Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Go RV! posted:

I'd do this.

That's why you run a deck that beats the BD Control/Gorestorm meta. Here's a write-up of the HexTCGPro Invitational from a few weeks ago, with a good range of archetypes.

Of course even there a quarter of the tournament was B/D, and a big percentage of the wins, too. That's the problem with B/D; it doesn't have a hard counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I'd also enter.

There is no entry fee and no prizes as far as I am aware. So why not play something fun? Screw B/D control. It is boring to play and boring to play against.

I say let's show em what Goons are all about not take this video game so seriously, and play with hilarious jank decks that are fun to play (and maybe can win.)

I have a full playset so any wacky deck you guys want to toss out there, I can build. I'm sure many of us are in the same boat by now.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Of course even there a quarter of the tournament was B/D, and a big percentage of the wins, too. That's the problem with B/D; it doesn't have a hard counter.
Ehh, I would argue that Gorestorm has a favourable matchup versus B/D Control - and only two decks in the Invitational were using the deck so the statistics are a little skewed. I mean in fairness the fact that only two players were running the deck has got to be a little unusual, right?

Anywho - as people may be aware I have been writing a few articles for Hextechs over the past few weeks, which have been targeted at new players and those getting to grips with the game's concepts. I've not been linking to them because the last thing I want to do is get all self promotional, but has anyone got any particular requests for content they'd like to see?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LightReaper posted:

Anywho - as people may be aware I have been writing a few articles for Hextechs over the past few weeks, which have been targeted at new players and those getting to grips with the game's concepts. I've not been linking to them because the last thing I want to do is get all self promotional, but has anyone got any particular requests for content they'd like to see?

Something about mana curve/shard distribution could be useful to point people to when they complain about bad draws?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Articles for newer players, huh? What about how many copies of a card to put in your deck, and when to use certain cards over other similar ones? The nuances of your card choice and how they affect how your deck runs (Oracle Song vs Peek for example)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'd probably be game, I think I have all my important playsets.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Oh, also, free sleeve code. Post when you redeem it:

3VF10ASBKQGTC23CW2AZFVBKG

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 23, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Did we ever set up a playtest group? If not, we should get on that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lawsuit update

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=38174 posted:

The two sides had a conference (by phone) on September 4th. This document is the result of that. Basically, the two sides are agreeing to a general schedule/plan for the next phase of the process - discovery. Basically, discovery is where each side has to turn over relevant information to the other.

This is a process document, rather than a content one. It's about how they are going to do things, not about the actual content of the case. Here are interesting/notable points from the document:

Both parties agree that this is a "highly complex case." Discovery will be extensive (which means it will be time-consuming and expensive).
Topics of discovery: "claim construction, infringement, and validity of the patent-in-suit, actual dilution and confusion or likelihood of confusion as to trade dress, and to access and copying issues relative to the copyrights, as well as damages."
Discovery will last a long time. There is a deadline or other important date nearly every month up until December 14, 2015, which is the last day to file dispositive motions.
The trial is expected to last 12 court days.
The parties disagree as to whether there should be one trial or two. WotC wants one trial. CZE wants separate trials for liability and damages.
They should be ready for trial by Spring 2016.
Both parties agree to video recording. Yay!

e:

Karnegal posted:

What sleeves are those? Pippit or something else?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 23, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Karnegal posted:

Wow, those stuck around for a long time. Thanks!

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 23, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
quote is not edit

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Thanks RV & Tamba, both ideas are great and I'll definitely write something on both, maybe combine the two as they both deal with deck building.

In regards to the lawsuit stuff, it's super interesting that both agreed to let everything be recorded on video, wonder what that might lead to.

Gonna stream a draft, come chill http://twitch.tv/lightreaper

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I don't know what articles you've written, but one of the big things I see with New players is then copying a top deck and not knowing why it's a top deck.

That isn't fundamentally bad, you learn how to play it eventually, but a lot of people never learn what makes it good and why cards were chosen and the number of them.

Specifically, I think the differences between a good card and a bad card that seem similar, and what makes a card good in the first place would be a good article.

I realize it's kind of complicated and you'd have to talk about things like the curve and why it's important before you even start it, but after years of magic and now this, the only time I see people deconstruct a card and explain how it's bad when it might look good, and then how that applies to other cards is drafters explaining why they picked something.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So for the inter-guild tournament want me to play as guild rep and enter Go RV!, Karnegal, and myself? Who will the fourth (stand-in) be?

Edit:

Go RV! posted:

Did we ever set up a playtest group? If not, we should get on that.

You can use this list if you want!

Hexagoons!

Afgad fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 24, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I really need to get back into HEX. I used to stream drafts a ton, then Real LifeTM happened and I've been unable to play much if at all. In the interim, I've seen goons have been doing well with it, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it myself.

Any suggestions on how best to get back into HEX? I'm definitely interested in constructed, and still have well over 200 packs (and 15-ish Primals) kicking around as capital of sorts. I assume EV on regular packs is pretty meh so cracking them likely isn't the best use for them if I'm just looking to finish a collection of Set 1, yea? Anyways, looking forward to doing more with this over the coming weeks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mikujin posted:

I really need to get back into HEX. I used to stream drafts a ton, then Real LifeTM happened and I've been unable to play much if at all. In the interim, I've seen goons have been doing well with it, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it myself.

Any suggestions on how best to get back into HEX? I'm definitely interested in constructed, and still have well over 200 packs (and 15-ish Primals) kicking around as capital of sorts. I assume EV on regular packs is pretty meh so cracking them likely isn't the best use for them if I'm just looking to finish a collection of Set 1, yea? Anyways, looking forward to doing more with this over the coming weeks.

Draft with your packs and sell the extra rares you don't need to keep funding your drafting habit. I've been doing that right along and at this point I'm maybe ten or fifteen cards away from a playset.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Once trading is in collection stuff will be way easier, prices on the AH at the moment tend to be low if you're buying singles but too high if you're buying packs (I'm not sure about Primal packs); a kinda wish I had sold my primals instead of opening like a maniac but sometimes you just gotta get that rush

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I really hope we see some guild tools soon. Just having a guild interface so you could practice constructed easily with guildmates would be huge. Obviously open beta and the first PvE dungeon are more important for promoting the brand (and the 2nd expansion), but guilds would certainly help.

Also, I managed to 3-0 my first draft in like a month (woo vacation!) with a pile of crap that that included like 12 dudes and 6 Terrible Transfers. I really should have been in Wild, but it ended up not mattering because the average player skill is still pretty low. I really hope they roll some stuff out soon, the game needs more players.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley

Afgad posted:

So for the inter-guild tournament want me to play as guild rep and enter Go RV!, Karnegal, and myself? Who will the fourth (stand-in) be?

Edit:

You can use this list if you want!

Hexagoons!

I'm pretty into constructed. I'll be on a team. Fridged is my in-game nickname.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Crosswell posted:

I'm pretty into constructed. I'll be on a team. Fridged is my in-game nickname.

Great, I'll send them the info.

Also I added you to the spreadsheet.

Edit: It seems we missed the signup by a few days. Sorry guys :( I'll still PM him and ask, but I doubt we can be slotted in.

I blame my propensity to immediately label large, colored text as unimportant. Oddly, if someone just types it in normal-sized black text, I'll almost always read it.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

Great, I'll send them the info.

Also I added you to the spreadsheet.

Edit: It seems we missed the signup by a few days. Sorry guys :( I'll still PM him and ask, but I doubt we can be slotted in.

I blame my propensity to immediately label large, colored text as unimportant. Oddly, if someone just types it in normal-sized black text, I'll almost always read it.

no biggie once open beta is go, we'll put together some goon events.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm raedrafting my ticket in the competitive queue because I really can't afford to stay up late, and I've decided I'm on the minotaur mercenary plan. I've managed to snag three of them (soemone picked up my third somewhere between pack 2 pick 3 and 10? who does that? So I'm running bulls 1, 2, and 4 that I saw)

I'd say wish me luck but I really don't want to stay up and play this out.

Also I felt it was correct to take minotaur 3 over zodiac chimes, despite my goal of raredrafting.

e:

Game 1 went about as expected:

Game 2 went in my favor. Note that I played the minotaur pre-combat before swinging to give my opponent a brief glimmer of hope before I crushed him. Supressive fire would have neutralized it anyways

Game 3 proved that a 4/3 on turn 2 can actually go the distance and is reasonably powered for the cost:

And now I'm stuck needing to wait for round 2 but needing sleep.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 24, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I've always thought that Minotaur Mercenary could be good in the mid-game. There's two ways to play it:

Early game: You either get a big ol' beater, or you give your opponent an extra guy, and you have nothing to block with. Obviously way too swingy without at least a Sorrow in hand.

Midgame: You get a 4/3 which is likely still relevant, or your opponent gets a 2/1 that'll likely get chumped.

It's still obviously horribly RNG, not competitive in the least and there are better cards out there at that cost, but you could have some fun with it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Pardon the double post, but the a new patcher has been announced for the 30th. I assume this is bringing the Arena and the new UI with it at least.

https://hextcg.com/new-patcher-coming/

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Go RV! posted:

Pardon the double post, but the a new patcher has been announced for the 30th. I assume this is bringing the Arena and the new UI with it at least.

https://hextcg.com/new-patcher-coming/

Oh ye of great faith.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

Oh ye of great faith.

Disappointment isn't just a snarky in-game name :smith:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think we'll get the new UI. Arena seems unlikely. I'm guessing the sequence will be new patcher/UI -> open beta -> Set 2 -> Arena.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Hey Afgad can you add me to the spreadsheet too? HEX name is Rylek as well, and I'm EST. I'm also game for any inter-Goon or Goon vs. World shenanigans that come up, just let me know.

I've been running a slightly modified version of the Pact deck and I like it a lot. I want to test it out more against B/D control, but I don't ever seem to run into that in the Proving ground. I've hit R/D control a lot recently along with a lot of Zombie Plague decks, I need actual practice partners.

Also what are your guys thoughts on Curse of Oblivion(http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=21)? Good card, Bad Card, Sideboard Card?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Rylek posted:

Hey Afgad can you add me to the spreadsheet too? HEX name is Rylek as well, and I'm EST. I'm also game for any inter-Goon or Goon vs. World shenanigans that come up, just let me know.

I've been running a slightly modified version of the Pact deck and I like it a lot. I want to test it out more against B/D control, but I don't ever seem to run into that in the Proving ground. I've hit R/D control a lot recently along with a lot of Zombie Plague decks, I need actual practice partners.

Also what are your guys thoughts on Curse of Oblivion(http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=21)? Good card, Bad Card, Sideboard Card?
Almost always a sideboard card, as it's terrible versus aggressive decks - unless you hit say a cerulean mirror knight your opponent is almost always happy for you to spend a card that doesn't directly impact the board or gain you direct card advantage.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Rylek posted:

Mostly Bad Card, with perhaps a bit of niche Sideboard application in control mirrors or against future combo decks.

The problem is that it does nothing to deal with the card you target, it just mildly degrades your opponent's card quality in the future. Unless the game goes really long, or the card is so critical to the matchup that drawing it is one of the primary determiners of who wins (like a critical combo card or one of a control deck's few win conditions), its effect is small enough to be unnoticeable. Even then you still need a way to deal with the first copy.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Drafting for probably the next 4+ hours http://twitch.tv/lightreaper , join me!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So I went back to look at the Hexagoon spreadsheet again and somehow a bunch of errors appeared in the past day. Do I really need to lock it to outside edits?

Hexagoon spreadsheet

It now says What a Judas is Rylek in game, but Rylek just said he is Rylek in game. Also pretty sure Karnegal is Karnegal in game, not revengeanceful, and I'm definitely sure Here is Stovetop is not Karnegal in-game. Go RV! is not Fleshmire.

Everybody go fix your entry. Or the person who messed it up please go and undo your shenanigans. Edit: Tamba fixed it.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 25, 2014

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Not sure what happened there, but looks like a lot of the entries are/were messed up. I'm Brixx in game and edited my entry. Even my timezone was wrong.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In google docs you can go File > See revision history and roll back changes (though, obviously you shouldn't have to)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Uh, I think that was my fault

I tried sorting the rows, but it seems like something went horribly wrong.

Everything should be correct now.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

In google docs you can go File > See revision history and roll back changes (though, obviously you shouldn't have to)

Cool I did not know about that. Good to know for the future.

If you're on, want to play constructed?

Tamba posted:

Uh, I think that was my fault

It's ok, thank you for correcting them. I've done similar things in the past, not to mention other mistakes (see: trying to apply for guild tournament 5 days after submissions closed.)

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Do you guys have any cool decks you've been running? I'm sitting here at work bored and was trying to brain storm some ideas for a few new decks. Deck building is not my strongest skill set with TCGs so I always like to try and get inspired by what other people are running.

I was thinking about trying to build something around Relentless Corruption because I really love that card and think it has fantastic art to boot! Would also like to make a non-poo poo tier Pack Raptor deck, if that's even possible.

So what have you guys been tinkering with lately?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Rylek posted:

Do you guys have any cool decks you've been running? I'm sitting here at work bored and was trying to brain storm some ideas for a few new decks. Deck building is not my strongest skill set with TCGs so I always like to try and get inspired by what other people are running.

I was thinking about trying to build something around Relentless Corruption because I really love that card and think it has fantastic art to boot! Would also like to make a non-poo poo tier Pack Raptor deck, if that's even possible.

So what have you guys been tinkering with lately?

I've been tinkering with Guild Wars 2 mostly, Hex has taken a backseat until things Set 2 or the VIP tourneys.

The Threshold guy who was in the Invitational ran a Reggie mill deck that's pretty neat, that I would like to try out.

Pack Raptors though, have a hard time due to how goddamn prevalent board wipe is, and how hard Countermagic and Oblivion just hate on a specific card.

I think there's a deck there once Set 2 comes out and we have more answers Fish Hands to protect the card.

Sapphire Wild Raptors could be a thing, but it really needs card draw to keep the tempo. Maybe Dream Dance to keep the good cards flowing.

You might even be able to run it as a variant of the super powerful mono Sapphire deck that has started devouring the meta.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
One of the first decks I built was Raptor Sapphire. It's pretty tight. Wyatt, 4x Raptor, Oakhenge, Ancestor's Chosen, Buccaneer, Time Ripple, Peek, Mimic, Counter, 2x Mesmerize, and 2x Yesterday.
Give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think they would actually run the VIP tournaments this month but apparently they start tomorrow

VIP Constructed
Players: 16 minimum – 128 maximum
Format: 4 rounds of Swiss
Entry fee: VIP ticket + 500 plat
Prizes:
4 wins: 10 packs / 2 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 2 Menacing Gralk AA / 30,000 gold
3 wins: 6 packs / 1 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 1 Menacing Gralk AA / 15,000 gold
2 wins: 3 packs / 1 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 1 Menacing Gralk AA / 10,000 gold
1 win: 2 packs / 5,000 gold
0 wins: 1 pack / 5,000 gold

• Locked thread