Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Invaded Ukraine a number of times (though the last instance probably worked out better for West Ukrainians, as the alternative would have been USSR). How far back are we going anyway?

Well Ukraine/Russia also invaded Poland a number of times, hence the arch-nemesis thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

I've yet to hear anyone speak ill of Andorra.

I haven't heard anyone say anything good about Andorra either.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Poles held a pogrom against the surviving Jews the moment they go rid of the nazis, so gently caress them too.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Czechs have never done anything bad.

You forget the Hussite wagon-rampages in Germany, sir.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Basques maybe? If you're willing to forgive the terrorism thing? It was against fascists

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

Well Ukraine/Russia also invaded Poland a number of times, hence the arch-nemesis thing.
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to lay the actions of their imperial masters at the feet of the Ukrainians.

Kulkasha posted:

You forget the Hussite wagon-rampages in Germany, sir.
No deed done in the service of God can be evil.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Slavs treating Germans badly after WW2 is a freebie.

They were treating them like poo poo in a lot of ways before WW2. e.g. Prague confiscated German-owned large estates and distributed them to Czechs, attempted to suppress the German language, granted relief funds to Czechs and not to Germans during the Great Depression, etc. These efforts to suppress national feeling backfired and probably influenced the German population joining Nazi-affiliated parties in mass numbers after 1933. There's a tendency to forget about it because nobody paid a lot of attention at the time, and later on Czechoslovakia was seen more as a Democratic victim of fascism and Franco-British betrayal, but the first republic had a bad minority policy and that made a real contribution to its collapse.

It was after WW2 that they just expelled all their Germans.

icantfindaname posted:

I like the Poles. Their national identity seems held together by hatred of their arch-nemesis Russia, and considering Russia is pretty lovely that's fine by me. I guess they're sort of bad on abortion issues? I can't think of much else.

Anti-semitism was already mentioned, but speaking of Czechoslovakia the Polish government took advantage of the Munich Agreement to jump in and seize a small chunk for themselves. I guess you gotta make hay while the sun shines, even if it means colluding with the same Nazis who are chomping at the bit to invade you as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

They were treating them like poo poo in a lot of ways before WW2. e.g. Prague confiscated German-owned large estates and distributed them to Czechs, attempted to suppress the German language, granted relief funds to Czechs and not to Germans during the Great Depression, etc. These efforts to suppress national feeling backfired and probably influenced the German population joining Nazi-affiliated parties in mass numbers after 1933. There's a tendency to forget about it because nobody paid a lot of attention at the time, and later on Czechoslovakia was seen more as a Democratic victim of fascism and Franco-British betrayal, but the first republic had a bad minority policy and that made a real contribution to its collapse.

It was after WW2 that they just expelled all their Germans.
I knew I could count on this thread to show me the skeletons on the Czechs' closest.

EvanSchenck posted:

Anti-semitism was already mentioned, but speaking of Czechoslovakia the Polish government took advantage of the Munich Agreement to jump in and seize a small chunk for themselves. I guess you gotta make hay while the sun shines, even if it means colluding with the same Nazis who are chomping at the bit to invade you as well.
Yeah, a lot of the states that were attacked by the Germans and the Russians were pretty lovely themselves, they just have the advantage of having been comparatively weak, and existing at the same time as Nazi Germany, so no one gives much of a poo poo.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

The Basques maybe? If you're willing to forgive the terrorism thing? It was against fascists

:crossarms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ETA_attacks

In case you consider all victims prior to 1978 as "fascists", just read onwards then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did Austria-Hungary do much awful stuff other than suppress nationalities as political units?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DrSunshine posted:

What is a "good" country, then? Is there a single country in the world that passes the D&D test for Goodness?

As your question stands now, the only country that would fit Debate and Discussion's standards is probably the Most Serene Republic of San Marino. It carried out its last execution in 1468 and abolished the death penalty in 1848. Since establishment, it has only ever used its military in self-defense. Although a tax haven, San Marino has one of the most transparent banking systems among the microstates. The rapid turnover rate for leaders makes political corruption almost non-existent.

At worst, you could criticize it for having no formal asylum policy.

If you want to discuss whether any bigger countries can be "good," you will need to define your question a little better. Are we talking good in context of citizens, the world community, the environment? Domestic? International? Macro-level? Micro? Is good defined in relation to other states?

Back to maps: Here's a cartogram of the world. Let's all laugh at Russia.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Everybody likes a comeback story, so let's go with Germany or Japan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

Did Austria-Hungary do much awful stuff other than suppress nationalities as political units?
They did try to genocide the Serbs during WWI, as documented by some German guy I can't remember the name of offhand.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Why does Japan seem bigger than America on that population map?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Russia looks like a boomerang or bow or something on that map.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Amused to Death posted:

Optical illusion? :v: If you count the squares it's definitely significantly smaller than the US.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Amused to Death posted:

I guess because the population density makes Japan look bigger than it actually is? It's not like the US is a particularly crowded country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Australia looks like one of the aliens from Space Invaders. New Zealand looks like the squiggly things they dropped.

There should be a new version where a guy in a boat has to avoid a never ending onslaught of tiny angry Australias.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

The throne was inherited by João O Retardado, who had zero points in every leadership category.

Thanks for my new Steam display name.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Something I've always wondered. Just what is it about East Asia that made it so populous? What in history made it so full of people compared to the rest of the world?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

Something I've always wondered. Just what is it about East Asia that made it so populous? What in history made it so full of people compared to the rest of the world?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ethiser posted:

No black death would be my guess.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Ethiser posted:

Extremely efficient agriculture based on rice cultivation and a lack of prosperity until long after the first industrial revolution.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Ethiser posted:

Rice is a big part of it, since it yields more in terms of calories per acre than other staple grains, plus it's really labor intensive to grow. Premodern substance rice agriculture requires more people in a smaller area, and it supports more people using less land.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Nepal is surprisingly big on that map.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Probably the amount and quality of arable land too. Most of Europe is comparatively lovely land, whereas growing rice near the Yangtze or Indus is pretty much free food, minus the heavy manual labor needed to collect it. Well, and engineering to prevent everything from flooding all the time. But yeah.

Peanut President posted:

China/India had plagues too, that wasn't unique to Europe

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2014

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Peanut President posted:

Haha, joke's on you, bubonic plague killed off one-third to one-half of the population in Eastern Asia and directly influenced the fall of the mighty mongol Yuan Dynasty in China.
The plague was, as a general rule, equivalently lethal throughout the Old World except in very isolated cases.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Hasn't Europe had a lot more wars, and more brutal to the civilian population?

e: a related chart:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If I recall correctly, the 1800s in China saw (in addition to civil wars which killed tens of millions) severe ecological disasters in the Huang He valley.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Konstantin posted:

Rice is a big part of it, since it yields more in terms of calories per acre than other staple grains, plus it's really labor intensive to grow. Premodern substance rice agriculture requires more people in a smaller area, and it supports more people using less land.

The greater number of people supportable on rice compared to wheat is the explanation I've always seen for this, yeah.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Asia is the largest landmass in the temperate zone, nerds. East Asia is the largest landmass's largest area of workable soil. Steppe/grassland was not workable until the advent of the steel plow in the industrial revolution.*

Light green is temperate forest, dark green is subtropical forest, purple is Mediterranean. Yellow is savannah, now major breadbasket areas but before the 19th century not suitable for agriculture.

Bam. East Asia supports the largest population on pre-industrial arable land. Throw in India and the disparity in temperate-zone workable soil compared to every other continent isn't just noticeable, it's enormous. Consider yourselves cartographized.

*The grass in grassland biomes creates a root system several meters thick. The soil in the American Midwest or the Eurasian Steppe is excellent but full of thick, fibrous vegetable matter that was impossible to plow up before steel plows. Wooden and cast iron plows will break before cutting a furrow through old-growth grassland sod.

Irrigation of crops is also a serious problem for the intensive grassland agriculture you see in the American Midwest. Cereal grasses are not adapted to the relatively arid climate like native grasses and extensive irrigation is necessary. The last 100 years of industrialized agriculture in both the American and Eurasian steppe country has depleted natural groundwater and isn't sustainable over the next 100-200 years in its current form. The Aral Sea is the most striking example of the Eurasian Steppe's inability to support intensive agriculture over the long term.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Note: During the last five years India has grown by ~80 squares.

Note2: During the last 10 years Africa has grown by ~230 squares (more than the population of Brazil).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those dark green areas in China support three harvests per year in some places. It really is just that East Asia had the most arable land in the temperate crop-growing band until the industrial revolution made the American and Eurasian grasslands available for agriculture.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Irrigation of crops is also a serious problem for the intensive grassland agriculture you see in the American Midwest. Cereal grasses are not adapted to the relatively arid climate like native grasses and extensive irrigation is necessary. The last 100 years of industrialized agriculture in both the American and Eurasian steppe country has depleted natural groundwater and isn't sustainable over the next 100-200 years in its current form. The Aral Sea is the most striking example of the Eurasian Steppe's inability to support intensive agriculture over the long term.

I thought the Aral Sea depletion was mostly to grow cotton in what amounts to the desert? Like we're not talking about the equivalent of growing wheat in Nebraska but growing a water intensive crop in a region with literally no water around. The Southwest has water problems but that's more because of cities like Phoenix and LA using as much as they possibly can

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

I thought the Aral Sea depletion was mostly to grow cotton in what amounts to the desert? Like we're not talking about the equivalent of growing wheat in Nebraska but growing a water intensive crop in a region with literally no water around. The Southwest has water problems but that's more because of cities like Phoenix and LA using as much as they possibly can

Actually, guess what crop's gotten grown a lot in Arizona and California?

The big cities of the southwest are pretty much blips next to the water use involved in turning the desert into farmland.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kulkasha posted:

Haha, joke's on you, bubonic plague killed off one-third to one-half of the population in Eastern Asia and directly influenced the fall of the mighty mongol Yuan Dynasty in China.
The plague was, as a general rule, equivalently lethal throughout the Old World except in very isolated cases.

Wow I always thought the main part of it was isolated to europe.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Actually, guess what crop's gotten grown a lot in Arizona and California?

The big cities of the southwest are pretty much blips next to the water use involved in turning the desert into farmland.

Last I checked a ton of the crops grown in California are not things that should be grown in that environment and are huge wastes of water. It is basically a case against water subsidies for agriculture.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Golbez posted:

Surprised no representation from Northern Ireland on there.

Sinn Fein are members of the Left caucus, whereas the SDLP are PES members (i.e. social democrats).

Jaramin posted:

Here's one with gradations depicting how yes/no a province went. No discreet legend though.

Hey, a map I coloured!

Most councils were 53±5%, so there was no point in discrete colouring.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Consider yourselves cartographized.

I smell MTV2's next hit show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, it really tripped me out because I've spent huge amounts of time at PHX. Before I went there, I assumed they imported pretty much all of their food because it is a loving desert.

But no, because capitalism demands maximum utilization of the cheapest resource "maximum efficiency", it's a loving agricultural wonderland. Sure, importing water is expensive, but sunlight is free so some actuarial analyst figured out that depleting water reserves is cheaper than gaining access to more free sunlight.