Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CalPERS had (and has) the problem of being so loving big that taking any kind of meaningful position in anything (compared to its total assets) means buying hugely market-moving quantities of it. Even if they ease into a position over the course of a year or two. That likely eliminates from consideration a large swathe of the market that normal-sized pension funds that manage amounts of like $1B can consider.

e. CalPERS' most recent statement (june 30 2014) says its portfolio market valuation is $300.3B.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
California budgeted about 209 million for this fiscal year. In three months they've gone through most of it. I heard someone on the radio saying that they'll have run out of money by the end of this week but I can't find the source. At least my neck of the woods has been spared so far.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2014/09/19/cal-fire-budget-wildfire-costs-king-fire

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

RandomPauI posted:

California budgeted about 209 million for this fiscal year. In three months they've gone through most of it. I heard someone on the radio saying that they'll have run out of money by the end of this week but I can't find the source. At least my neck of the woods has been spared so far.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2014/09/19/cal-fire-budget-wildfire-costs-king-fire

You failed to mention that budget was for firefighting.
I read what you wrote and I was like, what...?

Don't worry, they will find more money, and they will have Federal funds coming in to help with the effort. No one is going to just stop fighting fires because the budgeted money runs out.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My solution to the draught is to let it all burn.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pohl posted:

Don't worry, they will find more money, and they will have Federal funds coming in to help with the effort. No one is going to just stop fighting fires because the budgeted money runs out.

Yeah, but it is a sign of a new budget pressure. The cost of fighting fires is only going to go up as the climate changes and more and more sprawl rubs up against fire prone areas.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, but it is a sign of a new budget pressure. The cost of fighting fires is only going to go up as the climate changes and more and more sprawl rubs up against fire prone areas.

Yeah, according to the California Report, the average budget was $90 million a few years ago. Now the entire $209 million budget is gone three months into the fiscal year. Insane.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I was listening to kqed as well, forum where they were interviewing sec state candidates and one was saying how federal support for infrastructure projects in California had dried up to nothing because of house republicans punishing us. Does anyone know if this is true?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was listening to kqed as well, forum where they were interviewing sec state candidates and one was saying how federal support for infrastructure projects in California had dried up to nothing because of house republicans punishing us. Does anyone know if this is true?

In so much as House Republicans have blocked most federal support for infrastructure projects across the country that's true. Plus I imagine that'd be more difficult to do post-pork.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

In so much as House Republicans have blocked most federal support for infrastructure projects across the country that's true. Plus I imagine that'd be more difficult to do post-pork.
Every two years they shut down the government unless across-the-board spending cuts are enacted. They can barely be bothered to fund even the most vital functions of government (like not defaulting on our debt). You better believe transit and infrastructure funding to states get chopped during sequestration.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Jesus, there are so many Khanna signs around.

I have no idea what the polling for the race actually looks like, but it's a good thing signs don't vote. He's basically your typical neoliberal corporate Dem, isn't he?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Gubernatorial candidate Neel Kashkari has his finger on the pulse of the people, what with tweeting this over and over every couple of hours:

https://twitter.com/neelkashkari/status/514861837284687872

At least he's committed to his beliefs, I guess. I feel bad for small-C conservatives in this state.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CPColin posted:

Gubernatorial candidate Neel Kashkari has his finger on the pulse of the people, what with tweeting this over and over every couple of hours:

https://twitter.com/neelkashkari/status/514861837284687872

At least he's committed to his beliefs, I guess. I feel bad for small-C conservatives in this state.

Jobs and education, that's it!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Kashkari: cutting taxes, regulations, spending, welfare and now smashing trains! (p.s. please vote for meeee :qq: )

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
In the PacNW thread someone once posted a chart showing a county-by-county breakdown of state tax revenues/usage for Washington State, so you could see which counties were subsidized or were doing the subsidizing. Is there something similar for California?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Cicero posted:

In the PacNW thread someone once posted a chart showing a county-by-county breakdown of state tax revenues/usage for Washington State, so you could see which counties were subsidized or were doing the subsidizing. Is there something similar for California?

Source.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

What's in Alpine and Mono counties that would mean they're in the top 20 "donor counties"? The ski resorts?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
As far as San Bernadino county goes its probably still not getting enough funding as the population density is on par with Afghanistan and it's bigger than 9 US states.

Services are fairly poor.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What's in Alpine and Mono counties that would mean they're in the top 20 "donor counties"? The ski resorts?

It's that, and really low population density. Bishop is actually a surprisingly busy place even during spring/summer. I am also wondering if they get money from selling water, but, IIRC, LA Water & Power actually owns the water rights in Owens Valley.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

As far as San Bernadino county goes its probably still not getting enough funding as the population density is on par with Afghanistan and it's bigger than 9 US states.

Services are fairly poor.

That map is based on per capita revenue/spending.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Kashkari: cutting taxes, regulations, spending, welfare and now smashing trains! (p.s. please vote for meeee :qq: )

Holy poo poo I barely have been following this since the primary since the republicans essentially ceded to Brown before it even happened. I didn't think Kashkari actually won. The dude looks legit crazy and I thought he was just some weirdo no one really paid attention to.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Family Values posted:

That map is based on per capita revenue/spending.

Right and I'm betting that due to density you're spending more per taxpayer because it's spread out.

Also it's pretty drat poor, so yeah.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Holy poo poo I barely have been following this since the primary since the republicans essentially ceded to Brown before it even happened. I didn't think Kashkari actually won. The dude looks legit crazy and I thought he was just some weirdo no one really paid attention to.

This is like, a month and a half after the last dumb stunt Kashkari tried pulling (being homeless in Fresno). I don't think anything, save for divine intervention, will make him not lose 40-60 in the general election.

I think the thread's consensus was that Donnelly (state senator from Riverside County) was the really batshit one, though. In the primary, Brown swept nearly the entire state for first past the post with 54% of the vote; Donnelly won one of those two counties in the northeastern corner (Modoc or Lassen).

edit: also :laffo: pretty much no way this Republican is going to win the general election in the state senate district I live in, so much for him and his "common sense solutions for California" and racist fearmongering

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 25, 2014

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Right and I'm betting that due to density you're spending more per taxpayer because it's spread out.

Also it's pretty drat poor, so yeah.

I'm sure things like the cost of infrastructure and resource management varies with density, but I would guess that Medical and education costs don't, which, along with prisons, are the lions share of the state budget.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty much par for the course for liberal urban areas to end up paying for angry red counties.

It's mainly because urban high population areas basically have much higher tax efficiency and also job market compared to a rural/bedroom county.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Family Values posted:

I'm sure things like the cost of infrastructure and resource management varies with density, but I would guess that Medical and education costs don't, which, along with prisons, are the lions share of the state budget.

Not to go on a whole derail but I'd imagine education and health are also affected by density as your buildings service a more limited population, even if they are smaller, leading to inefficiency(it's a frigging huge county).

Also a fun fact, there's over 100,000 inmates in SB county on a population of 2 million.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

High speed rail was a sort of impractical idea in hindsight, the money would have been better spent unfucking all the local mass transit systems.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

etalian posted:

High speed rail was a sort of impractical idea in hindsight, the money would have been better spent unfucking all the local mass transit systems.

We can always talk about how rich people in Beverly Hills made it so that LA has underground train line that goes for like 3 stops, 2 of which are concurrent with another line.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pohl posted:

Don't worry bro. There is always more money to pay police/firefighters, and to keep expensive ski cabins in the Sierra's from burning. Unlike, say, paying teachers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zeitgueist posted:

Also a fun fact, there's over 100,000 inmates in SB county on a population of 2 million.

No, it doesn't. CDCR only has 135k people state-wide. The highest percentage come from LA county. San Bernardino is like 3rd or something.
And if you mean county inmates, WVDC has 3.3k beds, Adelanto will have about 3k when complete, Glen Helen has about 1000, and Central has about 800. Joshua Tree and Needles have a few temporary beds.
It is a poo poo ton of prisoners, but not 100k!

nm fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

No, it doesn't. CDCR only has 135k people state-wide. The highest percentage come from LA county. San Bernardino is like 3rd or something.
And if you mean county inmates, WVDC has 3.3k beds, Adelanto will have about 3k when complete, Glen Helen has about 1000, and Central has about 800. Joshua Tree and Needles have a few temporary beds.
It is a poo poo ton of prisoners, but not 100k!

My bad, I misread that stat. They see 100k prisoners a year, but not all at once.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Jesus, there are so many Khanna signs around.

I have no idea what the polling for the race actually looks like, but it's a good thing signs don't vote. He's basically your typical neoliberal corporate Dem, isn't he?

Yes. He's basically bought and paid for by Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen, Peter Theil and Sheryl Sandberg. The fact that he's openly denounced Honda for backing the House Progressive Caucus budget instead of taking a cut from Obama's playbook and "compromising" with Republicans (Khanna is an ex-Obama staffer) speaks volumes.

That said, I saw tons of Khanna signs in June too and Honda still got over 48% of the vote, so Khanna has to actually get every Republican to pull the lever for him instead of abstaining to pull off an upset. It's entirely possible that that happens though (why do you think he has always played his "let's get Rs and Ds working together!" shtick) and he will very likely grab the Indian-American vote by default (the district is plurality, nearly majority, Asian; I don't have a percentage which is of South Asian descent though) and conservative mouthpieces are pulling for him (the Mercury-News has endorsed him) as is San Jose's mayor, so I wouldn't count Khanna out until the returns come in.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 25, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I would have no issue with this if the idiots receiving the money weren't such loving assholes. Help us help you.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This is true of literally every state. Not to defend central valley conservatives, but "rich areas with high cost of living paying more in per capita taxes than poor areas with cheap cost of living" is pretty much the norm and almost inevitable math wise. That map could also read "the people with the most money own homes in these yellow areas" and it would be true.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When you're rhetoric is "Us country makers vs them city takers" and the reality is the opposite of that, you might be a Redneck.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Khanna is split even among the Indian people because he seems like a giant douchebag (hint, he is). Compare this to Honda, who has had a perfect voting record on pretty much all pieces of rights-related legislation, and who grew up in a loving internment camp. I'd be pretty unhappy if Honda lost, and this is coming from somebody who grew up in Santa Clara.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

This is true of literally every state. Not to defend central valley conservatives, but "rich areas with high cost of living paying more in per capita taxes than poor areas with cheap cost of living" is pretty much the norm and almost inevitable math wise. That map could also read "the people with the most money own homes in these yellow areas" and it would be true.

It's also limited by only looking at state sales tax and income tax. If you're primarily a farmer the latter won't apply to you, and if 20% of your county is below the poverty line you're not going to generate much sales tax either.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

cheese posted:

The point is that the people who need the safety net are also voting for politicians that want to cut or eliminate the safety net.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ntan1 posted:

Khanna is split even among the Indian people because he seems like a giant douchebag (hint, he is). Compare this to Honda, who has had a perfect voting record on pretty much all pieces of rights-related legislation, and who grew up in a loving internment camp. I'd be pretty unhappy if Honda lost, and this is coming from somebody who grew up in Santa Clara.

I was at the Newark Days parade last Sunday, and Khanna himself showed up in it.

His crew was saying "Fired up and ready for Ro", but they sounded so loving bored. His spokesperson tried making hay out of his showing up to the parade while Honda didn't, but still got a rather cool/apathetic reception.

Also at the same parade, while Wieckowski (the Democrat who advanced to the state senate race) and Kansen Chu (one of the Democrats who advanced for State Assembly) showed up to the parade, Peter Kuo didn't. I guess that's saying something; for a guy who bases his campaign around fearmongering to rich rear end in a top hat Chinese people about how SCA5 would have meant "quotas will be imposed on Asians at the UC and your precious snowflake's space at UCLA and Cal will go to some undeserving illiterate Latino or black untermensch instead!", he wouldn't show his face to hawk that message at a city as heavily Latino and mainly middle and working-class as Newark.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

The point is that the people who need the safety net are also voting for politicians that want to cut or eliminate the safety net.

Are you sure they're not just not voting at all? Those poor rural counties are ripe for voter suppression laws and misinformation campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

Are you sure they're not just not voting at all? Those poor rural counties are ripe for voter suppression laws and misinformation campaigns.

Failing to vote is not an excuse IMHO. Also I don't think we have any voter suppression laws in CA; hell I'm registered for permanent absentee voting, it doesn't get much easier than having the ballot mailed to you and mailing it back whenever.

e: BTW, if you look at the statistics page on the Secretary of State site, it's kind of interesting that a majority of Californians now vote by mail in the general election, as of 2012. Neat. (Primaries have been that way for longer)

Family Values fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 25, 2014