Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I don't know if the codex system is clunkier than hauling around a deck of cards and a bunch of rulebooks. That said, if they introduce new units, I'd like it if they had rules for them in the box until they're available in a codex.

They did this for one of the Hobbit releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

I don't know if the codex system is clunkier than hauling around a deck of cards and a bunch of rulebooks. That said, if they introduce new units, I'd like it if they had rules for them in the box until they're available in a codex.

I play a ton of competitive Warmachine and I vastly prefer the way they do it. All I need for a tournament ruleswise is a deck/book of a couple dozen cards and a mini rulebook (you don't need any other books on top of that unless you're playing something weird like a theme force, in which case you can refer to War Room on your phone or just photocopy a single page out of a book/magazine). I don't play competitive 40k but a mini rulebook plus 2-3 codexes and/or datasheets plus possibly a maelstrom deck plus possibly psychic cards sounds like more to me, especially with the codexes being giant hardcover books.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SRM posted:

I already haul around a deck of cards and at least two hardbound rulebooks when I go to play hams. :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

I already haul around a deck of cards and at least two hardbound rulebooks when I go to play hams. :v:

Seriously. Two big books, two decks of cards, a stack of templates, dice and an ipad. I think I field more accessories than models at this point.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Okay you guys got me there. I just haven't really thought about it much, which is funny since just this week I bought psychic powers and maelstrom cards :v: I'm only playing with allies for the first time in the tournament I'm going into in November. I also need to get a 7th ed rulebook but they're still going for crazypants prices on eBay.

So yeah, I got some catching up to do.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fix posted:

Seriously. Two big books, two decks of cards, a stack of templates, dice and an ipad. I think I field more accessories than models at this point.

I bring more bags and cases with me for a day of hamming than I did for a week long vacation in the PNW. It's not a major pain in the rear end or anything, but I do miss when we kept the table and terrain at my place.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

SRM posted:

That said, if they introduce new units, I'd like it if they had rules for them in the box until they're available in a codex.
The new models that are part Warhammer Fantasy End Times release all have the rules for the model printed on the assembly instructions. I'm not sure if they've done this for any 40k models, though.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
What do you think is a fair point cost for this piece of Custom Wargear for my Blood Angels Captain?

Tempest Claw
Strength: User, AP: 3, Melee, Shred
A model attacking with this weapon can never gain bonus attacks for fighting with two weapons.
For every unsaved wound caused with the Tempest Claw in combat, the model attacking with it immediately makes an additional attack. These extra attacks can generate further additional attacks in the same way until no further unsaved wounds are caused, or all the enemy are slain.

I was thinking 40 points.
Base of 25 since it's based off a Furioso's Blood Talons, which is the same cost as a Blood Fist, which is basically a Power Fist.
Add 15 points and the "Two Handed" effect to make up for the fact real Blood Talons need to be wielded in pairs to generate extra attacks.

I'm obviously going to pitch it to my friend before using it, and if he says no, I'll just use it as a Lightning Claw. I just want something unique for Captain Vlad Tempest.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Did you at some point wonder what an IG army pushed back and encircled around 1/16th of the table looks like? Well wonder no more:

:getin:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Soulfucker posted:

Did you at some point wonder what an IG army pushed back and encircled around 1/16th of the table looks like? Well wonder no more:

Eeyup, had that happen to me in one of my few games. I think it even was my first one for that part.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have a different view of course of 40k , but if anything I think it's more streamlined, I mean come talk to me when it requires 12 different dice types, specialty dice, specialty counters, wargear cards, psychic power cards, like a billion templatines, and 5 White Dwarfs, 2 Army Books, Dark Millineum, and the main rule book.

edit:

Also there's apparently going to be a completely new army revealed at Warhammer Fest, The Solar Auxillia

Which there have been a few pictures of a few models and drawings but there are in fact vehicles and all kinds of poo poo their holding back.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 25, 2014

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Soulfucker posted:

My last game had the same situation too. I had Yarrick and 6 guys (out of 30) left, hiding out behind some ruins. They had already seen off two squads of gaunts, but the big bugs were on their way and it wasn't going to be pretty. :negative:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Also there's apparently going to be a completely new army revealed at Warhammer Fest, The Solar Auxillia

Which there have been a few pictures of a few models and drawings but there are in fact vehicles and all kinds of poo poo their holding back.

Isn't that the stuff that got teased at the Forge World event a while ago for 30k?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Cooked Auto posted:

Isn't that the stuff that got teased at the Forge World event a while ago for 30k?

Yeah, it's the 30k version of Imperial Guard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, it's the 30k version of Imperial Guard.

Now I really have to resist the urge to buy from FW.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
30k has just about caught up to 40k in terms of how many different army options there are :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I have a different view of course of 40k , but if anything I think it's more streamlined, I mean come talk to me when it requires 12 different dice types, specialty dice, specialty counters, wargear cards, psychic power cards, like a billion templatines, and 5 White Dwarfs, 2 Army Books, Dark Millineum, and the main rule book.

At least it came with a really big box to carry all that stuff around in. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

30k has just about caught up to 40k in terms of how many different army options there are :v:

Not hugely so. There's the Legions, the Adeptus Mechanicus, and soon the Imperial Army. There are just several variations of each list, each with a small selection of unique units, characters, and rules, but it's really two soon to be three main lists.

Expect that to go up to five when Prospero hits, bringing the Adeptus Custodes and Sisters of Silence to the field.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I guess I don't understand why orks and eldar aren't a thing in 30k. Dark eldar too? When did that whole thing happen?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's because the Heresy setting is explicitly and solely about the Heresy. Doing Xenos in the Heresy era would be redundant, and a distraction.
This is the stance of the head of Forgeworld.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Not hugely so. There's the Legions, the Adeptus Mechanicus, and soon the Imperial Army. There are just several variations of each list, each with a small selection of unique units, characters, and rules, but it's really two soon to be three main lists.

Expect that to go up to five when Prospero hits, bringing the Adeptus Custodes and Sisters of Silence to the field.

Although it is, as far as I can remember, allowed to play some Xenos armies in 30k as well but you just need to up their numbers by quite a bit as a counter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

Although it is, as far as I can remember, allowed to play some Xenos armies in 30k as well but you just need to up their numbers by quite a bit as a counter.

IIRC 30k lists are officially playable in the 40k era, but 30k lists are only balanced with each other in mind and they don't play much like 40k era lists.

quote:

It's because the Heresy setting is explicitly and solely about the Heresy. This is the stance of the head of Forgeworld.

And also probably because an ork or eldar 30k list would be... a bog-standard ork or eldar list. There have been zero indications those races are anything different at all in the 30k era.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well... so? All that means is that I would be able to play in both systems. I'm not looking for orks models with a slightly different shoota casing to represent the 10,000 years of progress and the blablablah, I just think it would be cool to allow them in the games because they also existed in that time period.

And because any setting without orks is inherently sad

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ignite Memories posted:

I guess I don't understand why orks and eldar aren't a thing in 30k. Dark eldar too? When did that whole thing happen?

Aside from the real world explanation, the fluff explanation is that the Tau don't exist yet, the Necrons are still sleeping, the Orks were shattered by that last big Imperial push before the Emperor went home and are still regrowing, and both flavours of Eldar are too smart to put forces in the field with the full might of the Legions at their zenith dominating the galaxy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can and should run your 30k armies in 40k or the other way around. The lists are surprisingly well balanced and its great playing against something new.

I feel they aren't going to do a 30k Orc/Eldar army for a while since the differences wouldn't be as major as something like the Imperial Army vs the Imperial Guard. Same goes for the Legions. They look like marines up front, for sure, but they play very differently. Admech is really different from anything else in the game currently and they are going to expand it to include the Dark Mechanicus :getin:

Cooked Auto posted:

I keep hearing this and disagree. Especially at lower points, 30k lists have a hard time staying flexible or points effective. Some guy on another forum was trying to argue 25% more points for a 40k army playing in 30k. At anything below 2000 points thats a really big handicap for the 30k player, seeing that our basic troops with bolters cost like 350 points. 800 points will get you 2 troops choices, a transport, and maybe an HQ.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BULBASAUR posted:

I feel they aren't going to do a 30k Orc/Eldar army for a while since the differences wouldn't be as major as something like the Imperial Army vs the Imperial Guard.

They wont do 30k Xenos lists, probably ever. That's the word from the mouth of Tony Cottrell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They wont do 30k Xenos lists, probably ever. That's the word from the mouth of Tony Cottrell.

And you are perfectly free to play your 40k Xenos list against a 30k Heresy list.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not really surprised, they have their work cut out just doing all the human stuff and you can always run Orks in 30k or Legions in 40k (the only distinction is what FOC you use)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I keep hearing this and disagree. Especially at lower points, 30k lists have a hard time staying flexible or points effective. Some guy on another forum was trying to argue 25% more points for a 40k army playing in 30k. At anything below 2000 points thats a really big handicap for the 30k player, seeing that our basic troops with bolters cost like 350 points. 800 points will get you 2 troops choices, a transport, and maybe an HQ.

Just saying is as I remember hearing either here or elsewhere, heck might even have been on an IC episode I heard it even.
Don't really have much of an opinion about it as my chances of playing 40k is pretty non-existant as of right now, even more so when it comes to 30k.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
People want to give 40k lists more points because 30k armies are balanced around destroying each other. And when all of your opponents are going to be Super Space Marines, your special rules are particularly nasty against 5+ armour save folk.

Even more so when your special rules are ridiculous like -1 to the strength of enemy shooting weapons.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
There are some crazy good rules, for sure

Now excuse me while I use marker lights to ignore all your cover, buff myself up to BS5, and shoot you with 60 S7 shots per turn at ranges up to 36"

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Having seen Cataphract's bare chest this evening (at his band's show) I can definitely say that I saw his bare chest. And he got in a Space Wolves reference, too! I'm probably the only one that got it but so what, I'm mainly surprised we weren't the oldest people at the show.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

There are some crazy good rules, for sure

Now excuse me while I use marker lights to ignore all your cover, buff myself up to BS5, and shoot you with 60 S7 shots per turn at ranges up to 36"

:thurman:

On that note, I watched a strongarm Tau player get taken to task by Dark Angels pretty convincingly last night. So while they're definitely powerful and laden with high STR shooting, they're far from unbreakable using a weaker SM dex.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

koreban posted:

On that note, I watched a strongarm Tau player get taken to task by Dark Angels pretty convincingly last night. So while they're definitely powerful and laden with high STR shooting, they're far from unbreakable using a weaker SM dex.
What were the lists? I want to run DA (I have a bunch I got on the super-cheap) in an upcoming 2250 event using the BAO rules.

However, I also do not want to lose all the time, so this is a problem.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

People want to give 40k lists more points because 30k armies are balanced around destroying each other. And when all of your opponents are going to be Super Space Marines, your special rules are particularly nasty against 5+ armour save folk.

Even more so when your special rules are ridiculous like -1 to the strength of enemy shooting weapons.

On the other hand, everything in the Legion list is expensive and inflexible. The Legion units are as specialized as aspect warriors, and Rites of Battle force you to further specialize if you want access to the kinds of deployment options most 40K armies take for granted.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

koreban posted:

You saw a Dark Angels victory? :stare:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Having seen Cataphract's bare chest this evening (at his band's show) I can definitely say that I saw his bare chest. And he got in a Space Wolves reference, too! I'm probably the only one that got it but so what, I'm mainly surprised we weren't the oldest people at the show.

There's not normally a space wolves gag in the show. I threw that one in just for you buddy.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Von Humboldt posted:

What were the lists? I want to run DA (I have a bunch I got on the super-cheap) in an upcoming 2250 event using the BAO rules.

However, I also do not want to lose all the time, so this is a problem.

quote:

2000 pts Dark Angels:

ML2 Librarian
Command squad w/ dakka banner
- Las/plas razorback

Techmarine w/ power field generator
- Land Raider Crusader

10 man tac squad w/ plasma/multimelta
- Rhino

10 man tac squad w/ plasma/multimelta
- Rhino

Mortis pattern venerable dreadnaught w/ 2x TL AC

Mortis pattern venerable dreadnaught w/ 2x TL AC

Land Speeder Typhoon Squadron (4 typhoons)

Imperial Bastion

quote:

2000 pts Tau

Farsight bomb

Riptide w/ nova reactor and whatever high str weapons they run (x2)

Pathfinder squad

Fire Warrior squad

Fire Warrior squad

Kroot squad

Whatever the tau analogue for the wave serpent is (x2)

I'm obviously the best at knowing Tau inside and out and I totally wasn't paying more attention to the Tyranid guy on the next table that was playing an unbound list with Trygons and tervigons and shitloads of genestealers and a broodlord against a nurgle chaos demons at 2500 points per side.

That said, the DA guy ran all the tanks alongside/behind the landraider using the 4++ bubble to manage the shooting. When it came time to deploy he used the rhinos to screen for his marines so they were out of LOS of the tau shooting and used the dakka banner to overload the farsight bomb with dozens of saves rolls. It was a pretty convincing win.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Most of these were probably posted before, but have a loving spoonful of man:

Back when the Emperor had his say and commanded his fighting armies to be equipped with body armor and pressurized suits. Long before the bean counters said, "gently caress that, let's just put shirts on them, poo poo them into battle, and keep the leftover funds for our Rejuvenant treatments, ha ha ha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man I'm so tempted to get one of those when they are released or some other tank they might offer for that army.

• Locked thread