Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

John Murdoch posted:

City of Heroes. :sigh:

I was gonna mention it but... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone getting roadside assistance simulator? Maybe it's just the description but it sounds like a pretty good game.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Harminoff posted:

Anyone getting roadside assistance simulator? Maybe it's just the description but it sounds like a pretty good game.

Part of me wants it, but I just picked up X-Plane 10 so I feel like I should wait... until somebody else gets it and says it fun, then I'll crack and buy it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tezzeract posted:

Maybe you played it on launch?

I've tried playing it many times and the game never clicked. It's fun leveling to 20 but then it feels like I've seen all the interesting bits of the game since the rest of the world is dead.

The game certainly had a really bad issue with empty starter areas after a few months from launch as the whole community was in the 80 areas but since they introduced the megaserver system a few months ago this is no longer an issue, all areas are now always populated.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 25, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Has anyone been playing Magicmaker?

The spellmaking is pretty fun especially when you get more of the stranger ingredients, so you can have a shot that leaves a trail of other shots that fire off randomly

Or a turret that fires swords that turn into doofy slime minions

Also there is a demo on the store page.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

This is douchey of me, but 0.5 is not the midpoint between -1 and 1.

No worries, mate. I wasn't aiming for a midpoint but a positive skew. I was going for
  • This was a bad game through I was kinda bored throughout
  • The positives slightly outweigh the negatives through Overall, I'd say this game was 'yeah, alright' but it never really grabbed me/made me enthusiastic
  • This was a good+ game and I will actively recommend people play it

I figure a '0' in a -1 to 1 scale may as well not be worth a vote. This way you have "I didn't like it," "yeah, I guess it was okay," "Okay, this is a really fun game."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 25, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

John Murdoch posted:

Important question: Do you actually have critical strikes unlocked yet? The game doesn't pony them up until about half way through, after you fight a boss in what is technically an optional side mission. Because Origins has some really, really loving stupid design decisions.

If you're otherwise seeing critical hits pop up before that, you're probably getting critical counters, which you get well before critical strikes for some reason.

Edit: I think you're actually on my friends list and according to the cheevos right on my activity feed you must have them unlocked already, so nevermind, I got nothin'. :v:

Yeah, there's a lot of moronic design decisions in the game, which makes an okay to great game unnecessary frustrating at times.

I've completed everything sans some remaining Enigma data packets. It's strange, because I've landed lots and lots of 20 or 30 critical hits in a row, and just fought off a gang of thugs and got a 61 combo, and there was "Critical Strike" flashing for every single strike for maybe the 30 or 40 last hits. Still not registering.

Same goes for Predator challenge #3, were you're supposed to lure a thug with your sonic batarang. I've lured a guy and taken him down silently, once from a gargoyle (inverted takedown) and even started up a training predator session and tried the same things there, and it just won't register.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hey Humble Store, Ethan Carter is out in 2 hours, give me my key already! :argh: I hate how Humble waits until launch to give out keys.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hey Humble Store, Ethan Carter is out in 2 hours, give me my key already! :argh: I hate how Humble waits until launch to give out keys.

I got it on Steam but I can't preload so you're not missing much.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I never realized there were so many Minecraft and Terraria clones on Steam. God drat.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm surprised by how far-reaching Pewdiepie is. I've never watched a single one of his videos, yet I see him mentioned all the time. I recently tried out that Double Action: Boogaloo mod and ran in to a group of people chatting and talking in the weirdest way. There was an air of weird nerd smugness, I can't quite explain it. Then they eventually started talking about how they were playing the game because they saw Pewdiepie playing it in one of his videos. It was an odd experience.

Know why I'm cool? I still don't know how that name is even pronounced. I've never seen his crap, nor heard anyone talk about it.

Except Robbaz, and his pronunciations don't count. People constantly ask if he's met Pewdiepie. The worst part is, he has. Begin the long lines of people saying they need to make SwedeCast or whatever. Because everyone from Sweden is the same so of course they'd get along. Because the sort of person who says this hasn't actually met any other human beings before aside from the ones who try to avoid them in school. Point being, yeah the personality cults on YT are awful. I like Robbaz because, while hilarious, he's in many ways much better than me at videogames so I can pick up tips, while he's also completely awful at them so there are laughs to be had. It's a nice mix, and not just people screaming for hours on end.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are MetaCritic scores that much of a loss? MetaCritic managed to take the already laughable state of professional game reviewing and mangle what little sense it made with a godawful conversion of everything to a 100 point scale.

I don't see what the problem is, and question whether you're one of those people who has to have reviews in YOUR PREFERRED FORMAT whether it's stars or whatever. I used to do a lot of movie forums and the arguments about four stars versus 1-10 are not only ridiculously common but universally poo poo. The guy that mentioned -1 to 1, that's seriously maths that a small child can do in their head. Don't be that guy. Now Meta's arbitrary point of what's good/bad/"universal acclaim"...

The only thing that I care about, is that they aggregate scores into whatever format, so it's easy to get a feel for the general numbers a game is getting. If you're reasonable, you should then look into why the game is getting those numbers, not just whatever score it has. That's how the numbers acquire meaning, not just because they exist.

Movie example, Doomsday has a RottenTomatoes of 49%. Now this could be -.01%, or it should be two stars, whatever. It's a bad score. But, the reason it has that score is that it's a horribly stupid movie that could have gotten a much lower score, but it manages to pull of some good fun and hell yeah moments. And that's the sort of movie I wanted to see when it came out, so I watched it, and as expected yes it's a terrible movie but it had some good fun. That's how you should use a score aggregation website. You need to know both the score, and the general opinion of how that score was obtained.

e: Additional point, score aggregation is always better than any score in isolation because of this. You want to know what trends are behind a score. You might totally disagree with the end score, or with a camp who are giving over/underinflated numbers, but with an aggregate you should be able to discern where those divisions lie. Steam does not always do a very good job of this, because the "most recommended" reviews are often lovely joke reviews. gently caress joke reviews. It was old years before George Takei started reposting them to his Facebook.

Eruonen posted:

I never realized there were so many Minecraft and Terraria clones on Steam. God drat.

Literally XLBA.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

I work in that business, so I kinda want to get it just to look through the looking glass. However, there is no buy option for me (in the UK) and there is no community hub that I can see. Release date shows yesterday.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm also proud when I don't know how to pronounce things.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Eruonen posted:

I'm also proud when I don't know how to pronounce things.

Glad to have you by my side. Er. Eru. Ee-roo-oh-nen?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Glad to have you by my side. Er. Eru. Ee-roo-oh-nen?

Spot on!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Know why I'm cool? I still don't know how that name is even pronounced. I've never seen his crap, nor heard anyone talk about it.

That doesn't actually make you cool but congrats.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The fact that he even knew who I was talking about invalidates the whole thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

revdrkevind posted:

Literally XLBA.

I've seen the darker sides of XBLIG before. Steam isn't XBLIG until it starts selling a dungeon-crawling RPG wizardry clone where you fight half-naked elemental anime girls for ten bucks.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

revdrkevind posted:

I don't see what the problem is, and question whether you're one of those people who has to have reviews in YOUR PREFERRED FORMAT whether it's stars or whatever. I used to do a lot of movie forums and the arguments about four stars versus 1-10 are not only ridiculously common but universally poo poo. The guy that mentioned -1 to 1, that's seriously maths that a small child can do in their head. Don't be that guy. Now Meta's arbitrary point of what's good/bad/"universal acclaim"...

The only thing that I care about, is that they aggregate scores into whatever format, so it's easy to get a feel for the general numbers a game is getting. If you're reasonable, you should then look into why the game is getting those numbers, not just whatever score it has. That's how the numbers acquire meaning, not just because they exist.

Movie example, Doomsday has a RottenTomatoes of 49%. Now this could be -.01%, or it should be two stars, whatever. It's a bad score. But, the reason it has that score is that it's a horribly stupid movie that could have gotten a much lower score, but it manages to pull of some good fun and hell yeah moments. And that's the sort of movie I wanted to see when it came out, so I watched it, and as expected yes it's a terrible movie but it had some good fun. That's how you should use a score aggregation website. You need to know both the score, and the general opinion of how that score was obtained.

e: Additional point, score aggregation is always better than any score in isolation because of this. You want to know what trends are behind a score. You might totally disagree with the end score, or with a camp who are giving over/underinflated numbers, but with an aggregate you should be able to discern where those divisions lie. Steam does not always do a very good job of this, because the "most recommended" reviews are often lovely joke reviews. gently caress joke reviews. It was old years before George Takei started reposting them to his Facebook.

i have 10 fingers, so the metacritic score relates to the totality of the carpal tunnel i get on both hands when playing a game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Colonel posted:

I've seen the darker sides of XBLIG before. Steam isn't XBLIG until it starts selling a dungeon-crawling RPG wizardry clone where you fight half-naked elemental anime girls for ten bucks.

Give it a few weeks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

revdrkevind posted:

Literally XLBA.

They've got Wii homebrew games as well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

No, I mean they do stupid rear end poo poo when converting to the 100 point scale so what they assign to the review often doesn't match up with what the review says. IIRC they do something like 10-30-50-70-90 for FDCBA if the site uses letter grades, just poo poo like that. I've read reviews where the site praises the game, gives it a mid-high rating and MetaCritic decides that that translates to a 40 or something. Translating to a 100 point scale is fine, as long as the conversion reflects the review properly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are MetaCritic scores that much of a loss? MetaCritic managed to take the already laughable state of professional game reviewing and mangle what little sense it made with a godawful conversion of everything to a 100 point scale.
Generally speaking removing options from Steam is not good, yes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I never knew the Steam client had skins. Wow.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Palpek posted:

Generally speaking removing options from Steam is not good, yes.

It's not really an option, though, more of a guide. You can look up MC scores whether or not steam displays them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The point was that the option of listing games in Steam browser by metacritic score has been removed, why do you think this has been even brought up?

It's also not important whether somebody personally cares about metacritic or not - something has been removed that allowed me to browse steam's massive store in another way and the reason for it vanishing is that it most likely hurt sales.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Oh woe is me what ever will I do without the "list games by Metacritic score" function. I mean, it's not like they also added a metric fuckton more ways to find games right?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You don't really need Metacritic now that you can just read my excellent curations that will quickly and easily inform you of how many anime boobs there is in any given game, which will always be the sole metric you should judge a game by.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Metacritic is useful for identifying particularly terrible movies/games at a glance though. "Hmmm, what's this game? 20 on metacritic? Safe to skip"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Oh woe is me what ever will I do without the "list games by Metacritic score" function. I mean, it's not like they also added a metric fuckton more ways to find games right?

Oh yes, by tag, thank goodness for that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Everyone knows Time To Crate is the One True Review Metric.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
It's really hosed up that in 2014 Steam would remove the list games by Metacritic score thing. This will surely hurt Steam sales. Nearly all PC game consumers take extreme note of a games metacritic score.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Palpek posted:

The point was that the option of listing games in Steam browser by metacritic score has been removed, why do you think this has been even brought up?

It's also not important whether somebody personally cares about metacritic or not - something has been removed that allowed me to browse steam's massive store in another way and the reason for it vanishing is that it most likely hurt sales.

Oh, fair enough. I'm not sure you're right about it hurting sales, though.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

It's really hosed up that in 2014 Steam would remove the list games by Metacritic score thing. This will surely hurt Steam sales. Nearly all PC game consumers take extreme note of a games metacritic score.

It will probably help sales actually since games won't have a big "14/100" on their store page anymore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

You gettin' awfully mad 'bout people wanting another quick and easy way to source recommendations.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Drifter posted:

You gettin' awfully mad 'bout people wanting another quick and easy way to source recommendations.

You're right, I bet he's steaming furious about it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm just happy they added (or I discovered) a way to remove pre-orders and early access titles from the front page aggregator. It's full of interesting games now, rather than full of "Pre-order now to receive Team Fortress hats!" and "when this game is done it will be totally awesome, we swear, give us money."

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

Lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rukus posted:

I'm really enjoying it, but I also really liked DG1. They've added some new towers, such as the boost, which you build other towers on top of. There's also multiple AIs which each has a different super/laser weapon and they also have some pretty amusing conversations. I haven't done anything other than single-player, but it looks like there's multiplayer stuff, too. I'd recommend it right now, even more so when it goes on sale.

Ah cool. Does it have Co-Op build mode then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm not gonna be happy until someone puts Slime Volleyball up.

• Locked thread