Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I like the idea of having reading time before the games/tv apps will be available. Not that it will make me buy a 6" tablet over my kids' ipad but it's a cool idea and I hope it catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

JoeMB posted:

"Built for even the toughest kids—Enjoy the peace of mind with an unprecedented 2-year worry-free guarantee—if they break it, we'll replace it for free. No questions asked"

Yes but as Cojawfee noted, there is a link to "Read More" about the special warranty and it says nothing about that policy. The legal wording is what may count not the advertising. I was more curious if it was a one time only thing so I looked in the legal wording and couldn't find any reference to no questions asked. I'm sure it's just an oversite but a pretty big one.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Stick100 posted:

Yes but as Cojawfee noted, there is a link to "Read More" about the special warranty and it says nothing about that policy. The legal wording is what may count not the advertising. I was more curious if it was a one time only thing so I looked in the legal wording and couldn't find any reference to no questions asked. I'm sure it's just an oversite but a pretty big one.

I think there would be a huge backlash if they didn't honor their warranty. Isn't their laws in the US for false advertisement?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

JoeMB posted:

I think there would be a huge backlash if they didn't honor their warranty. Isn't their laws in the US for false advertisement?

Ah those mighty US consumer protection laws.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone found a workaround to get *any* Android app working on Chromebooks, but it's still buggy:

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/19/this-hack-allows-you-to-run-any-android-app-on-chromebooks/

https://github.com/vladikoff/chromeos-apk

A touchscreen laptop actually makes sense to me now if it means getting to control Android apps with it. Cool stuff.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Amazon has generally been pretty drat good about returns, even in the case of third party sellers. They've never so much as questioned anything I've had to return as long as it was within the specified period. They aren't like Best Buy where you probably need some Geek Squad inspection or some bullshit like that

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Is there any way to fix the mic on a Nexus 7 that a regular tech place would know how to do?

Mine froze a while back and I assumed the hole below the volume rocker was a reset switch so I stuck a bunch of poo poo into it before figuring out the proper way to reset it and now all the mic picks up is hiss.

I bought mine at a department store in Korea so I don't think I can mail it anywhere for a replacement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EugeneJ posted:

Someone found a workaround to get *any* Android app working on Chromebooks, but it's still buggy:

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/19/this-hack-allows-you-to-run-any-android-app-on-chromebooks/

https://github.com/vladikoff/chromeos-apk

A touchscreen laptop actually makes sense to me now if it means getting to control Android apps with it. Cool stuff.

This should really be in the app thread.

IIRC, you posted about the official ChromeOS-Android support in this thread too.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Xperia Z2 tablet is really god drat impressive. Significantly lighter and thinner than my kids' iPad air :stare:

The Sony OS skin and apps are actually pretty good too, particularly the walkman one. And most importantly, comiXology recognizes it as an HD device and downloads the HD versions of my comics - which look really god drat great on the display. As good or better than Apple's retina screen, and it's 16x10 so the pages fill the screen with no borders/letterboxing. Looks like I won't be missing my work-provided iPad after all.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Now all there's left to do is reading comics in your tub. Have fun!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

What's a good cheap 10" Android tablet to be used only for web browsing and reading books on the couch? Don't care at all about productivity, games or the ability to play media beyond youtube.

Tried just looking at reviews but there are so many..

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is on sale for $129 today (refurb). Pretty good deal.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Looks nice, sadly Amazon won't ship electronics to NZ :(

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I just got a Nvidia Shield Tablet (The Wifi only version) with the bundled controller. So far I'm pretty impressed with the hardware and the controller feels fantastic and is extremely responsive.

I think I might try an emulator on it and hook it up to my TV so I can use it as a console too. I've never really gotten into emulators before though so does anyone have a good suggestion as a starting point for android based console emulators?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gunktacular posted:

I just got a Nvidia Shield Tablet (The Wifi only version) with the bundled controller. So far I'm pretty impressed with the hardware and the controller feels fantastic and is extremely responsive.

I think I might try an emulator on it and hook it up to my TV so I can use it as a console too. I've never really gotten into emulators before though so does anyone have a good suggestion as a starting point for android based console emulators?

RetroArch.

https://www.explusalpha.com

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm pretty sure I am going to pick up a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or 10.5 LTE before this weekend, with basically identical specs between the two models besides screen size can anyone think of a compelling reason why I shouldn't get the 8.4? It's partially to replace my Kindle which leans heavily on the 8.4 size on top of overall portability, it's mostly going to be Kindle/Web Browsing/Video so I'm not seeing much reason to go with the 10.5, I rarely take my iPad 2 anywhere in large part do to the size.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure I am going to pick up a Galaxy Tab 8.4 or 10.5 LTE before this weekend, with basically identical specs between the two models besides screen size can anyone think of a compelling reason why I shouldn't get the 8.4? It's partially to replace my Kindle which leans heavily on the 8.4 size on top of overall portability, it's mostly going to be Kindle/Web Browsing/Video so I'm not seeing much reason to go with the 10.5, I rarely take my iPad 2 anywhere in large part do to the size.

Not really, they're pretty drat good devices.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure I am going to pick up a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or 10.5 LTE before this weekend, with basically identical specs between the two models besides screen size can anyone think of a compelling reason why I shouldn't get the 8.4? It's partially to replace my Kindle which leans heavily on the 8.4 size on top of overall portability, it's mostly going to be Kindle/Web Browsing/Video so I'm not seeing much reason to go with the 10.5, I rarely take my iPad 2 anywhere in large part do to the size.

Best one out at the moment. But Google are going to announce a new Nexus before the end of the month so I would wait for that just in case.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Daimo posted:

Best one out at the moment. But Google are going to announce a new Nexus before the end of the month so I would wait for that just in case.

Between a large credit I have with AT&T, LTE and 0% financing I'm seeing very little reason to wait. I mean I could just apply the credit to my bill and I don't really need the financing but 0% and a credit means I could just pay it off in two months out of the money I waste on stupid poo poo part of my monthly budget and it basically becomes free to me, budget wise.

Oh and I broke my Kindle which I really need to replace anyways so if I'm waiting a month and a half to two months I probably need to just go ahead and buy another Kindle and there just seems like way too much overlap for my use between a new Kindle and a 8 inch tablet to justify buying both within a couple of months of each other.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 24, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Daimo posted:

But Google are going to announce a new Nexus before the end of the month so I would wait for that just in case.
The hard date guesses for it have all been in October and the September date guesses are from Nvidia's nebulous "expected in Q3" statement.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Effectively free is a good reason I suppose. Enjoy! :)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I got an Asus MeMopad 8 today, is this the thread to ask idiots questions in about it?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 25, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I got an Asus MeMopad 8 today, is this the thread to ask idiots questions in about it?

Pretty much the right thread unless someone says that we only talk about Nexus 7 here (kidding).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Need to get a tablet for my daughter. It's just going to be used for kids games and Plex. Is there anything wrong with those $100 Intel tablets? Like the ASUS MeMO Pad 7? Or should I consider one of those Mediatek tablets instead?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, cool.

My questions are mostly about expanding my base capabilities. I was looking into some stuff and apparently I have to root the thing to use a ps3 controller or wii remote now? That's pretty lovely if true. I'd like a controller for it, but I'd prefer to use one of the many I already own instead of buying a new one. Similarly, what's a good keyboard to get? Perhaps even one of those case+keyboard combos if there is one designed for this tablet (I haven't found any with some searching so I dunno).

The other thing I was messing with last night was trying to get flash working as that has also been taken away in an android update. Supposedly that browser "Dolphin" can do it, but the current version is broke as poo poo if you enable Jetpack. The previous version had the Jetpack app as a separate thing and supposedly worked perfectly fine, the comments are all bitching about it. Am I better off just waiting for a potential update or sideloading the old version? If sideload, where can I get an old version of an app that is remotely trustworthy?

And on that note my third and final question is do I need to be doing anything security wise? If there is something like the Security Essentials, Adblock Plus, Noscript, and Spybot immunization/host file entries combo I use on PCs that would be pretty good. This thing is connected to my primary google account afterall, I don't want my poo poo getting hacked. And of course blocking lots of retarded animated ads will make the browser work a lot better too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Need to get a tablet for my daughter. It's just going to be used for kids games and Plex. Is there anything wrong with those $100 Intel tablets? Like the ASUS MeMO Pad 7? Or should I consider one of those Mediatek tablets instead?

You can get a refurbished Nexus 7 for $130 on eBay. Spend the extra.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

WhyteRyce posted:

Consider the Fire HD Kids Edition. Get a year of FreeTime Unlimited, a bulky kids case, and for 2 years they'll replace it if your kid breaks it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DemonMage posted:

Consider the Fire HD Kids Edition. Get a year of FreeTime Unlimited, a bulky kids case, and for 2 years they'll replace it if your kid breaks it.

Yeah, this is probably what I'm going to get. It seems pretty nice... as long as you can install Plex on it, that is.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Plex is in the Amazon AppStore, so I'd imagine you could.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DemonMage posted:

Endless Mike posted:

You can get a refurbished Nexus 7 for $130 on eBay. Spend the extra.

I considered both of those but I want something with an SD slot because I can't always rely on having Plex access and I'd like to have a giant catalog of her favorites available when not on wifi (in a plane, in a car, etc.). And we've got apps purchased on both the Amazon app store and on Play and I'd rather not have to deal with sideloading if I don't have to

I guess I can get a Tab 4 for about that price, are those any good?

edit- bleh, the Tab 4's only advantage over the Nexus is an SD slot. I might as well just get the 32GB model then

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 26, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just grabbed a slightly used Nexus 7 32GB (2013) off Ebay for $160, looking forward to trying it out.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 26, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So I have my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE now and the screen is absolutely stunning, it's almost hard to use it side by side with my LG G3 which keep in mind has a 5.5 inch 2k display. But a few things, I finally understand why people hate TouchWiz so much, it can go gently caress itself, it added a home screen that wasn't deletable with Samsung poo poo on it and overall the thing was ugly, replacing it with the Google Now laucher drastically improved things.

Why do you do this Samsung? I thought LG's launcher was like every other and I didn't understand why people were always looking for replacements but Samsung's is poo poo.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I will be leaving on a two week trip for work soon, and I have a lot of hours to kill on airplanes (without WiFi).

I've never played Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy Tactics. I am debating bringing both via emulation on my Nexus 7, but I've never used a PS1 (or PSP) emulator for the former, nor have I tried a SNES emulator for the latter.

Will these emulate successfully? Are the touchscreen controls as awful as I am imagining they are? Any specific recommendations?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So the weirdest thing, I bought one of those outlets with USB chargers built in for my kitchen which I have to say is the greatest thing ever, two regular plugs with two USB 2 amp chargers between them. I have used them to charge everything, iPad, iPhone, LG G3, Fitbit, Kindle, I have never had a single problem until my Tab S 8.4, it charges fine on my LG charger, fine on the Moto G charger I keep at my office (Although expectedly slowly) and yet it will not charge on the charger built into my outlet at all, not even a can't charge icon, it's like it was never plugged in at all.

Any have a possible explanation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Samsunged again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

So the weirdest thing, I bought one of those outlets with USB chargers built in for my kitchen which I have to say is the greatest thing ever, two regular plugs with two USB 2 amp chargers between them. I have used them to charge everything, iPad, iPhone, LG G3, Fitbit, Kindle, I have never had a single problem until my Tab S 8.4, it charges fine on my LG charger, fine on the Moto G charger I keep at my office (Although expectedly slowly) and yet it will not charge on the charger built into my outlet at all, not even a can't charge icon, it's like it was never plugged in at all.

There are many different standards used to tell USB devices they can pull a higher charge off a port, without having a full on computer involved that can use drivers to figure out the right way. And some devices not only require that but also require other signaling to charge at all.

The outlet set you bought simply doesn't have the right stuff set within it to tell the Tab S 8.4 to charge at high power, and apparently the fallback mode it has makes the tablet think its connected to a broken charger or something.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

There are many different standards used to tell USB devices they can pull a higher charge off a port, without having a full on computer involved that can use drivers to figure out the right way. And some devices not only require that but also require other signaling to charge at all.

The outlet set you bought simply doesn't have the right stuff set within it to tell the Tab S 8.4 to charge at high power, and apparently the fallback mode it has makes the tablet think its connected to a broken charger or something.

I always thought it was iPhones/iPads that were super super picky about the chargers. Oh well, I really like that wall outlet, I guess I will have to use the stupid USB adapter thingy to charge it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Both my N10 and Galaxy Nexus were picky about chargers as well. Also, the charger that came with my N10 occasionally had issues charging my N7 2012 properly.

So, yeah, Samsungd.

Though, my N7 2013 has been somewhat picky as well. I have a 1.2 AMP motorola car charger and it hasn't had any issues charging my Droid MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, or N10 at full AC power. However, my N7 2013 will fall back to USB charging with it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My N7 2013, Galaxy S4 and Nokia Lumia 925 all charge with anything fine (even with my 10400mAh battery pack), but my Asus TF201 only charges via USB connected to a PC or with its own charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Three Olives posted:

My Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 started to be picky about 2A chargers after the 4.4 update, after it was installed it would only charge from Samsung brand chargers. The behavior was that it would charge while the device was awake but would stop when the device slept. Curiously, when these chargers were connected to a Samsung brand desktop dock, they could then charge the device just fine. Hard to see it as something other than Samsung being dicks.