Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Samsung gave us a glimpse at its next smartwatch (there have been a few) at IFA, and tonight it's announcing that, surprise, you'll be able to buy and use the Gear S in the US this fall. There's little in the way of details, but it's coming on all four major carriers -- AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile -- and promises more information "soon."

Hold on with Samsung's solid record of making poo poo watches that no one buys and all indications of this being in the same boat, basically zero demand for a watch that makes phone calls and both Google and Apple making big and solid smartwatch pushes why are all the carriers signing up for this?

Part of me admires Samsung's willingness to throw as many turds as they can come up with as fast as they can at the wall and carriers now willing to take some risk in devices but come on. I mean this isn't hard, Samsung knows how to make OLEDs, they know how to make watches, put a OLED with a decent battery in a case that doesn't even have to be round designed by a competent watch designer with Google's software that most people agree isn't complete poo poo unlike the Gear and the Fit and you could probably move some units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Hold on with Samsung's solid record of making poo poo watches that no one buys and all indications of this being in the same boat, basically zero demand for a watch that makes phone calls and both Google and Apple making big and solid smartwatch pushes why are all the carriers signing up for this?

Part of me admires Samsung's willingness to throw as many turds as they can come up with as fast as they can at the wall and carriers now willing to take some risk in devices but come on. I mean this isn't hard, Samsung knows how to make OLEDs, they know how to make watches, put a OLED with a decent battery in a case that doesn't even have to be round designed by a competent watch designer with Google's software that most people agree isn't complete poo poo unlike the Gear and the Fit and you could probably move some units.

My entirely uneducated guess is that they figure the smart watch market is so new it's still anyone's game. With Samsung traditionally being more willing to accommodate carriers than Apple or Google they figure they might as well see what happens. If Samsung can get a dominant position in this space (they most likely won't) carriers would have a better shot at pushing their own services through them than the more tightly controlled Apple\Google platforms.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So I've had this 360 for just about a week now and except for the one day where I was on navigation for about 4 hours, I haven't ended the day under ~55% battery.

I'm gonna need to carry a Qi pad (and this Mophie 12000mAh battery pack) if I travel with this thing, but I think that's pretty ok.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Presumably that's with the ambient thing disabled?

Edit: Post now in actual English.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 25, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tunga posted:

Presumably that's why the ambient thing disabled?

Yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A thought occurs to me. If Moto really is using an inventory of old SoCs from the MotoACTV and Droid 2, presumably their supply isn't infinite and no one is making more of them.

I just wonder how big the production run for the 360 with that SoC in it could possibly be.

The inventory situation is horrible though. Both online outlets are sold out and Best Buy are only getting the watches 2 and 3 at a time which usually sell that very day. I bet Best Buy is regretting taking up half a shelf for a dedicated Moto 360 display when they don't have any to even sell.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How are people outside of America getting the watches? I'm in Canada and people are selling them for over 400 but even still those have dried up.

I'm guessing it's a huge song and dance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How are people outside of America getting the watches?

How are people INSIDE America getting the watches even? Can't buy them from anywhere.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

How are people INSIDE America getting the watches even? Can't buy them from anywhere.
One of my coworkers got his in two days ago from Motorola. He didn't have to do anything special as far as I know.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

A thought occurs to me. If Moto really is using an inventory of old SoCs from the MotoACTV and Droid 2, presumably their supply isn't infinite and no one is making more of them.

I just wonder how big the production run for the 360 with that SoC in it could possibly be.

The inventory situation is horrible though. Both online outlets are sold out and Best Buy are only getting the watches 2 and 3 at a time which usually sell that very day. I bet Best Buy is regretting taking up half a shelf for a dedicated Moto 360 display when they don't have any to even sell.

Release Moto 360 ver 2! Bigger battery, better processor, better screen.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I dunno, it's turning one customer engagement into many as people have to keep coming back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/25/motorola-just-randomly-released-the-moto-360-in-stone-at-best-buy/

Looks like they retired the grey band for some reason and have changed it to stone which is slightly lighter.

And that's currently in stock at BestBuy.com

I managed to order (finally) and should arrive by Tuesday.

butt dickus posted:

One of my coworkers got his in two days ago from Motorola. He didn't have to do anything special as far as I know.

They were only in stock for a very brief period last week to be ordered. They went out of stock on the Motorola website quickly after that and couldn't be ordered.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 25, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/25/motorola-just-randomly-released-the-moto-360-in-stone-at-best-buy/

Looks like they retired the grey band for some reason and have changed it to stone which is slightly lighter.

And that's currently in stock at BestBuy.com

I managed to order (finally) and should arrive by Tuesday.

The dark gray band was always supposed to be limited edition.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

The dark gray band was always supposed to be limited edition.

But I had thought they were going to switch to a brown leather band once it was done, not a lighter gray.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I've had my G watch a few days now and I have to say Google Wear is just so immature I'm glad I only paid $115 and not $250 for a Moto 360. In raw actual functionality I would put it just a step above my Pebble once you consider the readability of the ePaper display coupled with the battery, size and weight.

It's probably worth $115-$150 but there are a lot of Google now voice commands that work well on the phone and would work well on the watch but are inexplicably broken to the point where it makes a lot of it seem pointless. Wear 2.0 is apparently imminent and it's been heavily implied that is going to be fleshed out a lot more so I would suggest holding out until 2.0 and seeing if something launches with it that isn't making a bunch of compromises.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

I walked into a Best Buy on September 11th and went "Hey can I preorder a Moto 360?" and they told me probably not and that the website says in store only and that it wouldn't work. But I insisted they at least try because I wanted to spend money on a consumer electronic I didn't need. And then after about 15 minutes of him clicking around he goes "Hey it's going to let us mail one to your house. Estimated arrival between the 17th and 19th" and then I got it on the 14th right at my front door.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I've had my G watch a few days now and I have to say Google Wear is just so immature I'm glad I only paid $115 and not $250 for a Moto 360. In raw actual functionality I would put it just a step above my Pebble once you consider the readability of the ePaper display coupled with the battery, size and weight.

It's probably worth $115-$150 but there are a lot of Google now voice commands that work well on the phone and would work well on the watch but are inexplicably broken to the point where it makes a lot of it seem pointless. Wear 2.0 is apparently imminent and it's been heavily implied that is going to be fleshed out a lot more so I would suggest holding out until 2.0 and seeing if something launches with it that isn't making a bunch of compromises.

Well you actually received it so that's a bunch of steps above a Pebble.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Well you actually received it so that's a bunch of steps above a Pebble.

What? Is there some Pebble shipping problem I hadn't heard about? They have been widely available in stores for months and months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

What? Is there some Pebble shipping problem I hadn't heard about? They have been widely available in stores for months and months.

Pebbles sent to Canada tend to disappear.

You have to be really amateur to mess up US to Canada in 2014.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wouldn't the 360 get Wear 2.0 anyways?

I'm considering selling mine, I've worn it for about a week but otherwise it looks perfect. It's the grey leather version. Anyone here want it for $250+shipping? I'd provide you pics, etc. of course.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Radbot posted:

I'm considering selling mine, I've worn it for about a week but otherwise it looks perfect. It's the grey leather version. Anyone here want it for $250+shipping? I'd provide you pics, etc. of course.

I think all of them are getting wear 2.0

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Radbot posted:

Go to the goonmart forum. We're not allowed to sell outside of there.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Radbot posted:

Yes but the processor/display/battery life are way behind the other devices which are majorly flawed for their own reasons. $250 is a lot to pay for a meh device running meh software, 2.0 could bring massive improvements in software/battery life that change that calculus or we could see new hardware launch alongside it that isn't making so many major compromises.

Put an OLED and a Snapdragon in the Moto 360 and I will pay $300+ for it right this minute (Assuming battery life would improve as dramatically as one would expect), make major improvements in the software and I might overlook hardware deficiencies but as it stand now $250 just seems like a lot of money to pay for something half-baked all around.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Yes but the processor/display/battery life are way behind the other devices which are majorly flawed for their own reasons. $250 is a lot to pay for a meh device running meh software, 2.0 could bring massive improvements in software/battery life that change that calculus or we could see new hardware launch alongside it that isn't making so many major compromises.

Put an OLED and a Snapdragon in the Moto 360 and I will pay $300+ for it right this minute (Assuming battery life would improve as dramatically as one would expect), make major improvements in the software and I might overlook hardware deficiencies but as it stand now $250 just seems like a lot of money to pay for something half-baked all around.

The first hurdle to Android devices receiving updates is not the carriers, but the SOC manufactures. They have to first agree to update their chipset drivers to support the new Android binaries or source or whatever. Only after this happens can an update proceed. Maybe for minor updates you don't have to go that far, but if they want to bring Android L to Android Wear it will almost certainly require the SOC OEM to assist. The TI chip in the 360 is so old, I find it hard to believe that TI wants to support it any more.
It's such a :psyduck: choice. They must have had a ton sitting around, but why?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They had a ton sitting around because it was used in the MotoACTV.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Why is that android wear notification suddenly appearing? I haven't ever connected a wear device to my phone.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Picked up a 360 tonight, they had 4 in stock at the best buy I was at. Grabbed the black even though I like the silver. Recommendations for a solid twitter wear app?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Picked up a 360 tonight, they had 4 in stock at the best buy I was at. Grabbed the black even though I like the silver. Recommendations for a solid twitter wear app?

Also got my 360 today. I'd love to hear people's app suggestions if they have any so far. I've seen a lot of people on the internet talking about installing launchers for the 360, but I haven't found a need yet. Is there much out there yet?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

They had a ton sitting around because it was used in the MotoACTV.

Yeah I meant they had a ton sitting around because of that but why use them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm sure Motorola executives are quite aware of the sunk cost fallacy and why would google put up with supporting such ancient SOC on a nascent platform that they consider very important?

The only thing I can think of is Google fully intends on supporting poo poo chips long term on the platform to get watches at very low price points going forward and having a flagship using poo poo chips sends a message that if someone wants to get into the game with poo poo chips that meet the performance specs they aren't going to be abandoned by Google.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Apparently the new update helps with the battery.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Couldn't tell. It's as far as I can see in line with what I was already seeing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

According to what?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

According to what?

Random people on reddit

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I'm sure Motorola executives are quite aware of the sunk cost fallacy and why would google put up with supporting such ancient SOC on a nascent platform that they consider very important?

The only thing I can think of is Google fully intends on supporting poo poo chips long term on the platform to get watches at very low price points going forward and having a flagship using poo poo chips sends a message that if someone wants to get into the game with poo poo chips that meet the performance specs they aren't going to be abandoned by Google.

Fun fact: research shows that being aware of fallacies and biases often does little to prevent yourself from falling victim to them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

The first barrier is does TI want to support them. With out the chip OEM producing chipset drivers, no android updates can be guaranteed to work, see this interesting HTC infographic:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

It seemed to help mine. Before the update I would take it off the charger at 9:30AM, and it would be nearly dead by 9:30 PM. Yesterday, it was off the charger at 9:30, and when I went to bed at 1:00 AM, I still had over 30% left.

So either the battery gets better with time, or the update seriously worked some wizardry. The improved bluetooth connection might have helped a lot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Argyle posted:

It seemed to help mine. Before the update I would take it off the charger at 9:30AM, and it would be nearly dead by 9:30 PM. Yesterday, it was off the charger at 9:30, and when I went to bed at 1:00 AM, I still had over 30% left.

So either the battery gets better with time, or the update seriously worked some wizardry. The improved bluetooth connection might have helped a lot.

I've had my watch off the charger since 5am and I'm at 33% right now. Usually I'm much closer to death so it at least feels like it's been improved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are more reports that the battery life has been significantly increased with this update.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29/some-users-are-reporting-vastly-improved-battery-life-on-the-moto-360-after-last-weeks-update/

Some are reporting that they can go a full day with ambient mode on now.

Mine should arrive any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Goddammit. I had just about talked myself into waiting until the next generation, but, now that it looks like battery is less of an issue, I'm back to planning to get one. I had planned to get one out of my first check, but someone was nice enough to steal the wheels off my car last weekend, so it'll have to wait until next month.