Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
ill just w8 for bayo2 to cum to PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ronnie posted:

it won't happen. nintendo paid for the game out of their own pockets

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

You can't say anything bad about a dynasty warriors game, but you can't say anything good either.

They're the gaming equivalent to rom-com movies that are so inoffensively bland that nobody is sure what to think about it. Other than "that wasn't as bad as I expected, but I can't remember what happened during the entire movie"

This is why 200 dynasty warriors games exist.

That's actually a really good description

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've seen lots of complaints about Hyrule Warriors, including professional reviews.

From a quick glance at Metacritic, Hyrule Warriors is getting pretty much the exact same reviews every other Warriors game gets. What did you expect?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ronnie posted:

RIP Ronnie
Died waiting for a game to come out on PS4

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So I was sick with the flu over the past week. I got a wiiu on the cheap in anticipation for Smash but I wasn't really planning on picking up any other games. But, as I was stuck at home and unable to go into work, I poked around, saw that Mario 3D World was very highly reviewed, and dropped 60 gently caress it dollars.

What a mistake.

I loved Mario Galaxy, both 1 and 2.

Can someone please explain to me how 3D world is anything but a giant step back from that series? Nothing about this was remotely impressive to me, the level design was bland as was the overworld presentation. The mansion from Mario 64 was more engaging. It was going to be tough for Nintendo to top Mario GALAXY, I get that, but 3D World was just so drat boring. In platform games like this, levels have to either be engaging or challenging. I couldn't find anything like that throughout the whole game. Rarely did I have to attempt a level more than once, and there weren't any worlds that would warrant any interest in further exploration.

I guess my biggest question is, what's next?

In my mind, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy... all of those games, were massive steps forward in that the worlds they had in them were rich and worthy of exploration. The worlds had charm and personality. Then you have 3D world, and to me, the biggest tip off that this game regressed was the need for them to include a level timer. Why is there a level timer? Perhaps the better question is, why were there level timers in Galaxy et al? There weren't level timers because they didn't want you to rush, they designed a beautiful game that you were intended to be immersed in and enjoy.

I'm just confused. This felt like a small scale game that should not have cost 60 bucks. I'm not typically a complainer but it felt really wrong that about the only positive thing I got for that money were cat suits.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Excels posted:

it won't happen. nintendo paid for the game out of their own pockets

whats stopping Nintendo from publishing it for the PS4 huh?!??!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Does anyone actually give a poo poo about watch_dogs

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Chili posted:

So I was sick with the flu over the past week. I got a wiiu on the cheap in anticipation for Smash but I wasn't really planning on picking up any other games. But, as I was stuck at home and unable to go into work, I poked around, saw that Mario 3D World was very highly reviewed, and dropped 60 gently caress it dollars.

What a mistake.

I loved Mario Galaxy, both 1 and 2.

Can someone please explain to me how 3D world is anything but a giant step back from that series? Nothing about this was remotely impressive to me, the level design was bland as was the overworld presentation. The mansion from Mario 64 was more engaging. It was going to be tough for Nintendo to top Mario GALAXY, I get that, but 3D World was just so drat boring. In platform games like this, levels have to either be engaging or challenging. I couldn't find anything like that throughout the whole game. Rarely did I have to attempt a level more than once, and there weren't any worlds that would warrant any interest in further exploration.

I guess my biggest question is, what's next?

In my mind, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy... all of those games, were massive steps forward in that the worlds they had in them were rich and worthy of exploration. The worlds had charm and personality. Then you have 3D world, and to me, the biggest tip off that this game regressed was the need for them to include a level timer. Why is there a level timer? Perhaps the better question is, why were there level timers in Galaxy et al? There weren't level timers because they didn't want you to rush, they designed a beautiful game that you were intended to be immersed in and enjoy.

I'm just confused. This felt like a small scale game that should not have cost 60 bucks. I'm not typically a complainer but it felt really wrong that about the only positive thing I got for that money were cat suits.

Did you play it solo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

King of Solomon posted:

From a quick glance at Metacritic, Hyrule Warriors is getting pretty much the exact same reviews every other Warriors game gets. What did you expect?

I didn't expect anything, I don't want and won't buy Hyrule Warriors and didn't read any of the reviews, good or bad. I'm just challenging the idea that it's getting universal praise or even high praise relative to other musou games or that it's somehow immune from bad press because of the IP.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Widestancer posted:

Did you play it solo

Yeah, this. The WiiU is a whole lot better if you have a bunch of friends over regularly enough to play local co-op. I played through almost all of 3D world 4-player, and it's great when you aren't just dealing with the stage but also spending half of your time jumping on your friends head when he's trying to cross a gap :v:

Also the level design was good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Also the Mario games are the #1 driver for divorces in young adults since 2009.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Chili posted:

Level timers are there to encourage you not to stall. Champion Road is an extreme of that mentality, where the key to beating the level is "don't stop moving"

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Widestancer posted:

Did you play it solo

Yes. And I figured that was a problem.

I can get how this game would certainly be more appealing with more people playing it, but that doesn't seem like a reliable metric to judge a game by.

If the game is better with more people playing it, that says more about the company you keep than the game, doesn't it?

I don't know, I guess Mario isn't a really multiplayer experience to me. Christ, drat near every Mario included game is now being billed as multiplayer experience (kart, party, mario sports games, even smash). Can't the big platform iteration be left alone?

It just seems to me that when you make a game and insist that the experience will be enhanced by people jumping on each other's heads, you're copping out in a really big way. The single player experience of the vast, large levels of 64 and onwards were so remarkable. The Wiiu is a powerful system, capable of handling a game of even larger scale than Galaxy...

3D world just seemed to have no ambition, I won't argue that it's probably better multiplayer, not that I know as I played this game sick at home during work hours so I had nobody to play with, but what that means to me is that the developers took a back seat to the success of the game. They're essentially insisting that you have make the game fun by playing with people. That contrasts very strongly with Galaxy which was an out-of-the-box strong showing. It was nearly impossible to criticize the ambition and final product.

There are great multi-player games for the Wiiu, no doubt. I've enjoyed the hell out of Nintendoland and Mario Kart 8 with friends. I get that. But the Wiiu really oughta offer some good single player experiences too. I mean, I'm sure the new Zelda game in 2015 won't be billed as you play as Link and find 3 friend to accompany you as a Goron, a fairy, and deku nut!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Excels posted:

Level timers are there to encourage you not to stall. Champion Road is an extreme of that mentality, where the key to beating the level is "don't stop moving"

Right, I get that.

And for some levels, I don't mind that, in parts.

I think nearly every large level mario game had parts in it that were timed. But that wasn't the whole game. There'd be specific stars that required you to rush. But the other stars would allow you to enjoy the world.

And that's the key distinction, you don't mind the level timers in 3D World, because there's not really much to see. The level design may be efficient and practical, but there's just nothing to bring you back.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I feel the timer is an antiquated game component and is more of a lovely stressor when playing with others. Instead of taking our time and having fun we got the annoying "ah poo poo we have 100 seconds left.." feeling. The timer doesn't mean much when you're playing with people that are good at the game but there were quite a few times where we only had 10 seconds left in a level because we took our time.

At least give the option to disable it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mario games also still use "lives" which are pretty much non-existent in any other series.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i thought he was quoting someone else but those are real posts lol

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Praise Iwata

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lots of fake rear end gamers in here who can't handle timers

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Widestancer posted:

Rayman origin's timed stages were far more punishing than marios.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rayman origin's timed stages were far more punishing than marios.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

I think nearly every large level mario game had parts in it that were timed. But that wasn't the whole game. There'd be specific stars that required you to rush. But the other stars would allow you to enjoy the world.

And that's the key distinction, you don't mind the level timers in 3D World, because there's not really much to see. The level design may be efficient and practical, but there's just nothing to bring you back.

The timer's at 500 for 3D world, you don't really have to rush at all in that game. Also there's a bunch of time pickups across the level.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Timers are fine, flagpoles are fine, having fun with friends is fine, removing the triple jump is hosed up.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i played a rayman game once and i got the impression there's only one perfect run for each level cuz that's what the fireflies are for right? If you get all the fireflies you have mastered it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Excels posted:

i played a rayman game once and i got the impression there's only one perfect run for each level cuz that's what the fireflies are for right? If you get all the fireflies you have mastered it

Pretty much, yeah. A lot of the stages feel like they came out of an iOS game, or a DKC game that was choreographed so that nothing could actually hurt or impede you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Rayman Legends is fun. So is Super Mario 3D World. Two of the many fun games you can find for your Wii U Entertainment System. :)

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gawd. I like really need for Bayonetta and the Monolith game to come out to say my Wii U was totally worth it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

True gamers don't have to justify their purchases; they just know deep down that they did the right thing.

Be a true gamer.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

What about Kirby, or MK8, or Assassin's Creed IV? There are tons of good games on Wii U as has been confirmed by people itt

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I play Mario games to experience the sensation of inhabiting a living, breathing, beautiful world alive with joy, energy, and character. And in that sense, Mario Kart 8 does the most of any Mario game to date in creating a sense of a real living world.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

The Taint Reaper posted:

2015 will be one hell of a year for gaming.

bloodborne is stuck in 2009 :/

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Excels posted:

What about Kirby, or MK8, or Assassin's Creed IV? There are tons of good games on Wii U as has been confirmed by people itt

There's that sequel to Kirby Canvas Curse that's coming out on the Wii U next year and since Canvas Curse was great this should be great as well.

Mario Kart 8 is the best.

I have not played Assassin's Creed IV but it has pirates I guess and people like pirates and that's alright if you ask me.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's that sequel to Kirby Canvas Curse that's coming out on the Wii U next year and since Canvas Curse was great this should be great as well.

Mario Kart 8 is the best.

I have not played Assassin's Creed IV but it has pirates I guess and people like pirates and that's alright if you ask me.

I like your AV

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

conceitedguy posted:

And in that sense, Mario Kart 8 does the most of any Mario game to date in creating a sense of a real living world.

A living, breathing world full of assholes maybe

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Widestancer posted:

I like your AV

Thank you, I hope Jack Frost is in Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, coming soon to the Wii U. :3:

Your AV is cool as well, I hope there is a new Metroid game coming soon to the Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chili posted:

Right, I get that.

And for some levels, I don't mind that, in parts.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you've said about it. I had fun with it, but I was also disappointed because the reaction here was "This is the best Mario game ever made". I never had a Wii though, so I get to go back and experience Galaxy 1 and 2 for the first time.

I really wanted a robust exploration type game that they have been doing since Mario 64, only HD and bigger because of the added hardware. I got a 3D game with the mechanics of a 2D game. It was still fun, but I like my 2D games to be mad dashes for the end and my 3D games to be exploration of a big fun world.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Excels posted:

Mario games also still use "lives" which are pretty much non-existent in any other series.

Lives are great in Mario though, because if you run out, you get a number. The number doesn't actually do anything but it's shameful to just have, like a 4 year old cell phone or a bald spot.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Widestancer posted:

Timers can be fine, but they change the feel of a game as well its intention. When you strap a timer onto a game it becomes more about being efficient and less about exploring/enjoying.

Mario did not feel like a game that was meant to challenge or demand efficiency. But when you have a linear level design, if you don't put a timer on it, you run the risk that the player will ultimately realize just how little substance there is to a level. If you do have a timer, you insist that the player move somewhat briskly through the level, which will cause them to question if they left a stone unturned somewhere along the line.

And that presents another problem altogether. 3D world gives you bonus stars to collect in each level. Now let's say that in you first play through on a level you collect one star, that took awhile to collect because it was in a bonus room or whatever, and you missed the other two stars.

Now, you want to collect the other two stars, so you go back to the level, but you now do not need to worry about wasting time on that first star, which means that the balance in finding the other two is wasted. If the timer was meant to challenge you, so that finding these stars was made more difficult in a time crunch, that goes right out the window because the timer never changes.

If they wanted to make the timer mean something, what they could have done would be something along the lines of making only one star at a time obtainable in each playthrough of each level, and balance a time around that specific star. Now, that would be a terrible idea, and it would be very tedious and unenjoyable, but at least it would make sense within the context of timing the level.

Breaking it down even further; you could have unlocked every aspect of a level except for one small thing (I'm thinking about character exclusive buttons specifically) and now you want to go back to unlock that, but there's no challenge or anything remotely interesting about doing so. Because stepping on one button and getting to the end of the level in 500 seconds is utterly pointless and very easy to do.

It's not the timer ruins the game, or makes it impossible, it's just a pointless element to this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jesus christ you think too much about timers.

• Locked thread