Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

So, can you no longer sync with free Google accounts? I just picked up an Icon and I was able to connect my school Google account, but it keeps telling me that my account info is incorrect when I try to attach my personal account.

You couldn't do that on pre-8.1 for a while but the ability seems to have been restored in 8.1. No, I've no idea why either, although their suggested workaround (just divert all your mail to your NEW WONDERFUL OUTLOOK MAIL ACCOUNT STOP SAYING HOTMAIL ITS OUTLOOK ALRIGHT) maybe hints at at why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You couldn't do that on pre-8.1 for a while but the ability seems to have been restored in 8.1. No, I've no idea why either, although their suggested workaround (just divert all your mail to your NEW WONDERFUL OUTLOOK MAIL ACCOUNT STOP SAYING HOTMAIL ITS OUTLOOK ALRIGHT) maybe hints at at why.

They moved from EAS to imap/caldav/carddav, I haven't had any issues other than a weird delete issue because GMails label system is retarded.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

They moved from EAS to imap/caldav/carddav, I haven't had any issues other than a weird delete issue because GMails label system is retarded.

For me there was a period of about six months between the update before 8.1 (Black?) and 8.1 where I couldn't set "As items arrive" but at best a once-every-15-minutes sync for my Google account. 8.1 restored the "As items arrive" option (at the cost of crashing every loving 24 hours).

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I've still only got 8 until Verizon gets off their rear end and pushes the update, so thankfully it works on that, too.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Submitted a new Awful Forums Reader build for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. The changes I made on the last page. You should also be able to go back and forth between pages and not have it jump posts anymore.

EDIT: And it's in the store.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 24, 2014

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Drastic Actions posted:

Submitted a new Awful Forums Reader build for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. The changes I made on the last page. You should also be able to go back and forth between pages and not have it jump posts anymore.

Update looks great! I love the universal app btw, use them everyday. Thanks for the continued hard work :peanut:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah great job. It's easily my number 1 used app every day.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Checking it out now. I like it. Might actually use this one.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Just downloaded it and it seems pretty insistent that my username/password are incorrect no matter how many times I retype them; are there any characters that the app might not parse correctly were they to be found within my password?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Just downloaded it and it seems pretty insistent that my username/password are incorrect no matter how many times I retype them; are there any characters that the app might not parse correctly were they to be found within my password?

As far as I know, no. Unless you have weird Unicode characters.

The only other issue I know is if you use something like last pass, you need to type in the password manually and not copy and paste it.

EDIT: Just tried a password with one letter, one number, and all special characters and it worked. :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 24, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Chasiubao posted:

Anyone else get double notifications from the official Twitter app? Like in the notification center, I see every actual Twitter notification - say for a DM - twice :confused:

4x now with the new os update.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Dr Tran posted:

4x now with the new os update.

Next update it'll be 16 notifications per notification. Windows Phone is a socially integrated phone for your 32 notifications. It's important that you are aware of the new Action Center, which will show you all 64 notifications. You won't be able to miss all 128 notifications!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Factor Mystic posted:

Next update it'll be 16 notifications per notification. Windows Phone is a socially integrated phone for your 32 notifications. It's important that you are aware of the new Action Center, which will show you all 64 notifications. You won't be able to miss all 128 notifications!

And as you tap each one, you'll get a nice long "Resuming..." screen as a reminder that a world exists outside of your phone and that you should spend time in that world while you wait

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LentThem posted:

And as you tap each one, you'll get a nice long "Resuming..." screen as a reminder that a world exists outside of your phone and that you should spend time in that world while you wait

Do you or have you in the past used the lock screen beta?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

BonoMan posted:

Do you or have you in the past used the lock screen beta?

I haven't, but that's okay because I'm not talking about the Home screen. I'm talking about Skype, Wechat, several third-party music players, and some other apps. The "Resuming..." time is pathetic. Maybe it's just me though. Try these two scenarios out and let me know the result:

-Have Bing News open in the foreground and swipe over to the Headlines section (and let it load). Long-press the Back button to open Task Switcher, and then tap the Bing News window. You get to sit at a Resuming screen without ever leaving the app! It's great!

-Have Bing News open in the foreground and swipe over to the Headlines section (and let it load). Pull down the notification screen and use a shortcut to open the WiFi list, then Back out of the WiFi list into Bing News. RESUMING... (One time I didn't have the Resuming screen, maybe because I had lost WiFi so the app couldn't refresh the headlines)

Some apps are better about this than others. Stuff like email and Messaging, the Resuming is just a brief fading effect. The easy people to blame for this are the developers of those apps, but I've never seen this happen with any app in iOS 7.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
For the unsullied HTC 8X users out there, the developer preview has today updated to give us access to Cortana, folders etc. OS version is now 8.10.14176.243. I haven't used my 8X since July as my daily driver because the original 8.1 release wrecked my battery life. It would be interesting to see if it's been helped by today's update.

Cortana performs really well considering it's working off a chipset that's 2 years old. Here's hoping they port it to Android.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cortana performs really well considering it's working off a chipset that's 2 years old. Here's hoping they port it to Android.

Port Cortana to Android? I can't imagine them doing that, it's a major selling point for Windows Phone. Why give it to the competition?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ev posted:

Port Cortana to Android? I can't imagine them doing that, it's a major selling point for Windows Phone. Why give it to the competition?

They probably won't, but since WP's market share (unfortunately) continues to be just a footnote, they might just want to get their tech in front of as many people as possible, as with Office for iOS etc.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They probably won't, but since WP's market share (unfortunately) continues to be just a footnote, they might just want to get their tech in front of as many people as possible, as with Office for iOS etc.

You have to pay for any real functionality with office. And nobody will use a crooked Cortana.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Ev posted:

I think they've talked about Cortana on Android just because there are so many Androids out there and they want it to become a key part of desktop Windows. Any mobile/desktop Cortana syncing/meshing would be nearly pointless if only 3% of people had the right phone OS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To be honest, after trying cortana, I'd love to have it on my Nexus 7 since I use it a lot at home for fast couch-browsing.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think they've talked about Cortana on Android just because there are so many Androids out there and they want it to become a key part of desktop Windows. Any mobile/desktop Cortana syncing/meshing would be nearly pointless if only 3% of people had the right phone OS.

That's a fair point, it would make sense to provide some version of Cortana for other devices if/when it gets integrated into Windows 9 or whatever the hell they call it. I don't know a lot about Android and I'm not up to date on iOS either so I'm genuinely curious just how capable they'd be able to make it, i.e. could they make an Android version that could be accessed as easily as it is on Windows Phone by just holding the search button? I assume it's not possible to do that sort of thing on an iPhone with jailbreaking and using Activator to bypass Siri.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Isn't OK Google, the Android Cortana?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Isn't OK Google, the Android Cortana?

I think it is, which makes me wonder if MS would try to replace it completely with an Android version of Cortana. Didn't they say they were going to continue making that line of Nokia phones that run Android? Maybe I'm imagining that...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think I just got Cyan... (Lumia 920, AT&T). I got what I thought was the most recent developer's preview update, but on my notification page, it said Welcome to Lumia Cyan.

OS Version: 8.10.14176.243
Firmware Reision number: 3051.500009.1425.2001

Anyone else? Also, what's the arrow that juts out from the wifi symbol mean?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The opposite, I think the Nokia X line has been killed (still supported for some time though).

Jewmanji posted:

Anyone else? Also, what's the arrow that juts out from the wifi symbol mean?
It means you're using wi-fi. If the arrow was above the bars, you'd be using your data, so it's pretty useful, at least for me. Might be annoying if you're lucky enough to have a ton of data though. :)

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Huh, is that a Cyan or US only thing? Mine just has the WiFi symbol and the bars, no arrow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think that's a WP 8.1 thing. It shows a little outwards arrow on the cell network or wifi network status symbol when it's using that link for data.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I'm on the 8.1 Update dev preview, though still on Lumia Black rather than Cyan. :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, me too. Starting to wonder if I am ever getting Cyan. No arrows and just updated the dev preview yesterday.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My wife has had her iPhone (her first smartphone) for two years. The other night she said the most beautiful words: "I think I'm going to get a Windows Phone in November."

I let her play with mine a bit to check it out and she really dug it.

"I really like this, I can't wait to get one" :neckbeard:
"...but can I turn off Cortana? She freaks me out." :stonk:

Oh, well. Baby steps.

FAKE EDIT: I finally got around to trying out some app development. I'm working on a simple tip calculator just to get my feet wet. Sadly, the computer I'm using only has Windows 7, and I can only code for WP7.8. I just want to express my disappointment that you can't make a slider increment or tick in anything less than WP8.1. What the blue hell?

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 26, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

My wife has had her iPhone (her first smartphone) for two years. The other night she said the most beautiful words: "I think I'm going to get a Windows Phone in November."

I let her play with mine a bit to check it out and she really dug it.

"I really like this, I can't wait to get one" :neckbeard:
"...but can I turn off Cortana? She freaks me out." :stonk:

Oh, well. Baby steps.

FAKE EDIT: I finally got around to trying out some app development. I'm working on a simple tip calculator just to get my feet wet. Sadly, the computer I'm using only has Windows 7, and I can only code for WP7.8. I just want to express my disappointment that you can't make a slider increment or tick in anything less than WP8.1. What the blue hell?

Does she understand the comparative dearth of apps on Windows Phone? That's always been the biggest stumbling block with people I've known. They like the interface and basic functionality, but within a week they're asking where this or that app is. Not to mention the salt in the wound every time a commercial comes on with only the AppStore and Play Store logos.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The opposite, I think the Nokia X line has been killed (still supported for some time though).

It means you're using wi-fi. If the arrow was above the bars, you'd be using your data, so it's pretty useful, at least for me. Might be annoying if you're lucky enough to have a ton of data though. :)

Just googled it and you're absolutely right, they killed it back in July. I guess I got confused because they did release the X2 about a month before that.

Also, even though I have unlimited data I kinda like the arrows because this past month I got a text from ATT saying that I was close to hitting 5 GB of data and subsequently being throttled so I paid a little more attention to whether I was using WiFi or not. Though at the end of the billing cycle I had definitely gone past 5 GB and never noticed a difference in speed over LTE, but I still think the arrows are kinda cool.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Do the built in Nokia maps do public transit? Or do I need to get a specialty app for that?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
From the Awful iOS thread

FreshFeesh posted:

Had a pie in the sky kind of idea (that I wish the forums had); what if, just like highlighting your own username and quoted text, as well as thread starter, it also highlights people in your Buddy List?

I know the OP highlight is a forums feature, and you grab the logged-in user name from the account, but could there be a good way to pull the Buddy List, such as when Bookmarks refresh?

Is this something you guys would want for our Awful app? It should not be that hard to do. I could also show the buddy list and let you directly PM them, as you can on the forums.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Anonononomous posted:

Do the built in Nokia maps do public transit? Or do I need to get a specialty app for that?

Nokia makes an app called HERE Transit. It works pretty well.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

If you live in any major city there will be an app that it is better then Here Transit. Although Here's interface is pretty nifty.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

If you live in any major city there will be an app that it is better then Here Transit. Although Here's interface is pretty nifty.

This is not true for Boston. There isn't a single good app for checking bus times/train times in Boston, not one.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

monster on a stick posted:

Nokia makes an app called HERE Transit. It works pretty well.

I thought they were integrated? I know when I'm looking something up on Maps, I can pick the method of transport (car, bus, walk) and if I pick the public transit option it lists upcoming times for the metro / bus I want without having to go to a different app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiftInducer
Feb 21, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I thought they were integrated? I know when I'm looking something up on Maps, I can pick the method of transport (car, bus, walk) and if I pick the public transit option it lists upcoming times for the metro / bus I want without having to go to a different app.

It works a bit like that. When I search a place on Here Maps, I get car, walking and one 'best' public transit option, which has a 'get more routes' option that takes you to the more detailed Here Transit app. After using both the inbuilt Maps and Here Transit, I much prefer the dedicated Nokia app. I just wish it had Cortana integration.