Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lemming posted:

MSI 970 seems to be back in stock on Newegg as of this post, I just ordered one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-127-832
Thanks, cancelled my Asus order on Amazon and got one of these. Hopefully it gets here before the weekend...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Newegg has the Asus 980 in stock. As these are all reference models am I correct in assuming the only thing I'm losing out on this vs. an EVGA is the step up program?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I upgraded my old 6970 to a Gigabyte Gaming G1 970. Conservatively I'd say it's at least 2 to 2,5 times faster just in 1920*1200. A shame I mostly play Wasteland 2 right now. Idle temp of 33c is kinda sweet.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking to upgrade my old GTX560 with a 970, would my PSU be able to support it or not?

Currently using;

-Corsair TX650 80+ Bronze CMPSU-650TX (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/tx650w).
-i5-4670k Intel CPU.
-Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think it actually has a slightly lower TDP, so yes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Whee, I just made a new email account on Newegg with a new premier trial and snagged two MSI 970. I think on my SLI micro ATX board I'm going to use a couple of those PCI riser ribbon cables people have left over from bitcoin mining so that I can lift the cards and spread them more.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking to upgrade my old GTX560 with a 970, would my PSU be able to support it or not?

Currently using;

-Corsair TX650 80+ Bronze CMPSU-650TX (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/tx650w).
-i5-4670k Intel CPU.
-Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard

You'll have at least 300 watts of breathing room, but your TX is probably reaching the risky end of it's life span so keep that in mind.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 24, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Lemming posted:

Thanks. Just ordered this.

I should be getting all my parts today including the EVGA 970 that I will be returning. Is there a way to cancel an RMA so that I can create another RMA on the same item (it didn't update the RMA to remove the restocking fee that I don't have with this free premium trial since I got the trial after creating the initial RMA)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

Newegg has the Asus 980 in stock.
Thanks for the heads up, they also got in some stock of the ASUS 970 STRIX. Not sure why I didn't get the in-stock notification I signed up for, but I've got one ordered now.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Rastor posted:

Thanks for the heads up, they also got in some stock of the ASUS 970 STRIX. Not sure why I didn't get the in-stock notification I signed up for, but I've got one ordered now.

I signed up for notifications twice on one of the things, and both times it came in stock I wasn't notified.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Found this link on Neogaf. It's a readout of all the major online vendors and their GeForce GTX 970 carrying status. In Stock, Out of Stock, or Taking Preorders.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx970/

Thanks for this. Grabbed and Asus from newegg.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Anti-Hero posted:

Newegg has the Asus 980 in stock. As these are all reference models am I correct in assuming the only thing I'm losing out on this vs. an EVGA is the step up program?

Well if it ever has issues EVGA is a hell of a lot easier to work with than ASUS for RMA. Also, for those of us who watercool, EVGA won't instantly void your warranty for removing the cooler.

Speaking of ASUS, is the STRIX a 3 slot card?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Zero VGS posted:

You'll have at least 300 watts of breathing room, but your TX is probably reaching the risky end of it's life span so keep that in mind.

You think so? I got it about 3 1/2 years ago and it's been a good PSU to date. Do PSU's give any warning signs before giving up the ghost? Thanks anyway, thought it would be enough for a 970.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Why does every graphics card on Amazon ship to Australia except for the MSI 970, the only card I want right now. Cheapest in an Aussie store is like $519. Even the blue budget MSI version ships, and I bought my MSI 780ti off Amazon.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Probably a matter of which warehouse has what atm

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Had a strange issue with MSI's 970. After couple of hours the VRM fan apparently went full tilt, only I don't think you can see the speed of it anywhere so I had to take the side off and inspect every fan to find out which one it was. It continued to spin at full speed even after a reboot and manually changing the speed in Afterburner. Only a complete shutdown managed to stop it. The main GPU fan was idle and all temperature readers from GPU, CPU and motherboard were in the mid 30s.

I hope this isn't going to be a recurring issue.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 25, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just bought an MSI 970 the second I noticed it was in stock (hadn't been here yet) :D

Now I just need to find some more graphics intensive games to play to justify it :P

I'll be selling my EVGA SC 760 w/ ACX on SA Mart for $160 shipped as soon as the new card arrives, if anyone is interested in one.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I don't know if this is an issue with the MSI 970 or Nvidia's drivers, but on my Windows 7 machine, my PC now automatically restarts as soon as my monitor goes into sleep mode. I'm connecting it using DisplayPort, and I know Windows 7 has issues with it. On my old AMD card, I'd sometimes get a corrupted screen or the monitor not responding after bringing it out of sleep, but it never restarted the entire PC.

Anyone else have a similar issue when using DisplayPort?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Lowered my MSI 290xes to the frankly ridiculous price of $280 shipped each or $540 for both, I know they're not the new hotness, but they're certainly some kind of hotness (waste heat)!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667123

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lemming posted:

Well looks like I will have mine Friday.

So what are the odds AMD's announcement tomorrow will be a card or cards that at least match the GTX 9X0 series? I like to support the underdogs and AMD needs all the help it can get.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I think I forgot to mention this, but re-reading the spec pages for the GeForce 970 and 980, it seems that they can only support four displays despite having five outputs. Blah.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Why does every graphics card on Amazon ship to Australia except for the MSI 970, the only card I want right now. Cheapest in an Aussie store is like $519. Even the blue budget MSI version ships, and I bought my MSI 780ti off Amazon.

Newegg ships to Australia too I'm pretty sure. Maybe try there? You'd probably be hosed if it had a problem though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Newegg ships to Australia too I'm pretty sure. Maybe try there? You'd probably be hosed if it had a problem though.

I spent a couple hours trying all my different options. Newegg is way out, 60-70USD for shipping, whereas Amazon is 7-11USD. Amazon support has also been fantastic to me in the past so I'm definitely biased towards there. I might just wait it out (rocking a single 570 at 1440, low settings in everything) and see if it changes, or wait for the MSI 980s :shepspends:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
How long till someone unlocks the 970 into the 980?

Also, there was an article on TPU saying that MSI was saving the Lightning edition for a bigger card. Everyone there is assuming that said card will be GM200 in which case launch will be Q1 2015 probably.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 25, 2014

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Quanta posted:

I don't know if this is an issue with the MSI 970 or Nvidia's drivers, but on my Windows 7 machine, my PC now automatically restarts as soon as my monitor goes into sleep mode. I'm connecting it using DisplayPort, and I know Windows 7 has issues with it. On my old AMD card, I'd sometimes get a corrupted screen or the monitor not responding after bringing it out of sleep, but it never restarted the entire PC.

Anyone else have a similar issue when using DisplayPort?

Try another cable, if possible - this happened to me last time I swapped cards, the screen would just disconnect randomly. It never rebooted though...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Khagan posted:

How long till someone unlocks the 970 into the 980?

Also, there was an article on TPU saying that MSI was saving the Lightning edition for a bigger card. Everyone there is assuming that said card will be GM200 in which case launch will be Q1 2015 probably.

nVidia isn't known for their generous policy toward folks trying to unlock their poo poo. They make with the laser pretty aggressively. Remember...

Anandtech's GTX 780 Review posted:

At the same time because NVIDIA has gone from disabling 1 SMX (Titan) to disabling 3 SMXes, GTX 780’s GPC count is now going to be variable thanks to the fact that GK110 packs 3 SMXes to a GPC. GTX 780 cards will either have 5 GPCs or 4 GPCs depending on whether the 3 disabled SMXes are all in the same GPC or not. This is nearly identical to what happened with the GTX 650 Ti, and as with the GTX 650 Ti it’s largely an intellectual curiosity since the difference in GPCs won’t notably impact performance. But it is something worth pointing out.

Zap. I feel like nV knows they can roll this stuff out at a more measured pace and get the most market value for it, whether they're sitting on their punches or not; AMD seems more likely to produce the poo poo out of chips and leave it up to the user to decide if they want to try for more than a 10-20% overclock...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Gigabyte GTX 970 road trip report:

Pros:
- Stable overclock of 1540mhz (core) and 8000mhz (memory)
- 65 degrees under 100% usage synthetic benchmark.
- Actually quiet in synthetic benchmarks.

Cons:
- The fans are quite loud when idle. The fans can't spin below ~1500RPM.
- My card has coil whine when under load but I reckon it would be fairly inconspicuous in a more closed case.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I'll do a trip report with the EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0 I suppose:

Didn't overclock at all, played one of the games I play most often (War thunder) at movie (Meant for recording gameplay, rather than playing) settings (Aside from stuff I turn off simply because I do not like it, like motion blur, lens flare, grass, and post processing AA [which I don't like mostly because it feels/looks like it just blurs the poo poo out of everything])

played at over 100 fps, looked way better than I remember it looking on my old system, probably the particle effects/density. HWmonitor says max temp was 66 degrees celcius, but I also played ArmA III afterwards, and I am reading the max temp after having done that. So I am not sure which game made the temp higher.

Arma III ran pretty drat well at max.

The sound of the card (which I guess is the biggest complaint) isn't actually bad, at least compared to my old card which was the AMD HD 5870, this card seems quieter. I mean I didn't even notice it.

Also it is a lot cooler than my old 5870. Often times my 5870 would idle at 70+ Celsius. This thing hasn't even gone over 66 max while playing pretty drat demanding games (Arma 3)

didn't do any benchmarks, but idk. I need to go to bed. All I did was put together the computer, get the drivers, download 2 games on steam, and then just play them for a bit.

I will still be returning the EVGA card though. I can hear it (or maybe some other fan in my PC) while idling, and I would like to experience what it is like to have near-silence while just browsing/ not doing gpu intensive things, after having had the AMD HD 5870 for the last 5-ish years.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Installed my Asus 970 (HD6950 & catalyst software, good riddance!) and games seem to run at 60FPS, even Minecraft with Seus Ultra shaders :woop: You can make custom fan profiles with msi afterburner if you don't like the default profile.

Idles around 40C with fans off, a bit under 70C when playing. I'll probably look at overclocking later, altough it doesn't feel like it's really neccessary. Can't hear any coil whine or other funny stuffs.

My cpu (3,4GHz i7 920) is probably bottlenecking the GPU, but not sure if the bottleneck is severe enough to mandate spending $$$$ for new haswell-e and parts.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ihmemies posted:

Installed my Asus 970 (HD6950 & catalyst software, good riddance!) and games seem to run at 60FPS, even Minecraft with Seus Ultra shaders :woop: You can make custom fan profiles with msi afterburner if you don't like the default profile.

Idles around 40C with fans off, a bit under 70C when playing. I'll probably look at overclocking later, altough it doesn't feel like it's really neccessary. Can't hear any coil whine or other funny stuffs.

My cpu (3,4GHz i7 920) is probably bottlenecking the GPU, but not sure if the bottleneck is severe enough to mandate spending $$$$ for new haswell-e and parts.

why would you be spending $$$ on haswell-e in any case? The platform isn't intended for gaming. You'd only need to spend $, on Haswell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

Never for gaming are the extreme parts worth it.

A 4790K would literally be better than any Haswell-E part because the clock speed is higher, and single thread performance still outright rules the roost in gaming terms.

Obviously if we're talking about overclocking you can make the E exceed the clocks of high end Devil's Canyon, but we can't exactly guarantee that, and you'd still be spending money you did not get any benefit from.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

Chafe posted:

Gigabyte GTX 970 road trip report:

Pros:
- Stable overclock of 1540mhz (core) and 8000mhz (memory)
- 65 degrees under 100% usage synthetic benchmark.
- Actually quiet in synthetic benchmarks.

Cons:
- The fans are quite loud when idle. The fans can't spin below ~1500RPM.
- My card has coil whine when under load but I reckon it would be fairly inconspicuous in a more closed case.

This makes me want to cry. Just ordered the same card, and in Japan it is apparently impossible to cancel an order. :negative:

God I hope I won't regret buying the Gigabyte card over the MSI. drat thing costs 500$ here. :shepicide:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Well poo poo. I took the plunge and ordered a pair of STRIX 970s three days ago, and the distributor just emailed me that due to a general shortage, they can only get my cards in two+ weeks. Thanks, Eastern Europe. :shepface:

Another distributor I looked at only had EVGA 970s and a single STRIX 970. All of them were gone literally within an hour.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ihmemies posted:

The ASUS card uses higher end components for power delivery so it's actually impossible to get any coil whine on it I think. That's one of the nice thing about the ASUS and MSI versions. Also, yea, the ole -920 is going to bottleneck you a bit, but almost certainly not to the point of changing anything from "playable" to "unplayable." If you do anything aside from gaming that's CPU limited it's probably worth an upgrade.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
All these people worrying that their i7s will bottleneck them. I'm still running an i5 2500k (stock clock). Pretty sure I'll hit a bottleneck in most stuff. :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

AirRaid posted:

All these people worrying that their i7s will bottleneck them. I'm still running an i5 2500k (stock clock). Pretty sure I'll hit a bottleneck in most stuff. :v:

I think its just the architecture itself thats getting a bit old and slower now, not the i7 or i5 part. It is like 6 years old at least I think

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AirRaid posted:

If you overclock that 2500K, it will be in the same ballpark as a 4690K.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I think its just the architecture itself thats getting a bit old and slower now, not the i7 or i5 part. It is like 6 years old at least I think

Made with 45nm process. The newest haswell-e is at 22nm :v:

Ran 3dmark, got a bit under 9300: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4153837

Looking at reviews they get like 10-11K with current processors.

Of course gaming is not the only thing you can do with a 6core. But since the stuff I do is just a hobby I haven't minded the wait times too much.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Twerk from Home posted:

If you overclock that 2500K, it will be in the same ballpark as a 4690K.

But that means finding a decent cooler and :effort:. I'll not bother unless it becomes a huge problem.

I did specifically buy the 2500k with the idea of OC it to get more life later on though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

Made with 45nm process. The newest haswell-e is at 22nm :v:

Ran 3dmark, got a bit under 9300: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4153837

Looking at reviews they get like 10-11K with current processors.

Of course gaming is not the only thing you can do with a 6core. But since the stuff I do is just a hobby I haven't minded the wait times too much.

I just meant comparing i7 and i5 across different architectures doesnt mean much, not that a 920 is bad or slow. Although from everything ive come across you would benefit from an upgrade, at least for gaming, but if you're happy why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AirRaid posted:

But that means finding a decent cooler and :effort:. I'll not bother unless it becomes a huge problem.

I did specifically buy the 2500k with the idea of OC it to get more life later on though.

:catstare:

cmon son you get a good cooler when you buy the machine, and OCing a 2500k is as simple as changing one number.

Regardless, a 2500k has tons more lasting power than Nehalem does at this point.