Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Keiya posted:

I take it you've never played Smash then? It's inputs are incredibly simple... and it's still far from 'solved'.
Smash isn't a fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Korendian Leader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6RZfSnu7E
How does white tankjr make you feel? Do you not see the clear visual advantages to running a config like this? It also looks nice!

This doesn't remind me of the Doom Comic at all. It doesn't even have Lo Wang or Duke making wisecracks. Boring IMO

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

By the time you stumble upon a Cybie with any class in DoomRL you should be able to take it down in 15 seconds, whether it be with a Scout revolver, a Marine autoshottie, or an autocannon.

when i played doomrlarsenal by itself, it just seemed like shotguns never cut it for most of the tougher enemies, even as a marine or renegade. playing it multiplayer with a friend solidified that opinion further when he was 1-2 shotting barons of hell with the revolver as a scout and it took me like 8-12 shots with a plasmatic shrapnel assault shotgun.

in doomrpg it doesn't matter what class you are, because yeah, by the time you start seeing cyberdemons you are a walking god.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This doesn't remind me of the Doom Comic at all. It doesn't even have Lo Wang or Duke making wisecracks. Boring IMO

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

this actually got me thinking: an "All Stars" arena FPS like Super Smash Bros, but for FPS games. Gordon Freeman, JC Denton, Duke Nukem, Doomguy, Quakeguy/Ranger, Bitterman, etc. all fighting to the death in arenas from their respective games.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Amethyst is the Adam Bowen of Early FPS games hth

Also the new Heavy Machine Gun in QL feels REALLY overpowered.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Amethyst is the Adam Bowen of Early FPS games hth

Also the new Heavy Machine Gun in QL feels REALLY overpowered.

I don't know who adam bowen is

I also don't see the point in the new machine gun, since it obsoletes the old one completely. Why not just buff the old one?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Segmentation Fault posted:

this actually got me thinking: an "All Stars" arena FPS like Super Smash Bros, but for FPS games. Gordon Freeman, JC Denton, Duke Nukem, Doomguy, Quakeguy/Ranger, Bitterman, etc. all fighting to the death in arenas from their respective games.

Mecha-Hitler banned for being too OP.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Korendian Leader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6RZfSnu7E
How does white tankjr make you feel? Do you not see the clear visual advantages to running a config like this? It also looks nice!

I played UT4 today, it basically looked like that but that's because it's literally not finished and doesn't have more than three textures.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, how's the ecwolf mod that was being posted about earlier coming? Is it still just waiting for the music?

Also holy god that white tankjr config looks ugly as poo poo, how can anyone think that that looks passable, let alone "nice"?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, how's the ecwolf mod that was being posted about earlier coming? Is it still just waiting for the music?

Also holy god that white tankjr config looks ugly as poo poo, how can anyone think that that looks passable, let alone "nice"?

What's wrong with it? Clean geometry that is extremely readable.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Amethyst posted:

What's wrong with it? Clean geometry that is extremely readable.

"Looks like an actual thing" is something people who aren't sexual deviants actually want in a game. Also maps that aren't geocomp maps tend to rely on their textures for orientation and landmarks.

Besides, if you need to use r_picmip to make The Bad Place more readable you are legally blind, congratulations.

EDIT: How the gently caress can you play without the red hit flash and player pain grunts? That's one of the most essential cues in the game. :psyduck:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, basically. It could be a while. The whole thing's playable in more or less its final gameplay from start to finish but it's missing some final polish and about a third of the soundtrack, and the soundtrack is all in the hands of Bashe and Shane.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That "clean geometry" is pretty hard for me to read at least, doubly so at high speeds like that video is moving at. Everything is the same shade and tone of grey except the weapons (aren't those usually disabled in high level play?) so I get pretty lost and confused as to where he is on the map.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

EDIT: How the gently caress can you play without the red hit flash and player pain grunts? That's one of the most essential cues in the game. :psyduck:
What 'red hit flash' are you refering to? Also, there are pain sfx in that video. They're just quiet because, y'know, frag video.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

"Looks like an actual thing" is something people who aren't sexual deviants actually want in a game. Also maps that aren't geocomp maps tend to rely on their textures for orientation and landmarks.

Everyone has their own tastes to how they want the game to look, which is a perk of Quake being so customizable. I think it's extremely uncool and also fail to call good Quake players "sexual deviants", here, in the Early FPS Megathread.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Korendian Leader posted:

What 'red hit flash' are you refering to? Also, there are pain sfx in that video. They're just quiet because, y'know, frag video.

The red effect in basically every FPS ever made when you take damage.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

The red effect in basically every FPS ever made when you take damage.
Oh, probably because it's redundant visual information. When you get shot there's already an audio cue and you'll feel it because of the knock-back. It's another thing that comes down to preference like viewbob but a lot of players opt to keep it disabled.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I guess that could work for some people but I find the combination of visual (impossible to ignore) and audio (much more quickly processed than visual due to the way the brain works) cues to be indispensable. They're complementary, not redundant.

Amethyst posted:

I also don't see the point in the new machine gun, since it obsoletes the old one completely. Why not just buff the old one?

They ruined the lightning gun and realized they left an important hole in the Q3 weapon roster left by the lightning gun so they cooked up a bullshit new weapon that looks dumb and is redundant instead of just restoring the LG's Q3 performance. I think :pgi: devs moonlight on the Quake Live team.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I guess that could work for some people but I find the combination of visual (impossible to ignore) and audio (much more quickly processed than visual due to the way the brain works) cues to be indispensable. They're complementary, not redundant.

They ruined the lightning gun and realized they left an important hole in the Q3 weapon roster left by the lightning gun so they cooked up a bullshit new weapon that looks dumb and is redundant instead of just restoring the LG's Q3 performance.

Good news gamer, you can turn it on in the config

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's supposed to be always on, because it's part of the game. Really pretty much all the QL graphics options could go away because any computer worth keeping around can play Quake III at max settings and then some, and anyone who doesn't like it can go mod Q3A and start their own dedicated servers.

Actually they wouldn't even need to do that because CPMA still exists.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

It's supposed to be always on, because it's part of the game. Really pretty much all the QL graphics options could go away because any computer worth keeping around can play Quake III at max settings and then some, and anyone who doesn't like it can go mod Q3A and start their own dedicated servers.

Nope. That's why the config exists, so you can customise this poo poo. What are you a console gamer?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

It's supposed to be always on, because it's part of the game.

The "off" setting is also part of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There is not an army of competitive Q3A players forcing you to turn this off btw. It's a matter of taste, and what works best for you, the gamer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've been playing on PC games since before anyone ever heard of Quake, and the only options IN MY DAY :corsair: were to set the music and sounds for your particular awful ISA sound card (only rich people had an UltraSound), and setting the game window size to "I can't see poo poo" if you're running a 386SX and can't handle the game running in fullscreen.

E: Nobody played a 2.5D FPS with low screen size or pixel doubling back in the DOS days if they could avoid it, you literally couldn't see a goddamn thing.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 25, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Woolie Wool posted:

I've been playing on PC games since before anyone ever heard of Quake, and the only options IN MY DAY were to set the music and sounds for your particular awful ISA sound card (only rich people had an UltraSound), and setting the game window size to "I can't see poo poo" if you're running a 386SX and can't handle the game running in fullscreen.

Boss key. Modern games need to bring back the boss key.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

Actually they wouldn't even need to do that because CPMA still exists.
They would because CPMA and VQL are very different games. I don't think it's reasonable to want to drive away the entire quake live competitive scene because they use a variety of different options that you personally don't wish to use.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

I've been playing on PC games since before anyone ever heard of Quake, and the only options IN MY DAY :corsair: were to set the music and sounds for your particular awful ISA sound card (only rich people had an UltraSound), and setting the game window size to "I can't see poo poo" if you're running a 386SX and can't handle the game running in fullscreen.

Gaming has changed. - Old Snake

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Old man yells at cloud gaming.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh my God I hope we never have to deal with Cloud Gaming. I want all of my installs on my hard drive, where they belong.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Gaming has changed. - Old Snake

Well it did make sure everyone was playing the game with the look the game was intended to have, "customizing" the textures or player sprites was ipso facto cheating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well it did make sure everyone was playing the game with the look the game was intended to have, "customizing" the textures or player sprites was ipso facto cheating.

And now, at least in the context of the Quake competitive scene, it isn't considered cheating. Gaming has changed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

jesus christ who cares

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh my God I hope we never have to deal with Cloud Gaming. I want all of my installs on my hard drive, where they belong.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Is that still a thing? I remember hearing that they used tachyons to describe how the tech worked, then there was a limited release and some people said it actually wasn't that bad, and then it just disappeared.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It wasn't terrible, but it was still worse than just having it installed, and having your single player game ruined by a router hiccup is the dumbest thing ever.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Geight posted:

Is that still a thing? I remember hearing that they used tachyons to describe how the tech worked, then there was a limited release and some people said it actually wasn't that bad, and then it just disappeared.

Yeah, they still exist, though now they're primarily trying to sell the technology as an RDP/teamviewer replacement. It worked well enough when I tried it a few years ago, though compression artifacts and very slight input lag put me off it (also I owned all the games they offered at the time.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

MMOs have existed for over 2 decades.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The compression artifacts by themselves sound like a killer to me, especially if the interface requires you to read things often.

Also holy poo poo the enemy placement in Duke 3D episode 2 is bullshit. Lots of gently caress-you situations (especially with the kamikaze bots) that you basically have to save-reload until you get them right to get through without taking a lot of damage. Duke It Out in D.C. feels so much better designed by comparison.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I remember John Carmack talking about how cloud streaming and services like OnLive were going to be huge a few years ago. It honestly made me think a little less of him that he genuinely believed it to be a worthwhile thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nintendo Kid posted:

MMOs have existed for over 2 decades.

Hey, hey...hey.

Go gently caress yourself.