Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you're going to get fast food, you already don't give a gently caress about your arteries and just want something drowning in salt, fat, oil, and/or sugar.

McDonalds has just as much salt/fat/oil/sugar as everything else, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

McDonalds burgers have a much higher chance of tasting like poo poo than other fast food places. I know it's kind of an oxymoron to say that you should at least try to eat GOOD fast food, but all McDonalds has going for it is that it's dirt cheap and that is not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Life hack : Put some potatos in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until soft, pour out water, add milk and butter to taste, use a fork or potato masher to smoosh it all together, and eat them off the floor like a animal, you piece of poo poo.

You did it wrong the first time. I fixed it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lifehack: Don't piss off the Subway employees by making them jump through a bunch of hoops, because there's a discreet cut they can make that will make the sandwich fall the gently caress apart as soon as you unwrap it.

PostNouveau has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Sep 25, 2014

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I've never seen that, so how does it work?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

karl fungus posted:

I only know of it second-hand from someone who worked there about a decade ago. He didn't go into specifics.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think I've gotten that cut before, and I doubt I personally did anything to piss off the employee, as I usually try to be polite and reasonable. I can only assume I was a victim of "bad day" syndrome, and got lucky.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Depends on the fast food place and the item in question. Like the BK Veggie isn't listed the menu (at least anywhere I've been), but you can pretty much order it at any Burger King and they don't really care because it doesn't take long to make.

Something like the taco salad at Chipotle where it takes extra steps and what not, I could see them pretty much telling the customer to go gently caress themselves in service industry speak.

Yeah, my first job was at a McDonald's, and only lasted a month before I burned the poo poo out of my hand (still have the scar nearly 20 years later) and the most they were willing to do for me was unpaid leave for the rest of the day, not even a goddamn band-aid. But we would get the "grilled cheese" all the time, which was easy, because it was just cheese on a toasted bun. Once I got a guy however that really gained the system, because he custom ordered his cheeseburger into a double quarter pounder without having to pay for the difference. I couldn't believe this guy's nerve when I saw the order screen display that. In the same vein, when opening once my manager decided to make himself a breakfast fajita, years before that was on the menu, as we already had the ingredients on hand.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Are the rules on how much of what to use at Subway different if you don't order any meat? I get vegetable subs from there and they will pile on tomatoes, onions, and peppers until it's mounded up so far that the bread isn't even visible when I unwrap it. I have to use a fork and eat it as a salad until I work my way down to the bread.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Sep 25, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hirayuki posted:

I think if they're specifically asking for whole milk right out of the gate, they've pretty much thrown "healthy" out the window.
I've never been able to understand how anyone can think that getting low-fat milk is noticeably healthier. Full-cream milk is between 3.2% and 3.8% fat. Low fat is generally 2%. Even if you go for no-fat milk, how much milk are you drinking that this even matters?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I just find full-fat milk really gross tasting, so I like 2%-0%.

I know, it's terrible.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I'm a supervisor at KFC and pretty much all of the "secret" menu items listed on that site are either regular menu items or things no KFC is going to have the ingredients for like that hot pocket bowl or the poutine.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you think about it, the whole concept of restaurants is a pretty big life hack. Go order food and get meals that you like every time, and you don't even need to know how to cook them! And they even wash the plates for you!

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Triarii posted:

If you think about it, the whole concept of restaurants is a pretty big life hack. Go order food and get meals that you like every time, and you don't even need to know how to cook them! And they even wash the plates for you!

And if you treat the waiter like poo poo you'll get some complimentary spittle! Win-win.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
#lifehack: don't use the drive-thru if you are a cop

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

SystemLogoff posted:

I just find full-fat milk really gross tasting, so I like 2%-0%.

I know, it's terrible.

The fact that full-fat and lowfat milk taste so goddamned different despite the fat content not being all that much percentagewise pretty much tells you all you need to know about how much we are all primed for eating fat

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here is the only secret menu guide you need.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

tacodaemon posted:

The fact that full-fat and lowfat milk taste so goddamned different despite the fat content not being all that much percentagewise pretty much tells you all you need to know about how much we are all primed for eating fat

That we are totally primed for it because whole milk is delicious?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

That we are totally primed for it because whole milk is delicious?

Well, I was talking about fat and salt chemically hitting all kinds of pleasure buttons in the human mind, but maybe.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Tiggum posted:

I've never been able to understand how anyone can think that getting low-fat milk is noticeably healthier. Full-cream milk is between 3.2% and 3.8% fat. Low fat is generally 2%. Even if you go for no-fat milk, how much milk are you drinking that this even matters?

Whole milk has 148 calories per cup, while skim has 83 calories per cup. I drink milk regularly, so 44% less calories is a good thing. I'm not sure how that's confusing, milk is delicious and healthy.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Well, I was talking about fat and salt chemically hitting all kinds of pleasure buttons in the human mind, but maybe.

Yep, there's even something called "rabbit starvation" when people eat nothing but lean meat that causes them to completely lose their mind desperately looking for dietary fats.

#lifehack: lose weight fast by eating only small game! Psychologists hate it!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Turfahurf posted:

I'm a supervisor at KFC and pretty much all of the "secret" menu items listed on that site are either regular menu items or things no KFC is going to have the ingredients for like that hot pocket bowl or the poutine.

Regarding the poutine, I'm sure you can convince someone to dump the gravy and cheese from their regular menu on top of the fries from their regular menu (also, Poutine is/was a menu item at some Canadian locations).

Lifehack: People might help you out if you ask politely.

Most of the "secret menu" poo poo, at least originally, was "sometimes you can order regional, discontinued, or seasonal items even if they're not openly listed and you're lucky."

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Humboldt Squid posted:

Yep, there's even something called "rabbit starvation" when people eat nothing but lean meat that causes them to completely lose their mind desperately looking for dietary fats.

#lifehack: lose weight fast by eating only small game! Psychologists hate it!

Yeah a girls I know who used to body build would get loving stir crazy before competitions, and would just take a swig out of an olive oil bottle when she knew she was getting off the rails.

#lifehack: lift weights and eat nothing but lean protein, you'll go insane and probably poo poo yourself a few times, and will look like a cartoon stereotype while you're doing it!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

karl fungus posted:

Making the "hinge" too small by cutting too far into the bread. It's such a dick move that I've never seen anyone actually do it intentionally, because it just means you have to re-make the sandwich and get bitched at by the customer when he inevitably brings the mess back, and was already being a loving chode if he inspired you to ruin his lunch. Not sure why you'd want to have to willingly deal with a twice-baked jerk when all you're trying to do is get customers out the door, but whatever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Are the rules on how much of what to use at Subway different if you don't order any meat? I get vegetable subs from there and they will pile on tomatoes, onions, and peppers until it's mounded up so far that the bread isn't even visible when I unwrap it. I have to use a fork and eat it as a salad until I work my way down to the bread.

I was trained with the 3 things on a 6-inch, 6 things on a footlong, and particularly on the subject of olives "add 3/6 more if they ask for more, if they ask for more after that, add a few more, if they ask for MORE, say you need to charge them extra." I don't know if veggie subs were an exception but knowing that boss they weren't.

As previously mentioned most subway employees don't give a gently caress unless they have a manager leering at them. Except the time this dude acted like the handful of olives I put on his sandwhich was practically nothing. It's cool if you want a literal mountain of olives on your sub, just don't act like I'm the rear end in a top hat for not immediately doing that.

In general the "menu-hacks" poo poo is stupid because it's going to be subject to regional differences, employees not knowing what the gently caress you're talking about, or not giving a gently caress. Also trying to order in a clever way as to get something slightly cheaper will probably just make employees hate you.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Another stupid life hack type article, except this one is titled People Who Are Too Good For This World. Why yes, it IS Buzzfeed. How did you know? It has some of the things already posted in this thread and more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bean_shadow posted:

Another stupid life hack type article, except this one is titled People Who Are Too Good For This World. Why yes, it IS Buzzfeed. How did you know? It has some of the things already posted in this thread and more.

#2 reminds me of when I lived in the dorms in college. The problem there was the furnaces were on a schedule, so the first day they were on had nothing to do with the temperature out. We were in Michigan, home to the least predictable weather. Meaning we had a freak Indian Summer that year of it being in the 80's in October, and we weren't on the first floor so heat rose anyways. And the heaters were on. Fine. We ended up filling a 30-gallon garbage can with ice from the machine on our floor, and sticking a box fan atop it at an angle. Cold air flowed in our room at least.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

bean_shadow posted:

WTF is this poo poo?

Also, peel, boil, and likely macerate all your fruit. Instant pie filling made right in your dishwasher.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If your machine can do cold and gentle washes, it's not bad. I've done this before when making tons and tons of preserves.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
http://hackthemenu.com/burger-king/secret-menu/bk-club/

quote:

Burger King BK Club
The Burger King "BK Club" from the BK secret menu when a Chicken Sandwich is too plain for your tastes. Hidden on the Burger King secret menu is this BK Club sandwich that is made to imitate a chicken club sandwich. As you can probably imagine, this BK secret menu item is the deliciously crispy chicken sandwich topped with mouth-watering bacon, tomato, and cheese. Can't wait to try it yet? Hitch a ride over to your closest Burger King and grab the BK Club off their secret menu. Treat yourself to a BK Club and just sit back and enjoy this delicious masterpiece. The Burger King Secret Menu may not be as well known as others, but it sure has some delicious creations!

What kind of sad, sad person would describe a single, paper thin slice of precooked and microwaved bacon as 'mouth-watering'.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nicholas posted:

http://hackthemenu.com/burger-king/secret-menu/bk-club/

What kind of sad, sad person would describe a single, paper thin slice of precooked and microwaved bacon as 'mouth-watering'.

The Burger King marketing guy?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Nicholas posted:

Burger King BK Club
The Burger King "BK Club" from the BK secret menu when a Chicken Sandwich is too plain for your tastes. Hidden on the Burger King secret menu is this BK Club sandwich that is made to imitate a chicken club sandwich. As you can probably imagine, this BK secret menu item is the deliciously crispy chicken sandwich topped with mouth-watering bacon, tomato, and cheese. Can't wait to try it yet? Hitch a ride over to your closest Burger King and grab the BK Club off their secret menu. Treat yourself to a BK Club and just sit back and enjoy this delicious masterpiece. The Burger King Secret Menu may not be as well known as others, but it sure has some delicious creations!

Bonus: read this with a Vincent Price voice

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Goosed it. posted:

WTF is this poo poo?

Also, peel, boil, and likely macerate all your fruit. Instant pie filling made right in your dishwasher.

Yes, finally, a way to quickly clean all these fuckin' oranges I then have to peel manually anyway! :shepface:

What is this doing? Roombas work on hard floors already. :confused:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

cobalt impurity posted:

Yes, finally, a way to quickly clean all these fuckin' oranges I then have to peel manually anyway! :shepface:

What is this doing?

What it's meant to be doing: mopping the floor

What it's actually doing: pushing a bunch of dirt and poo poo all over your apartment and probably stopping the Roomba from actually cleaning anything

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Radio Help posted:

Bonus: read this with a Vincent Price voice

Oh man, yes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

cyberia posted:

What it's meant to be doing: mopping the floor

What it's actually doing: pushing a bunch of dirt and poo poo all over your apartment and probably stopping the Roomba from actually cleaning anything

If he mounted it at a slight angle, it should work ok enough I guess. It's kinda wasteful since the roomba can vacuum on tile anyway.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

You love your Roomba, but did you know that you can get it to clean your floor too? Check out this one simple tip:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

karl fungus posted:

In addition to the previous method I saw this at I think a Quiznos so I assume it works at Subway too: There is a step where they make sure everything is straight by placing the back of the knife against the sandwich. If you do it with the front of the knife and press and wiggle slightly you can basically cause the sandwich to crumble once it gets undone since the back "bread hinge" area is already pretty weak.

I know this not because I am a devious ex-sandwich artist but because I saw them training a new hire how not to do it one day.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Triarii posted:

You love your Roomba, but did you know that you can get it to clean your floor too?

I can clean the floor with my cat's favorite toy?!

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

Phraggah has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Nov 11, 2021

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

Walk around your house with onions jammed up your nose #lifehack

Buy a diamond saw so you can cheat out 25 cents' worth of temporary tattoos and stale jawbruisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Elliotw2 posted:

If he mounted it at a slight angle, it should work ok enough I guess. It's kinda wasteful since the roomba can vacuum on tile anyway.

One simple trick to make this lifehack good: mount the Swiffer pad on the rear end end of the Roomba, to mop up anything it can't vacuum.

Though given Geoff Ramsey's recent Roomba vs. dogshit troubles, a bulldozer blade on the front of the robo-vac is probably a good idea.

Remember the one that was going around a few years ago with "press just above the bridge of your nose"?

I slipped and scratched my cornea, and spent the wee hours of Christmas morning in the ER and the 24-hour pharmacy. The docs and nurses were laughing it up over the fact that I poked my eye out while completely sober.