Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

So this thing is coming out on October 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUHRQwb4Hw

I kinda want to play it
This looks great, unfortunately I can't wait to see how they ruin it with Freemium bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
With the big bad turning into a truck, his name better be Menasowr.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Tunga posted:

This looks great, unfortunately I can't wait to see how they ruin it with Freemium bullshit.

Probably an "energon system" :rimshot:

If anyone's looking for a similar kind of game its pretty much a Major Mayhem clone. Seeing that footage made me reinstall it actually.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

How are the controls and how does it play on a phone like the N5?

Runs fine on a moto g
Controls are a little fiddley for my fat fingers but it's definitely playable

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

how me a frog posted:

It takes about an hour tops to hit the massive paywall in Deep Dungeons of Doom though.

Thinking about this some more, are you sure you just didn't get to a spot where you were expected to grind earlier stages and other characters for money and such?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tunga posted:

If Angry Birds Epic is any indication, hopefully not too bad. That was one freemium model I thought wasn't too bad, although I don't think I played very far into the game (stopped playing not too long after getting all five birds).

I'm glad they went with a cheesy 80s retro version of Transformers, instead of the Michael Bay version, at least.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For those that got Doodle God on the recent humble bundle, how do you get out of the game? I can't find an exit key!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kunster posted:

For those that got Doodle God on the recent humble bundle, how do you get out of the game? I can't find an exit key!

press your home button

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Thinking about this some more, are you sure you just didn't get to a spot where you were expected to grind earlier stages and other characters for money and such?

He probably means the point where you run out of dungeons and have to pay to unlock the rest.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

He probably means the point where you run out of dungeons and have to pay to unlock the rest.

Ahahaha I am an idiot. I totally forgot it was basically a free demo with one time IAP to buy the rest of the game.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

press your home button

My Tablet only has a volume key and an on/off button, and the game kicks out the clock and such outside the screen once its on.

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.
Probably drag down from the top of the screen to reveal the softkeys.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kunster posted:

My Tablet only has a volume key and an on/off button, and the game kicks out the clock and such outside the screen once its on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The game even tells you and you have to acknowledge it to dismiss the notice.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I tried that and it doesn't work.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mrkillboy posted:

So this thing is coming out on October 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUHRQwb4Hw

I kinda want to play it

Just kill my childhood already

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Potsticker posted:

NemoNemo Picross is the best Picross app out there that I could find. In terms of both how easy the UI is to operate and how good the puzzles are. Some of the larger puzzles do have a problem with the individual sections being really poorly balanced, but I managed to learn some new picross-ing techniques along the way. I wish I could recommend goon-made Nonomatic, because it controls fantastically, but the puzzles are terribly easy and buying a couple of the monthly packs was a waste because there was no variety and all the puzzles were super simple to figure out.

Have you tried these? I think they're both better than Nemo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuesdayquest.logicart (color)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobiledynamix.crossme

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobiledynamix.crossmecolor (color)

I really liked Hungry Cat though the number of puzzles eventually ran out. The ads can be a little attention-grabbing.

I'm still going on CrossMe (and haven't touched the color version), the number of puzzles is gargantuan. It has premium versions but I have no idea what they do. Don't think I've seen any ads yet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

the littlest prince posted:

Have you tried these? I think they're both better than Nemo.

I have not, thanks! I'm not a big fan of color picross/nonagrams, but I'm already downloading that second link to check out.

devamon
Jan 13, 2006
Just a heads up that the current "main" humble bundle is a windows/Android bundle and at $11 includes Surgeon Simulator & Anomaly Defenders as well as 8 other games at present.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you're looking for at Bejeweled Twist clone, Twist My Jewels is pretty good. It also has Google Play Games integration, so it has Achievements, if you like those.

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I still have to find a better CCG game than Magic 2015 so far. I tried Star Realms, Ascension and Heartstone and none really clicked for me. I really wish someone would port Netrunner because it's been a long time I want to give it a try.

I'd recommend Solforge for its gameplay alone, but the interface design is bad, the mobile apps are pretty unoptimized, and timed play uses death timers, resulting in a lot of people just flipping you the bird for 15 minutes until you can actually win. Infinity Wars would be my second choice, but their mobile version won't come out until 20whenever. Plus the grind for free players is a bitch. If Duel of Champions were on Android, it would be the taker for best CCG on mobile platforms IMO since neither of these problems exist. Then again, I haven't played DoC in months, so take that for what it is.

Although these might not be what you're looking for, I'll still recommend them. Card City Nights lacks multiplayer, but does have the collectible card game experience along with an unusual mechanic for combat (plus it's a huge reference to all the devs' past games). Summoner Wars is a pretty good card game/board game combo, if you're looking for that style of play with less collection. Shelter is a pretty neat solo card game. Tower defense like themed around zombies plus a bit of CCG goodness mixed in there. I've only touched lightly upon it myself, mostly because the interface is a bit stiff. Finally, though I've fallen out of it, I really did like Tekken Card Tournament's RPS kind of gameplay, but there is a bit more of a power issue than what usually runs through F2P CCGs.

And sorry if you've already encountered all of these in advance, or I wasn't as detailed as I could have been.

Chronomaster fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 26, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chronomaster posted:

I'd recommend Solforge for its gameplay alone,

And if you have a flaky Internet connection, it's tough to finish a game in the allotted time. I have had to wait 30+ seconds to play a single card, and there are a bunch of bugs caused by it as well.

Yet I still play it because I haven't found a better one.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Chronomaster posted:

And sorry if you've already encountered all of these in advance, or I wasn't as detailed as I could have been.

Thank you for all these suggestions! I tried card city night alredy and it felt like only attack cards matter. I'm going to check the other ones.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Recently announced Star Wars tower defense game Star Wars: Galactic Defense (not to be confused with the Clash of Clans one) has soft launched for Android in a few countries like Australia. It's pretty much a Kingdom Rush clone in that you can build barracks and field heroes (like Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett) along with towers, but obviously with a Star Wars makeover.

Its free with IAPs (gems plus an energy system). It'll be out widely later this year.

Also I have to post Chewie's face

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 26, 2014

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Kheldarn posted:

If you're looking for at Bejeweled Twist clone, Twist My Jewels is pretty good. It also has Google Play Games integration, so it has Achievements, if you like those.

Nice - thanks, I always liked Twist way more than normal Bejeweled. Will post trip report later.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

Recently announced Star Wars tower defense game Star Wars: Galactic Defense (not to be confused with the Clash of Clans one) has soft launched for Android in a few countries like Australia. It's pretty much a Kingdom Rush clone in that you can build barracks and field heroes (like Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett) along with towers, but obviously with a Star Wars makeover.

Its free with IAPs (gems plus an energy system). It'll be out widely later this year.

Also I have to post Chewie's face

That's loving awesome. I'm on a Star Wars kick right now, so this will be a fun time killer.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Did anyone try Welcome to the Dungeon ?

Its this Free with IAP odd/unique tower defense'esque one armed bandit themed rpg, with a monster leveling mechanic similar to Puzzle & Dragons and an overland map you can explore/conquer.
Im not really sure how else to explain it, just go have a look on the app store at how different the game looks on all the screenshots.
It is quite fun though, i have played it for a few hours. Will be interesting to see if IAP is required or not, so far it hasn't been.

The story of the game is that you are an evil overlord, and the heroes come and attack you. You pull a lever on an one armed bandit to roll which heroes attack, there is a luck element here in what level they are and which elements they have. These heroes then attack your dungeon, which is where the "tower defense" aspect comes in (im using the term lightly).
You send your own demons to defend, and should choose defenders according to the element the hero have, for bonus damage. Occationally the one armed bandit might spawn special units which can either buff the enemy heroes or even buff YOUR heroes.
When you win you gain infamy and gold. Infamy increases your level which makes higher level enemies attack, but it also increases you gems (the IAP currency) which lets you roll for powerful demons (Puzzle & Dragons style)
You can also use the gold you gain to roll for weaker demons.

After enough infamy you "conquer" an area, which means you move on to the next area (overland map)

Additional mechanics include taking your monster lineup to some sort of arena, where you fight for points and compete for leaderboard positions with other players.
There is also some sort of achievement menu, where if you have at some point had certain demons you unlock achievement that give you some permanent stats (like +10% damage for all 1-star demons). Inside these achievement is also an adventure mode where you take the monsters required to unlock the achievements on an endless runner style wack a mole adventure where you can gain gold and a 3rd currency which i am unsure what does.

Welp.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 26, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has anyone managed to make a decent Heroes of Might and Magic-style game for android yet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

The Muffinlord posted:

Has anyone managed to make a decent Heroes of Might and Magic-style game for android yet?
Heroes: A Grail Quest is a King's Bounty-alike.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

goddamnit why can't it be like actual Kingdom Rush and just let me play for 8hrs if I want and get rid of the goddamn energy bullshit?

Charge me 5 bucks. It's loving Star Wars, it'll make money anyway. Let the gems be the IAP for impatient whales.

Getting pretty sick of this poo poo. I already can't stand how much the Clash of Clans game turned me off with the "nah, we don't want to to play without paying" ramps up quick as gently caress (even faster than CoC!).

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

I'm having fun with this. I like how there's no energy system to restrict your play time and that the IAPs are completely optional PaD style.

Got this guy on my 2nd pull:

:3:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pudding Huxtable posted:

I'm having fun with this. I like how there's no energy system to restrict your play time and that the IAPs are completely optional PaD style.

Got this guy on my 2nd pull:

:3:

I am having fun with this. It seems like a good skinner box game that doesn't really force IAP's on you... for now.

Without setting up an account system though I see this being a shallow game once you complete the story.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

I've wanted to, but the permissions look really loving sketchy for just a game.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MohShuvuu posted:

I've wanted to, but the permissions look really loving sketchy for just a game.

I don't want to start a pointless derail slapfight, but I've been doing this more and more lately. It doesn't surprise me that the average Android user gives zero shits about the permissions popup when downloading apps, but it's still disappointing that Google has held steady to only giving users the ol' Randroid false choice of "well if you don't like the conditions, you're free to gently caress off :smug:".

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im currently playing through Sorcery!2 and Lone Wolf and enjoying the crap out of both of them. I used to have sone of the Lone Wolf books back when I was a kid so it was pretty awesone touse the Sommerswerd to wreck fools' day with it. I will say that its way to easy to gently caress yourself over in Lone Wolf with a crap character build as I have discovered, you really need to keep a lot of healing stuff on you all the time. Either that, or I suck at defence.:downs:

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shatteredpixel.shatteredpixeldungeon
Shattered pixel dungeon

An open-source rogue-like. Some of you may be familiar with the original.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't want to start a pointless derail slapfight, but I've been doing this more and more lately. It doesn't surprise me that the average Android user gives zero shits about the permissions popup when downloading apps, but it's still disappointing that Google has held steady to only giving users the ol' Randroid false choice of "well if you don't like the conditions, you're free to gently caress off :smug:".

Ol' Randroid false choice? You should probably get off the internet some more because that's super crazy.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh jesus that's too many words about a mobile game. Just install Cyanogenmod and use their privacy features, problem solved.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Glad I can finally play Battle Cats. Is there any go to Cat I should level up? Their descriptions are super vague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I have not, thanks! I'm not a big fan of color picross/nonagrams, but I'm already downloading that second link to check out.

So, I tried out CrossMe for a while, played it here and there and while the puzzles seem pretty good, I'm having a hard time with the UI. In order to mark a square with an X, you have to tap it twice. This gets annoying especially when I want to cover a huge field. And if I drag a line of X's, it overwrites any Filled-in spots. The drag mechanic itself is really annoying. You can only drag the last square you tapped, and if you get it wrong and actually drag the screen around-- you lose your chance to drag that square. All this leads to way more tapping than I would like for this type of game.

Also annoying is the guide numbers on the side get crossed off in an annoying fashion when you fill in the appropriate number of squares. They are literally crossed out, making it hard to read the number underneath, and when you drag the puzzle around, it's like the whole thing was printed on a piece of paper meaning that the numbers can be off camera and you may have to slide the puzzle back and forth when you want to see what you're working with. This gets really annoying as the puzzles get bigger.

Overall it has a nice presentation, the puzzles I've done so far have been interesting, but I haven't gotten too deep into the complicated stuff. There seems to be a lot of them, but being frustrated with normal gameplay is what really dampened my spirits on this game. I had thought that with a little bit of time I would settle into the controls, but as the puzzle spaces got bigger, the flaws bothered me that much more.

• Locked thread