Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

PS2--ps3 was about the same or less than the current gen I'd say. New consoles haven't looked mind blowingly better than the last since the Dreamcast really. Up until then there was always a huge leap that just doesn't happen instantly anymore and it hasn't for like 15 years.

But the flipside of that coin is that everything continues to improve over the length of the generation. The graphical difference between Sonic and Sonic 3, or between Final Fight and Final Fight 3, is nowhere close to as significant as the graphical leap between Uncharted 1 and The Last Of Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, I'd just love a skyrim redux with ultra high texture packs.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd prefer a new Elder Scrolls to more Skyrim. It never felt that special to me, just the prettiest ES title.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

The last gen kind of had their defining moments with games like Gears of War, MGS4 and Uncharted that came out a while after the systems were released and eventually kind of set the bar how good last gen games were going to look for the most part.

I think people are still under the impression that someones going to "break the code and figure out how to harness the power of the PS4" or something, but honestly I think games on PS4 are going to eventually look better due to developer creativity not some perceived untapped hardware. It's funny how many people are saying PT is so next gen looking or whatever. It's a somewhat realistic looking hallway. How could that have not existed on PS3 in a slightly blurrier version?

Games just look good now and they have for years. We are never going to see them jump from a SNES to an N64 again. Everything is just tiny improvements.

I think that, just as there are people who overstate how much better graphics got over the course of the last gen consoles, there are people who clearly understate it.

MGS4 looks pretty bad next to some later PS3 stuff. Uncharted 1 looks markedly worse that 2 and 3 on just about every level, from texture detail right down to more subtle things like character animation. Killzone 2 is a sharp looking game for what it is, but Killzone 3 clearly outdoes it. Last of Us flat is one of the best looking games on the system, but that came at a major performance cost. For the 360, I think the Gears games only got prettier as the story got dumber. Halo Reach I think is a pretty damned nice refinement over what we saw in Halo 3 and Halo ODST.

I don't think we're going to see devs "break the code" so to speak, but to assume that there will not be some developer out there who figures out how to more efficiently make pretty things happen on hardware that's going to be around for another 4 or 5 years before we start smelling hints of a successor console in the works is ignoring that we HAVE seen developers do this across just about every platform that ever had some modicum of success. Even the Dreamcast would have seen some amazing looking poo poo compared to its first year had it lived long enough.

Honestly, the "leap" from the SNES to the N64 is way overstated. N64 games by and large looked like rear end even for their time, like a lot of early 3D games that hit consoles. I'm pretty sure I could have lived my life without every seeing that crazy looking Fairy Queen...thing from OOT at 3 in the morning. Had nightmares for days because of her and that damned laugh. Now, the leap from the N64-PS1 generation to the PS2's generation, that was definitely a significant jump in visual aesthetics for consoles.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The amount of people who think that the PS4/XB1 generation won't look much different from the PS3/360 generation are idiots who have no idea about proper particle effects, lightning effects and the difference between less than 1 gig of memory compared to 4-6 gigs.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It doesn't look much different because we're still seeing first generation PS4 titles and too many are cross-platform/generation or running on an ancient engine unable to take advantage of things.

Japanese developers speak loudly of the ability to go for 60fps now and I'll take that. Ishin and MGS own their PS3 plebian counterparts, the timing that 60fps allows in Ishin greatly enhances the game. Sadly I'm 99% sure western developments will continue to masturbate over graphics quality and stick to 30 and wonder why nobody cares and their games end up in the used bin over a weekend after the hype dies, while people continue to play games with (replay-)value and great developments in giving the player optional things to do besides following the story. Games of value that reviewers poo poo upon because "there's too much content" and they are manchildren who should take medication instead of paychecks that school teachers wish they could come close to.
/rant :smith:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

trdn89 posted:

Given that the terms of my lease specifically forbid any sort of installation on the property itself (including on the balcony) or modification to the building (i.e. drilling a hole through for a cable), I've been praying to the karma gods this week.

It's illegal to do this in MA, thought it was illegal everywhere

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Asema posted:

The amount of people who think that the PS4/XB1 generation won't look much different from the PS3/360 generation are idiots who have no idea about proper particle effects, lightning effects and the difference between less than 1 gig of memory compared to 4-6 gigs.

Well, if it's going to be driven by those technical factors, it doesn't help that the "wow" factor of this generation has also been blunted by the ubiquity of high-end PCs who have had that level of tech for years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

el oso posted:

Sure - visually impressive but now WOW. There's a much smaller sense of graphical improvement between the PS3->PS4 than there was between PS1->PS2 or PS2->PS3 and I think it's going to be a while before we all see something really spectacular.

People have been saying this at the beginning of the generation since the PS2 too.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

ImpAtom posted:

It's like the former.

When I say it is like Arkham, I mean that literally. They have the same publisher and it feels like they are straight-up using the Arkham combat engine with some modifications rather than the Spider-Man/Captain America knockoffs. The core combat is borderline identical, right down to the takedowns having a 1-for-1 matchup. (Instant kill, AoE knockback/stun, kill-all-stunned-enemies, all bound to the exact same button combinations. The only major difference is that instead of Disarm and Disable you have branding.)

Like, when I first played the game at E3, I was able to directly and without question translate my Arkham experience into combat without a hitch.

The biggest difference is that instead of quickfire weapons (aside from Batarangs, or rather Throwing Daggers), you have a bow which you can bring up at any time and which puts you into a slow-motion aiming mode. You can string this into combat combos or use various special abilities with it which basically replace the quickfire weapons Batman has.

This game wasn't really on my radar but I'm getting pretty sold on it for the Arkham combat.

BisterdDave posted:

How much longer until we can start calling this the "current-gen"? Are we pretty much waiting until they stop making games for the PS3/360?

I've been calling it current-gen for a while, PS360 is last-gen as far as I'm concerned.

Game graphics can still get loads better, this argument comes up almost every generation. The improvements won't come in the form of higher polygon counts, at least not much. It'll be stuff like lighting, particles, dynamics, fluids, textures, animation etc. It's not all necessarily stuff that will make screenshots look better, but it will definitely make games feel more 'alive'.

P.T. already blows the best last-gen graphics right out of the water and we're only in year 1. Give it another couple of years when developers are comfortable with the hardware and have completely ditched last-gen then we'll see what these consoles are really capable of.

Personally I'm hoping some of that extra power goes into the stuff you don't see, like enemy AI, more organic mission design, seamless game worlds, etc....

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, if it's going to be driven by those technical factors, it doesn't help that the "wow" factor of this generation has also been blunted by the ubiquity of high-end PCs who have had that level of tech for years.

Yeah, this is a big part of the problem for me. If you only play stuff on consoles the difference between, like, GTAV on PS3 and Infamous on PS4 are loving huge. But if you play PC stuff too, Infamous level graphics are about what you are expecting in an AAA game if you have the hardware.

Aphrodite posted:

People have been saying this at the beginning of the generation since the PS2 too.

And then theres this too. The golden standard for console graphics is going to get broken every few months. You can already chart out what the best looking console game is for like the 2 years with Infamous or Driveclub or 1886 or Uncharted 4 or whatever. The best looking game on the system changes every 6 months. Giant leaps dont really happen. Infamous will be the best looking game on the system and then Driveclub comes out and then in 2 years we will have Driveclub 2 and everyone will be saying "Driveclub 1 looks like poo poo, can you believe what we put up with as 'next gen' in that first year of the PS4?!?!"

No one really makes a giant leap forward on consoles because its limited by the hardware. Crytek can do whatever they want on PC because they dont have to give a poo poo about whether or not anyone can actually run it or not. Crysis 3 looks amazing with the graphics maxed out but the PS4 cant handle it because there isnt even a PC that can handle it (at 4k at least).

Console game designers just spend their time stretching the system to the absolute max of what it can do but it takes time and they are working with finite power. PS4 games look amazing now, will look more amazing in the future but its baby steps, not giant leaps.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 25, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MZ posted:

This game wasn't really on my radar but I'm getting pretty sold on it for the Arkham combat.

I've been calling it current-gen for a while, PS360 is last-gen as far as I'm concerned.

Game graphics can still get loads better, this argument comes up almost every generation. The improvements won't come in the form of higher polygon counts, at least not much. It'll be stuff like lighting, particles, dynamics, fluids, textures, animation etc. It's not all necessarily stuff that will make screenshots look better, but it will definitely make games feel more 'alive'.

P.T. already blows the best last-gen graphics right out of the water and we're only in year 1. Give it another couple of years when developers are comfortable with the hardware and have completely ditched last-gen then we'll see what these consoles are really capable of.

Personally I'm hoping some of that extra power goes into the stuff you don't see, like enemy AI, more organic mission design, seamless game worlds, etc....

What about enemy corpses remaining forever? I want a game (maybe Dark Souls 3) where corpses stick around forever, decompose and become poisonous, and you can damage enemies by kicking them into festering gore.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does Modor have any kind of multiplayer or is it a single player only thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Does Modor have any kind of multiplayer or is it a single player only thing

Single player only.

After Origins attempt at multiplayer, this is honestly probably for the best.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ImpAtom posted:

Single player only.

Cool it'll be 30 bucks or less on Black Friday then.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BreakAtmo posted:

What about enemy corpses remaining forever? I want a game (maybe Dark Souls 3) where corpses stick around forever, decompose and become poisonous, and you can damage enemies by kicking them into festering gore.

I've thought about this a lot actually. That, persistent dynamic blood stains on clothes and the environment, etc gross stuff. I really hope some developer tries it.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Cool it'll be 30 bucks or less on Black Friday then.

Ive been thinking about this a lot too. I am super hyped for that game but I am sure that itll be 30-40 bucks cheaper within a month or two. Hopefully I can remain strong. Hopefully I can remain vigilant. There is enough other stuff coming out that maybe I wont be too tempted.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If it gets good reviews I'm gonna hawk Destiny for Mordor. Probably pick Destiny back up in December. I don't really want or need more than 1 game at a time, though.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

echronorian posted:

I don't really want or need more than 1 game at a time, though.

This is always my problem too. There are like 15 games coming out in the next 3 months that I really want but I will have time to play 3-4. I will end up buying like 5-6. By the time I end up getting to all of them, most will have dropped in price.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yup. Gamefly doesn't quite work for me either, because I'll end up with a game I don't really care for and like an idiot forget to send it in, then I end up with a backlogged queue before I give in, buying the game I actually want instead of waiting. Then I cancel my membership again. This has happened three times.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm probably buying like 10 new games this holiday season because I'm a loving idiot nerd. There's too much poo poo coming out for my Sonys and Nintendos.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

El Hefe posted:

what game should I buy where the graphics makes me go "holy poo poo this is next gen"

I only have Destiny...

modded skyrim

boy I wish this was ironic

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Torka posted:

modded skyrim

boy I wish this was ironic

I originally got Skyrim for my 360 and then I got the Legendary one with all the DLC on my PC for like 7.50 during a Steam sale because I hadnt played any of the DLC. And then I started sifting through the mods. Good lord have people done impressive things with that game. Curiously, I thought the Skyrim in Color mod made the biggest difference and I am pretty sure they just turned up the contrast and saturation a few notches. I never realized how dreary looking that game was til I got that mod. Theres no way that I will buy the next Elder Scrolls game on a console

echronorian posted:

Yup. Gamefly doesn't quite work for me either, because I'll end up with a game I don't really care for and like an idiot forget to send it in, then I end up with a backlogged queue before I give in, buying the game I actually want instead of waiting. Then I cancel my membership again. This has happened three times.

Gamefly is seriously the worst. Paying like 20 bucks per month to play games that are several years old because anything thats come out in the past year is perpetually out of stock is dumb as hell. Or you can 'hack' your queue which usually results in me going a week or so with no game at all.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 25, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I still maintain that the next big chasm in gaming will be consumer VR. Seems destined to happen this generation on PCs; there will be Project Morpheus for PS4 but it might be like the way the N64 and PS1 were beachheads into 3D, but didn't really have the horsepower to make the games they wanted to yet.

From reading the digital foundry reports it seems like you benefit from higher than 60fps and as much resolution as you can muster when it comes to immersion and not feeling sick. Maybe Project Morpheus games will look like PS3 games, which actually isn't so bad probably.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 25, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Asema posted:

Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but being 'old man gaming' myself...real-time shadows giving away someone's position in TLOU multiplayer is really impressive. I'm probably easily impressed, but I remember, like it was yesterday, having consoles that made my eyes bleed.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

second-hand smegma posted:

Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but being 'old man gaming' myself...real-time shadows giving away someone's position in TLOU multiplayer is really impressive. I'm probably easily impressed, but I remember, like it was yesterday, having consoles that made my eyes bleed.

In game physics still amuse me, especially when stuff breaks in real time. I am part of the problem with modern games being all style and no substance.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I still maintain that the next big chasm in gaming will be consumer VR. Seems destined to happen this generation on PCs; there will be Project Morpheus for PS4 but it might be like the way the N64 and PS1 were beachheads into 3D, but didn't really have the horsepower to make the games they wanted to yet.

From reading the digital foundry reports it seems like you benefit from higher than 60fps and as much resolution as you can muster when it comes to immersion and not feeling sick. Maybe Project Morpheus games will look like PS3 games, which actually isn't so bad probably.

I've got one of the early prototype Rifts at home, and this is in my opinion the single biggest hurdle to VR; it is so good even in its early stages that your brain has trouble handling it. Running around in full immersive 3D sounds great, and it is, but because your brain knows you're just sitting on your couch and not moving, most people tend to get crazy motion sickness very quickly, and that's just in demos where you're sitting in place and looking around. But I'm sure they'll work the kinks out on that before it hits the market.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

I've got one of the early prototype Rifts at home, and this is in my opinion the single biggest hurdle to VR; it is so good even in its early stages that your brain has trouble handling it. Running around in full immersive 3D sounds great, and it is, but because your brain knows you're just sitting on your couch and not moving, most people tend to get crazy motion sickness very quickly, and that's just in demos where you're sitting in place and looking around. But I'm sure they'll work the kinks out on that before it hits the market.

The latest iteration is supposed to be even better too http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686164/oculus-rift-crescent-bay-prototype-hands-on-a-vr-alien-waved-at-me-and-i-waved-back.html

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

I have a couple friends with dev kits and one insisted that (obsolete?) Razer Hydra controller made a big difference for him. Apparently there is something really brain-breaking about the relationship of looking with a vr headset and controlling with a mouse and keyboard. Don't know how that relates to controllers or steering wheels, but I imagine it's fine for cockpit games and weird for FPS.

Have you read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-oculus-rift-dk2 ? They seem to suggest that differences in display tech, 75FPS, and higher resolution made a big difference in regards to brains rejecting our glorious gaming future. I kind of wonder where the diminishing returns kick in on FPS.. is it even more comfortable at 120FPS? What about those new g-sync or freesync technologies?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have a couple friends with dev kits and one insisted that (obsolete?) Razer Hydra controller made a big difference for him. Apparently there is something really brain-breaking about the relationship of looking with a vr headset and controlling with a mouse and keyboard. Don't know how that relates to controllers or steering wheels, but I imagine it's fine for cockpit games and weird for FPS.

Have you read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-oculus-rift-dk2 ? They seem to suggest that differences in display tech, 75FPS, and higher resolution made a big difference in regards to brains rejecting our glorious gaming future. I kind of wonder where the diminishing returns kick in on FPS.. is it even more comfortable at 120FPS? What about those new g-sync or freesync technologies?

Yeah, the trouble comes from the same place as getting carsick when you're reading on a road trip. Your eyes are detecting motion, but your inner ear says you're sitting still. Things can be done to mitigate that, and increasing in resolution and framerate will improve it, I'm sure, but it's hard to explain just how fundamentally WEIRD it is when you're looking around a 3D environment and then suddenly you just start gliding forward across the ground. Sitting still and looking around is better, and like you said, cockpit games do a better job with this since you've got a fixed point you can focus on. But yeah, walking around in an FPS is something that you have to train your brain for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't understand how anyone can play normal first-person shooters in a VR headset. Two independent means of turning just sounds like a recipe for nausea, and trying to convince yourself that you're walking around and jumping sounds even worse.

Vehicle games, though, will be killer. Your character is sitting in a chair (just like you are in real life) with a limited range of viewing angles relative to his body (just like you have while wearing the headset) controlling his mobility with buttons and levers (just like you are doing in real life) and not expecting any kinesthetic sensation related to navigating the world.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's not just about FPS, there are some fundamental issues with traditional display technology that only become apparent when the screen is pushed right up against your eyes. There's a paper from Valve floating around that describes some of the solutions- things like abandoning linear refreshes in favor of changing every pixel simultaneously, or flickering pixels so that they aren't illuminated long enough to trigger persistence of vision.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just threw up after reading those two posts. Thanks guys

I'm imagining a lot of first gen games that are either inspired by x-wing/free space or the bipedal forklift Ripley commandeered at the end of Aliens. Maybe some mech games.

This isn't sounding so bad..

Maybe the next grand theft auto will be sponsored by Segway and razor scooters

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

If they could get Five Nights at Freddy's working on the Rift, I honestly don't have a doubt in my mind that it would lead to actual legitimate heart failures out there. The current state of VR really shines when you're sitting; games that have you in one location, or as was mentioned, in some kind of cockpit or fixed position, are a blast. When I take the Rift to show off, people have the most fun just with the introductory demos I show them, where all you're doing is just sitting in a chair and looking around, and marvelling at the fact that it really, seriously looks like you could just reach out and touch the stuff in front of you.

But yeah, the second you move the mouse to turn, your stomach will turn loops. It quite literally feels like the whole world is spinning around you, and I'm honestly not sure if there's anything they can do to completely mitigate that aside from you the player getting your sea legs, so to speak. There are things that VR seems like it can do very well, and there are things it seems like it's going to be terrible for, and when it gets popular, you're definitely going to see some new kinds of games we haven't seen before. But mainly because running around in first person like you do in most games out now will just make you collapse into a ball of nausea.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I bet people who start using it from a young enough age would have no problem with it and be able to switch "modes" between real life movement and VR faux-movement easily. The brain of a child is amazingly adaptable

We're gonna be enviously watching the next generation enjoy the levels of immersion we always dreamed of but can't have because it was invented after our dumb brains were already too set in their ways to adjust to it

Torka fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 25, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Torka posted:

I bet people who start using it from a young enough age would have no problem with it and be able to switch "modes" between real life movement and VR faux-movement easily. The brain of a child is amazingly adaptable

We're gonna be enviously watching the next generation enjoy the levels of immersion we always dreamed of but can't have because it was invented after our dumb brains were already too set in their ways to adjust to it

You just have to hope you survive to the PS9 era and then direct neurostimulation would solve that issue for you

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Torka posted:

We're gonna be enviously watching the next generation enjoy levels of immersion we always dreamed of but can't have because it arrived after our dumb brains were already too set in their ways to adjust to it

Oh my god. So you're saying that Twilight Zone episode is my destiny? I haven't had a problem with roller coasters relative to some of my peers so hopefully I can be that oldster with a VR headset.

~MY WIFE~ gets past motion sickness with sea bands, ginger, and Bonine, although I think the Bonine is not very pleasant. I wouldn't want to take Bonine regularly, but maybe it would help get through the acclimation period.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You just have to hope you survive to the PS9 era and then direct neurostimulation would solve that issue for you

You'll need to get some ports installed on your spine before that.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I have no interest in taking part in any of this hellscape future that you all are drooling over.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TotalHell posted:

I have no interest in taking part in any of this hellscape future that you all are drooling over.

It's okay, my fellow Luddite, we can exist in the Mad Max world outside of the megacities, where a man/woman fights for the means to survive and tear down the order of the megacorps who provide the neurostims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just find the house of a VR-haver and go in and take their stuff, they won't notice.

• Locked thread