Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

icantfindaname posted:

I think the 'problem' is that Soos is basically a caricature himself, so they can't really have him do believable character growth.
The tricky part about Soos-centric plots is that Soos has no hidden depth to dig into, because he wears absolutely everything right on the surface at all times. He has plenty of character, but it's all right there on display. If you want to know what Soos is really thinking, you just ask and you'll get it. Or more likely he's already saying it out loud right now. That's the problem with him and trying to woo (real) women, he just says whatever is right there on his mind and then isn't entirely sure out why that didn't win them over.

"Your face is good, I'm a Soos," isn't a very good pick-up line, but you have to admit it does get right to the point. He actually hardly ever displays any insecurities or inner issues, and seems almost entirely confident in himself. As for getting dates, that seemed less like some deep insecurity about dating and more like panic over Grandma giving him a short deadline to suddenly use a skill he just didn't really have.

In the end the solution wasn't to change Soos at all. The solution was to find a woman who actually liked what he had to offer, the kind who would see a guy riding a kiddy choo-choo ride at the mall and decide she wanted to talk to him.

CelticPredator posted:

Dipper Vs. Manliness owns because of that killer montage.
I think we can all agree that show is the king of montage music.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mmm, I'd say Regular Show has that one, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DcMmknay0Q

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

CelticPredator posted:

Mmm, I'd say Regular Show has that one, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DcMmknay0Q

"That better be Working Fo-"

That's some good linking skills, my man. :toot:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was that one, or Mississippi Queen. The latter sold me on the show forever, so gently caress it, I'mma post it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHP5Z7RZcA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Who wants to get baaaaadgeeeeered

Speaking of Five Nights at Freddy's

The guy who made this is one of the better fan artists though he definitely pushes it sometimes

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It was that one, or Mississippi Queen. The latter sold me on the show forever, so gently caress it, I'mma post it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHP5Z7RZcA

I've never been able to get into that show, but those two videos have me intrigued.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man what the gently caress Dipper vs Manliness is awesome. I was completely enamored by the two different animations styles mixed together. I'm really excited for the next episode where they mix their hand drawn animation with claymation.

Plus this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYrOPV17h78

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Man what the gently caress Dipper vs Manliness is awesome. I was completely enamored by the two different animations styles mixed together. I'm really excited for the next episode where they mix their hand drawn animation with claymation.

That's Fight Fighters....???

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh wow I'm dumb, I got the titles mixed up. This whole time I was confused as gently caress why everyone was hating on the Rumble McSkirmish episode

Well okay then I can see why people wouldn't like Dipper vs Manliness. Though Mabel's face when she says "you're not exactly MANLY MANINGTON" is amazing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the voice-cracking mixtape was that episode, but it was actually the incredible bottomless pit episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc5D1UulGM

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
This show is kind of odd about not closing things off at the end of an episode, like most shows would. The characters just seem to lose interest in whatever crazy crap they found last week, despite some of it being fascinating and useful. (and in the cases where Stan knows, potentially marketable)

Dipper still knows how to find a Multi-Bear, a whole race of Manotaurs, a horrifying mutant cow, and a cave full of dinosaurs. It shouldn't be hard to find the shrink/grow crystals again, since Journal #3 led him right to that. The cloning photocopier is still in the shack and working, as far as we know. The mind-switching Electron Carpet was taken away by Stan, but presumably it's still intact in the basement. They still have access to the Author's underground lab, as long as they don't let the shapeshifter out. (in fact, they should probably be going there on occasion just to be sure he's still secured) Dipper should still have, or at least know how to find the code to summon any of the Fight Fighters out of their arcade machine. There's a spare U.S. President out there doing something. Dipper also has a key that can (supposedly) open any lock, and knows now that peanut brittle can be used for suspended animation...

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a cartoon.
Obviously, yeah. I just mean that most shows or stories go out of their way to show logically why they can't ever use X again, usually because X was destroyed, lost, never worked again, etc. It amuses me that this show just does not care about that. It also means that, in a pinch, the Pines have a lot of weird resources they could potentially call upon.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's a cartoon.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

can anyone make a gif of old goldy getting a nickel? i'd like a new avatar

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Robot Hobo posted:

This show is kind of odd about not closing things off at the end of an episode, like most shows would. The characters just seem to lose interest in whatever crazy crap they found last week, despite some of it being fascinating and useful. (and in the cases where Stan knows, potentially marketable)

All of those are now solved issues (except for the shapeshifter), so Dipper has lost interest. Stan is savvy enough not to put actual supernatural stuff in the gift shop. On purpose anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They could be setting up a gag where every single one of those hooks is used within about 30 seconds.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Robot Hobo posted:

My favorite thing about Boss Mable is Dipper thinking Stan is dumb for using cheap gimmicks in the shack, going out and finding an actual supernatural creature to use instead, and it failing spectacularly.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Alan Smithee posted:

Who wants to get baaaaadgeeeeered

Speaking of Five Nights at Freddy's

The guy who made this is one of the better fan artists though he definitely pushes it sometimes

This guy have a site? I would like to see more.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Alright, I'd say this my favourite episode so far. With just enough winks to the more adult audience, it teaches a valuable lesson to kids without being too preachy or hard to decipher (har-har). Yes, Adventure Time, I'm looking at you. And on top of that it was plain fun to watch to the very last second of the credits song.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a visual reference to Snatcher?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You know, I thought about Mabel's first line from the episode ("I'm leaving everything to Waddles") and I realized that we haven't seen Waddles much this season, have we?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

You know, I thought about Mabel's first line from the episode ("I'm leaving everything to Waddles") and I realized that we haven't seen Waddles much this season, have we?

Not a ton, but Hirsch has mentioned that it's going to come up at some point that Mabel won't be able to bring Waddles home. Dunno if it'll be this season or what.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

More Waddles, you say?

quote:

Neil deGrasse Tyson will be voicing a super intelligent Waddles in an all new Gravity Falls.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

:stare:

Holy crap that's going to be amazing.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Why does no one like Dipper vs. Manliness? It's got BABBA and the Multibear and those stupid tattoos. My only real complaint is that Mabel's plan to get Stan a date seems less realistic than Dipper hanging out with a bunch of minotaurs.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Because it's Dipper trying to impress a girl, which was the third time they've done that, and the episode was structured really terribly to make that actually work.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Oh, hey Rumble McSkirmish.
Giffany straight up killed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcmbA1Fp7Y

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

don Jaime posted:

Why does no one like Dipper vs. Manliness? It's got BABBA and the Multibear and those stupid tattoos. My only real complaint is that Mabel's plan to get Stan a date seems less realistic than Dipper hanging out with a bunch of minotaurs.

It just didn't seem to gel very well. The Manotuars weren't particularly funny on their own, nor was Mabel's plan. Seems like a good concept, but it didn't quite have the wit we're accustomed to. It did have BABBA, but that's kind of a weak joke (I mean, it is just one extra letter.)

Whereas with this episode, you can argue it was a pretty cliche story, but it had plenty of humor and little references to keep people entertained.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BigRed0427 posted:

This guy have a site? I would like to see more.

http://moringmark.tumblr.com/

http://markmak.deviantart.com/

Like i said, There's some cute stuff and there's some borderline questionable stuff (in a nudge nudge wink wink kinda way)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thought that mother fucker hated Gravity. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Robot Hobo posted:

Also, adding any more nuance to Giffany makes it a bit less like Soos bravely stopped an evil computer program and a bit more like he just burned a teenage girl to death in a pizza oven.

Even what we got had me kind of unsettled, honestly? I mean, someone tried to murder Giffany not long after she was born, and she's been completely cut out of someone else's life at least twice. Was she coded evil or is that something she had to learn? The fact that she isn't going for revenge on her previous owners makes the latter a little more likely, maybe?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Once a bunny boiler always a bunny boiler, rip that band aid off right quick

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a cartoon.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is this the first anomalous thing that's not from Gravity Falls? I mean, it's not like they say where it was programmed, and it'd be a little odd if it was made overseas and somehow coincidentally wound up in a shop in a town that happens to have all this crazy crap going on, but it seemed like it was the first thing that wasn't directly tied to the fact that Gravity Falls seems to be the hotspot for all this weird crap. We haven't really seen much evidence that the rest of the world has the same sort of supernatural shenanigans.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

The fact that she isn't going for revenge on her previous owners makes the latter a little more likely, maybe?

There's a very good chance this is because she's already murdered them.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Mortanis posted:

Is this the first anomalous thing that's not from Gravity Falls? I mean, it's not like they say where it was programmed, and it'd be a little odd if it was made overseas and somehow coincidentally wound up in a shop in a town that happens to have all this crazy crap going on, but it seemed like it was the first thing that wasn't directly tied to the fact that Gravity Falls seems to be the hotspot for all this weird crap. We haven't really seen much evidence that the rest of the world has the same sort of supernatural shenanigans.

- Mermando was captured in the Gulf of Mexico (IIRC?) and brought to Gravity Falls by creepy fishermen. According to him, anyway.
- All of the crazy secret US history in Irrational Treasure is a nationwide thing.
- Time Baby/the Paradox Enforcement squad/etc.
- Fight Fighters was presumably manufactured elsewhere, though it could have been "modified" in Gravity Falls.
- Sev'ral Timez were on tour, meaning they were first cloned somewhere else.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Maybe Gravity Falls is just a big weird-magnet. They don't even know they're being drawn to it, it's just something that pulls at them.

Regarding all the supernatural things they seem to have forgotten about, I could also totally see Gravity Falls pulling a Fringe (or Doctor McNinja) and using all the Little Bads to fight the Big Bad at some point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I didn't actually notice this in the show. That blink is an amazing design decision.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

I didn't actually notice this in the show. That blink is an amazing design decision.

That's fanart.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Wendy was hilarious this episode. " This is literally too dumb for me to care about"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The Red Queen posted:

Maybe Gravity Falls is just a big weird-magnet. They don't even know they're being drawn to it, it's just something that pulls at them.

Regarding all the supernatural things they seem to have forgotten about, I could also totally see Gravity Falls pulling a Fringe (or Doctor McNinja) and using all the Little Bads to fight the Big Bad at some point.

They've already shown they're perfectly willing to do this, back when they tried to use the Gnomes from the first episode against Gideon in the season finale. It's not really a question of if all the stuff from old episodes show up, but rather how much and when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I don't get is what's up with the note that was on it.

Note posted:

Destroy at all costs! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If destroying the disk would fix the problem, why wouldn't you just destroy the disk instead of putting a note on it?

• Locked thread