Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kurnugia posted:

Actually, I'm a scientist. Not a climate scientist though, biology.

Great, there's one. Anyone else? Arkane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess we should :gas: the thread since it evidently doesn't satisfy Radbots posting quality standards.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I'm a weed scientist

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I'm a weed scientist

Our botany department has a certain distinct odour if you know what I mean

they have a major aphid infestation

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kurnugia posted:

I guess we should :gas: the thread since it evidently doesn't satisfy Radbots posting quality standards.

Why would we do that? Who doesn't enjoy laypeople slapfighting over the axis of a graph they don't remotely understand?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Also a scientist (Materials science i.e. solid state physics/physical chemistry stuff), though I rarely post in here.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I'm an Atmospheric Scientist & Physicist, this is a good thread, and Arkane is hilarious.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Radbot posted:

I'm also a scientist, but again not climate-related (solar cell design).

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm an Atmospheric Scientist & Physicist, this is a good thread, and Arkane is hilarious.

I don't know if it means that I'm a moron, but I find Arkane's posts completely incomprehensible.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
[quote="Arkane" post=""43529"]
Because it dovetails with their politics!

As Naomi Klein so succinctly put in her new book, "I have long been greatly concerned about the science of global warming – but I was propelled into a deeper engagement with it partly because I realized it could be a catalyst for forms of social and economic justice in which I already believed."
[/quote]

I really do love when people say thing like this. It shows how strong a role politics plays a role on their own opposition to climate change.

And yes, I do understand what Klein wrote. I think it is just a little hypocritical to say "it dovetails with their politics" while pretending you're just some standing up for sound science.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 23, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Klein literally sounds like an honest, anti-Arkane in that quote.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Then you run into the other problem, there being a finite amount of oil in the Earth. You can't handwave the problem away with technology.

We can make hydrocarbons out of seawater. This is an energy intensive process but it puts an upper bound on the price of oil, and guarantees we will never run out.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

We can make hydrocarbons out of seawater. This is an energy intensive process but it puts an upper bound on the price of oil, and guarantees we will never run out.

"Running out of oil" in this thread's context means running out of (cheap) oil that is an energy source.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Fame Douglas posted:

"Running out of oil" in this thread's context means running out of (cheap) oil that is an energy source.

The discussion of running out of economical oil is moot compared to our current impacts on the carbon cycle. The timescales are different.

Proven reserves of oil have been rising dramatically in the US, for example, because of the tight oil boom (a technological shift in the supply curve). Meanwhile, carbon-equivilent emissions abatement is far below our target. We don't have time to wait for oil to become to expensive to use due to resource constraints (however, a carbon tax on the other hand....).

Because we've survived worse. The prospects for everyone dying are slim, it just will suck perhaps lethally so for wide swaths of humanity depending on how long we wait for true systemic action.
\/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 23, 2014

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the question I keep asking myself is, do I have reason not to be utterly pessimistic about the prospects of humanity to survive this century on Earth?

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Kurnugia posted:

So the question I keep asking myself is, do I have reason not to be utterly pessimistic about the prospects of humanity to survive this century on Earth?

This is an absurd sentiment, imo. Imagine how the prospects of human survival looked to survivors of the Black Death, or the white house staffers during the cuban missile crisis who told their relatives to flee to the countryside. The reality is we don't really know what the future holds, as has always been the case.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Kurnugia posted:

Don't worry, there's no chance of us going extinct this century or the next solely on account of climate change. Don't forget, even stripped of all our technology, we're still the most badass predators on the block, and survived poo poo like the Toba catastrophe at a time before we were firmly entrenched in every corner of the globe. Humanity will live on. (But dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed :unsmigghh:)

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Another (non-climate) scientist checking in. I've read the Chen and Tung paper, and I'm just going to quote their conclusion since the article itself is not publicly available:

quote:

Conclusion
The fact that the global-mean temperature, along with that of every major ocean basin, has not increased for the past 15 years, as they should in the presence of continuing radiative forcing, requires a planetary sink for the excess heat. Although the tropical Pacific is the source of large interannual fluctuations caused by the exchange of heat in its shallow tropical layer, the current slowdown is in addition associated with larger decadal changes in the deeper layers of the Atlantic and the Southern oceans. The next El Niño, when it occurs in a year or so, may temporarily interrupt the hiatus, but, because the planetary heat sinks in the Atlantic and the Southern Oceans remain intact, the hiatus should continue on a decadal time scale. When the internal variability that is responsible for the current hiatus switches sign, as it inevitably will, another episode of accelerated global warming should ensue.

No-one here is arguing that the relative stasis of global mean surface temperatures in any way casts doubt on anthropogenic global warming; the main contention of the authors is that the Atlantic Ocean may be playing a larger role in storing heat than previously thought, where the majority of opinion had previously regarded the influence of the Pacific as being the major player. It would appear from some follow-up papers that not all climate scientists agree with Chen and Tung's contention, but I'll leave that argument for the scientists who are actually qualified to make it.

The big take home here is that last sentence. No-one, aside from this thread's resident village idiot, thinks that this phenomenon of heat storage in the ocean is "nice", and none of this buys us any time.

Radbot posted:

Klein literally sounds like an honest, anti-Arkane in that quote.

There's an obvious, huge difference here, right? Klein started from a leftist position, interested in dismantling global capitalism. As she became familiar with with the science behind the study of climate change, she took the position that climate change was a real crisis that required immediate address, and that global capitalism is both a major contributing factor to AGW and an impediment to the implementation of any viable solutions. Arkane, on the other hand, subscribes to a socio-economic philosophy that is inconsistent with the scientific consensus, and so spends his time trying to sow doubt and discredit scientists by flinging poo poo around like a toddler. There's an ever-so-slight difference between the two.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok so maybe I like hyperbole, sue me. To rephrase, do I have any reason not to be utterly pessimistic about the prospects of technological civilization surviving this century?

SKELETONS posted:

This is an absurd sentiment, imo. Imagine how the prospects of human survival looked to survivors of the Black Death, or the white house staffers during the cuban missile crisis who told their relatives to flee to the countryside. The reality is we don't really know what the future holds, as has always been the case.

An imminent existential crisis is I think a bit different from the prospect of running out of planet to live on. You can just not launch the nukes, a decision which people have had to take on an occasion, but the possibility of the global amount of arable land shrinking by however many percentages due to rapidly changing weather patterns and causing worldwide famine isn't really something you can do anything about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kurnugia posted:

Ok so maybe I like hyperbole, sue me. To rephrase, do I have any reason not to be utterly pessimistic about the prospects of technological civilization surviving this century?

This too is pretty absurd. Why would we have to give up on technological civilization? Canada and Russia will at the very least be doing quite well for the foreseeable future.

Kurnugia posted:

the possibility of the global amount of arable land shrinking by however many percentages due to rapidly changing weather patterns and causing worldwide famine isn't really something you can do anything about.

Except make new farm land, grow different crops, build greenhouses, have a few million/billion people starve while the rich eat grapes, etc etc etc

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

When does it stop being

Trabisnikof posted:

Except make new farm land, grow different crops, build greenhouses, have a few million/billion people starve while the rich eat grapes, etc etc etc

Exactly. Humanity as a thing isn't going anywhere. Bangladesh on the other hand.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

This too is pretty absurd. Why would we have to give up on technological civilization? Canada and Russia will at the very least be doing quite well for the foreseeable future.

Would they? You look at the weight the current crisis' of migrations of people out of Africa and the Middle-East put on places like the EU and then multiply that by however much worse that poo poo is going to get when those places really start experiencing drought and famine, do you think there'd be a nation on Earth that wouldn't be dearly tested by that?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Kurnugia posted:

What makes you think that all of our technology and knowledge will evaporate, even if growth trends reverse and we suffer massive global depopulation? We've stored and copied all the knowledge of the industrial revolution millions of times over, it's not going anywhere. As long as humans survive and can access that knowledge, civilization will continue to exist.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurnugia posted:

Would they? You look at the weight the current crisis' of migrations of people out of Africa and the Middle-East put on places like the EU and then multiply that by however much worse that poo poo is going to get when those places really start experiencing drought and famine, do you think there'd be a nation on Earth that wouldn't be dearly tested by that?

Russia is probably going to be shooting a lot of people (hell, Canada might too). They're quite good at it. Civilization will keep going, and god drat will it be hideous.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

I don't think this is absurd at all -- it's perhaps not a done deal, but I do think there's a decent chance that technological human civilization won't make it out of the century. A +2°C stabilization, which we're not on target to hit, is pretty bad already from the perspective of agriculture as well as poorer countries. I think there's fairly compelling evidence to suggest that the global power structure is going to shift in a rather major way as the current American empire falls, and assuming the world goes through the usual post-empire power grab routine, it seems unlikely that climate change will be a top priority (which is basically has to be at this point).

All this crap about us being top predators is basically irrelevant. The fossil record is littered with now-extinct top predators.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kurnugia posted:

But why are you working from the assumption that immigration policies wouldn't change in response to migration pressure? Like they did in Australia.

At the end of the day I think you need to define dearly tested. I think that adaptation and geo-engineering will both be costs and destabilizing factors that might contribute to a few nation-states collapse (sorry Micronesia), but there are many other pressures and I don't see adaptation even being the biggest. Nations have done crazy poo poo before and they'll do it again. Survival is likely, its just not likely fun.

Humanity is choosing to activate hard mode on Earth because those with power believe they can profit (not just in money) more from doing so than not. The implication of this is that those in power are also betting their power structures will remain. Davos will still be nice even if you can't ski.

Benny Profane posted:

I don't think this is absurd at all -- it's perhaps not a done deal, but I do think there's a decent chance that technological human civilization won't make it out of the century. A +2°C stabilization, which we're not on target to hit, is pretty bad already from the perspective of agriculture as well as poorer countries. I think there's fairly compelling evidence to suggest that the global power structure is going to shift in a rather major way as the current American empire falls, and assuming the world goes through the usual post-empire power grab routine, it seems unlikely that climate change will be a top priority (which is basically has to be at this point).

All this crap about us being top predators is basically irrelevant. The fossil record is littered with now-extinct top predators.

I think the leaps from +2C to collapse of American Hegemony to collapse of global order to collapse of technological society are a little under supported. Complications from adaptation will lead towards a further need for technology and we might see the collapse of non-technological societies if soil amendments become mandatory as we shift away from the best soil areas due to rainfall changes. If we increase resource costs it is those without a technological advantage who will find it more difficult to survive.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2014

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

But why are you working from the assumption that immigration policies wouldn't change in response to migration pressure? Like they did in Australia.

As an Australian citizen, I shudder to think that Australia's immigration policies are being held up as exemplary. What Australia has done, and continues to do, to refugees fleeing genuine horror, is really nothing short of a complete failure of human compassion and good will.

Trabisnikof posted:

At the end of the day I think you need to define dearly tested. I think that adaptation and geo-engineering will both be costs and destabilizing factors that might contribute to a few nation-states collapse (sorry Micronesia), but there are many other pressures and I don't see adaptation even being the biggest. Nations have done crazy poo poo before and they'll do it again. Survival is likely, its just not likely fun.

Sure, but the thing being argued here was whether or not or technological civilization was going to make it -- look how many human societies have risen and fallen throughout the relatively short period of time within which humans have been wandering around. What exactly gives you confidence that this society that we currently belong to is somehow, unlike the empires that have preceded it, immune to collapse?

Trabisnikof posted:

Humanity is choosing to activate hard mode on Earth because those with power believe they can profit (not just in money) more from doing so than not. The implication of this is that those in power are also betting their power structures will remain. Davos will still be nice even if you can't ski.

I would argue a number of points here, including (01) humanity is making a conscious choice here, (02) it's a "hard mode" that's being activated, rather than creating a set of conditions that make winning impossible, and (03) that there are actually people that hold power in the current global societal structure that are actually able but unwilling to make changes that would avert a climate catastrophe.

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the leaps from +2C to collapse of American Hegemony to collapse of global order to collapse of technological society are a little under supported. Complications from adaptation will lead towards a further need for technology and we might see the collapse of non-technological societies if soil amendments become mandatory as we shift away from the best soil areas due to rainfall changes. If we increase resource costs it is those without a technological advantage who will find it more difficult to survive.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that +2C means that the American Empire will collapse, I think those are two separate things. I do think the timing is unfortunate, though. As for technological solutions, I'm personally pessimistic about their long term viability for keeping humans around and dominant on Earth, but I suppose time will tell.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Benny Profane posted:

As an Australian citizen, I shudder to think that Australia's immigration policies are being held up as exemplary. What Australia has done, and continues to do, to refugees fleeing genuine horror, is really nothing short of a complete failure of human compassion and good will.

And I would agree that ignoring climate change is a complete failure of human compassion and good will.

Benny Profane posted:

Sure, but the thing being argued here was whether or not or technological civilization was going to make it -- look how many human societies have risen and fallen throughout the relatively short period of time within which humans have been wandering around. What exactly gives you confidence that this society that we currently belong to is somehow, unlike the empires that have preceded it, immune to collapse?

Ah, see I'm not arguing that any specific society or empire will survive, just that humans with technological society will. When I say Canada and Russia will be fine, I'm not really contending that the states and societies that occupy that land today will continue, just that human society with technology will continue there, from a GCC perspective.

Benny Profane posted:

I would argue a number of points here, including (01) humanity is making a conscious choice here, (02) it's a "hard mode" that's being activated, rather than creating a set of conditions that make winning impossible, and (03) that there are actually people that hold power in the current global societal structure that are actually able but unwilling to make changes that would avert a climate catastrophe.

I agree that's a complicated argument, but I really use "choice" here as a proxy for the complex decision-making super-structure that is the complex of all human decision-making. Through our societies, institutions, and individuals we are collectively making a bunch of choices all to some degree of consciousness which is having the impact of ignoring global warming.

If you're arguing GCC will make human technological society impossible, I'd like to know what exactly makes you so sure of that.

Likewise, from the perspective of the construct of society, any change is possible even if within that construct there is no willingness. I'm being vague because I'm completely unsure about the future path of these constructs. Who knows what society will look like in even 20 years?

Benny Profane posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to say that +2C means that the American Empire will collapse, I think those are two separate things. I do think the timing is unfortunate, though. As for technological solutions, I'm personally pessimistic about their long term viability for keeping humans around and dominant on Earth, but I suppose time will tell.

But where does the pessimism come from? Malthusian resource arguments? Technological obliteration? A race condition over resources that we'll fail to escape in time (e.g. we don't invest in space enough)?

Really, pessimism about the long-term survival of humanity is the best argument against mitigation, adaptation, and geo-engineering. Why fix the climate if we're all going to die anyway....

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

If you're arguing GCC will make human technological society impossible, I'd like to know what exactly makes you so sure of that.

I'm definitely not arguing that that GCC will make human technological society impossible. Kurnugia asked whether s/he had any reason not to be utterly pessimistic, and this was called absurd. I disagree; while I don't know that we are absolutely doomed (i.e. giving reason to be utterly pessimistic), I certainly think there's a decent chance that if humans fail to address GCC in a meaningful way that our current society could well collapse. I think the perspective that "no matter what, humans will survive in some way with their technology intact" is dangerous, in that it doesn't stress the absolute need for immediate and significant action.

Trabisnikof posted:

But where does the pessimism come from? Malthusian resource arguments? Technological obliteration? A race condition over resources that we'll fail to escape in time (e.g. we don't invest in space enough)?

Really, pessimism about the long-term survival of humanity is the best argument against mitigation, adaptation, and geo-engineering. Why fix the climate if we're all going to die anyway....

Well, let me preface what I'm about to say by noting that I'm a biologist; I work with insects (arguably the dominant terrestrial animal group, and they have been for a while) and I occasionally dabble in evolutionary ecology. I tend not to take a human-centric view of the world ecosystem, but my human curiosity makes me fascinated with biodiversity, and I think it's a little tragic that the legacy of our species, so far, is a mass extinction event. Ecological interactions are inherently driven by a scarcity of resources, and while technology, throughout human history, has vastly increased the holding capacity of the Earth for our population, we just keep growing our population to fill that holding capacity every time -- that is, our technological solutions have tended to be short-term. Malthus gets poo poo on a lot, but I think it's dangerous to assume that technological solutions will always be on hand to bail us out of resource scarcity issues.

And the idea of space exploration and extra-planetary colonization is tantalizing, but as far as I'm aware no-one has ever demonstrated a truly long-term, sustainable, engineered habitat suitable for humans. If it were really a viable option, we would be creating "terraformed" self-sustaining (self-sustaining being the key factor here) habitats in deserts on Earth. That's a super-hard problem, and the idea of doing it on another planet is harder still. So no, I don't really think that space exploration is, or ever has been, our big ticket for survival. I think we might still have a chance to save the spaceship that we've already got, assuming we don't keep loving up.

As for the question of "why bother?", I mean, what's the alternative? Die horribly? Sit around and watch while other humans, unfortunate by sheer virtue of the arbitrary lines in the dirt denoting the country where they happened to have been born, die horribly around us? That sounds like a total shithead move, and yet it's pretty much the unconscious choice that we, as a population of humans on this planet, are making. I might harbor some doubts about our chances, but even if we don't make it I'd at least like to go down swimming against the current.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Benny Profane posted:

I'm definitely not arguing that that GCC will make human technological society impossible. Kurnugia asked whether s/he had any reason not to be utterly pessimistic, and this was called absurd. I disagree; while I don't know that we are absolutely doomed (i.e. giving reason to be utterly pessimistic), I certainly think there's a decent chance that if humans fail to address GCC in a meaningful way that our current society could well collapse. I think the perspective that "no matter what, humans will survive in some way with their technology intact" is dangerous, in that it doesn't stress the absolute need for immediate and significant action.

Well, let me preface what I'm about to say by noting that I'm a biologist; I work with insects (arguably the dominant terrestrial animal group, and they have been for a while) and I occasionally dabble in evolutionary ecology. I tend not to take a human-centric view of the world ecosystem, but my human curiosity makes me fascinated with biodiversity, and I think it's a little tragic that the legacy of our species, so far, is a mass extinction event. Ecological interactions are inherently driven by a scarcity of resources, and while technology, throughout human history, has vastly increased the holding capacity of the Earth for our population, we just keep growing our population to fill that holding capacity every time -- that is, our technological solutions have tended to be short-term. Malthus gets poo poo on a lot, but I think it's dangerous to assume that technological solutions will always be on hand to bail us out of resource scarcity issues.

And the idea of space exploration and extra-planetary colonization is tantalizing, but as far as I'm aware no-one has ever demonstrated a truly long-term, sustainable, engineered habitat suitable for humans. If it were really a viable option, we would be creating "terraformed" self-sustaining (self-sustaining being the key factor here) habitats in deserts on Earth. That's a super-hard problem, and the idea of doing it on another planet is harder still. So no, I don't really think that space exploration is, or ever has been, our big ticket for survival. I think we might still have a chance to save the spaceship that we've already got, assuming we don't keep loving up.

As for the question of "why bother?", I mean, what's the alternative? Die horribly? Sit around and watch while other humans, unfortunate by sheer virtue of the arbitrary lines in the dirt denoting the country where they happened to have been born, die horribly around us? That sounds like a total shithead move, and yet it's pretty much the unconscious choice that we, as a population of humans on this planet, are making. I might harbor some doubts about our chances, but even if we don't make it I'd at least like to go down swimming against the current.

I mean a lot of that makes sense at a macro-level, but I personally believe humanity has shown its power to complete epic tasks when it chooses to do so. We just won't do so unless our backs are against the wall and unfortunately many people will suffer because of that delay.

I do think you're right that as we wreck our world the technology to fix other plants will be the same to fix our own. Already China has a massive and mostly ineffective forestation campaign where they've planted 2+ Billion trees. Multination companies are already looking into atmospheric engineering and geo-engineering. I'm sure we'll test and improve these technologies on earth (where the money is) long before we use them in space. But I think its short sighted, less than 50 years since the first human visited another celestial body to declare the entire endeavor a dead end.

Also, the "why bother" is really the third step in the: 1. Its not happening, 2. We can't do anything, 3. We could have done something, but its too late now. The last argument that the "denialists" will make will be the strongest because it is a self-fullfilling prophecy. Nihilism is a powerful tool of the status quo and Apocalyptic talk is already used as an excuse to ignore climate change.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I think it would have been pretty great to have been a survivor of the Black Death. I can move anywhere and get paid ridiculous sums of money and have beer festivals that take up most of the year? Sign me up.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Kafka Esq. posted:

I can move anywhere and get paid ridiculous sums of money and have beer festivals that take up most of the year? Sign me up.

I actually used this example because I just finished Dan Carlin's podcast about it - he said there were laws passed in the aftermath of the Black death to prevent higher wages being paid to labourers, and also to forbid employers from offering higher wages even though there was a labour shortage. Gotta keep those poors in their place.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Reminder that Tight Booty Shorts is a literal insane person. Folks who don't frequent the Monsanto thread might not realize that.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

SKELETONS posted:

I actually used this example because I just finished Dan Carlin's podcast about it - he said there were laws passed in the aftermath of the Black death to prevent higher wages being paid to labourers, and also to forbid employers from offering higher wages even though there was a labour shortage. Gotta keep those poors in their place.
I was reading about it in David Graeber's Debt. I wanna be an Abbott of Unreason. They passed laws to prevent feast days from being held too often, suppressed wages, and people accepted it because it was the way of the world. Then they all got killed in the religious wars in Germany.

The 19th century and the reversal of feudalism was simultaneously the best and worst thing to ever happen to this planet.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Petr posted:

Reminder that Tight Booty Shorts is a literal insane person. Folks who don't frequent the Monsanto thread might not realize that.

:confused:

I just think we have to change some things about our food system

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I found this. It seems rather ambitious to say the least and I'm hoping it really happens. The bolded part makes me confused though.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/23/un-climate-summit-pledge-forests-new-york-declaration

quote:

A declaration announced as part of a UN summit on climate change being held in New York also pledges to halve the rate of deforestation by the end of this decade and to restore hundreds of millions of acres of degraded land.

Backers of the New York declaration on forests claim their efforts could save between 4.5bn and 8.8bn tonnes of carbon emissions per year by 2030 – the equivalent of taking all the world’s cars off the road.

The UK, Germany and Norway have pledged to enter into up to 20 programmes over the next couple of years to pay countries for reducing their deforestation, which could be worth more than £700m.

Companies such as Kellogg’s, Marks & Spencer, Barclays, Nestle, the palm oil giant Cargill, Asia Pulp and Paper and charities including the RSPB, WWF and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) have signed the declaration.

Taking all of the world's cars off the road sounds good, but what does it actually mean? The equivalent of taking all cars off the road for how long? Forever? Where did they get that analogy? Can someone who is good at this sort of thing explain?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
It's like those other pledges that everyone has ignored / done the total opposite.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Yeah, if they would actually meet thees goals is another question entirely. The US is one of few countries that hasn't failed to meet its Kyoto obligations :v:

Inglonias posted:

I found this. It seems rather ambitious to say the least and I'm hoping it really happens. The bolded part makes me confused though.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/23/un-climate-summit-pledge-forests-new-york-declaration

Taking all of the world's cars off the road sounds good, but what does it actually mean? The equivalent of taking all cars off the road for how long? Forever? Where did they get that analogy? Can someone who is good at this sort of thing explain?

They're saying that they are going to stop X acres of forests from being destroyed every year. The amount of forests now saved each year have a net-carbon (equivalent) impact equivalent to the size of the emissions of the global car emissions.

The issue with preventing land use changes as a method of emissions controls is say, unlike replacing all the world's cars, as soon as institutional controls stop the emissions start again. Future emissions reductions are contingent on future budgets for the prevention of land use change.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just don't understand the faith people are placing in "technology will save us and we won't technically go extinct in the next 100 years due to +4C", while it's pretty clear the world economy teeters on a knife's edge as it is. To me, it's not about us being physically capable of surviving climate change, it's about it not being an insanely destabilizing influence on everything humans do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I just don't understand the faith people are placing in "technology will save us and we won't technically go extinct in the next 100 years due to +4C", while it's pretty clear the world economy teeters on a knife's edge as it is. To me, it's not about us being physically capable of surviving climate change, it's about it not being an insanely destabilizing influence on everything humans do.

Literally only the super-wealthy will have awesome lives

• Locked thread