Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm getting excited about soon learning just what the hell everyone is talking about hahahah. My TWIC is coming in any day now and I'll be going after my MMC soon after.

Uhhhh.... which certification are you going for specifically? MMC covers an awful lot of things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll admit I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I'm putting in for an entry level Ordinary Seaman. I believe. To be frank the documentation online isn't very clear on what is what and I haven't been able to get through at the local REC to ask questions.

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
You are probably better off calling the Nmc, they were helpful when I was getting my paperwork in order.

Off the top of my head you need your application form, medical form, drug test form, and merchant mariner oath notarized; I believe the nmc's website has a checklist for what you need.

Where are you going to be looking for work?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
At this point in time I'm not. My wife is currently active duty Navy, although she is trying to get out soon, and I'm staying at home with the kids. As soon as she gets out I think I'll be looking for work out of Port Angeles.

I'm a little confused about what to do after I get my MMC however. I've been told that I need to go to school from a friend of mine, and at the same time another has told me that I don't.

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
The school they are probably talking about is the basic safety training, which is a short class you need to take if you are going to be past the demarcation line.

I think a lot of the jobs on the west coast are union so you might need it to join them, but I work on small inland tugs on the east coast so all I needed was my mmc to get started.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Found this in TFR, of all places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

Things start not being boring around 4:30 or so.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

BrandorKP posted:

I had a vessel have it's EDG die during a flag state inspection I was doing once, that day could have been worse. That EDG fuse thing should be a no sail too, I'd think. I've seen them detain for similar issues during port states.

It is a no sail. It was fixed enough for the USCG to let us sail but it still never managed to put itself online when we blacked out.

That was a fun trip, 2 fires, rags in the piston cooling oil line, I recieved a hosed up plant from the 2nd twice a day and I haven't had a solid poo poo since Dubai.

For US mariners IAskNMC is the quickest source for licensing help. The people at the RECs are pretty worthless as it is and NMC has access to everything, knows everything and are generally very helpful.

Edit: On the plus side, the senior officers liked me enough that they want me to come back in any position and one of the Chiefs really wants me as 1st whenever I upgrade.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2014

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well I am enjoying the OSV life though I have done very little mud work. These 300+ foot boats are very ship like excepting the often more cramped accommodation.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Well I passed my license exams, now I just have to wait until January for everything to actually come through from the USCG...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright. I need to study for my Able Body Seaman exam. What should I study from? The massive gently caress off list I got from the REC really told me nothing.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Not sure if theres a wide difference between the Canadian and (I am assuming here) American curriculum. Our AB exam here was pretty simple, basics about watchkeeping in different conditions, some stuff about anchors, lifting gear etc. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with Seamanship Techniques by D.J house if you want to be real prepared. Personally if you are familiar with working aboard ships (or have done a bit of sea time or something like that) the Canadian test is a breeze.

ETMPlus
Jul 28, 2008

You're going to be the Eleventh Commandment: 'Thou shalt not get away with it.'
I've got a question for you guys regarding upgrades. I applied for, and got, my 100GRT license from NMC about a month ago, using my service time in lieu of documented days at sea. All of my sea time is as JOOD/OOD on ~1600 ton vessels. Can I apply for an upgrade to a bigger ticket right now, or have those days been used to feed the great paperwork-eating, credential-pooping monster that is NMC? Maybe it's a simple question, but I can't find any guidance on NMC's site about this sort of thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flashman posted:

Not sure if theres a wide difference between the Canadian and (I am assuming here) American curriculum. Our AB exam here was pretty simple, basics about watchkeeping in different conditions, some stuff about anchors, lifting gear etc. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with Seamanship Techniques by D.J house if you want to be real prepared. Personally if you are familiar with working aboard ships (or have done a bit of sea time or something like that) the Canadian test is a breeze.

TC doesn't give out AB certificates anymore, what people call the AB is actually the "rating forming part of a navigational watch", aka the bridge watchman. It's insanely easy to get.

The old AB certificate required more sea time than an OOW. :shrug:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Hey FrozenVent I heard the Canadian parliament or whoever were trying to do away with Canadian cabotage laws. Is that true?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

TC doesn't give out AB certificates anymore, what people call the AB is actually the "rating forming part of a navigational watch", aka the bridge watchman. It's insanely easy to get.

The old AB certificate required more sea time than an OOW. :shrug:

I assumed that AB would be equivalent to deck watch rating, apologies if there is actually a second ticket to write there for AB.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Hey FrozenVent I heard the Canadian parliament or whoever were trying to do away with Canadian cabotage laws. Is that true?

There's language in the leaked text of an European trade agreement that could have implications for cabotage, yes. I think the Canadian SIU is having a petition, I saw something on Facebook.

flashman posted:

I assumed that AB would be equivalent to deck watch rating, apologies if there is actually a second ticket to write there for AB.

poo poo's weird in the states.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I saw it in the union newsletter. Can't you go DP rigs? My buddy is at MITAGS right now getting all his CM poo poo to shop around out there. 3rd mates are making $180k and CM are doing $320k out there.

Got offered a port engineer position in Seattle, $130k, 1 foreign shipyard a year and quite a bit of comp time but I turned it down. Matson jobs coming in at the end of October I'm going to try for and then try for a master's. I need to get home and apply for unemployment as well, been stuck in NY.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Those day rates are extreme best case scenario numbers for people with unlimited DP moving from lower tier drillers. I haven't heard of 1k+ day rates for thirds anywhere normal, if you're a Norwegian with ten years time maybe.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Those are normal rates for DP. CM is at Transocean. 3M might be a bit lower but not that much at the lower tier stuff. One of the female mates in my class who was not very bright at all managed to get in with Transocean so if you can get your license you should be able to go anywhere.

Engineers aren't as far up there though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I should go back to school then, being an engineer just doesn't pay the bills. 320k vs 150k for cm vs 1ae would far more than cover the opportunity cost of more academy time inside ten years

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

List of shore based career opportunities for DP officers:
  • DP instructor
  • Some sort of shore based DP superintendent?

I don't know, DP has been booming for a while now, I can't help but think it'll die down eventually.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

List of shore based career opportunities for DP officers:
  • DP instructor
  • Some sort of shore based DP superintendent?

I don't know, DP has been booming for a while now, I can't help but think it'll die down eventually.
Who cares when you can retire in ten years. If we're looking at $1200 a day out of school, vs my day rate now, someone point me at the fastest mate program out there.

Plus they can use their office connections to move into the management and business aspects of the industry while an engineer is just in the hole

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I've seen a lot of DPO, CM, offshore experience management jobs run through for shoreside management and the pay just gets better.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They've been really tightening up the accreditation process for unlimited DP tickets as well as instituting a renewal scheme every 5 years. I was lucky and got my unlimited ticket under the old system but now it takes a lot longer to collect up the necessary days on DP to get your certificate after doing the simulation course. You fall prey to the catch-22 of needing a ticket to get a job but not having the ticket because no one will give you a job as DPO. I'm hoping they'll continuously tighten the regulations to prevent there being too much bloat in qualified DPOs (fygm).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am hoping the amount of fygm starts increasing exponentially.

They keep increasing the regulatory burden on everyone as it is. '17 is going to weed out a bunch more people. Meanwhile companies act like finding qualified mariners with any amount of experience is nbd and it's a sellers market and they can pay whatever they want. I need to get out of this poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Who cares when you can retire in ten years. If we're looking at $1200 a day out of school, vs my day rate now, someone point me at the fastest mate program out there.

Plus they can use their office connections to move into the management and business aspects of the industry while an engineer is just in the hole

I feel really bad because you took my advice in signing on as engineer. At the time there was a massive need for engineers but now it's swung back the other way and they want deckies. I'm having the same trouble you are in looking for jobs.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

How crazy would it be to get into the quickest deck program there is now? Is the DP salary and hiring a flash in the pan? I'm currently a captain at a small company transporting commercial vehicles to islands but there's really no place for me to advance so I'm leaving the job anyway. I can get in-state tuition at Maine Maritime but that's still pretty expensive. The SUNY graduate program looks interesting too but I'm not sure my BA in poli. sci. will cut it there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theres always going to be jobs at sea I mean if you don't mind going away then why not. Even without any DP mates below CM are getting 100-130 around here and Chief mate and Captain are up in the 150-200 range. A decent career by any metric (besides going away).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Meanwhile companies act like finding qualified mariners with any amount of experience is nbd and it's a sellers market and they can pay whatever they want. I need to get out of this poo poo.

Yeah companies are really sticking their heads in the sand on that one. In about ten years, we'll be plum out of deckhands, ABs and MAs. Nobody is bothering with any kind of knowledge transfer or training program for when all the old guys retires, so there's going to be a huge gap in a few years.

And the IMO and the US keep coming up with more and more stringent environmental regulations (ballast treatment, scrubbers, ECA, what have you), the Chinese keep building more and more ships nobody needs... Crewing costs are going to shoot the gently caress up, and there's a bunch of shipowners that are just not going to have margins anymore.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
These acronyms. I'm fluent in Navy acronyese but these are all new to me. I can't follow the conversation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DP - dynamic positioning
CM - chief mate
AB - Able seaman
MA - Mecanical Assistant
IMO - International Maritime Organization
ECA - emission control area

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I still think you are in a better place as an engineer. If you want, Coors needs 2 plant engineers in Golden, I can give you someone to contact out there. Pays high 20s, maybe $30ish an hour or something. Shouldn't be too bad, maybe $80kish a year with some room for upward movement.

Otherwise MEBA needs people. Get your upgrades, use union schooling and money for all the '17 stuff or whatever other regs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd echo that sentiment. Although work is booming here for everyone with a C/E ticket you can name your price worldwide basically. A lot of companies are going to the C/E rather than a Master for their superintendents too, as engine maintenance is going to be eating up a lot of your major downtimes and they like the guy in charge to have a better picture of what exactly its all going to take. In retrospect I sometimes wish I had been an engineer, but when the vacuum system busts and my job is still to sit on the DP desk for the 12 hours I snap back out of it.

On another note I'm looking to do my SEN 2 (it's all I've got left for my CM and the company just rolled out a bonus for anyone who does it without time off), but all that's offered around here is a 3 week course. I work 4 on/off so it's not really feasible to get it in (I still have to go out of town and stay) in my 4 off even if it were offered directly in my off time. Does anyone know of somewhere they do it in 2 weeks in eastern Canada?

flashman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

flashman posted:

but when the vacuum system busts and my job is still to sit on the DP desk for the 12 hours I snap back out of it.

:argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flashman posted:

On another note I'm looking to do my SEN 2 (it's all I've got left for my CM and the company just rolled out a bonus for anyone who does it without time off), but all that's offered around here is a 3 week course. I work 4 on/off so it's not really feasible to get it in (I still have to go out of town and stay) in my 4 off even if it were offered directly in my off time. Does anyone know of somewhere they do it in 2 weeks in eastern Canada?

I've only ever seen it done in three weeks, and honestly it'd be a bit of a rush to get it done in two weeks. 12 days of class instead of 15 would be doable I guess... Remember you have to get back into plotting and into doing collision avoidance and poo poo the simulator way. The first week is basically the entire class getting taken down a peg, daily.

And reviewing tons of useless poo poo.

It's apparently hella cheap in BC, or at least it was a few years back, so that's worth looking into I guess. SEN 2's a hell of a lot of fun, by the way. Hit the pub to celebrate our graduation, we got there before the staff and left at last call... Christ, what a night that was.

And I agree that there are a ton more office jobs for engineers these days. Your average company seems to have one shore captain and like a dozen chief engineers around for superintendin' purposes. You might have a couple more deckies for auditing and poo poo... But even then most of that is done by engineers these days. In my experience office personnel is about 1:4 deck to engine. (And about 1:10+ "has sailed before" to career office people)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

I've only ever seen it done in three weeks, and honestly it'd be a bit of a rush to get it done in two weeks. 12 days of class instead of 15 would be doable I guess... Remember you have to get back into plotting and into doing collision avoidance and poo poo the simulator way. The first week is basically the entire class getting taken down a peg, daily.

And reviewing tons of useless poo poo.

It's apparently hella cheap in BC, or at least it was a few years back, so that's worth looking into I guess. SEN 2's a hell of a lot of fun, by the way. Hit the pub to celebrate our graduation, we got there before the staff and left at last call... Christ, what a night that was.

And I agree that there are a ton more office jobs for engineers these days. Your average company seems to have one shore captain and like a dozen chief engineers around for superintendin' purposes. You might have a couple more deckies for auditing and poo poo... But even then most of that is done by engineers these days. In my experience office personnel is about 1:4 deck to engine. (And about 1:10+ "has sailed before" to career office people)

Yeah I figured, they do it here in Newfoundland in 3 weeks with weekends off. I actually quite enjoy the simulator so it's more familial obligations that makes me wary about spending basically 3 months away in a row. Worth it for the pay raise but hard pill to swallow initially.

Best gig for a deckie ashore is safety inspector/examiner at some small towns ship safety. They are still making around 80 and it's so easy when you don't have a lot of people coming through for certs/exams. Federal pension once you punch enough time. I would be applying now but don't have the ticket (or experience) for them to even look at me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Feds are hiring like crazy these days. I've heard you can game the system by getting a bachelor on top of your master mariner, since it's somehow point based... Don't know how true that is though.

When you consider benefits, pension and the working conditions, inspectors actually make surprisingly good money.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

skinner posted:

How crazy would it be to get into the quickest deck program there is now? Is the DP salary and hiring a flash in the pan? I'm currently a captain at a small company transporting commercial vehicles to islands but there's really no place for me to advance so I'm leaving the job anyway. I can get in-state tuition at Maine Maritime but that's still pretty expensive. The SUNY graduate program looks interesting too but I'm not sure my BA in poli. sci. will cut it there.

Even with previous sailing experience the fastest you can get through the unlimited deck program at Maine Maritime is three years. The limited side you could probably do in two, depending on what type of license you have currently/how badly the school fucks you over when transferring credits. MMA also offers a two year graduate program that gets you a Masters in business and a 200T mate ticket, but as far as I know that is quite expensive.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is there something weird in the states that anything but a near coastal unlimited tonnage is useful?

Unless you enjoy driving tugs, ferries and dinner cruise tours I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

localized posted:

Even with previous sailing experience the fastest you can get through the unlimited deck program at Maine Maritime is three years. The limited side you could probably do in two, depending on what type of license you have currently/how badly the school fucks you over when transferring credits. MMA also offers a two year graduate program that gets you a Masters in business and a 200T mate ticket, but as far as I know that is quite expensive.

I've been looking at the graduate program at MMA but can't find any sort of information on the career options and outlooks except for their own claims. Have any of you run into people who've done a program like that at one of the academies? The SUNY program looks interesting too.

The graduate programs are more realistic for me as I only have a 100 ton license.

• Locked thread