Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

System Metternich posted:

The Isle of Man ceded to Ireland and/or becoming independent; a good map.

fake edit: Wait, the "and" makes no sense here
The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.

DrSunshine posted:

Have to say, it's pretty nice being part of that yellow grouping and not be some sort of human/bear hybrid. :smug:
Body hair protects against insects!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

my dad posted:

It's a fun little derail, but we've pretty much exhausted it by this point. Case in point:

Back on topic:

Percent of what? I have no idea.

What's going on in New England/the Maritimes? I'm really surprised that it would be different from North America as a whole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gleri posted:

What's going on in New England/the Maritimes? I'm really surprised that it would be different from North America as a whole.

Quebec probably.

Or just that that's where a large number of immigrants from the red areas went.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.

Body hair protects against insects!

It is also habitat for others!!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also, another map just because it's true; we have been writing a lot of words.

Take that, Wales!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

Does anyone know how Poland managed to stave off the bubonic plague? Seems odd that Poland of all places would be unaffected.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DrSunshine posted:

Andorra you fuckers

Wouldn't want to live in Marseilles at the time!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Does anyone know how Poland managed to stave off the bubonic plague? Seems odd that Poland of all places would be unaffected.

Furthermore, why is Milan an island of health in Italy?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Andorra you fuckers

Wouldn't want to live in Marseilles at the time!

That's not Andorra, more like Southern Gascogne/Northern Aragon?

How did commercial waypoint Bruges get off lightly?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

a primate posted:

Furthermore, why is Milan an island of health in Italy?

Because the first people to catch it were literally walled up along with all there friends and family.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HorseRenoir posted:

They weren't very connected with the outside world at the time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is that because of the Teutonic Order previously conquering all of Poland's coastal territory?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Didn't Poland and the Netherlands have a large Jewish population relative to the rest of Europe? I heard that certain Jewish practices and customs lowered the spread and severity of the plague.

alternatively:

the jews did it!

3peat
May 6, 2010

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Let me guess: Parked in Transylvania?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That's a nice looking whale. Sadly it can't coexist with Romanian fish at the same time..

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

Didn't Poland and the Netherlands have a large Jewish population relative to the rest of Europe? I heard that certain Jewish practices and customs lowered the spread and severity of the plague.

alternatively:

the jews did it!

I think it's more that Poland had a relatively large Jewish population after the plague because everywhere else was blaming the plague on them and killing them/driving them out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ego-bot posted:

alternatively:

the jews did it!
The Jewish and Muslim practice of "taking a loving bath now and again" was probably condusive to general health but its importance may be overstated, as might the filthiness of the average person back then. Even the average dirt farmer likely rinsed his hands and mouth on a regular basis, if nothing else.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

The Jewish and Muslim practice of "taking a loving bath now and again" was probably condusive to general health but its importance may be overstated, as might the filthiness of the average person back then. Even the average dirt farmer likely rinsed his hands and mouth on a regular basis, if nothing else.

The Jewish communal baths were sometimes hotbeds for infection, actually. Remoteness or merciless quarantine efforts were probably responsible for the few green spots on that map. A lesson we better remember when ebola goes airborne.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

made of bees posted:

I think it's more that Poland had a relatively large Jewish population after the plague because everywhere else was blaming the plague on them and killing them/driving them out.
Even before the plague, the Jews had been expelled from France* and England, and the ones that ended their journey eastward in Germany had since become increasingly mistreated there too, leading them to once again move east. That's not to say the Jews didn't get blamed for the plague, but they had already had plenty of reason to go to Poland before that point.

*Twice! Though only for about a decade or two each time.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
Poland didn't escape the plague. There are no reliable statistics about the plague in poland.

Edit: Found the quote:

The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time - John Kelly posted:

Poland, like Germany, was squeezed by an octopus-type envelopment. In the July 1349, the first wave of plague entered the country near one of history’s favorite playgrounds, the Polish city of Danzig, where World War II (and later the Solidarity Movement) began. In a series of follow-up assaults, the Black Death took the country from the south via a disease prong advancing northward through Hungary from the Venetian-dominated Balkan coast, and from the east via a thrust out of Russia. Then, in 1351, just as the survivors were telling one another the worst was over, Y. pestis sent a fourth plague prong across the River Oder from Frankfurt to conduct a mopping-up operation. There are no reliable death figures available for Poland but, tellingly, as in England and France, wages in the country soared after the plague, due to a tremendous manpower shortage.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 25, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We did? I know we had Caribbean and African possessions, with the obvious triangle trade that comes with it, but this sorta sounds like we also helped other people get their slaves.

fake edit: Okay, Sweden got a lovely island from France where we go some decent ones, and was thus "forced" into focusing on trading slaves instead of just using them to make sugar and what not. Apparently Sweden also sold female slaves to the Ottomans.

That automatically disqualifies pretty much every country that was extant before some time in the rather recent past though, leaving post-colonial and post-imperial states, many of which have been troubled to put it mildly.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, and the country does have the advantage of having come into existence for the first time only 2 decades ago.

e: Of course they screw over the Roma.

Is Scotland warping into another dimension here or somethkng?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Is Scotland warping into another dimension here or somethkng?
Politically, yes. You know how for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction? The breakup of the UK will see southern England rapidly reverting to the politics of Britain during the height of the British Empire without the north to keep it in check, which will slingshot Scotland and Northumbria in the opposite direction, creating the perfect utopian state of the future.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Ego-bot posted:

alternatively:

the jews did it!

The Jews were probably almost wiped out by the plague.
http://www.haaretz.com/life/science-medicine/.premium-1.614893

quote:

Ashkenazi Jews descend from 350 people, scientists say
Geneticists have found serial bottlenecks in European Jews’ history and postulate that today’s community is just 600 to 800 years old.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mcustic posted:

Slovenia erased all the Roma and many other minorities from all registries after it achieved independence and continues to pretend they never existed. Some of them still live there, stateless, unemployable and without access to basic services.

I think you're getting it mixed up with Slovakia?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

loving English, always forgetting that Wales exists.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think you're getting it mixed up with Slovakia?

Nope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

loving English, always forgetting that Wales exists.
Could it be any other way? It is a realistic portrayal of the future of the UK, not some fantasy dreamt up by utopian idealists.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Could it be any other way? It is a realistic portrayal of the future of the UK, not some fantasy dreamt up by utopian idealists.
They could at least have called it "United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland", though.

That or had Wales join the Scotland/Northumbria side.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

my dad posted:

It's a fun little derail, but we've pretty much exhausted it by this point. Case in point:

Back on topic:

Percent of what? I have no idea.

What happened in Hokkaido?

Edit:
Apparently the Ainu people are hair as gently caress.

Action-Man fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 26, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Werewolves

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul.Power posted:

They could at least have called it "United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland", though.

That or had Wales join the Scotland/Northumbria side.

Wales and England had been the Kingdom of England straight up for like many hundred years, with the abolishment of a separate Welsh law system in the mid-1500s cementing the thing.

If you merely grant scottish independence by say reversing the act of union then your result is to detach Scotland from "England" which includes Wales.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know as well.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know as well.

I don't blame the rats for avoiding Belgium.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't blame the rats for avoiding Belgium.

Belgium wasn't invented until 1830.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see that body hair map for women.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ecureuilmatrix posted:

There's actually just a lack of good historical data on Bruges and its surrounding land during the Black Death and estimates vary pretty widely. That map's using a very optimistic one. Though even the more dire estimates have its impact, at worst, being about average.

The theory for why it made out better than the other trade port cities is because of disruptions caused by the Hundred Years War.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nice to see my local team represented in Montana, where Dick's doesn't even have a retail location! :mad:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
How are more Falcons jerseys bought in DC than Redskins? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Irradiation posted:

How are more Falcons jerseys bought in DC than Redskins? :psyduck:

There's a big boycott over the Redskins name going on this year. Now why the Falcons over any other team, that's the real question.