Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Assuming that the second best scenario (in Waland-Yutani's eyes, anyway) does occur and the alien gets chest-birthed and all the crew gets murdered leaving Ash to happily fly the ship home, what is expected to happen to the xenomorph? Can they go into a hibernation periods or was it supposed to starve to death, and having a dead xenomorph is better than no xenomorph?

I don't think they know 100%, but they can deal with it however they want once the sealed ship lands at their private facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I also saw it as Burke is at his wits end and trying anything to get an alien. She is really not that smart. Its also obvious that Waland-Yutani is not that smart.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Alien is my favorite movie, but this loving derail about who knew what needs to stop.

All readily present on first viewing:
The company knew something about an alien in Alien 1, that's why Ash is added to the crew and why explicit orders exist regarding the retrieval of a life-form.
Nostromo is largely forgotten in Aliens, that's why none of the higher ups follow up on Ripley's briefing about an alien, it's why Burke sends the survey team to where Ripley said to find the original crashed ship (verify story and become very rich).

In both movies, the company views all crew as expendable. Why crew was left out of loop in Alien 1, why Burke was hesitent to nuke, and then subsequently attempts to protect (via facehugger infection) the aliens. Much better things to talk about in Alien movies than this bullshit.

Speaking of alien movies... In Alien Resurrection, the movie we can all agree should be forgotten, the military has decided to keep the aliens in metal cages. Keep in mind, the military is well aware of the prior incidents involving aliens, so it stands to reason they are aware of their acid blood. To repeat, they put multiple aliens in metal cages, knowing the aliens have acid inside of them. On paper, it makes the alien escape look cool (oh hey, they kill one of their own to melt through the floor!), but it really works against having any respect for the military dudes running the ship. They also should've been aware of the acid blood thing by cloning Ripley, but that's a whole other can of worms (suck sticking your hand inside a lady for surgery whose blood melts flesh) You could probably pick any scene from the movie and find 20 annoying things. I blame Joss Whedon, easiest outlet for my grief.

Seriously, gently caress that movie. gently caress it twice for being an Alien movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sulphix posted:

Alien is my favorite movie, but this loving derail about who knew what needs to stop.

All readily present on first viewing:
The company knew something about an alien in Alien 1, that's why Ash is added to the crew and why explicit orders exist regarding the retrieval of a life-form.
Nostromo is largely forgotten in Aliens, that's why none of the higher ups follow up on Ripley's briefing about an alien, it's why Burke sends the survey team to where Ripley said to find the original crashed ship (verify story and become very rich).

In both movies, the company views all crew as expendable. Why crew was left out of loop in Alien 1, why Burke was hesitent to nuke, and then subsequently attempts to protect (via facehugger infection) the aliens. Much better things to talk about in Alien movies than this bullshit.

Speaking of alien movies... In Alien Resurrection, the movie we can all agree should be forgotten, the military has decided to keep the aliens in metal cages. Keep in mind, the military is well aware of the prior incidents involving aliens, so it stands to reason they are aware of their acid blood. To repeat, they put multiple aliens in metal cages, knowing the aliens have acid inside of them. On paper, it makes the alien escape look cool (oh hey, they kill one of their own to melt through the floor!), but it really works against having any respect for the military dudes running the ship. They also should've been aware of the acid blood thing by cloning Ripley, but that's a whole other can of worms (suck sticking your hand inside a lady for surgery whose blood melts flesh) You could probably pick any scene from the movie and find 20 annoying things. I blame Joss Whedon, easiest outlet for my grief.

Seriously, gently caress that movie. gently caress it twice for being an Alien movie.

Those are legit irritations but I really liked the crew of the Betty who are also featured in Jeunet's City of Lost Children and Amelie.

I guess I'll side with you and say they took a loving badass cast and made a blah movie with it. The ending in particular was just stupid as hell.

It had its good parts though. But after you've seen it once you're just waiting for it to suuuuuuck.

I don't even know if Whedon is to blame or who did the story structure because how could you even know such a thing.

Aaaand Giger wasn't credited. I was trying to devil's advocate but nope. I say gently caress that movie.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

sulphix posted:

I apologize for my part in beginning the derail. Yes, Alien is a pretty god drat good movie that I enjoy. It is arguably one of the best horror movies ever made. I was just saying, Weyland-Yutani has made some dumb decisions and the entire franchise could have been dealt with and wrapped up in one movie by sending a qualified team of professionals to catch the xenomorph and return it to a research facility. Just sayin'.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I just reckoned it was a corporation caring more about doing it on the cheap than about doing it right, which is certainly unheard of among real-life businesses.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Mr. Belpit posted:

I just reckoned it was a corporation caring more about doing it on the cheap than about doing it right, which is certainly unheard of among real-life businesses.

Isn't Weyland-Yutani canonically what Wal-Mart becomes in the future? Because if so I'm surprised Ripley didn't have to fight the first Xenomorph with a shopping cart and a safety cutter.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of which, his plan to smuggle the Alines back was bonkers. He was trying to infect Ripley and Newt and then what? All the marines would notice the facehuggers and after they fall off Ripley has a while before she gets chest busted. Long enough to explain what happened but not long enough to get her back to Earth.

That's actually addressed in the movie. Weaver theorizes that Reiser would freeze them to bring them home for medical treatment, and since the marines would know about the infection Reiser would just wake up early, kill them in their sleep and tell everyone they didn't make it. If I'm remembering right, that's the final straw for them and they're seconds away from giving him a summary execution when all hell breaks loose (which is also why he tries to escape from them during the battle).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wild T posted:

That's actually addressed in the movie. Weaver theorizes that Reiser would freeze them to bring them home for medical treatment, and since the marines would know about the infection Reiser would just wake up early, kill them in their sleep and tell everyone they didn't make it. If I'm remembering right, that's the final straw for them and they're seconds away from giving him a summary execution when all hell breaks loose (which is also why he tries to escape from them during the battle).

Exactly right.

"All right, we waste him. No offense."

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Memento posted:

Exactly right.

"All right, we waste him. No offense."

Aaaand it just clicked for me that this line is referencing Paul Reiser hastily adding 'no offense' after talking down about Michael Beihn earlier in the movie. :haw:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Al this Alien talk is making me want to rewatch the complete series. Thank you thread.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Those are legit irritations but I really liked the crew of the Betty who are also featured in Jeunet's City of Lost Children and Amelie.

what

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The director of Alien: Resurrection is also the director of a film called City of Lost Children and many of the cast members were also in that. (And some in an earlier film called Delicatessen as well)

Juenet and Caro made amazing movies, not sure exactly how one of them directing an Alien movie managed to make such a crappy film.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

An Alien/Amelie crossover would be pretty amazing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This is going to be especially petty, but are most actresses afraid of bras? I always see nipples poking through shirts in movies in a setting that would generally be inappropriate to be bra-less. I know that there is no underwear in space and I wouldn't care if she went topless if it fit her character, but this is that one little thing that always makes me stop and say, "professional and/or athletic women generally wear bras to work or on first dates."
Maybe it's a conservative Midwest thing that isn't generally observed on the coasts, but it bugs me enough to post about it

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Posting from the west coast, chicks tend to wear bras over here too, pretty sure it's just a movie thing. Once you mentioned nipples, one scene popped immediately to my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCr3VETGjE

On the opposite spectrum, it really bugs me when people are having sex in a movie, and they are fully clothed. More of an issue with television, but still. Don't know a lot of people who only take their shirts off to gently caress. If you're going to throw a sex scene into your movie, loving commit to it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So yesterday I was the last person in the world to watch Skyfall. When Monneypenny tries to shoot Badguy while he's wrestling with Bond on top of the train, she misses and hits Bond instead. Never attempts a second shot, just watches Badguy ride away for several seconds while he just stands there, an easy target. She wasn't shooting a loving muzzle-loader, she could have taken many, many shots.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
But her doing poo poo would've interfered with the intro song!

Also, her "difficulties" in the field are a good reason to move her into the office, so whatever.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I was thinking that but it simply wouldn't work. If they have facehuggers on them I can't see the marines agreeing to bring the bodies with them while trying to fight their way out.

In the first movie, when they're trying to remove the facehugger from Kane, Parker repeatedly says "Why don't you guys just freeze him?" It's not too much of a stretch to figure that the SOP in situations where someone has an inoperable medical condition is to put them in cryo and get them back to a proper treatment facility.

In the cases of them sending blue collar uninformed nobodies to bring home an alien life form, the crew wasn't meant to survive the mission. They were meant to be expendable nobodies who wouldn't be missed.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Heres Hank posted:

It's not too much of a stretch to figure that the SOP in situations where someone has an inoperable medical condition is to put them in cryo and get them back to a proper treatment facility.

That would kinda break quarantine, though? I can't imagine even WY wants to endanger earth with Venusian ebola or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

That would kinda break quarantine, though? I can't imagine even WY wants to endanger earth with Venusian ebola or something.

They totally do, and don't give a poo poo about anything but weaponising the Aliens some how. Imagine being able to genetically engineer an Alien to the point where you can easily deal with them with a tailored nerve gas or whatever, and then sending them in to a facility where you want everyone dead with minimal property damage apart from some melted floors and having to clean out their nesting chambers. Wait for all the humans to die, then flood the place with Xeno-B-Gone and tidy up.

And of course, the government would want to look very, very seriously - probably with fire - at someone who was known infected or an actual live or dead Alien specimen, so the best scenario for them would be someone who was feeling fine, otherwise, but had a larval-stage Alien in their chest. If they were known infected, they'd go to the most secure quarantine facility possible and get treatment by dudes controlling robot arms, which is less good for WY, but I'm sure they could throw a little grease on some important palms and get their way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a kitten posted:

Juenet and Caro made amazing movies, not sure exactly how one of them directing an Alien movie managed to make such a crappy film.

Because neither of them is half as good individually as they were together.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Memento posted:

They totally do, and don't give a poo poo about anything but weaponising the Aliens some how. Imagine being able to genetically engineer an Alien to the point where you can easily deal with them with a tailored nerve gas or whatever, and then sending them in to a facility where you want everyone dead with minimal property damage apart from some melted floors and having to clean out their nesting chambers. Wait for all the humans to die, then flood the place with Xeno-B-Gone and tidy up.

And of course, the government would want to look very, very seriously - probably with fire - at someone who was known infected or an actual live or dead Alien specimen, so the best scenario for them would be someone who was feeling fine, otherwise, but had a larval-stage Alien in their chest. If they were known infected, they'd go to the most secure quarantine facility possible and get treatment by dudes controlling robot arms, which is less good for WY, but I'm sure they could throw a little grease on some important palms and get their way.

Seems like it would be easier to just nerve gas the place in the first place. Whatever you did the thing you released them into would be so hosed up you might as well have just nuked it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Seems like it would be easier to just nerve gas the place in the first place. Whatever you did the thing you released them into would be so hosed up you might as well have just nuked it.

They proposed 'rolling in a couple of canisters of cn-20' after they lost the first firefight but they had know way of knowing if something meant to kill people would kill bugs.

Now if it were Weyland-Monsanto they probably would have had a ready to spray solution at hand.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

The alien was never meant to be born before the Nostromo reached Earth. The idea was that one or more crew would be impregnated, then they would go into hypersleep before reaching the chestburster stage and taken straight to a secure facility once they got back to Earth - basically Burke's plan in the second movie. This plan was only derailed because they couldn't foresee that Kane would be so hungry that he'd want to eat before going into hypersleep.

If the alien did get loose on the ship, though, Ash had a secondary plan to kill all the crew then pilot the ship home by himself. He would be perfectly safe in doing this; the alien would ignore him because he's an android. You can see this in what happens to the crew. First Ash suggests spreading out to find the creature with weapons he knows to be inadequate, getting Brett killed; then he convinces Dallas to track it into the air ducts by telling Dallas it's an animal and hence afraid of fire when he knows full well it isn't either. Ash is deliberately killing off the male crew members because he knows he can overpower both the women at the same time. This plan only fails because Ripley discovers the Special Order before Ash can make a plan to kill Parker.

Do aliens ignore adroids though? The Queen ripped Bishop in half at the end of Aliens.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Do aliens ignore adroids though? The Queen ripped Bishop in half at the end of Aliens.

Queens display some level of intelligence. The drones, however, are basically just out to hop onto an organic lifeform and bring them home to be stuffed full of bug.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Plausible deniability.

"What, those guys? Never heard of them. But maybe this special silicon-based-lifeform nerve gas will work on them, dunno why we made that, those wacky inorganic chemists in R&D gotta justify their budgets I guess..."

To me, the main problem with using Aliens as a weapons technology means that you'll end up getting Predators turning up to hunt them as trophies.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

This is going to be especially petty, but are most actresses afraid of bras?

I bet you anything it has far, far more to do with directors and producers and possibly costume designers than it does actress's preferences.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

a kitten posted:

Seventh Arrow posted:

An Alien/Amelie crossover would be pretty amazing.

Actually, if I remember right Alien IV and Amelie are not completely unconnected. What happened was that Juenet wanted to make Amelie for a very long time, but didn't have the funds to do it. He had no interest in Alien IV at all, but realised that the paycheck would probably be good enough to make Amelie. So if you're wondering why someone of his caliber made such a drag, it's basically because it was just a lovely summer job that paid for his real passion. (Not that I'm really complaining...the whole Alien-business had already gone off the rails with part 3, and the world is a better place for having Amelie in it.)

Still doesn't excuse it, though; Coppola just wanted money for Apocalypse Now when he took on the job to film some trashy novel, but ended up making The Godfather. Juenet does the same, and we end up with Alien: Resurrection...:sigh:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sulphix posted:

Speaking of alien movies... In Alien Resurrection, the movie we can all agree should be forgotten, the military has decided to keep the aliens in metal cages. Keep in mind, the military is well aware of the prior incidents involving aliens, so it stands to reason they are aware of their acid blood. To repeat, they put multiple aliens in metal cages, knowing the aliens have acid inside of them. On paper, it makes the alien escape look cool (oh hey, they kill one of their own to melt through the floor!), but it really works against having any respect for the military dudes running the ship.

Considering how they seemed to be trying to train them like dogs, I think it was more of a matter of "We know their blood is acidic and eats through metal, but they (probably) don't" and "What are the chances that they'll kill one of their own to escape", plus the alien cells seemed to be at least partially separate from the actual base. The scientists had that booth thing that slid in front of the cells. It's dumb, and the movie should never have been made, but it looks like at least the set designer put some work into "How would I build something to keep an alien away from me and still be able to study it".

As for irritating things, leftover side plot threads. Nothing like watching a movie that has random scenes that only seem to add on to the movie length without adding anything to the movie itself, only for it to turn out that they had a point originally, but was lost somewhere along the line. Perfect example is Frozen's troll song scene. Apparently they were supposed to have a larger role in the plot but instead got relegated to "Plot exposition and random song about how wacky they are!". Kristoff doesn't need adopted parents, you could sum up his backstory by just having him tell Anna "My parents... ice carving is dangerous work." Older kids and parents will know exactly what he means, younger kids will think his parents hurt themselves working. Hell, he sells ice, he could have met the trolls that way instead of the whole "Yup, totally raised by trolls with no explanation of how or why I was anywhere near the troll lair in the first place when I was a baby".

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Now that I think about it, they never explicitly say his parents were dead. Those trolls could have just kidnapped him and left his poor parents to assume the worst. This is what I'm going to assume from now on.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Memento posted:

To me, the main problem with using Aliens as a weapons technology means that you'll end up getting Predators turning up to hunt them as trophies.
A film based around this would be loving amazing. Aliens take over the White House, then Predators show up. The army sends in a bunch of Schwarzeneggers to sort them out but they get out of control and they have to call Linda Hamilton and so on. Like the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly but with explosions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Five minutes earlier he'd smashed the Queen into a wall with the landing gear of the dropship while rescuing the woman who'd just blown up all her eggs. I suspect the Queen was slightly pissed off with him and considered him a threat.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

sulphix posted:

Posting from the west coast, chicks tend to wear bras over here too, pretty sure it's just a movie thing. Once you mentioned nipples, one scene popped immediately to my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCr3VETGjE

On the opposite spectrum, it really bugs me when people are having sex in a movie, and they are fully clothed. More of an issue with television, but still. Don't know a lot of people who only take their shirts off to gently caress. If you're going to throw a sex scene into your movie, loving commit to it.

I wanna say Rose McGowan in Scream was called out in the commentary as 100% intentional. Scream is a commentary on horror movies, and every horror movie has some slutty chick with big tits. They didn't go for nudity for some reason, but they got as close to it as they were willing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Pilchenstein posted:

Like the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly but with explosions.

That's a hell of an elevator pitch.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

A film based around this would be loving amazing. Aliens take over the White House, then Predators show up. The army sends in a bunch of Schwarzeneggers to sort them out but they get out of control and they have to call Linda Hamilton and so on. Like the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly but with explosions.

I'd be down with this if you'd squeeze RoboCop and some ED209s in as well.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I'd be down with this if you'd squeeze RoboCop and some ED209s in as well.

Topher Grace hunts Predators, Kurtwood Smith hunts Topher Grace, and RoboCop hunts Kurtwood Smith. Boom.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

This is going to be especially petty, but are most actresses afraid of bras? I always see nipples poking through shirts in movies in a setting that would generally be inappropriate to be bra-less. I know that there is no underwear in space and I wouldn't care if she went topless if it fit her character, but this is that one little thing that always makes me stop and say, "professional and/or athletic women generally wear bras to work or on first dates."
Maybe it's a conservative Midwest thing that isn't generally observed on the coasts, but it bugs me enough to post about it

Think about it real hard for a second and tell me why an actress in a movie where her wardrobe is picked for her wouldn't be wearing a bra. Big hint: It has nothing to do with regional styling.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

MindlessHavok posted:

Think about it real hard for a second and tell me why an actress in a movie where her wardrobe is picked for her wouldn't be wearing a bra. Big hint: It has nothing to do with regional styling.

Is the answer Titties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I could be way off here, but I remember women walking around without a bra being way more common in the 90s than it is now, and it seems like it happened more in movies then too.