getting for the singleplayer if I am antisocial and dont like other humans?

I definently feel like I got my moneys worth from Agricola, for instance, despite never doing multiplayer.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Beelzebozo posted:

Looking for Galaxy Trucker opponents. PM me or post here. Up for real-time or async either one.

You know I'm up for some asynch play.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TotallyGreen posted:

Is Galaxy Trucker worth getting for the singleplayer if I am antisocial and dont like other humans?

I definently feel like I got my moneys worth from Agricola, for instance, despite never doing multiplayer.

Absolutely. It has a giant single player campaign.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

TotallyGreen posted:

Yeah, the single player campaign is the best I've ever seen in this type of game. I'm the opposite of you in that I normally only play multiplayer games, and I finished the campaign and wished for more (although it's actually a good amount of content). I recommend a purchase.

porktree posted:

You know I'm up for some asynch play.

Cool. The multiplayer in this app unfortunately lacks invites and private matches. So I have to create a game and then have you sign in and take a seat in it before it fills up. PM me when you're ready to create it. From there it's normal async as you'd expect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Beelzebozo posted:

Cool. The multiplayer in this app unfortunately lacks invites and private matches. So I have to create a game and then have you sign in and take a seat in it before it fills up. PM me when you're ready to create it. From there it's normal async as you'd expect though.

They released a work-around for use until they get the patch with game invites: Name the game "## [player1username], [player2username], [player3username]" and only the intended players can see the game, and therefore join it. It's not perfect, but it at least allows you to create private games.

• Locked thread