Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I'm having a weird experience with Vyvanse. It seems to wear off quite a bit faster than Adderall (around 4pm if I take it when I get up), and leave me completely exhausted and 'out of it' when it does. I work evenings, so this is really screwing me up. I thought that Vyvanse was supposed to last longer, but has anybody else noticed this? I didn't have any side effects at all on either medication except this ridiculous afternoon tiredness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

TheBigBad posted:

Ask a question- How do we diagnose ADHD? Do I need a referral?

I went to a psychiatrist with no referral (and no general doctor period) and told him I think I had adhd. He would have wrote me a script right then but I had to wait a month to pass a drug test.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

1. :birddrugs: is an actual thing.

:birddrugs: :hf: :catdrugs:

2. For the genetic testing to test how ADHD drugs react with individuals, how much does it cost? And, does insurance usually cover it? I may bounce it off of my doc as an option, considering my history with drugs being all cattywumpus with me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

uG posted:

I went to a psychiatrist with no referral (and no general doctor period) and told him I think I had adhd. He would have wrote me a script right then but I had to wait a month to pass a drug test.

This is why I'm not big fan of Dr. Feelgoods in general.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Qu Appelle posted:

2. For the genetic testing to test how ADHD drugs react with individuals, how much does it cost? And, does insurance usually cover it? I may bounce it off of my doc as an option, considering my history with drugs being all cattywumpus with me.

poo poo I thought it was all "try this poo poo until you don't suck at life". Need me summa that testing.

I'm imagining a wacky scenario where it's somehow administered like an allergy test.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Qu Appelle posted:

1. :birddrugs: is an actual thing.

:birddrugs: :hf: :catdrugs:

http://assurexhealth.com/

Its called genesight ADHD. There are some insurance companies that do cover it. So call your insurance, and search for a genetic councilor that uses them. Good luck.

More like CSI. Cheek swab, lab, 36 hours you get a report.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone have a good experience with the non-stimulant medications? I responded horribly to all of the stimulant medications.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

I'm having a weird experience with Vyvanse. It seems to wear off quite a bit faster than Adderall (around 4pm if I take it when I get up), and leave me completely exhausted and 'out of it' when it does. I work evenings, so this is really screwing me up. I thought that Vyvanse was supposed to last longer, but has anybody else noticed this? I didn't have any side effects at all on either medication except this ridiculous afternoon tiredness.

My son had this reaction to it. His doc tried upping the dose at first, then tacking on low dose Ritalin to the afternoon. He was basically a chimp until almost lunch though, so we switched the pm dose to am and held off the Vyvanse until right before school.

Unfortunately, my husband took over the morning routine because of my school schedule and kept forgetting one pill or the other then tried just giving him both at once. It was not very effective compared to the timing method (our focus was just to keep his poo poo together from 8am to 4pm) so we tried Concerta which turned the boy into a zen zombie at the lowest available dosage.

He is trying Adderall now. We'll see.

Anyone have any luck with diet modification and symptom control? Our doc is all about the insulin regulation. Not sure how that will translate to feeding a picky eight year old.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Helpimscared posted:

Anyone have a good experience with the non-stimulant medications? I responded horribly to all of the stimulant medications.

Click the ? under my name; I have posted extensively in this thread about Strattera.

Never done Bupropion/Wellbutrin though, gotta find someone else for that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Xibanya posted:

Never done Bupropion/Wellbutrin though, gotta find someone else for that.

It's loving miserable.
Everyone I talked to has said it made them unbelievably tired and antisocial, but around the third month or so on 300-400mg, it's supposed to get better and be pretty effective at leveling you out. My first month was all migraines, dizziness, insomnia and depression, now I'm on month two and it's still not great, but no more migraines, dizziness or depression for the most part. It does also seem to be making the higher doses of adderall last longer though, so maybe it's finally doing its job and not just making it so I sleep and eat even less than amphetamines let me do in the first place. A lot of goons seemed to have had pretty negative reactions too, but it obviously helps some people if it's so commonly prescribed

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Whoa. I've had an amazing response to Wellbutrin (no depression, no noticeable side effects). But I only take 150mg XR.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BarbarousBertha posted:

Unfortunately, my husband took over the morning routine because of my school schedule and kept forgetting one pill or the other then tried just giving him both at once.
Get your husband evaluated for ADD. It runs in families and this is a classic symptom.

quote:

Anyone have any luck with diet modification and symptom control? Our doc is all about the insulin regulation. Not sure how that will translate to feeding a picky eight year old.
Avoid junk food and artificial colors (that orange dye so popular in mac and cheese and cheetos especially). Cut down on the simple carbs (white bread, pasta). Make sure he's getting enough sleep for his age and keep his bedtime/waking time static even through weekends and holidays. Schedule is key. Also make sure he's getting enough exercise. Put him on a soccer league or swim team/lessons something where he's going to be constantly moving. It'll help regulate his mood and make him tired enough to fall asleep at night. Should be at least an hour a day. Mornings would be ideal but haha yeah we both know that's not happening unless one of you is an avid jogger/bicyclist or something and already goes in the morning.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Helpimscared posted:

Primary innatentive type here. I've been taking Stratera for about a month now after being switched to that because the stims were spiking my blood pressure dangerously. It's a lot milder than Ritalin or Adderal, but it does seem to work. Moment to moment, I still feel distractible and I still forget things, which is different from stims where you actually feel yourself getting more productive. But I'm actually getting poo poo done anyway. Actually, I seem to have been MORE productive this month than I was when I was taking Ritalin, and I did one of those self-assesment questionnaires with my psych and it actually looks like the innatentive symptoms were slightly less acute on Stratera.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Strattera is very subtle but if I ever have a less demanding job and it goes generic I may well switch back to it. Even with the nausea. It never gave me depression. I think it gets unfairly criticized, to be honest.

Well there was another downside. It really blunted my rolls. I rolled two Fridays ago, my first roll since quitting Strattera in July (hadn't rolled since...February?) and at the same dose as before it was loving intense.

And thanks to taking Adderall I had my special mouth guard for when it was time to go to bed!

Strattera doesn't do anything to serotonin (it's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor instead of typical antidepressants) so I have no idea why that is. I was also able to do shrooms on Strattera without issue so who knows. I'd love to ask a doctor why but...

Actually yeah let's talk about ADHD and recreational drugs. I used to be both anxious and a thrill-seeker, which to a layperson seems like a paradox but in hindsight is classic ADHD. My thrill-seeking ways definitely led me to seek out drugs I'd never tried before just for the experience. I never mention this to my psychiatrist though because I bet she would think I was trying to abuse Adderall and never prescribe it. On the contrary I have zero interest in stimulants recreationally any more. (Molly excepted as it's not "just" a stimulant and I don't do it more than twice a year anyhow.) the drugs are a symptom of the underlying executive function disorder and yet if people disclose their use they may not get the help they need leading to self-medication. Mental health in this country is balls.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My anxiety didn't fully present itself until I had a 56 hour speed binge that ended with me passing out in my AP macroeconomics class :v:. I could never actually tell that to my doctors, or much of my history, since I'd look like I was trying to score drugs...

gently caress, drug use is even more stigmatized than mental illness, even within the medical community. I told my old GP that I smoked weed a few times a month during a physical and a couple weeks later I got a letter from his office for a drug rehab program. He's not my doctor anymore. Even my dental surgeon was extremely reluctant to give me a higher dose of pain killer after removing a dime sized chunk of my jaw bone and 5mg of hydrocodone wasn't even making a dent in the pain. Finding an open minded doctor is very difficult, especially one within your insurance. It's a shame, especially since habitual drug use can be a warning sign of mental illness and can definitely cause it, but what are you going to do?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's pretty well documented that untreated ADHD significantly increases the likelihood of substance abuse, and that prescribing stimulant medication significantly reduces the risk. Most psychiatrists probably won't respond as poorly to that as you think. Particularly since Vyvanse and Strattera offer treatment options with limited abuse potential.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Oracle posted:

Avoid junk food and artificial colors (that orange dye so popular in mac and cheese and cheetos especially). Cut down on the simple carbs (white bread, pasta).

There is no link between food dyes or additives and Adhd. None. Almost every single study is some bullshit survey from moms.

Clean eating helps everyone, but if anything the kid should be eating a lot of carbs ESPECIALLY if you are advocating putting him in sports. What the gently caress? You don't want the kid under eating on stimulants then running off to go swimming for a few hours. They'll end up like half my adhd friends where in adulthood they ended up getting eating disorders, medical problems and had growth problems because of malnutrition in childhood.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

There is no link between food dyes or additives and Adhd. None. Almost every single study is some bullshit survey from moms.

Clean eating helps everyone, but if anything the kid should be eating a lot of carbs ESPECIALLY if you are advocating putting him in sports. What the gently caress? You don't want the kid under eating on stimulants then running off to go swimming for a few hours. They'll end up like half my adhd friends where in adulthood they ended up getting eating disorders, medical problems and had growth problems because of malnutrition in childhood.

Plus the fact that bread and pasta are complex carbs. Simple carbs means sugar.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Plus the fact that bread and pasta are complex carbs. Simple carbs means sugar.

Even then, kids should be getting some sort of sugar in their diets. It's not poison, it's just the matter of how much you eat.

BarbarousBertha posted:

If your kid has done a blood test or two at the doc and they said his blood sugar is fine then there's not much regulating you can do. The only thing I've ever seen in all my research is that adhd kids might be lower in stuff like magnesium or essential vitamins, but even then it's a generic thing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, but she asked for help with symptom control, not curing her kid via diet. I never said food dyes or additives caused ADHD. I said avoiding junk helped with symptoms, and mentioned orange dye specifically because the bullshit double-blind placebo-controlled mom survey from The Lancet said 'yeah its a thing.'

quote:

I didn't say 'don't eat a lot of carbs.' I said avoid simple carbs. White bread and pasta tend to get burned through faster than their brown or whole wheat equivalents and most white bread in this country has a lot of unnecessary sugar to boot. And no, sugar is not the devil but kids in America eat and drink way too loving much of it and your blood sugar yoyoing can cause mood swings which contribute to misbehavior. She said her doctor mentioned watching the kids insulin so obviously its a concern to somebody.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oracle posted:

I didn't say 'don't eat a lot of carbs.' I said avoid simple carbs. White bread and pasta tend to get burned through faster than their brown or whole wheat equivalents and most white bread in this country has a lot of unnecessary sugar to boot. And no, sugar is not the devil but kids in America eat and drink way too loving much of it and your blood sugar yoyoing can cause mood swings which contribute to misbehavior. She said her doctor mentioned watching the kids insulin so obviously its a concern to somebody.

Whole wheat bread and pasta are preferred to their white counterparts because of their fiber content and micronutrients, not because they get 'burned through faster'.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 21, 2014

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Oracle posted:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, but she asked for help with symptom control, not curing her kid via diet. I never said food dyes or additives caused ADHD. I said avoiding junk helped with symptoms, and mentioned orange dye specifically because the bullshit double-blind placebo-controlled mom survey from The Lancet said 'yeah its a thing.'

Is that the 2007 Lancet study where even the authors said that it was a very small subset of the population that might be affected by it and there were no real conclusive results? The one where they said they were testing for food colouring but were also putting sodium benzoate in the drinks as well without testing for that factor?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2009/June/Diet-and-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder

"Simple Carbs" is not white bread and pasta. Simple carbs are sugars. Complex carbs is everything else including white and brown bread, lentils, oatmeal and sweet potatoes - most of the time it's starches (which are complex sugars!). If the kid is doing endurance related sports like long distance running or swimming they're going to have to eat a poo poo load of carbs to prevent growth and weight problems.

If the kid has been tested and doesn't have diabetes there's absolutely no reason to be watching for insulin. Eating smaller and more frequent balanced meals is really the only way to "regulate" insulin if you're not diabetic.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

If the kid has been tested and doesn't have diabetes there's absolutely no reason to be watching for insulin. Eating smaller and more frequent balanced meals is really the only way to "regulate" insulin if you're not diabetic.

The doctor's concern is not related to diabetes or pre-diabetes but simply to trying a low glycemic index diet as an approach to removing blood sugar peaks and valleys as a mood variable.

In my son's specific case medication took away his appetite to such a degree his growth plateaued, and we went from a healthy, balanced, "whole-grains plus meats and veggies" sort of diet to "Jesus Christ who cares if it's Karo syrup and tallow anything to put calories in his stomach" sort of diet.

I was real loving tired when I wrote my initial post, so I am sorry if I was too vague (or straight-up incoherent).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: whoops wrong thread

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well gently caress me, now I know what meth-heads must feel like. I've been awake for nearly thirty hours now for two days in a row and I am not even yawning. After I finally zonked out last night I slept for 13 hours straight. This is going to take some getting used to.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well gently caress me, now I know what meth-heads must feel like. I've been awake for nearly thirty hours now for two days in a row and I am not even yawning. After I finally zonked out last night I slept for 13 hours straight. This is going to take some getting used to.

Ritalin did that to you? It is possible you had an adverse reaction. If it keeps doing that after a week of use you may want to talk to the doc about a lower dose or what you are experiencing...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Cardiovorax posted:

Yo dogg my meds never did that to me even at the start - you should see your doc about trying something else.

Oh yeah and weed is good if your meds are keeping you up. No lie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Eh, I've always had problems sleeping and I've only been on the stuff for a few days, I'll give it some time and see how I adjust. I haven't had any other side effects whatsoever until now, which is pretty lucky considering all the weird things the stuff can do to you, so I'd like to at least give it a try.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Cardiovorax posted:

Eh, I've always had problems sleeping and I've only been on the stuff for a few days, I'll give it some time and see how I adjust. I haven't had any other side effects whatsoever until now, which is pretty lucky considering all the weird things the stuff can do to you, so I'd like to at least give it a try.

Does your doc know you have trouble sleeping? Sounds like you shouldn't be on a stimulant...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, sure, he gives me some Zopiclone every so often. I don't really like it a lot, though, I get the "nasty metallic taste in the back of the throat" side effect rather badly.

I think it'll go away in the long run, though. I get a lot less of that thing where... oh, well, you all know what it's like. ADHS brain, when you just can't stop thinking long enough to really come to rest. I figure it'll taper off with habituation.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw a neuropsychologist for an evaluation and ran through an IVA+Plus test, I just glanced at the results when it was done and the examiner said I did 'pretty good'. I don't remember the specifics, some of the quotients were in the 90s and one I think was like 83. Is it normalized for say 100 is normal +/-? I don't go back for another week but I want to know what it means right now damnit.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

OssiansFolly posted:

Does your doc know you have trouble sleeping? Sounds like you shouldn't be on a stimulant...

Stimulants would be nearly useless for treating ADHD if they weren't given to people with sleep disorders. They go together more often than not. And it's not unusual for the stimulants to actually help with insomnia in people who have ADHD.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
One of the most noticeable impacts Adderall XR has on me is that I'm able to wake up and fall asleep at more normal times.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Small doses of caffeine, amphetamine, or methylphenidate all work as well as sublingual melatonin for me when it comes to inducing sleep. Unfortunately, and there are complicating factors here for me beyond ADHD, stimulants have a way of increasing sleep fragmentation for me, and undeniably worsen my sleep QUALITY in spite of making it easier to fall asleep (and back asleep over and over again).

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
went without ritalin for like 2 weeks, let me tell you about all the loving food i ate holy poo poo i ate a lot of loving food and like a billion meals a day and i am hella fat now. enjoying the low tolerance now and a nice cup off tea its so loving nice

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
holy poo poo i forgot ritalin makes me so loving horny

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

I have a theory that i didnt eat enough as a kid and that made me develop adhd somehow

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

I have a theory that i didnt eat enough as a kid and that made me develop adhd somehow
I wish. I ate enough for two as a kid and still didn't get away with it.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Can Intuniv cause bad dreams? I can't find anywhere listing it as a side effect, but having been on Intuniv for about 3 weeks now, I've been having vivid bad dreams that are increasingly strange. For example, last night I dreamt that I'd accidentally eaten a friend's unborn baby somehow. In the dream, this was caught on tape and everyone else knew about it but I somehow didn't find out until months later. A few days before, the dream was about being continually trapped in a series of earthquakes.

I've also been more irritable the past few weeks. Is this more likely to be a delayed side effect of the Vyvanse (which I've been taking since June) or the Intuniv?

It's too bad I can't just get Vyvanse with the same release mechanism that Concerta had, that would pretty much be ideal. When I asked my doctor about this, she said that there was no similar release mechanism available for lisdexamphetamine or dexamphetamine, and asked if I wanted to go back on Concerta. :(

miryei fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
While it's not guaifenesin, clonidine seems to work much the same way. And it appears the dosing for sleep should be different than for during the day for adhd:

quote:

Low-dose
clonidine significantly increased the amount of REM
sleep and decreased the
amount of non-REM (NREM) sleep during the second one-
third of the drug nights
compared to the corresponding hours of baseline night
recordings. In contrast,
medium-dose clonidine significantly decreased REM and
increased NREM on drug nights compared to baseline nights in the entire night.
The opposite actions of
low and medium doses of clonidine on NREM-REM
proportion may indicate that
low-dose clonidine mainly affects the alpha-2-receptors
on locus coeruleus-NE
neurons presynaptically, reducing the release of NE,
whereas medium-dose
clonidine acts more post-synaptically.