Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bottom Liner posted:

Nope, it's bent toward the curvature of my sitting leg, ever so slightly, not the kind of thing that would happen from a big impact. It surprised me earlier too when I took it out of the case and saw it. Here's a pic, not the best because I'm literally pooping and took it with my ipad, but you get the idea;

It's bad enough that putting it on a flat surface and pushing down on a corner raises the opposite corners off the table.

Oh no a barely perceivable defect in a 2 year old device.

RIP Apple

My 2 year old car has a few dents in it. loving Ford :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bunch of bent users itt if you ask me

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Bunch of bent users itt if you ask me

get bent

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Nope, it's bent toward the curvature of my sitting leg, ever so slightly, not the kind of thing that would happen from a big impact. It surprised me earlier too when I took it out of the case and saw it. Here's a pic, not the best because I'm literally pooping and took it with my ipad, but you get the idea;

It's bad enough that putting it on a flat surface and pushing down on a corner raises the opposite corners off the table.

Have you taken it in to check if it's from the battery recall? That's where a lot of the bending was reported--mine did that but closer to the center of the screen, popping the left-center screen out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh no a barely perceivable defect in a 2 year old device.

RIP Apple

My 2 year old car has a few dents in it. loving Ford :argh:

I never said anything bad, just that it was possible and probably much worse a problem in the new phones because they're so thin. I think the 5s are pretty sturdy and would have never noticed this if it weren't for bendghazi.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pllease tell me I'm not the only one who can't perceive any kind of curve in that pooping photo?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a 5S and I heard this morning that the 8.0.1 was released so I updated it at work. Seems like the loving update bricked my phone so I took it to the Apple store a couple hours ago. Before the genius even tried a software diagnostic, he noticed that my 5S was bent slightly (I never really noticed) and said it was covered under warranty. Walked out with a new phone. I'm guessing that doesn't help you much with a 2 year old 5, but I figure I'd just throw that out there.

Maybe some hope for the 6+ people too. I asked him if he was getting any people coming in the the 6+ and he said he doesn't pay attention to the news and hasn't heard of it happening yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Better pics

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can see that! :p

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does your phone typically lie vertically or horizontally in your pocket?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
We're going to be talking about bananaphones for the next 11 months aren't we :sigh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Does your phone typically lie vertically or horizontally in your pocket?

Vertically, screen towards leg in an InCase slider that's pretty thick on top and bottom.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

nebby posted:

i'm a huge apple whore but totally am worried they're losing it.

- the reveal stream was a total gently caress up
- the iphone 6 is too big. the plus is just bizarre. i literally do not want to upgrade my phone even though i can afford it. Reachability is hilarious, shows they are shoving square peg into a round hole.
- nobody wanted a loving U2 album, it was like two old dudes trying to force 'cool' on us
- the watch has potential feels like they are starting to enjoy the smell of their own farts too much. if they throw a $10k price tag on the gold one they have jumped the shark.

also I work in VR and Apple is probably going to fight VR tooth and nail because having a computer on your face probably goes against their design sensibilities. the problem is VR is going to be insanely awesome soon. samsung is about to smoke them with Gear VR.

I kind of agree. Coming out of WWDC, after seeing iOS 8 and Yosemite, I was thoroughly impressed by how Apple seemed to be executing on a unified vision. These past few weeks have been a real bummer. In addition to the points you listed, I'd add the iCloud hack, the fact that enabling iCloud drive basically breaks iOS-to-Mac synchronization until some undetermined time when Yosemite is released, the naked money grab that is a 16 Gb base model iPhone, whitewashing the camera bulge on the iPhone website, and the 8.0.1 debacle.

None of these issues, on their own, is evidence of shark jumping, but together they constitute a pretty lovely narrative. I can't really think of any more ther time Apple has made this many missteps over such a short period. This kind of inattention to detail isn't what I except from Apple.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webmeister posted:

We're going to be talking about bananaphones for the next 11 months aren't we :sigh:
IT'S A PHONE WITH A PEEL!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Now that stupid loving "Ring Ring Ring Bananaphone" song is stuck in my head.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Get a case, benders. :colbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

All this bending talk reminds me of this old gem. I don't suspect many of you here will be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9fD8JS_nw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

All this bending talk reminds me of this old gem. I don't suspect many of you here will be familiar with it.

While I'm not familiar with Hopesfall's material, one of the dudes from Hopesfall went on to form Of Sinking Ships, a pretty rad post-rock project. I have 2 Of Sinking Ships albums on my 6 :cool:

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

ShoogaSlim posted:

Given the drama this has caused http://youtu.be/gz_RstNtvIU might be the more relevant option...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

While I'm not familiar with Hopesfall's material, one of the dudes from Hopesfall went on to form Of Sinking Ships, a pretty rad post-rock project. I have 2 Of Sinking Ships albums on my 6 :cool:

I'll have to check them out. Hopesfall's EP "no wings to speak of" is one of the greatest collection of songs ever written.

Bungeyjump posted:

Given the drama this has caused http://youtu.be/gz_RstNtvIU might be the more relevant option...

Haha definitely relevant. Also happens to be one of my favorite songs ever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Proper bend test using 100 lb. force and four point bending rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-lEnPwzAw

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm glad to see an official pressure test like this but I'm curious as to how much force is applied when you sit down on something. Obviously not your entire body weight but I would imagine a decent amount.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok so the whole 8.0.1 dilemma made me restore before the "official" upgrade-downgrade fix was announced. Now my phone is acting rather strange and I think it is constantly filling up all available space with Photos from the old iPhoto.app picture merge function. :v:

I have never restored from zero fresh since the original iPhone so I think it might be a reasonable idea to start fresh, however there are some things I don’t want to lose e.g. my message history.
Apparently you can extract that form the old backup and import it to the backup of a fresh iPhone, restore that and end up with a "fresh" iPhone with the old message history.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/

I could also use this to selectively restore some app preferences. Is that generally a reasonable idea or will it just cause more problems than it is worth?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haggins posted:

I have a 5S and I heard this morning that the 8.0.1 was released so I updated it at work. Seems like the loving update bricked my phone so I took it to the Apple store a couple hours ago. Before the genius even tried a software diagnostic, he noticed that my 5S was bent slightly (I never really noticed) and said it was covered under warranty. Walked out with a new phone. I'm guessing that doesn't help you much with a 2 year old 5, but I figure I'd just throw that out there.

Maybe some hope for the 6+ people too. I asked him if he was getting any people coming in the the 6+ and he said he doesn't pay attention to the news and hasn't heard of it happening yet.

It's worth a shot, no matter how old your device is. I haven't owned any Apple products in the past 3 years or so, but when I did, I had an excellent experience with their customer service. I brought my second-hand, third generation iPod into an Apple store because the hard drive started clicking and it had trouble mounting in iTunes. I bought it via eBay, had no receipt, no packaging, just an iPod. It must have been at least a year out of the standard 1-year Applecare warranty, and they gave me a brand new iPod (granted, still a third gen) within a matter of minutes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I roadie'd with them for a few weeks once! I took pictures at shows. They used to tour with Norma Jean and Underoath a lot. This sounds really lovely now, sorry dudes.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Apple to replace bent iPhones

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Kobayashi posted:

iCloud hack

It's not a "hack" if your password is "123456", your wife's name or something of similar quality and then someone miraculously accesses your account, but that'll never become common knowledge.

Kobayashi posted:

what I except from Apple.

The stories of decline and impending doom are as old as the company. Whoever is the leader of anything gets 99% of the scrutiny and the news share.

Every single thing you and the person you quoted brought up is the kind of BS that applies to any person, company, movie or whatever if you dig deep enough. Apple is just under the magnifying glass.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

flavor posted:

It's not a "hack" if your password is "123456", your wife's name or something of similar quality and then someone miraculously accesses your account, but that'll never become common knowledge.
On one hand, I don't want an invasion of privacy of the celebrities who took nude snaps to continue. On the other hand, I would love to know what they considered suitable passwords for storages services for their pics in the nip.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so I deleted those annoying 3rd party keyboard apps because they don't work yet and re-added the iPhone English keyboard. problem is that my predictive panel has gone. I have switched predictive on in the settings but still no sign. any ideas?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy fuuuuuck, I ordered a 2.1A charger after hearing that the 6 supports fast charging like the iPad does and it just came in today. I'm charging it now and it's charging up at record speeds :stare:

This was $10 well spent!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully you got a good iPad charger instead :v:

iphone charger
http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

ipad charger
http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

compared with other chargers
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

I'd charge it with the original iphone charger just so the battery can be charged at a lower voltage. Or using a grounded ipad charger (using the 3 prong macbook charging extension cord).

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

89 posted:

My big draw to the iPhone 6+ is the camera and battery life. Is there really that big of a difference? The camera is the biggest selling point to me. I like the idea of a 5.5" screen, but everybody is so butt hurt about how big it is, it's making me think.

That, and iPhone 6's are way easier to find..

The battery life is pretty amazing - my 5 would die at the end of a long morning commute on cold days, the 6+ is around 70%.

Can't compare the 6+ to a 6, but it can handle challenging light well. Got this out of the stock camera app with auto-HDR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohit_saxena/15127870849/

Had my SLR and pro lens, but this was much easier. Not all pictures turn out like that, but I try a lot more with the 6+ camera since seeing that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

I don't think they should be announcing that Apple is replacing bent phones based on a chat with a single customer support agent. That seems really clickbaity.

Has anyone tried bending the phone back into shape?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So I guess "bricking" a phone or gadget now just means "x feature isn't working at the moment"? :jerkbag:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm crossposting this from YOSPOS because I feel I have made a major breakthrough in understanding what is going on with these bent phones, and where blame should lie:

Ive got my own thoughts on this. It seems that when everybody approaches the problem of 'how does sitting down bend a big phone' they think of the phone as being jammed fully in a pocket, with the pressure of their trousers against their luscious, curved meaty thigh bending the phone as seen in the photos.

I'm not so sure. I think that the problem is that the phone doesn't sit far enough down in their pocket because it is so big. I think it sticks out a bit and, when they sit down, it is being bent by the right angle formed by the user's leg and torso.

Observe the following images:

Note how the bend in each is the screen bending backwards. For the thigh curve to do this, it would require the phone to have been put into the pocket screen-outwards, which isn't the way I'd do it, subconsciously preferring to protect the screen with my body perhaps. I expect i'm not alone in feeling this way.

But the damage is consistent with my body-bend theory.

And, if the phones are sticking out of the pocket? That's misuse. You don't put something only partially in a pocket and expect it to remain unscathed.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I don't think they should be announcing that Apple is replacing bent phones based on a chat with a single customer support agent. That seems really clickbaity.

Has anyone tried bending the phone back into shape?
Yeah the guy who did the original bend-test video noted in the follow-up that he tried to bend it back and it cracked the screen.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Piquai Souban posted:

The battery life is pretty amazing - my 5 would die at the end of a long morning commute on cold days, the 6+ is around 70%.

Can't compare the 6+ to a 6, but it can handle challenging light well. Got this out of the stock camera app with auto-HDR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohit_saxena/15127870849/

Had my SLR and pro lens, but this was much easier. Not all pictures turn out like that, but I try a lot more with the 6+ camera since seeing that.

Sold. That picture is amazing!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

decypher posted:

I am not being dramatic or cliche when I say Steve would not have allowed this to happen.

Lol yes you are and yea you are.

I've said it before but I have a buddy who works HR for Apple and she said the worst part of her job is explaining to fanboy employees that they never met Steve Jobs and have no clue what he would or wouldn't want, especially compared to those that knew him and to shut up and do what you're told. Lol

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Nice double post dumbass.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 25, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I'm crossposting this from YOSPOS because I feel I have made a major breakthrough in understanding what is going on with these bent phones, and where blame should lie:

Ive got my own thoughts on this. It seems that when everybody approaches the problem of 'how does sitting down bend a big phone' they think of the phone as being jammed fully in a pocket, with the pressure of their trousers against their luscious, curved meaty thigh bending the phone as seen in the photos.

I'm not so sure. I think that the problem is that the phone doesn't sit far enough down in their pocket because it is so big. I think it sticks out a bit and, when they sit down, it is being bent by the right angle formed by the user's leg and torso.

Observe the following images:

Note how the bend in each is the screen bending backwards. For the thigh curve to do this, it would require the phone to have been put into the pocket screen-outwards, which isn't the way I'd do it, subconsciously preferring to protect the screen with my body perhaps. I expect i'm not alone in feeling this way.

But the damage is consistent with my body-bend theory.

And, if the phones are sticking out of the pocket? That's misuse. You don't put something only partially in a pocket and expect it to remain unscathed.

See my previous posts. You're way over-thinking this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

decypher posted:

I am not being dramatic or cliche when I say Steve would not have allowed this to happen.

Everyone post terrible things Steve allowed to happen: