Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

what

#gamergate was never about anything other than anti-feminism, dude.

Well, they tried to wrap it up with some poorly thought out arguments about the problems with fan press. I'll be the first person to complain about how broken that stuff is (I mean, one of the major sites has on its ad rate sheet the option to run an advertisement as a news story), but those guys both didn't know what they were talking about and were loving monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

theflyingorc posted:

edit: To go ahead and head off the dumb thing you're about to say, Zoey Quinn received no special treatment from any of the people she's alleged to have slept with. One of them mentioned her game in a single article before they had a relationship, there was literally nothing to GAMERGATE.
Actually to head it off even more you could just say that their top news reporter said a few weeks because this idiocy kicked off that gamers are rapists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one accused gamers of poo poo besides being horrible, broken people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

...I was super defensive over gamergate on the gamer's side and now I feel like this has made all that completely worthless now that MRAs are trying to ride off it yell and complain about feminists "bullying" Marvel. I just want to throw up my hands and go "loving geeks" about any future scandal.

Well you did decide to step up for Rhyno. I guess this is a good start?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't even know why they called it Gamergate. It had nothing to do with games. I've never seen a Depression Quest ad during The Big Bang Theory.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Woah, if Rhyno's gone, that means there's an opening for a new well known regular here at BSS. Watch out SA, there's a new star in this subforum. Soon, everyone will talk about the various quirks of WickedHate!

WickedHate posted:

...I was super defensive over gamergate on the gamer's side and now I feel like this has made all that completely worthless now that MRAs are trying to ride off it yell and complain about feminists "bullying" Marvel. I just want to throw up my hands and go "loving geeks" about any future scandal.

The same page.

EDIT: Beaten by Len.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I don't even know why they called it Gamergate. It had nothing to do with games. I've never seen a Depression Quest ad during The Big Bang Theory.

Because they were trying to turn their monstrous behavior into a cause by hooking it to a legitimate problem by way of making up a scandal.

Edit: Obviously I missed the joke. Sorry, this stupid thing has been beaten around so much that I'm even sick of laughing at it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Should've gone with gamergazi but focus groups :shrug:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I have no idea what "comicgate" is but I support this tweet because I'm tired of nerds attaching "-gate" to every little controversy that involves their particular hobby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

I have no idea what "comicgate" is but I support this tweet because I'm tired of nerds attaching "-gate" to every little controversy that involves their particular hobby.

Its not just nerds. You will see -gate attached to any controversy.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not just nerds. You will see -gate attached to any controversy.

It's almost like it goes back several decades.

Shoulda called it Comichazi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want something new to happen at the Watergate so they call it Watergategate.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TwoPair posted:

That's how the system works. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

Comichazi works too though. People are calling the new warped iPhone thing "bendghazi" with a straight face.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ror posted:

People are calling the new warped iPhone thing "bendghazi" with a straight face.
Which is awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

People are calling the new warped iPhone thing "bendghazi" with a straight face.
I'm pretty sure people are aware that It Is A Pun, and a good one.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 24, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

I want something new to happen at the Watergate so they call it Watergategate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best thing to come out of GamerGate is when Zoey Quinn tweeted photos of chats and IRC logs where the people behind GamerGate are literally plotting against her directly. There was even a reddit thread that has now been redacted where someone believed Zoey Quinn was going to stage a fake attack at PAX so they should follow her to prove her claims of stalking were made up. GamerGate is so ludicrous that Moot banned everything related to them from 4chan. From 4chan. They truly are the Tea Party of nerds.

In non-lovely news, this has been an incredibly good week for me. I got a well loved but overall high quality copy of The Nikopol Trilogy hardcover for $50 and The Incal reprint came out so I don't have to drop the $150-200 each of these books usually goes for online.

Nikopol is almost 13" long, it's an excellently crafted book.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

Well you did decide to step up for Rhyno. I guess this is a good start?

Senor Candle posted:

The same page.

EDIT: Beaten by Len.

I knew I shouldn't have wished on that Monkey Paw. :(

al-azad posted:

The best thing to come out of GamerGate is when Zoey Quinn tweeted photos of chats and IRC logs where the people behind GamerGate are literally plotting against her directly.

There was a lot more to that and that wasn't really what that was, but I don't want to argue about it because aside from (apparently) being the only one here with that belief I've already been really tired with the situation and the time I invested into making posts and thinking about it(I get really stressed easily and I'm kind of an SJW). I was just saying that the comicgate MRA bullshit, which we can agree is most certainly MRA bullshit, just made my frustration and effort even more pointless.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, BTW, Alonso told CBR that no, no, the covers weren't cancelled due to the PR disaster, it was totally a scheduling mixup and Milo can't even do them anyway and they'll totally have him do some more in the future... some time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedHate posted:

I knew I shouldn't have wished on that Monkey Paw. :(

There was a lot more to that and that wasn't really what that was, but I don't want to argue about it because aside from (apparently) being the only one here with that belief I've already been really tired with the situation and the time I invested into making posts and thinking about it(I get really stressed easily and I'm kind of an SJW). I was just saying that the comicgate MRA bullshit, which we can agree is most certainly MRA bullshit, just made my frustration and effort even more pointless.

If you are on the side of the gamersgate people, then no you aren't a SJW.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you are on the side of the gamersgate people, then no you aren't a SJW.

I don't think the movement or the majority of the people in the movement are anti-women like people think it is. And I don't mean that in the sense that I disagree about what counts as sexist, I mean that a lot of it is distorted and twisted until people think the death threats and poo poo were the intended goal, or that it represents most of the people involved. The #notmyshield tag was created by SJWs supporting it.

But I'm not really with it anymore. Like I said, I've just been trying to forget about it and starting this conversation was really not what I intended because it's just exhausting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

The #notmyshield tag was created by SJWs supporting it.

No, it wasn't. There are chat logs proving it was created by the initial misogynist element to discredit people accusing them of sexism. I don't doubt that it's been used sincerely since then.

E: This really isn't the place to discuss #gamergate, I apologize.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Is this the last thread on SA where you can debate this?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Intentions aren't actually what matter cf. Manara.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Was Taters posted:

Is this the last thread on SA where you can debate this?

There's a really big dumb one in GBS. It's like 85% shitposting, though. The mods wanted to close it but Lowtax doesn't like :siren:censorship:siren:.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nevermind, nevermind. That's not true, but I don't want to get known as an MRA dickbag for arguing this position, that thought's pretty distressing alone. I'm not even a man, which isn't to say that non-men can't be misogynistic towards women, but I'm seriously the exact opposite of that kind of person. I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

There's a really big dumb one in GBS. It's like 85% shitposting, though. The mods wanted to close it but Lowtax doesn't like :siren:censorship:siren:.

Shitposting on SA? It's more common than you think!

It has gotten harder to have decent discussions on the various subforums. This one tends to be pretty good tho - thx mods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

Nevermind, nevermind. That's not true, but I don't want to get known as an MRA dickbag for arguing this position, that thought's pretty distressing alone. I'm not even a man, which isn't to say that non-men can't be misogynistic towards women, but I'm seriously the exact opposite of that kind of person. I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Gamersgate was a bunch of rear end in a top hat misogynists grabbing on to the smallest bit of controversy they could to further an agenda of harassing men and women for pointing out that videogames are often sexist, to the point that some people felt uncomfortable staying in their own home. What did you think it was about?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Gamersgate was a bunch of rear end in a top hat misogynists grabbing on to the smallest bit of controversy they could to further an agenda of harassing men and women for pointing out that videogames are often sexist, to the point that some people felt uncomfortable staying in their own home. What did you think it was about?

But you see, games journalists are friends with games developers sometimes, unlike film journalists, who are friends with screenwriters, actors and directors sometimes, and political journalists, who are friendly with politicians sometimes...

Basically, a whole lot of people on the internet don't know how cultivating sources as a journalist actually works.

Edit: And please no-one pretend like the whole 'exclusives for good review scores' thing was anything but MRA dicks grabbing hold of a well-known issue to mask their hate. That hasn't been news since before the Giant Bomb thing.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 25, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I hate any controversy that makes me defend games journalism, because those two words are an oxymoron. But somehow, some loving idiot figured out a way to them look good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeping with a Kotaku employee is pretty gross.

Whatever your profession.

Have some standards.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

What did you think it was about?

I was behind it because I'm pretty convinced it was started with good intentions and the bad ones were small, rogue elements. The #notyourshield tag was definitely a genuine thing, which even the screencaps that were supposed to be disproving that show.

I would rather forget it about the entire thing. It's not like a war that can be won, the whole thing was just this big chaotic storm of bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I was behind it because I'm pretty convinced it was started with good intentions and the bad ones were small, rogue elements. The #notyourshield tag was definitely a genuine thing, which even the screencaps that were supposed to be disproving that show.

I would rather forget it about the entire thing. It's not like a war that can be won, the whole thing was just this big chaotic storm of bullshit.

Did you know gullible isn't printed in the dictionary?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

You have it completely backwards. It was a targeted campaign of harassment against an indie game developer who had done nothing wrong. It was kicked off by an ex-boyfriend posting a multi-page rant on an internet forum. There were no good intentions. You're clinging to fiction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Since this is going to be a thing might as well, what do you think it was about? What do you think it was trying to accomplish that was so noble?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

There were no good intentions anywhere in #gamergate.

I'll admit that Zoey Quinn and this Kotaku guy committed a pretty big conflict of interest. And I'll admit that there's probably a lot of conflicts of interest going on where game journalists come in contact with game developers (indie or AAA), and I'd like to see that addressed. But #gamergate was always always just intended to slut-shame and harass Zoey Quinn because MRAs don't like her. There were never any good intentions behind its creation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Since this is going to be a thing might as well, what do you think it was about? What do you think it was trying to accomplish that was so noble?

How hosed up gaming journalism was in general that was just kicked off by the poo poo with Quinn. It's not like this stuff was just quietly accepted before, this was just the biggest outbreak of people organizing against it.

To be honest, though, I was more involved in and enraged by the blatant lying and twisting the other side did, which is what initially roped me onto the side of the gamers. Like, if you actually look at the "evidence" that things were staged, you can tell it's a bad job at manipulation, like with the previously mentioned #notyourshield tag. This was the proof it was an intentional attempt at deflecting accusations, but it was just someone suggesting a name after a minority complained about being talked over in the issue, which is the whole point of the tag and how everyone already knew it started.

So that's how I started paying attention to the whole event. I have a complex/obsession with justice and morality, and the obvious wrong doing set me off. At least on the plus side "comicgate" seems like a complete nonissue.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 25, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The saddest thing is that even if there was good intentions (pro-tip: there wasn't), the whole thing would still be dumb because industry journalism is poo poo by it's very nature no matter what. Nerds just have a pathetic need to see everything they involve themselves with as 'mature' and 'legitimate'.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

How hosed up gaming journalism was in general that was just kicked off by the poo poo with Quinn. It's not like this stuff was just quietly accepted before, this was just the biggest outbreak of people organizing against it.

To be honest, though, I was more involved in and enraged by the blatant lying and twisting the other side did, which is what initially roped me onto the side of the gamers. Like, if you actually look at the "evidence" that things were staged, you can tell it's a bad job at manipulation, like with the previously mentioned #notyourshield tag. This was the proof it was an intentional attempt at deflecting accusations, but it was just someone suggesting a name after a minority complained about being talked over in the issue, which is the whole point of the tag and how everyone already knew it started.

So that's how I started paying attention to the whole event. I have a complex/obsession with justice and morality, and the obvious wrong doing set me off. At least on the plus side "comicgate" seems like a complete nonissue.

It's like talking to a creationist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What, exactly, is the worst sin of Zoey Quinn? Because as near as I can tell, she cheated on her boyfriend with a video game reviewer who never reviewed her video game. So it's equal parts "not an issue at all" and "none of our god damned business."

I looked at your links and I can't make heads or tails of what they are even trying to say.

• Locked thread