Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Jesus christ you think too much about timers.

Yeah, this is what happens when I'm home sick from work and am not being challenged.

Long story short, it's not healthy for anyone.

Timers weren't my real issue with the game. Ultimately, my issue with the game is that it just didn't wow me like Galaxy, 64 or any of the other BIG mario games have in the past. The wiiu has decent enough technology in it that it could put forth a really expansive and impressive game. Honestly, if I didn't know anything about these games, and played both blind, I would have assumed that Galaxy was the wiiu release and 3D world was the wii release.

The timer thing was a separate tangent, but I enjoyed spewing about it and I think I'm probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chili posted:

Mario did not feel like a game that was meant to challenge or demand efficiency.

Zuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

The timer thing was a separate tangent, but I enjoyed spewing about it and I think I'm probably right.

I sound like a dick saying this but no your point about timers was dumb. You don't like 3D world though for other better reasons and that's grand.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Makes you think

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Zuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's obviously talking about the 3D Marios which was true. Take away the timer, and there's no reason to be efficient in your playing. Mario 64 gave you a hint and you had as much time as needed to figure it out. It was basic puzzle solving. 3D World give you a straight line and a timer. It's a straight up platformer. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just if you loved all of the previous 3D Mario games, this was a very different game.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

I sound like a dick saying this but no your point about timers was dumb. You don't like 3D world though for other better reasons and that's grand.

Apart from the fact that I think about them too much, how are they dumb?

Edit; if this is a de-rail that nobody wants to be a part of, I'll just shut up.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chili posted:

For what it's worth, I had a similar but not as long post about hating the timer when I finished playing the game about a month ago, and it was for the same reasons. My feelings about the timer in the game can be summed up into 2 experiences with it.

First, I did everything in the level and didn't even notice that it was there. Second, I was searching for a star/stamp and the 100 second warning hit, at which point I had to run to the end of the level to keep the current stars/stamp that I had and then replay the parts I just did so that I could restart my search where I left off.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

It sounded more like you had a problem with how the levels were devoid of features and felt empty compared to the other slower Mario games. You just slammed on timers being the cause of this instead.

3D world & Land are more 3D versions of the 2D games where levels were obstacle courses to get through instead of places to explore and find stars.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chili pls continue with your well written and thorough summaries on the dangers of timers

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fremry posted:

He's obviously talking about the 3D Marios which was true. Take away the timer, and there's no reason to be efficient in your playing.

No way. Punk's dead.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

It sounded more like you had a problem with how the levels were devoid of features and felt empty compared to the other slower Mario games. You just slammed on timers being the cause of this instead.

3D world & Land are more 3D versions of the 2D games where levels were obstacle courses to get through instead of places to explore and find stars.

Yeah, you're correct. I wasn't even thinking of timers when I started my post, it's just something that came out and I ran a little crazy with it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fremry posted:

He's obviously talking about the 3D Marios which was true. Take away the timer, and there's no reason to be efficient in your playing. Mario 64 gave you a hint and you had as much time as needed to figure it out. It was basic puzzle solving. 3D World give you a straight line and a timer. It's a straight up platformer. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just if you loved all of the previous 3D Mario games, this was a very different game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excellent, now what were we talking about before? Oh yes.

Bayonetta 2 is a terrible game because it's not selling well in Japan.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
At least it's not a horrible game because reviewers don't understand how to play it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

At least it's not a horrible game because reviewers don't understand how to play it.

It's a platinum game. Of course that's going to happen, just wait.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Look I like Mario 64 too but Nintendo has made exactly two exploration focused Mario games and the last one was 12 years ago. If you wanna argue about how Mario "should be" you shouldn't be looking there.

And 3D World is really fun and good and charming, every level has a different gimmick and the music and presentation are great and I like it a lot. It also made powerups a cool thing again instead of just part of situational puzzles which was a real weakness of previous 3D titles.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2014

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SMW and SM3 had timers and they were the absolute best Mario games

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

qnqnx posted:

SMW and SM3 had timers and they were the absolute best Mario games

Yup. And it made sense in those games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Apparently the consensus is Bayonetta 2 is not that good.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/477447/bayonetta-2-review-edge-awards-sequel-1010-score/

Edge gave it 10/10.
Famitsu gave it 38/40.

Consensus!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Famitsu gets paid in mad yen for positive reviews. Like crazy yen, yen coming out of your eyes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Taint Reaper posted:

Famitsu gets paid in mad yen for positive reviews. Like crazy yen, yen coming out of your eyes.

Japanese are notorious for having bad or no taste in things. Case in point: Final Fantasy and Space Dandy

E: Eww Watch_Dogs

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rudoku posted:

Japanese are notorious for having bad or no taste in games. Case in point: Final Fantasy and Space Dandy

Also Edge gave Watch dogs an 8 out of 10.

Neither publications are very honorable~

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also Edge gave Watch dogs an 8 out of 10.

Neither publications are very honorable~

They are however better judges of quality than some anonymous guy on the internet making a blanket statement on a game based on its Japanese sales.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's also a bunch of previews of the first 4 - 6 chapters that say "Unless this game just completely goes bust in the last half, this is every bit as good as Bayonetta 1"

Which IMO was the best brawler of all time, so yay! Should be good stuff.

Edit: Also Youtubers seem to like it a lot as well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
please take care of your taints, gamers

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fremry posted:

They are however better judges of quality than some anonymous guy on the internet making a blanket statement on a game based on its Japanese sales.
And even if they weren't, they're still, at least, more representative of the perception of the game's quality than the aforementioned random, anonymous internet forums poster. Two popular critic sites/magazines giving the game top or near top scores, and youtubers and forum posters who have actually played the game praising it almost unanimously, does not make for a consensus view of "this game sucks."

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Why is this thread active again

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Monicro posted:

Why is this thread active again

Grown adults seem to be upset that the motherland did not take well to their anime game. Which it's sequel proved the reasons for it's original cancelation valid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Grown adults seem to be upset that the motherland did not take well to their anime game. Which it's sequel proved the reasons for it's original cancelation valid.

That and timers ruined Mario.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Golden Goat posted:

That and timers ruined Mario.

That's why you pick Luigi, for he is not bound by such mortal constraints.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's why you pick Luigi, for he is not bound by such mortal constraints.

Unless you're playing New Super Luigi U, then you're bound by a even tighter constraint of 100 seconds and you'll never get to explore the luscious 2D world at your leisure.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Chili posted:

Timers can be fine, but they change the feel of a game as well its intention. When you strap a timer onto a game it becomes more about being efficient and less about exploring/enjoying.

Mario did not feel like a game that was meant to challenge or demand efficiency. But when you have a linear level design, if you don't put a timer on it, you run the risk that the player will ultimately realize just how little substance there is to a level. If you do have a timer, you insist that the player move somewhat briskly through the level, which will cause them to question if they left a stone unturned somewhere along the line.

And that presents another problem altogether. 3D world gives you bonus stars to collect in each level. Now let's say that in you first play through on a level you collect one star, that took awhile to collect because it was in a bonus room or whatever, and you missed the other two stars.

Now, you want to collect the other two stars, so you go back to the level, but you now do not need to worry about wasting time on that first star, which means that the balance in finding the other two is wasted. If the timer was meant to challenge you, so that finding these stars was made more difficult in a time crunch, that goes right out the window because the timer never changes.

If they wanted to make the timer mean something, what they could have done would be something along the lines of making only one star at a time obtainable in each playthrough of each level, and balance a time around that specific star. Now, that would be a terrible idea, and it would be very tedious and unenjoyable, but at least it would make sense within the context of timing the level.

Breaking it down even further; you could have unlocked every aspect of a level except for one small thing (I'm thinking about character exclusive buttons specifically) and now you want to go back to unlock that, but there's no challenge or anything remotely interesting about doing so. Because stepping on one button and getting to the end of the level in 500 seconds is utterly pointless and very easy to do.

It's not the timer ruins the game, or makes it impossible, it's just a pointless element to this game.

I didn't run out of time a single time in 3D World, not even on the dudat dudah dudat dudah dudat dudah dat dah stages, so what I don't understand is why you even give a poo poo

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I didn't run out of time a single time in 3D World, not even on the dudat dudah dudat dudah dudat dudah dat dah stages, so what I don't understand is why you even give a poo poo

I really didn't.

It wasn't the thrust of my problem with the game at all. It was just a small nitpick that led to a tangent. But I would say, the fact that you didn't run out of time (come to think of it, neither did I) kind of renders the timers pointless, no? Anyway, this isn't all that interesting to debate over, I made my point and don't really have anything new to add here.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I, honestly, only even consider the game because I didn't play the first one and the releases on Wii U are sparse. However, it is supremely stupid to say the consensus is that it "isn't very good" because the sales numbers in Japan aren't good. That's a crazy and incorrect jump in logic.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Fremry posted:

I, honestly, only even consider the game because I didn't play the first one and the releases on Wii U are sparse. However, it is supremely stupid to say the consensus is that it "isn't very good" because the sales numbers in Japan aren't good. That's a crazy and incorrect jump in logic.

the guy with 22 pages of posts about how a good console is bad is making a bad argument

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
there are a lot of games on wii u, many of which are addictive and have replay value.

if you hate wii u, have fun with uh, destiny and halo 5 i guess

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Excels posted:

there are a lot of games on wii u, many of which are addictive and have replay value.

if you hate wii u, have fun with uh, destiny and halo 5 i guess

Gamers don't replay poo poo.... will beat a game by playing nonstop for a weekend, then complain about not having anything to say

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you don't like the Wii U it's because you don't have anybody in real life to play fun games with. We should be meeting these people with pity and sympathy, not scorn :unsmith:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Lemming posted:

If you don't like the Wii U it's because you don't have anybody in real life to play fun games with. We should be meeting these people with pity and sympathy, not scorn :unsmith:

pity is worse than scorn, because it's basically a 1%er term for sympathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lemming posted:

My friends hate the Wii-U and would rather play Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls.

An actual game with worldwide appeal and an understanding of how to fix bad gameplay mechanics so that the sequels are better than the original.

• Locked thread