Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So any rumors on the off-the-street hiring firing back up again anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Bramble posted:

So any rumors on the off-the-street hiring firing back up again anytime soon?

Not yet, but its just a matter of time; They barely selected anyone last go-around. If you applied in the Feb '14 bid, they might re-select from that pool, or they might start a fresh process. Nobody knows. When we do, I'll make sure this thread gets an update about it. I'm sure Ferretking will as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've got my fingers on the pulse of the FAA hiring gossip :smug:

Yeah I'll totally keep this updated if it hasn't closed from inactivity yet. OTS hiring was supposed to be the biggest focal point of this thread (since ATC stuff in general probably could have fit just fine in the A/T Aviation thread). Then, NOBODY got selected! Yay!

I do know 2 people who got picked up on that last OTS round though. They start the academy sometime in the Spring if they pass all their screens. Both white males, btw. I mention that because there has been some impotent rage about the FAA using that biographical questionnaire at the end of the application to selectively diversify the applicant pool. My very limited anecdotal experience doesn't reflect that as truth.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Were any of you atc goons working Amarillo approach or tower tonight? I seem to remember one of you works here. If you were, we just had some goon to goon communication.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

KodiakRS posted:

Were any of you atc goons working Amarillo approach or tower tonight? I seem to remember one of you works here. If you were, we just had some goon to goon communication.

I do, but I got done at 5:45 yesterday, so it probably wasn't me. Just had a Southwest pilot try to get me in trouble. Our temp/dew point equipment is out of service so she asked me for the readings. I told her I could contact the NWS office right next to the tower to get them for her and she goes "what does your iPhone say?". I quickly told her it's against the rules to have those on in the TRACON.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, the noise they make can really interrupt your nap. *rim-shot*

Thanks folks I'll be here all week.

Why did she want to know temp/dew point anyway? Was it foggy? Seems like that would have already been something she knew about if she was on the approach. Maybe they use it for performance charts...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah, the noise they make can really interrupt your nap. *rim-shot*

Thanks folks I'll be here all week.

Why did she want to know temp/dew point anyway? Was it foggy? Seems like that would have already been something she knew about if she was on the approach. Maybe they use it for performance charts...

It's part of what they plug into the computer that flies the plane for them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I mean usually if temperature isn't above 40 degrees I don't care. Well, at sea level that is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like the CTI schools finally started throwing enough money at Senators to get a bill introduced.

SAFE TOWERS ACT :rolleyes:

quote:

Among other provisions, the SAFE TOWERS Act would:

· Restore preferred status for CTI graduates with school recommendations and qualified veterans back into the hiring process.

· Eliminate the use of a Biographical Assessment that unduly disqualifies applicants.

· Allow candidates who will have aged out from the interim hiring process, or were deemed unqualified by the Bio Q, the chance to reapply.

· Establish an ATC Advisory Committee, composed of relevant educational institutions and organizations, to provide advice and recommendations to the Administrator of the FAA in regards to needs, objectives, plans, and content of air traffic control training programs.

o Requires an annual report from the Advisory Committee to Congress citing recommendations. The FAA must respond within 60 days explaining why they did or did not comply.

o Requires the FAA to notify Advisory Committee and CTI schools prior to any future changes in the hiring process and allow the schools an opportunity to comment.

o Requires the FAA take into consideration locally developed training initiatives at CTI schools when establishing best practices nationwide.

So basically, the CTI schools want control over the hiring process.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Looks like the CTI schools finally started throwing enough money at Senators to get a bill introduced.

SAFE TOWERS ACT :rolleyes:

So basically, the CTI schools want control over the hiring process.

They still crank out more suckers students than there are ATC jobs, annually, which is a rather large structural problem with the whole program.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

They still crank out more suckers students than there are ATC jobs, annually, which is a rather large structural problem with the whole program.

And judging by the influx of new trainees and the subsequent lack of diversity of said trainees I can kind of see what the FAA is going for. All but 2 new trainees in the building this year are white dudes. The other 2 are white chicks.

Those schools shouldn't have any say over what the FAA does and their students shouldn't get preferential treatment over any other college degree. I keep seeing people trying to equate it to an accounting or law degree being required for those respective fields, but come on. They're not even remotely similar.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It seems like ATC is more like an apprenticeship type program combined with some school training. It's not the same as a law degree.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I love the dramatic and pandering name of that bill.

I was an off the street hire and I don't think I'm unsafe.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fknlo posted:

Representatives! :eng101:

Looks like this is where the text will be once fully processed: https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5675

Also, there's all of three legislative days left before the elections in November.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I love the dramatic and pandering name of that bill.

I was an off the street hire and I don't think I'm unsafe.

Well you see, my degree that prepared me for the FAA academy and pretty much nothing else makes me a better controller than anyone else because reasons.

I'm an off the street hire too. I'm only mildly unsafe. Probably only that good because I've got a degree in a non-aviation field. A guy I went to the academy with only has a GED. He got checked out too! He's terrible, but he still managed to get checked out without some fancy associates in FAA academy preparedness.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
A dude from my high school friended me on facebook while I was still a trainee and his profile said he was a controller at my center. I'd been there long enough to have an idea of who most controllers were and was pretty sure he wasn't one. I poked around and found out he was just one of those interns that draws maps all day or whatever they allow them to do.

He was just in CTI school and I would check on his status periodically to see where he was at in the hiring process. So he finally gets in to the academy in May and is just updating his facebook about rocking the map test and whatever like weekly. A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen him hanging around with the other new trainees. He didn't pass the academy.

Dude spent 4 years in school, went to the academy with people he already knew, knew people at his facility, and had access to most of the material beforehand and still couldn't pass. What are they teaching at these schools?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

A dude from my high school friended me on facebook while I was still a trainee and his profile said he was a controller at my center. I'd been there long enough to have an idea of who most controllers were and was pretty sure he wasn't one. I poked around and found out he was just one of those interns that draws maps all day or whatever they allow them to do.

He was just in CTI school and I would check on his status periodically to see where he was at in the hiring process. So he finally gets in to the academy in May and is just updating his facebook about rocking the map test and whatever like weekly. A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen him hanging around with the other new trainees. He didn't pass the academy.

Dude spent 4 years in school, went to the academy with people he already knew, knew people at his facility, and had access to most of the material beforehand and still couldn't pass. What are they teaching at these schools?

It's really quite variable. I went to Purdue for CTI, and thankfully they have a fantastic aviation program generally along with a professor who is an ex-controller to run the ATC portion, I learned a great deal while going to school there. I have coworkers who went to other schools though who said that their specific ATC education in college amounted to basically nothing.

The CTI program wasn't a terrible idea in itself, the trouble is that the FAA exercised essentially no oversight of the schools it anointed . It also lied to the students, telling them if they got this degree they would be hired, and then pulling the rug out from under them, which coupled with their poor oversight meant a lot of young adults having paid a lot of money for a largely worthless degree.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

JohnClark posted:

It's really quite variable. I went to Purdue for CTI, and thankfully they have a fantastic aviation program generally along with a professor who is an ex-controller to run the ATC portion, I learned a great deal while going to school there. I have coworkers who went to other schools though who said that their specific ATC education in college amounted to basically nothing.

The CTI program wasn't a terrible idea in itself, the trouble is that the FAA exercised essentially no oversight of the schools it anointed . It also lied to the students, telling them if they got this degree they would be hired, and then pulling the rug out from under them, which coupled with their poor oversight meant a lot of young adults having paid a lot of money for a largely worthless degree.

Oh hey fellow Boilermaker, what year did you graduate? I definitely appreciated how straight forward they were with us there, I was prepared for the year and a half wait after graduating and knew nothing was guaranteed. Also how they didn't offer an ATC specific degree because hiring could dry up, at least having Aviation Management on the degree and taking some business classes gives you options if ATC doesn't work out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spoke to my old Raytheon boss upstairs the other day, and found out that the last few enroute initial classes have had a 45% pass rate. On average, in a class of 18, 8 or 9 move on to their respective facilities. That should be printed in bold italic 90pt font at the top of your college major paperwork if you're signing up at a CTI school.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Spoke to my old Raytheon boss upstairs the other day, and found out that the last few enroute initial classes have had a 45% pass rate. On average, in a class of 18, 8 or 9 move on to their respective facilities. That should be printed in bold italic 90pt font at the top of your college major paperwork if you're signing up at a CTI school.

We had our big talk about upcoming staffing/budget/etc... with the facility head the other day. I think he said the academy is at about a 40% washout rate and then once they get to ZKC about another 25% wash out. So that's a lot of people not making it through. On the plus side, if you make it through your first year you can go to a tower if you don't make it at the center. I don't think many of those people wash out of their towers?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

On the plus side, if you make it through your first year you can go to a tower if you don't make it at the center. I don't think many of those people wash out of their towers?

I think it depends greatly on how intelligently they are placed, and how useful they were to begin with. We have a guy that washed from center, went to a slow level 5 tower facility and certified, then transferred to my busier level 9 Tower/Tracon facility. He's not stellar. Really he should have stayed at the smaller tower I think, but it's his prerogative to try.

We also received a center wash out directly who has a speech impediment and doesn't appear that he's going to wow us either. Time will tell though, my facility is a-ok with letting people take 5+ years to certify, so folks definitely get plenty of chances.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Zochness posted:

Oh hey fellow Boilermaker, what year did you graduate? I definitely appreciated how straight forward they were with us there, I was prepared for the year and a half wait after graduating and knew nothing was guaranteed. Also how they didn't offer an ATC specific degree because hiring could dry up, at least having Aviation Management on the degree and taking some business classes gives you options if ATC doesn't work out.

2007, I actually transferred there from Minnesota after...misspending my first couple college years. How about you? And you're absolutely right, the fact that we got either the mechanic, pilot or management degree in addition to the CTI cert was excellent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apparently there was a fire at Chicago Center. Possibly set by a contractor? All flights are going around them.

Story here

My airspace is most of southern Illinois. Looks like they're not having a good time...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Oh boy! I'm on airport reserve in Chicago tonight, I get the feeling it's gonna be a loooong day.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
They've cancelled all our shifts up to 13:00 so far

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

JohnClark posted:

2007, I actually transferred there from Minnesota after...misspending my first couple college years. How about you? And you're absolutely right, the fact that we got either the mechanic, pilot or management degree in addition to the CTI cert was excellent.

What I'm getting from all this discussion is that I should switch majors to mechanic or airport management. I've intentionally been avoiding the direct ATC courses until my last quarters in case I decide/need to switch. I've set an appointment with my aviation adviser on whether or not I should switch before I have to register next quarter. There's a generic "Aircraft Transportation" degree that's a bit of a catch-all program I Might go with.
One thing the aviation department does for/to ATC students, at least, is drive home that this is not a guaranteed route of employment. For any of the aviation degrees, the program director for the aviation division requires you to sign a paper stating that you fully recognize that taking any of the programs is not a guarantee of employment, then he copies it for the school's records and gives you the original.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Latest news

quote:

ABC7 sources are calling this an intentional act. The source said the man, who has not been identified, had intimate knowledge of the building and radar system. He cut every radar feed to FAA air controllers before setting gas-soaked rags on fire near sensitive equipment, sources said, and also damaged the communications system.

:stare:

So the union email saying this may be a "long term" outage wasn't kidding. Wonder if this will highlight how vulnerable our air transportation system is to local acts that cause widespread issues.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

fknlo posted:

Latest news

:stare:

So the union email saying this may be a "long term" outage wasn't kidding. Wonder if this will highlight how vulnerable our air transportation system is to local acts that cause widespread issues.

So is this 'terrorism' or just some dude who's pissed off? I mean end result is the same but still.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Spookydonut posted:

So is this 'terrorism' or just some dude who's pissed off? I mean end result is the same but still.

It was a contractor. Found the dude in the basement with a bunch of burns from the fire. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way, terrorism or pissed off dude. And honestly? After seeing how en route treats their developmentals, I am AMAZED this hasn't happened before. This is why I never treat anyone like poo poo when they are in training, even more so people about to wash. I want to be the nice guy they spare if they go nuts and bring in a automatic rifle. Initial reports just say crazed/pissed guy. But...why? Contractor is making cash. Why so mad?

fknlo posted:

ERAM didn't save poo poo. :P Also, anyone who has ever even stepped in those buildings knows how stupidly vulnerable this crap really is. Like I said, I'm pretty amazed this hasn't happened before. Multiple times.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 26, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
He was supposedly about to get transferred to hawaii. Dude must really not like hawaii.

Anybody know if my sister should change her Wednesday flight out of midway?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

It was a contractor. Found the dude in the basement with a bunch of burns from the fire. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way, terrorism or pissed off dude. And honestly? After seeing how en route treats their developmentals, I am AMAZED this hasn't happened before. This is why I never treat anyone like poo poo when they are in training, even more so people about to wash. I want to be the nice guy they spare if they go nuts and bring in a automatic rifle. Initial reports just say crazed/pissed guy. But...why? Contractor is making cash. Why so mad?

According to the video attached to the story I posted above, he'd recently been told he was being transferred to Hawaii. Might have had something to do with it.

And yeah, I'm amazed no one has ever gone postal, especially after hearing how bad training was even just a few years ago.

Edit: Guess that means the psych evaluations are doing their job? One chemtrail nut with a truck and some fertilizer could really gently caress some stuff up though.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

According to the video attached to the story I posted above, he'd recently been told he was being transferred to Hawaii. Might have had something to do with it.

And yeah, I'm amazed no one has ever gone postal, especially after hearing how bad training was even just a few years ago.

poo poo is still absolutely dumb gently caress retarded in the area at my center. The other areas are basically 6 figure welfare for how much we carry the facilities rating.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

poo poo is still absolutely dumb gently caress retarded in the area at my center. The other areas are basically 6 figure welfare for how much we carry the facilities rating.

You're ZJX, aren't you? What area? Just wondering if our poo poo feeds make it up to you or not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, our transfer from ZJX has been special to say the least. Got checked out on all the highs and then decided he didn't like the cold or something. While he was in the back for DYSIM training he went down for sleep apnea. Finally got that figured out and now he's been retraining for months on sectors he'd already been checked out on. We're pretty sure he was doing it to get sent back there. They told him that wasn't going to happen.

Also, hearing rumors it might be like a month before things get fixed. Just saw on stuckmic that he apparently torched the mains, standby, and backup frequencies as well as loving up flight data and radar data stuff too. One guy just royally hosed some stuff up.

:suicide:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 26, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

Also, hearing rumors it might be like a month before things get fixed. Just saw on stuckmic that he apparently torched the mains, standby, and backup frequencies as well as loving up flight data and radar data stuff too. One guy just royally hosed some stuff up.

:suicide:

Just posted onto the work FB page:

quote:

Get ready for some extensive delays guys. TEC is in effect along the I-80 corridor and all westbound traffic is being kept at 14,000 feet and handled by RFD, MLI, CID and DSM TRACONs. Somehow I get the feeling Chicago ARTCC is not going to by up and running by tomorrow. The words I heard from the Quad City controller were “the damage is much more extensive than ever imagined” when questioned by a pilot. I'm listening to a live ATC feed now and it doesn't sound good.

I'm not an ATC guy but is there any way they can borrow some space at ZKC or ZMP and run part of the center from there? Do they have the equipment in Chicago approach to run part of the center from there? Or are the next few weeks just going to be a royal pain in everyone's rear end?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I feel like you guys have way more information than I do at this point. They called me this morning to tell me not to come in and not to bother calling the facility since no one would be there. Then I heard nothing until they called me again and told me not to come in on Saturday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

I'm not an ATC guy but is there any way they can borrow some space at ZKC or ZMP and run part of the center from there?

This is kind of what is going on, but it's really, really complicated. One of our(ZKC) areas is working the southbound departures off KORD as well as the arrivals to KORD from the south. The caveat is that we're having to give them weird routing to keep them in approach control airspace due to how the processing works.

quote:

Or are the next few weeks just going to be a royal pain in everyone's rear end?

Yes.

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

I feel like you guys have way more information than I do at this point. They called me this morning to tell me not to come in and not to bother calling the facility since no one would be there. Then I heard nothing until they called me again and told me not to come in on Saturday.

Are you at ZAU? Might be a few days before you're back at work.

I'm really interested in seeing what the overall takeaway from this is going to be. One guy can really gently caress up the system, and this showed it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
SAFE TOWERS act indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I'm not an ATC guy but is there any way they can borrow some space at ZKC or ZMP and run part of the center from there? Do they have the equipment in Chicago approach to run part of the center from there? Or are the next few weeks just going to be a royal pain in everyone's rear end?

I just heard a controller from ZID explaining to someone that they'd have to be below 10,000 by the time they got to Fort Wayne if they wanted to go to Chicago