Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What did James315 get permabanned for?

If you actually READ the article you'd know. :v:

(He got permabanned for "trial abuse." It was a total false positive and they reversed it after he petitioned.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What did James315 get permabanned for?

In the article he says, it just randomly happened after six months of playing Eve. Just one day, poof! The reason given was trial-abuse, apparently. Even though he didn't have a trial running at the time.

He then send a petition and a GM just randomly unbanned him. With only a form Email as explanation. CCP moves in mysterious ways. :v:

Edit:

Son of a bitch, why do you guys post that fast only if I'm trying to answer a question?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Glory of Arioch posted:

(He got permabanned for "trial abuse." It was a total false positive and they reversed it after he petitioned.)

I'm frankly a bit surprised that he didn't get caught up in the latest shenanigans, not because he actually had anything to do with it, but for the same reason Bob Starseeker or whoever got pegged.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

The first round of module tiericide blog has been posted. Rip Arbalest launchers, I hardly knew ye.

Also RIP every Goonwiki fit.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Why the hell did they remove the 'Arbalest' Modules?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

NyxBiker posted:

Why the hell did they remove the 'Arbalest' Modules?

You didn't read the devblog.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

He also didn't read a whole slew of other things, he's just posting for the sake of it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

deadtear posted:

You didn't read the devblog.

To be honest, tiericide as a concept is a good thing but I feel like deleting the old flavour names loses something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

To be honest, tiericide as a concept is a good thing but I feel like deleting the old flavour names loses something.

I hope they remove them all and replace them with something descriptive of their actual niche and purpose. Or just do the second half of that and shorten up the old name and put it at the end so players used to the old name can recognize it, I guess.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So that EVE news show thing happened. They were totally vague about it, but they said that power projection is getting nerfed severely before the end of the year, devblog with details to be released sometime around mid-October. (I would assume before or during Vegas.)

We basically have zero information beyond that, but caps, supercaps, titan bridges and jump bridges were all mentioned.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

eriktown posted:

So that EVE news show thing happened. They were totally vague about it, but they said that power projection is getting nerfed severely before the end of the year, devblog with details to be released sometime around mid-October. (I would assume before or during Vegas.)

We basically have zero information beyond that, but caps, supercaps, titan bridges and jump bridges were all mentioned.

gently caress sov nullsec basically? Time to pull up stakes and move back to syndicate, S-U8A4 it is.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

eriktown posted:

Betcha this qualifies as "fixing sov" according to CCP.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There's a pretty good chance that at least one of those will be buffed instead, accidentally.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
CCP will probably prep us for ~player built stargates~ by nerfing every other method of movement so that the blocs all have to throw huge piles of isk at the problem and have a :turianass: reason :turianass: to actually build them.

:tinfoil:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

Did someone actually read it? It was like 10... pages long, and somone in the comments mentioned it was 16 pages total.

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013

eriktown posted:

I'm going to preemptively be disappointed at whatever this ends up being because :ccp: rarely does anything to help nullsec, and rarely gets any change right first time :argh:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

In the article he says, it just randomly happened after six months of playing Eve. Just one day, poof! The reason given was trial-abuse, apparently. Even though he didn't have a trial running at the time.

He then send a petition and a GM just randomly unbanned him. With only a form Email as explanation. CCP moves in mysterious ways. :v:

Edit:

Son of a bitch, why do you guys post that fast only if I'm trying to answer a question?

CCP is pretty loving stupid, I got banned for RMT after buying an aeon pilot from knar that I bought with isk. It was eventually overturned but only because DJ happened to be playing league of legends in gaming mumble and knew who KNar was.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

eriktown posted:

Do you have a link to this thing?

e - found it, the nullsec stuff starts at 33:40: http://www.twitch.tv/ccp/b/572060538

Oh god, Greyscale is in charge of the nullsec redesign. The threadnaughts will be amazing.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe they should give up and auto-assign alliances to a coalition.

At random :unsmigghh:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

The one curious thing is that they're keeping the progression of modules Tier 1 < Trade-Offs of {Named Modules} < Tier 2 < Cosmos < Faction < Deadspace < Officer.
That progression is ok. But I was hoping for something like a stat-squish in the total difference between T1 and the top officer mod.

In particular boosting T1 to be somewhere around old meta 2 for the "main" stat of the mod (DPS for weapons, HP for shield or armor mods, etc) and then having the metas be the variants with improvements for the various "secondary" stat lines would make Tech1 mods more worth using. T1 mods in use would be helpful for industrial players -- especially newer players. Right now the uselessness of many T1 mods plus the fact that you can only get 50% of your minerals back has make them a huge trap for someone that wants to manufacture but doesn't know everything about the minutia. Then whatever varieties of meta that still exist are useful (even critical in the case of easy-fitting ones) but not critical.

After that, some categories of deadspace & officer mods could really use a haircut to their top potential. In particular resist mods. Sure they're rare and expensive, but they get put on the most expensive ships in the game and are a big contributing factor to the out-of-control EHP & rep power of the ~apex force~. 64% resist mods are stupid.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I was hoping T1 would actually be useful. At the least, it would be nice to be able to manufacture Meta items.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hope they remove them all and replace them with something descriptive of their actual niche and purpose. Or just do the second half of that and shorten up the old name and put it at the end so players used to the old name can recognize it, I guess.

From the dev blog:

The “named module” names that will be used in our Oceanus changes are:

Upgraded- Used for named modules where no specialization is possible
Compact- Used for named modules that specialize in reduced fitting cost
Enduring- Used for named modules that specialize in lower cap use or otherwise longer running time
Ample- Used for named modules that specialize in extra capacity
Scoped- Used for named modules that specialize in longer range
Restrained- Used for named modules that specialize in reduced drawbacks

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

OK, managed to run EVE on linux. Launching straight from wine on a separate desktop works, using my Windows installation. Had a problem with black textures but solved that by installing libtxc_dxtn (32-bit version specifically). Performance isn't amazing but I only really wanted to be able to do PI/industry stuff anyway (and my 'work' system isn't what you would call a normal linux) :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That James315 article was quite interesting, even if he has no concept of brevity.

I do find it sad (but not implausible) that Bob Starseeker got nuked for idling in a isk doubling channel. If that's all there was to it, I hope it gets overturned.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Nerfing power projection is a bad place to start off on the null changes. In the short term it means that it's going to be more inconvenient to get to the few objectives actually worth fighting for, especially if they nerf titan bridge range. They shouldn't touch that, they should encourage the ability to sling your subcaps out farther than your caps can go in one jump in to support them. Fast content at increased risk.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Did someone actually read it? It was like 10... pages long, and somone in the comments mentioned it was 16 pages total.

I did, it was very interesting. It didn't tell me much I didn't know, but it was a well laid out presentation of the facts.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

omeg posted:

OK, managed to run EVE on linux. Launching straight from wine on a separate desktop works, using my Windows installation. Had a problem with black textures but solved that by installing libtxc_dxtn (32-bit version specifically). Performance isn't amazing but I only really wanted to be able to do PI/industry stuff anyway (and my 'work' system isn't what you would call a normal linux) :v:

Did you winetricks dx3d9?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

darth cookie posted:

That James315 article was quite interesting, even if he has no concept of brevity.

I do find it sad (but not implausible) that Bob Starseeker got nuked for idling in a isk doubling channel. If that's all there was to it, I hope it gets overturned.

Bob took an excessive amount of glee in making scam victims squirm, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ban is warranted and they have something firm on him.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Red Crown posted:

Nerfing power projection is a bad place to start off on the null changes. In the short term it means that it's going to be more inconvenient to get to the few objectives actually worth fighting for, especially if they nerf titan bridge range. They shouldn't touch that, they should encourage the ability to sling your subcaps out farther than your caps can go in one jump in to support them. Fast content at increased risk.

Sure. While we're at it, make Titan Bridge inside forcefield = false.

Serious post.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Sure. While we're at it, make Titan Bridge inside forcefield = false.

Serious post.

In the interest of death to all supers/titans I agree.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I think it's pretty neat to have this sort of back and forth with the developers - the sandbox has evolved into a Cold War and they're actively trying to fix it. I think they have it in them to make eve a better game.

That said, I'm unsubbed so vOv.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Oh look, it's time to play a game other than Eve while these go away.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

darth cookie posted:

Betcha this qualifies as "fixing sov" according to CCP.

Just the first step.

Red Crown posted:

Think of it as low hanging fruit, because it is. While it may not be ideal as a starting point it's something they can do with a relatively minimal programmer time investment, which is good because their programmers are all busy doing other things. Revisit the fanfest keynote speech, have a look at what's on the roadmap, think about what things are necessarily prerequisites for another thing, and it'll make sense. :)

e:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 26, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

mynnna posted:

Just the first step.

Think of it as low hanging fruit, because it is. While it may not be ideal as a starting point it's something they can do with a relatively minimal programmer time investment, which is good because their programmers are all busy doing other things. Revisit the fanfest keynote speech, have a look at what's on the roadmap, think about what things are necessarily prerequisites for another thing, and it'll make sense. :)

Link me the roadmap :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Khablam posted:

Bob took an excessive amount of glee in making scam victims squirm, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ban is warranted and they have something firm on him.

Wait, :tears: are now bannable if they come from any source other than the scam victim eve-mailing you on their own?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LemonDrizzle posted:

e - found it, the nullsec stuff starts at 33:40: http://www.twitch.tv/ccp/b/572060538

Oh god, Greyscale is in charge of the nullsec redesign. The threadnaughts will be amazing.

Greyscale's shirt got a mild chuckle out of me.

Also: Guard confusing a corn dog with a carrot :cripes:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

blowfish posted:

Wait, :tears: are now bannable if they come from any source other than the scam victim eve-mailing you on their own?

That's pretty much why this is a big deal.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sir_Substance posted:

If James is telling the truth, and if "tears are bannable if they come from any other source[...]" is what actually happened. Funny thing about bans, though, is that CCP very rarely comments on them so y'know, claim whatever the gently caress you want, it's not like anyone can prove you wrong.

That's pretty much why this should be treated skeptically.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Less bad than it sounds, honestly. The man had a major role in the industry revamp, which turned out fine. Also, "in charge of" doesn't necessarily mean "has absolute authority over everything", could just be "the man in charge of coordinating cross-team work".

Though that'd be something I'd expect to fall under Scarpia (the new lead game designer), so :iiam:

Still, having worked with him on CSM8 and now on CSM9, "Greyscale is touching anything" isn't actually an automatic source of trepidation anymore.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 26, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sir_Substance posted:

It absolutely is. I mentioned before that Sociopaths:Online is in danger of going away and this is the kind of bullshit I was talking about. It's particularly funny how the same GM who banned everyone involved idling in the new scam chatroom ended up refusing their petitions about it. Unless there's sufficient forums and games "journalist" outrage, it's unlikely anything will ever be done about this bullshit even if we're charitable to :ccp: and assume that particular GM is overeager at enforcing the harrassment rules.

I completely agree with everyone who called the Erotica1 banning a bad idea no matter how big of an rear end in a top hat the guy was, and CCP shouldn't enforce arbitrary rules about out-of-game behaviour. Also everyone who cried about how that was totally justified because of :qq:mental torture:qq: can gently caress off both because the actual so-called abuse victim turned out to actually not give a gently caress and because voluntarily joining someone else's teamspeak is your own drat fault. There didn't use to be and there should not be anyone to bail you out in the world of internet spaceships.

It is also inconsistent that actual threats on people's life and attempts to get them fired didn't warrant permabans according to CCP, unlike bonus room bullshit about in-game money which at the very worst aims for teamspeak rage and tearful shitposting.

Speaking of which, everyone should join in posting on eveo about this.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yup, no harm no foul, and it'd be the victim's fault anyways. :mrapig:

That aside, the Erotica1 ban did set a terrible precedent that only seems to be leading into even worse ones as :ccp: gets more assertive over how it feels about player conduct.

• Locked thread