Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MickeyFinn posted:

When I first read those names, I had assumed they were street names for drugs. It appears we have come full circle.

Cops are just the best armed gang on the street I guess, abs have no problem acting like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thought yall might like a video from Urban Shield, one of the largest police equipment conferences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6m__F86aY

Mother Jones is going to have a full article of coverage up soon.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

KomradeX posted:

Cops are just the best armed gang on the street I guess, abs have no problem acting like it

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82b_1406465598

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3fe_1410326501 :nws:

Isis beheading videos are still being uploaded there.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Thought yall might like a video from Urban Shield, one of the largest police equipment conferences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6m__F86aY

Never seen so many white dudes with small penises in one place.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

That's extremely hosed up. So are there no 'good' police forces?

It's not really going to be likely in a capitalist society.

Or a not-capitalist one, but for different reasons. Police should exist, but with much more oversight and regulation...they are ones enforcing the law, they should be the most scrutinized.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

"It's a FELONY to run my tag without reaosnable suspicion of a crime!" :smugdog:

You'd think if this guy is going to go through the whole effort for the sake of a 'this is why I'm legally smarter than the cops' video, he'd at least get that part right. But no it's not a felony and reasonable suspicion is not required to run a license. Hey, gently caress the police right this video makes for good entertainment.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

KomradeX posted:

Which they sometimes openly admit.

"Chief Inspector Kibblewhite of the Enfield Police (Part of the Metropolitan Police) posted:

If you make the wrong decision after tonight, trust me, we are coming after you, we know who you are.

You might have 100 people in your gang - we have 32,000 people in our gang. It's called the Metropolitan Police.

Also for laughs here is an official video of the Metropolitan Police making a proportionate response to a report people were selling drugs at a club. This operation lead to nine arrests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL1ULtKfAA8

The Yakety Sax version has, alas, been removed.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Trabisnikof posted:

My eyes just keep wandering to the skull and crossed wrench and hammer(?) patch. Police forces really pushing that Imperium of Man grim dark iconography.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

A.S.H. posted:

My eyes just keep wandering to the skull and crossed wrench and hammer(?) patch. Police forces really pushing that Imperium of Man grim dark iconography.

Nothing says protecting the peace like the symbol of death and danger.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/oklahoma-trooper-jailed-on-sex-assault-complaints

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma Highway Patrol arrested a state trooper Monday on complaints of kidnapping, rape and other crimes after three women alleged the officer sexually assaulted them while he was on duty.

Trooper Eric Roberts, 42, was arrested at his home in Sapulpa and taken to the Creek County jail. He was released Monday afternoon after posting $66,000 bail.

An internal investigation into Roberts began after a woman called the patrol on July 23 and reported that Roberts raped her after pulling over her vehicle, said Col. Rick Adams, chief of the Highway Patrol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess this is a step in the right direction.

quote:

The Los Angeles Unified School District's police department will give back three grenade launchers it received through a U.S. Department of Defense program that channels surplus military supplies to local police agencies, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

But school police there plan to keep other supplies received from the federal agency—61 rifles and a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (or MRAP) vehicle, the paper reported:

"L.A. Unified says that the M-16 automatic rifles, which were modified to semiautomatic since they were acquired in 2001, are 'essential life-saving items' and will continue to be available to trained officers. The armored vehicle will be used only under extraordinary circumstances, officials said."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wait, what weapon is used to deliver CS, Stinger and smoke grenades if not a grenade launcher?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Wait, what weapon is used to deliver CS, Stinger and smoke grenades if not a grenade launcher?

I know these things should probably be called something other than "grenade launchers," because they're mostly used for non-lethal weapons. However, I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where tear gassing high schoolers is a good idea.

And what the hell does a school district need with an MRAP?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Non-lethal and less-lethal munitions are fired from the exact same grenace launchers as explosive ones, just like less lethal shotguns are the same as normal ones.

I think in this case the name is what riled people, not their use.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PostNouveau posted:

And what the hell does a school district need with an MRAP?
Probably something about bomb threats. I'm not saying it's legit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
if they have an mrap they can blow through the wall like a bunch of badasses when there's a school shooting and save the day and be BIG HEROES

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Something that I noticed after a recent encounter with the Florida Highway Patrol is how much of your private space they can visually search without any consent.

I was stopped for speeding on the perimeter road of Tallahassee for 14 over the limit in a car that's pretty well known for being a rocket. I deserved to be stopped. Because I don't like to see anyone get run over, I pulled about 25 feet off the shoulder of the road to give the guy plenty of room to approach my car without being in serious danger. I asked the guy when it was ok to go for my wallet in my back pocket, if it was ok to open the glove box, etc, because I didn't want any of my movements to be misconstrued as going for a weapon. He goes back to his car to run my info.

My windows are tinted at a light transmission percentage that's well within legal boundaries. He comes back from his limousine tinted Charger with this rather large device to test my tint with. What puzzles me at first is why it's such a big box. I hand over my certificate stating that my tint is legal, but he insists on testing it anyway. Then it hits me. The test device is so large that I had to roll my back window 80% of the way down, allowing the officer a full unimpeded view of my back seat and cargo stowage. Had I refused to allow him to use that device, I would be subject to another fine( it's treated a lot like a breath test).

The device was similar to this but larger. Having been on my way back from a fishing trip, I had a lot of stuff in the back and it took him approximately 4 times longer to check the back window than it did the front. Then he inquires about the laptop bag on my passenger seat bearing the logo of a quite large media company I work for. I answer " Laptop".

As I already knew, my tint tested perfectly legal, and he hands me a $225 citation for 59 in a 45 and sends me on my way. During a routine traffic stop, that officer managed to quite subtly eyeball every square inch of the interior of my car without any probable cause or warrant. Now I'm 35 and white. Had I been black, there's no telling what I would have been subjected to (drug dog, full clean out vehicle search, patdown, etc)

Compared to some of the things that are discussed in this thread, this is relatively tame, but it really struck me as invasive.

The section of road he got me on is a newly developed area, six lanes, 5 miles long, and 45 MPH. There's nothing out there but trees and radar guns, and typically the only people who drive it are commuting to/from work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Probably something about bomb threats. I'm not saying it's legit.

The stated reason San Diego USD used was to respond to school shootings and to tear down walls in an earthquake. No joke.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trabisnikof posted:

The stated reason San Diego USD used was to respond to school shootings and to tear down walls in an earthquake. No joke.

Wow do emergency personnel really feel compelled to tear down walls that are still standing after an earthquake? I'm asking that as a general emergency response in earthquakes because I haven't really lived in earthquake-prone areas. I'm assuming that's just bullshit.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Recently I've been merely ambivalent about cops and wanted to rekindle that old feeling of utter disdain. Thankfully, everyone's favorite group of shitbag fuckup cowboys, the ATF, just lost a court case against one of its own agents.

Synopsis

The short version is that Jay Dobyns spent his career doing undercover stuff to convict assholes of doing rear end in a top hat things. When he retired the ATF apparently forgot they were supposed to be protecting him or whatever, so he sued them and won. In retaliation the ATF rescinded protection for Dobyns' family and someone set his house on fire with his wife and kids inside. The ATF immediately blamed the fire on Dobyns and accused him of attempting to murder his family. So he sued them again, and the judge decided they were a bunch of incompetent assholes and lied about a lot of things and awarded Dobyns a big pile of money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow do emergency personnel really feel compelled to tear down walls that are still standing after an earthquake? I'm asking that as a general emergency response in earthquakes because I haven't really lived in earthquake-prone areas. I'm assuming that's just bullshit.

Theoretically, sure there is a need for someone to destroy standing but dangerous structures. But do you think the school district cops should do that or maybe the city public works department instead?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Trabisnikof posted:

Theoretically, sure there is a need for someone to destroy standing but dangerous structures. But do you think the school district cops should do that or maybe the city public works department instead?

Even in a situation where it's some sort of extreme emergency and holy poo poo that wall needs to come down so we can get to those kids in the burning/collapsing school, it seems like the sort of thing you would delegate to a fire department, on account of them having exponentially more training and experience regarding disaster response and structural collapse stuff. I am confident that the school police would manage to either trap the vehicle in rubble or collapse a building on survivors.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I'd rather not have a school district do it. I was surprised that it was any justification at all.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/meat-head-officer-attacks-innocent-handcuffed-man-breaks-cheek-bone/

He did not look like he was resisting to me, but then again, I'm not trained to spot those kinds of things.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On-duty officers kill another on-duty officer in a domestic dispute.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/09/st_john_parish_deputy_kills_an.html

quote:

Sheriff's deputies shot and killed a fellow deputy who opened fire on them Wednesday while they were investigating a domestic dispute at his daughter's house in LaPlace, authorities said. Neighbors and a relatives identified the dead officer as Lt. Nolan Anderson, a 25-year veteran of the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office.

Anderson, in uniform and on duty, and his wife, Lisa, were at their daughter's house on Pine Street near Capt. G. Bourgeois Street when Anderson called the Sheriff's Office on his radio. The nature of their dispute was not released, but Sheriff Mike Tregre said, "The deputy made statements that let us know how serious the situation was."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Farking Bastage posted:

The section of road he got me on is a newly developed area, six lanes, 5 miles long, and 45 MPH. There's nothing out there but trees and radar guns, and typically the only people who drive it are commuting to/from work.

Cops just adore 465, the highway that surrounds Indianapolis. Three or four lanes, heavy traffic, speed limit of 55. Actually going slow enough to be legal would constitute a major safety hazard, and I've seen them just slide right up behind somebody in the middle of a pack of cars and guide them through traffic to the shoulder on multiple occasions. It's a road where complying with the law would be unsafe, so the cops just farm tickets whenever they please.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/09/24/3333131_sc-trooper-charged-with-felony.html?rh=1

I don't get why the officer wasn't charged with attempted murder?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

SC Code
SECTION 16-3-29. Attempted murder.

A person who, with intent to kill, attempts to kill another person with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied, commits the offense of attempted murder.

He is being charged, so that is a pretty good thing. The assault and battery also might stick much better.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Vahakyla posted:

On-duty officers kill another on-duty officer in a domestic dispute.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/09/st_john_parish_deputy_kills_an.html

That reads a lot like suicide by cop.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

He is being charged, so that is a pretty good thing. The assault and battery also might stick much better.

He stopped the guy to murder the gently caress out of him though :confused:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

He stopped the guy to murder the gently caress out of him though :confused:

I'm sure and the jury will be sure, too.

If he did, why'd he stop firing before the dude was dead?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

I'm sure and the jury will be sure, too.

If he did, why'd he stop firing before the dude was dead?

Nah, I changed my mind after watching the video and hearing the audio a few more times.. I think he could have been charged with attempted murder because it could be argued that the officer told the dude to get his license so he could then shoot and claim the perpetrator "lunged for a weapon" or something...

Now thinking about it it's loving scary to think how many times the cops have used the excuse that "he lunged or reached for a hidden weapon" in order to straight up execute someone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nah, I changed my mind after watching the video and hearing the audio a few more times.. I think he could have been charged with attempted murder because it could be argued that the officer told the dude to get his license so he could then shoot and claim the perpetrator "lunged for a weapon" or something...

Now thinking about it it's loving scary to think how many times the cops have used the excuse that "he lunged or reached for a hidden weapon" in order to straight up execute someone.

You're insane if you think they could get a jury to convict a cop on attempted murder when "the officer as a sworn and trained police officer feared for his life at the time." No way you could prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

You're insane if you think they could get a jury to convict a cop on attempted murder when "the officer as a sworn and trained police officer feared for his life at the time." No way you could prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt.

Oh, I know that a jury would probably not convict him. I guess you're right, but I think the cop still wanted to just murder the dude.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh, I know that a jury would probably not convict him. I guess you're right, but I think the cop still wanted to just murder the dude.

Do you think all cops that freak out and shoot someone are out for murder? We have so many unarmed people killed by cops it's practically SOP so I don't see any motive for murder, just another cop making sure he goes home that night. No chances.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
That man is going to make millions in a civil suit holy poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grem posted:

That man is going to make millions in a civil suit holy poo poo.

Maybe. They'll be a settlement to get it over with quick but the officer and the PD both have strong civil immunity claims.

Plus the money will go mostly to medical care, being unemployed, and lawyers.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think all cops that freak out and shoot someone are out for murder? We have so many unarmed people killed by cops it's practically SOP so I don't see any motive for murder, just another cop making sure he goes home that night. No chances.

I understand what you're saying now... but idk it just seems way too shady to me the way he told him to get his license and then FREAKS OUT AND STARTS FIRING

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I understand what you're saying now... but idk it just seems way too shady to me the way he told him to get his license and then FREAKS OUT AND STARTS FIRING

It seems to be sheer incompetence, twitchiness, some racism and hefty amount of retardation instead of malice.
Like said, he starts getting progressively worse in his mental state after the shooting when he is talking to the man and he fired really poorly from that distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Vahakyla posted:

It seems to be sheer incompetence, twitchiness, some racism and hefty amount of retardation instead of malice.
Like said, he starts getting progressively worse in his mental state after the shooting when he is talking to the man and he fired really poorly from that distance.

Yeah, he freaked the gently caress out. Why is the question, and it is an important question. He asked the dude for ID, so the guy went to get it, which was interpreted by the cop as a hostile or dangerous act. I wouldn't be comfortable with a guy jumping into his car that way either, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't have shot him in the back.

The cop didn't pull the guy over to murder him, the cop just freaked the gently caress out.

Most men carry their ID in their wallet, so I don't think the cop expected him to go back to the vehicle. The cop is a dumb rear end, but I doubt he set the guy up to get killed.

• Locked thread