Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I could see it working ok for consoles, but on PC where you have full control over your hardware, it's pointless unless you can only afford a totally god awful box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Console manufacturers can't control the quality of your internet connection.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mod sassinator posted:

I remember John Carmack talking about how cloud streaming and services like OnLive were going to be huge a few years ago. It honestly made me think a little less of him that he genuinely believed it to be a worthwhile thing.

I don't agree. Cloud technology is definitely becoming more feasible and more ubiquitous, although obviously not with gaming, and of course digital distribution has been commonplace in gaming for several years now. To try to combine the two isn't really that outlandish of an idea.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, hey...hey.

Go gently caress yourself.

Welcome to hell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nintendo Kid posted:

Welcome to hell.

It's the year 2014 for crying out loud:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I tried out Onlive when I had a lovely computer and thought it was pretty neat, but once you have a good computer, why not just get the games yourself?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:barf:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Onlive did solve the age old question of "how do we rent pc games" though, since you can get a timed trial of anything they offered, and you could buy games for a day for like $5.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's customized, you know! If you don't want Doom to look like the genetically defective bastard son of Quake II and an amateur origami contest you can just disable it. :smug:

(The Duke Nukem HRP also looks terrible and breaks a lot of custom maps, don't use it)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 25, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
OnLive's primary problem, and that of all similar services, is that the servers that run the games have got to be very close, physically and network-wise, to the user to work well at all. You get just a smidgen too far out and suddenly the response times just don't work for playing anything needing fast action - and the games left playable are ones that could probably run on even a slow computer natively just fine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"MMO" is usually followed by "RPG" for a reason.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's so wrong it's hilarious. Truly the worst of both worlds. (also the zombieman should take some Ex-Lax judging from that look on his face)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Guys is this what that Nexon Counterstrike thing is like

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some great "Stupid Newbie" avatar replacement material

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is this Brutal Doom?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pretty sure it's Blake Stone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Brutal Blake Stone:

Cut off an enemy soldier's fingers, one-by-one, until he reveals Dr. Goldfire's nefarious plans--don't believe him any way, so you turn your laser pistol on its lowest setting and slowly cook his brain through his skull.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Brutal Pong:

The ball is a real picture of a torn out eyeball and the dev is a Mussolini fanboy.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Huh. So if you replace ugly pixels with ugly cubes the end result is shitter to the power of 3.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Scorched Earth needs a brutal version.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I played some more of the CSN zombies yesterday, it's alright (It plays exactly like HL/CS so I'm not gonna pretend I'm not being generous because I grew up on those games) but jesus some of the levels drag on for far too long. The zombie wave modes have rounds that last 3 minutes each...and there's 50 of them. It's all set in a little square. I legitimately don't understand how you could be willing to run around a box room for about 2 hours circle strafing and pressing fire. There is a poo poo ton of maps and gamemodes though...if you're a HL engine fanboy you might as well give it a go (just treat it like a crazy modded copy of CS basically)

There is a crazy amount of guns...most of the weapon models and stuff are fairly poor even for a HL engine game. I did unlock an M2 browning though which can set up as a portable turret, which was pretty neat.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

Guys is this what that Nexon Counterstrike thing is like

I can't stand how the lady just slides into the the screen, and the embarrassed gunman just snaps into his embarrassed pose.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

Huh. So if you replace ugly pixels with ugly cubes the end result is shitter to the power of 3.

It has ever been thus. Early 3d models looked a lot worse than the sprites they replaced, with the exception of a few games that let the technical limitations guide the art style like Descent.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I remember John Carmack talking about how butt streaming and services like OnLive were going to be huge a few years ago. It honestly made me think a little less of him that he genuinely believed it to be a worthwhile thing.

Honestly the only thing preventing OnLive, et. al from becoming popular is the lack of bandwidth. Steaming movies, TV, and music is already incredibly popular, so it follows that games will go down that path as well. The problem is simply one of bandwidth and infrastructure, which will fix itself in the coming years.

"Always Online" is a pain in the rear end now because despite the ubiquity of computers and the Internet, connectivity has not reached that level of ubiquity. In ten years maybe? I know for certain that at some point in the future people will look at the SimCity 2013 debacle and get confused that "always online DRM" was even an issue of contention.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I live in Australia and I've never been able to use any of these cloud streaming game things, ever, because nobody's willing to spend the time and money to set up a datacenter for such a comparatively small population (to say nothing of download caps being commonplace). I doubt that's going to change all that much over the next decade, honestly.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Oh my god that loving rifle

Has there ever been a 'High Res' mod for a 2.5 game that didn't look like total rear end?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No, because higher-fidelity assets clash with the level design of 2.5D FPS games and look visibly out of place.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Brutal Blake Stone:

Cut off an enemy soldier's fingers, one-by-one, until he reveals Dr. Goldfire's nefarious plans--don't believe him any way, so you turn your laser pistol on its lowest setting and slowly cook his brain through his skull.

It's not brutal unless there's a closeup of his liquefied brain matter dribbling out of his empty eye sockets.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't stand how the lady just slides into the the screen, and the embarrassed gunman just snaps into his embarrassed pose.

Anime soldiers apparently have raspberry jam for blood.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

Has there ever been a 'High Res' mod for a 2.5 game that didn't look like total rear end?

Yes, but the second you try and add models it all goes to poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hi-res textures look lovely too, they look like wallpaper with the simple geometry and are often not a perfect match for the style of the textures they replace.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Honestly the only thing preventing OnLive, et. al from becoming popular is the lack of bandwidth. Steaming movies, TV, and music is already incredibly popular, so it follows that games will go down that path as well. The problem is simply one of bandwidth and infrastructure, which will fix itself in the coming years.

It's nothing to do with bandwidth, and all to do with latency. You don't need much data per second to play acceptably, but even small spikes in latency prevent the game from being playable.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Haha this is incredible.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
giving DukeHard a break. Maps are incredible but I didn't really enjoy fighting Battlelords literally every level.

Someone should mod Archviles and Revenants into Duke3d to really get things poppin'

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Hi-res textures look lovely too, they look like wallpaper with the simple geometry and are often not a perfect match for the style of the textures they replace.

Counterpoint: the high-res texture pack for the Marathon trilogy looks amazing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Counterpoint: the high-res texture pack for the Marathon trilogy looks amazing.

That one, and the Unreal/UT ones are two well done ones, but both of them had a lot of help from the official artists, and don't add/replace 3d models.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

this actually got me thinking: an "All Stars" arena FPS like Super Smash Bros, but for FPS games. Gordon Freeman, JC Denton, Duke Nukem, Doomguy, Quakeguy/Ranger, Bitterman, etc. all fighting to the death in arenas from their respective games.

Samsara + Reelism?

I'd play the hell out of that.

mod sassinator posted:

Scorched Earth needs a brutal version.

Says the guy who never played Worms. :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Brutal Pong:

The ball is a real picture of a torn out eyeball and the dev is a Mussolini fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtF2l147b4

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

M.Ciaster posted:

I like the Duke Nukem 3D HRP. But then I find looking up at flying enemies and them being skewed really disorienting, so getting rid of that is worth quite a bit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I just looked, they've "improved" some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't understand why convincing 3D models for Doom sprites are seemingly impossible to make. I mean, I get 3D modeling is a right pain in the rear end (having dabbled with it briefly, I can't say as I really understand how to do it properly myself), but it's like, the problems with those zombieman and Cyberdemon models are kind of self-evident, surely?