Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Bruceski posted:

Is this the game with Lovingly Rendered Sandwich?

No, that was in Unleashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Eggman's moustache and Elise's orange stockings are the only lovingly rendered things in this game.

Also I made some minor edits to the OP and labeled the videos so you can tell which story happens in them.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

SWMadness posted:

I've seen people speed-run it.

And when they do, they skip past half to two thirds of the game.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

With the worst sidequest finished we can go to the bishop and face the Trials of Soleanna. Unfortunately a beloved companion will die before we can reach the gates of Kingdom Valley. So it goes.

Part 23 (Franz Kafka's The Trials of Soleanna): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBS6n_QGyI

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hahahahaha so much loving tracing

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Of course it's trial and error! That's why it's called a trial!

HulkaMatt why the gently caress did you put all these robots into the second trial? This is where I got severely stuck when trying to play this abomination because it is so. loving. bad.

Everything wrong with the "combat system" cumulates into a random-rear end difficulty spike that eclipses even mach speed rear end. You're rolling dice against the physics with every action you take and you will lose. A lot. And then sit through three loading screens that sum up everything else that's wrong with the utter pile of dross you're trying to play for some reason.
Most of the terribleness in Sonic 06 is kinda quaint and you can laugh at it and ridicule all the glitches and break levels and have some fun. The Trial of Cuntrage? It's the most frustrating, random-rear end poo poo and you will scream violent death wishes onto whoever thought of the no-hit challenge. Or onto the LPer who forces you to watch through all that nonsense again. At least you did it!

I tried doing this while taking a shot for every death! You know what? It doesn't loving matter! You think there is anything you can do with skill? Practice? Reflexes? Go gently caress yourself, Sonic 06 is ugly today.

EDIT: Lest I forget - somehow the third trial is even dumber how is this possible

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 24, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
trial of courage is actually really easy

green gem has range roughly a billion times bigger then it implies, and it one shots almost all robots

sonic 2006 is a misunderstood game with no flaws, just flawed players. it's a lot like daikatana in that way

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

darealkooky posted:

sonic 2006 is a misunderstood game with no flaws, just flawed players. it's a lot like daikatana in that way

Design is law. It's truly a master 3D platformer. :smuggo:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

darealkooky posted:

trial of courage is actually really easy

green gem has range roughly a billion times bigger then it implies, and it one shots almost all robots

I used the green gem in test runs and got iced by the laser robots which couldn't hit me using the red. Green may have helped on the big stump though.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
This is great! I marathoned through this LP over the last few days. Love it. I'm a connoisseur of bad games, so of course Sonic 06 is among my favorites. I played it a couple of years ago. Hoo boy... the only part I didn't make it through legitimately was that loving billiard puzzle. (Does that even count as a puzzle?) I gave up and glitched past it after failing over and over and over and over and over and--I can't believe you got it on the first try!

That's the only part of the pokecapn LP I've watched, because I wanted to see if they managed it, and how long it took. About twenty minutes and a lot of screaming, as it turned out.

I cracked up when Hulkamatt saw Sonic Man and said "Oh my god, he runs like Ulillillia!" because that's exactly what I thought of, too.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love Sonic and all the gang. Metal Sonic. Silver Sonic. Uncle Chuck. Rotor the Walrus. Princess Sally. Dingo. Breezie. Robotnik Jr. Dr. Kintobor. Dr Gerald Robotnik. Shadow the Hedgehog. Bean the Dynamite. Bark the Polar Bear. Coconuts the Monkey. Manic the Hedgehog. Anime Child. Couldn't pick just one if ya asked me!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

judge reinhold posted:

I love Sonic and all the gang. Metal Sonic. Silver Sonic. Uncle Chuck. Rotor the Walrus. Princess Sally. Dingo. Breezie. Robotnik Jr. Dr. Kintobor. Dr Gerald Robotnik. Shadow the Hedgehog. Bean the Dynamite. Bark the Polar Bear. Coconuts the Monkey. Manic the Hedgehog. Anime Child. Couldn't pick just one if ya asked me!

I... I'm somewhat frightened that I can't tell how many of those are not actual characters. I'm pretty sure Anime Child isn't, at least, but beyond that...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm 99% sure those are all real, right down to anime kid in Sonic X.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It's really ridiculous how many different incarnations of Sonic there have been and how many various side characters he's had. Besides the original games where the characters for some reason are all still around, there was also the old cartoon with Scratch & Grounder, the comics which had a rabbit called Johnny who died when they introduced Chaos, the anime cartoon which can gently caress off, the 3D games which bring us awesome characters like Big The Cat, the other cartoon where he's in a band with his siblings who are never seen again, I think there was an entirely separate set of comics as well, and I'm sure there's at least a few more mediums I'm not sad enough to recall.

Oh, and enough ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL fanfiction characters to fill an industrial size meat grinder. But they're all worthless, stupid ideas, like a jet-black hedgehog who is gritty and serious who discovers he's some kind of experiment, and can use Chaos emeralds to something something energy power magic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

judge reinhold posted:

Shoeless posted:

I... I'm somewhat frightened that I can't tell how many of those are not actual characters. I'm pretty sure Anime Child isn't, at least, but beyond that...

The only ones I don't recognize are "Robotnik Jr.", "Dingo" and "Breezie".

TheDarkFlame posted:

Oh, and enough ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL fanfiction characters to fill an industrial size meat grinder. But they're all worthless, stupid ideas, like a jet-black hedgehog who is gritty and serious who discovers he's some kind of experiment, and can use Chaos emeralds to something something energy power magic.
:golfclap:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

TheDarkFlame posted:

Wait, you just described my totally original character, Explosionguy the Hedgehog! You'll be hearing from my e-lawyer*!

* Original character do not steal

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

judge reinhold posted:

Could you pick two?

Simply Simon posted:

Of course it's trial and error! That's why it's called a trial!

HulkaMatt why the gently caress did you put all these robots into the second trial? This is where I got severely stuck when trying to play this abomination because it is so. loving. bad.

Everything wrong with the "combat system" cumulates into a random-rear end difficulty spike that eclipses even mach speed rear end. You're rolling dice against the physics with every action you take and you will lose. A lot. And then sit through three loading screens that sum up everything else that's wrong with the utter pile of dross you're trying to play for some reason.
Most of the terribleness in Sonic 06 is kinda quaint and you can laugh at it and ridicule all the glitches and break levels and have some fun. The Trial of Cuntrage? It's the most frustrating, random-rear end poo poo and you will scream violent death wishes onto whoever thought of the no-hit challenge. Or onto the LPer who forces you to watch through all that nonsense again. At least you did it!

I tried doing this while taking a shot for every death! You know what? It doesn't loving matter! You think there is anything you can do with skill? Practice? Reflexes? Go gently caress yourself, Sonic 06 is ugly today.

EDIT: Lest I forget - somehow the third trial is even dumber how is this possible

Excuse me the third trial is the most difficult of the three. Love is a dangerous game.

I love how the loving guy won't comment on picking the princess either. Don't you judge me rear end in a top hat, I like those loving feathers she has everywhere. I've got a molting fetish.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Shoeless posted:

They're real and they're fantastic.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Baby characters worked for Yoshi's Island. He could actually pull off a dramatic narm-filled cry and make you feel it.

Also you forgot Photon the Hedgehog and his wave-particle duality diamonds.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

The only ones I don't recognize are "Robotnik Jr.", "Dingo" and "Breezie".

:golfclap:

Robotnik Jr. was Robotnik's nephew.

Dingo was a bad guy from the cartoon where Sonic has brothers and sisters in a Partridge Family-esque band.

Breezie was a robot Robotnik built to seduce Sonic so Robotnik could finally be able to kill him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Uurgh.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Whenever you talk to someone in Sonic 06 it feels like you're interrupting a really sweet dance party

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

judge reinhold posted:

I am about 96% sure that he was a robot built by Robotnik because he wanted a son but no one on the writing or character design team could stomach the thought of a woman touching him.

quote:

Breezie was a robot Robotnik built to seduce Sonic so Robotnik could finally be able to kill him.

And yet hedgehog sexbots were perfectly fine. She totally falls in love with Robotnik Jr. and they have blessedly offscreen robo-makeouts. Ah, the 90's!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

judge reinhold posted:

Dingo was a bad guy from the cartoon where Sonic has brothers and sisters in a Partridge Family-esque band.

This is terrible, and my life is worse because I know about it. Time to go drink until I can repair this problem.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Dingo looks like a bad guy from Crash Bandicoot.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Whenever you talk to someone in Sonic 06 it feels like you're interrupting a really sweet dance party
http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/3vRLNfU.gif&v=KD6PqT3LjQk&s=168

What type of bad was the Sonic anime? Was it bad Anime or bad Sonic stuff?

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Buttass posted:

I am about 96% sure that he was a robot built by Robotnik because he wanted a son but no one on the writing or character design team could stomach the thought of a woman touching him.

wait your saying that robotnick isnt the smexiest guy in animation:

becuase he is. lookatthatbutt.

It's bad children's anime, does that count? Because bad children's anime is the least bad anime there is. It's not nearly as offensive to the senses, at least. I'd rather be watching dumb stuff like Digimon, Pokemon, and Sonic X than pretty much any modern non-children's anime ever.

Anyway, the Sonic X anime is just "Sonic's troubles in anime land" followed by "abridged versions of SA1 and SA2" followed by "Evil Tree People" that want to conquer galaxies. I'm not joking about that last bit, though I've never seen it in video.

Byde fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 25, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It has the best worst dub ever. YouTube has some quality dub lines, if you search for them. I've remembered a lot of them to this day.

EDIT: Here, I'll save you some time.

Shinjobi posted:

The topic strayed to Sonic animes/cartoons, and I simply cannot miss the opportunity to play this clip. Bad dubs are good dubs, because they are bad.:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEwmiPSmto

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Shinjobi posted:

It has the best worst dub ever. YouTube has some quality dub lines, if you search for them. I've remembered a lot of them to this day.

EDIT: Here, I'll save you some time.

Yeah I thought he meant Sonic X, not the old OVA. Sonic X is just bad, bad, bad, but I don't really hate its mere existence. The OVA may be better in the "bad" sense, but I can't stand catgirls, just saying.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I meant Sonic X.
All I remember about it is the opening theme song (GOTTAGOFAST buttrock) and Anime Child's :cool:Cool Big Bro:cool: is a racecar cop or something.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
But the hands of one of the gentleman were laid on K.'s throat, while the other pushed the knife deep into his heart and twisted it there, twice. As his eyesight failed, K. saw the two gentlemen cheek by cheek, close in front of his face, watching the result. "Like a hedgehog!" he said, it was as if the shame of it should outlive him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

judge reinhold posted:

Fun fact: The character concept is being revived for a variant cover of the Archie comic that's coming in December. There's not really any info on her involvement in the story, but there ya go.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is that thing on the ace card?

Anyway, you got the wrong Kafka there; playing Sonic 06 is obviously In the Penal Colony.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
That's Honey/Candy, who is based off of a character from Fighting Vipers, and is a cut character from the Sonic Championship arcade fighting game (which was made by the team that creating Fighting Vipers). The XBLA/PSN port had her added back in.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
is there a sonic game that doesn't have at least one new character? this poo poo has been happening as early as sonic 2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

darealkooky posted:

is there a sonic game that doesn't have at least one new character? this poo poo has been happening as early as sonic 2

Sonic Advance?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Sonic 4s didn't have any new characters.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Technically Sonic 1 had a couple of new characters too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I forget who requested it but here is an attempt at S Ranking a stage normally. It was kind of weird to figure out how to play a level as someone who didn't know anything about the game. Here's the White Acropolis:

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6l1kMZmXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Gems are exciting. I can't wait to see what truly truly outrageous thing you get up to with them.

• Locked thread