Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yeah, depending on the back and forth you'd have, you can send a straightforward email. Be friendly, but precise ("clause X says [objectionable thing Q]. Could we phrase it to say X5 or X75?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I currently work in Memphis. I applied for a position with a new company in DC, which has a significantly higher cost of living. The person who answered my application is a recruiter hired by the company, but not directly employed by them (a third party). He is badgering me about my salary requirements right off the bat. At first I said that I am looking for a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with the position and my skills and experience. He responded straight up, "Well what's your number?" Do I make up a range using info from glassdoor/salary.com? Keep parrying his requests?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Make it higher than what you actually want. What I would do (and in all honesty, this has gone both ways in the 2 times I got person badgering me for a number) is tell them the number that would make you accept the job offer on the spot, no questions asked, and go from there.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Not a Children posted:

Make it higher than what you actually want. What I would do (and in all honesty, this has gone both ways in the 2 times I got person badgering me for a number) is tell them the number that would make you accept the job offer on the spot, no questions asked, and go from there.

I would suggest you give it another go at deflecting. Try something like:

"I think it would be premature to share my salary expectations before we've discussed the position and how my skills fit with the opportunity. I'd be more than happy to discuss compensation once I've met with your client and discussed the role. The position is in a new city with a higher cost of living than my current position so any discussion on salary would need to take that into account."

If he continues to press, then providing a high but justifiable target based on a salary reference for the city and the industry is the right call.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I posted this in the interview thread, but I think it's better for here:

I have a promising job interview Friday with one of Rhode Island's largest non-profit organizations providing social services/programs/etc for low-income individuals, youth, and families. The position is a management position in the social services side of things, where I'd be overseeing several case managers and other similar employees. The position asked for a MINIMUM of a Bachelor's Degree in Human Services (I have a Master's Degree in Public Administration), and at least 5 years experience working with young children and families (I have it).

They also say: • "Experience with policy and advocacy and cost-benefit analysis, program evaluation and research a plus." I have advocacy experience, am extremely knowledgeable about social welfare and TANF policy, and have conducted a scientific program evaluation/research study of a welfare-to-work program as part of my MPA program.

I'm confident I will have a good interview, and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but under salary is it listed as "negotiable." I've never been considered for a job before where there is no posted salary to start.

I currently make $38k -- I've been reminded to NOT tell them what I'm making right now. The only knowledge I have about what people at this company earn is that in 2010 the Executive Director at the time made $95k. He was sacked, and replaced with someone new, who probably makes less now due to some legal/financial issues the company faced back in 2010. There would be 1 person (Director of Program Operations) above me, followed by the Executive Director herself. There are 6 or so other managers of programs who would probably be on the same level as me.

What is a fair starting point for negotiating salary? I'd ideally want to make around $50-52k, considering it's a management position, and I feel I would bring a lot to the table for these organizations' programs. At the same time, I'm aware this is a nonprofit, and salaries tend to obviously be a bit lower than in the private sector. Any advice?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would suggest you give it another go at deflecting. Try something like:

"I think it would be premature to share my salary expectations before we've discussed the position and how my skills fit with the opportunity. I'd be more than happy to discuss compensation once I've met with your client and discussed the role. The position is in a new city with a higher cost of living than my current position so any discussion on salary would need to take that into account."

If he continues to press, then providing a high but justifiable target based on a salary reference for the city and the industry is the right call.

Isn't the flip side of that that you end up wasting a lot of your time? I understand the game theory behind not wanting to make the first offer, but at the talking to recruiter stage, especially if they came to you, what's wrong with saying "I will not respond to offers below [current salary plus 25%]. Is that in line with your client's expectations?" I understand at the very high end (e.g., promotion from chocolate teapot maker to executive vp of chocolate teapots) there might be some disadvantage to that, but I'd imagine the recruiters for a position like that aren't going to bother asking what your salary expectation is.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If I've made it to the interview stage where the company is flying me out to do a day-long session of on-site interviews (a 3000 mile plane trip), what would you all say my chances are of getting an offer? The company contacted me first (I didn't apply), I made it through two phone interviews (including where they realized I wasn't the right person for the position they offered and went out of their way to find me a more suitable role), and now I'm flying to do the interviews tomorrow. I'm very nervous about this but also hopeful because these are good signs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Generally it's a good sign, but it's still not a slam dunk, especially if you're onsite for in-depth technical interviewing. Typically companies with that lengthy and rigorous (and expensive) of an interview process are highly selective, sometimes/often to the point of letting perfect be the enemy of good/great.

But if you interview well I'd say your chances for an offer are quite high.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Guinness posted:

Generally it's a good sign, but it's still not a slam dunk, especially if you're onsite for in-depth technical interviewing. Typically companies with that lengthy and rigorous (and expensive) of an interview process are highly selective, sometimes/often to the point of letting perfect be the enemy of good/great.

But if you interview well I'd say your chances for an offer are quite high.

It's for a Quality Assurance Tech position, so probably a lot of manual testing and showing how I'd write manual test plans. I shouldn't be doing any programming.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

KernelSlanders posted:

Isn't the flip side of that that you end up wasting a lot of your time? I understand the game theory behind not wanting to make the first offer, but at the talking to recruiter stage, especially if they came to you, what's wrong with saying "I will not respond to offers below [current salary plus 25%]. Is that in line with your client's expectations?" I understand at the very high end (e.g., promotion from chocolate teapot maker to executive vp of chocolate teapots) there might be some disadvantage to that, but I'd imagine the recruiters for a position like that aren't going to bother asking what your salary expectation is.

I certainly worry about this. There's no info on glassdoor about salaries for this role in this company, so I don't have much to go on. Only info I could find is they pay below market rate. I make $85k now, Nerd Wallet and CNN/Money says that equates to $139k in DC. I just highly doubt this company can even come close to matching the $85k, let alone an equal salary given the cost of living. If I say current salary + 25%, I get the feeling he's going to tell me to get lost

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well, would you want to take a pay cut for the job and/or change of location? Because that's essentially what it would be. If you don't want to take an effective pay cut, give them your number and let them deal with it. If they tell you to pound sand, well, you didn't want to work there for that pay anyway and you just saved a lot of time. If they want to continue talking, then you know you have a shot at actually negotiating an agreeable salary.

Contrary to many internet posters, it's not always a bad move to anchor the salary discussion with your own number. If you already have stable, well-paying employment and someone is trying to recruit/poach you then you're in the position of power to say that "I expect a salary in the ballpark of x", where x is what you would actually agree to plus some buffer for negotiation.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

railroad terror posted:

I posted this in the interview thread, but I think it's better for here:

I have a promising job interview Friday with one of Rhode Island's largest non-profit organizations providing social services/programs/etc for low-income individuals, youth, and families. The position is a management position in the social services side of things, where I'd be overseeing several case managers and other similar employees. The position asked for a MINIMUM of a Bachelor's Degree in Human Services (I have a Master's Degree in Public Administration), and at least 5 years experience working with young children and families (I have it).

They also say: • "Experience with policy and advocacy and cost-benefit analysis, program evaluation and research a plus." I have advocacy experience, am extremely knowledgeable about social welfare and TANF policy, and have conducted a scientific program evaluation/research study of a welfare-to-work program as part of my MPA program.

I'm confident I will have a good interview, and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but under salary is it listed as "negotiable." I've never been considered for a job before where there is no posted salary to start.

I currently make $38k -- I've been reminded to NOT tell them what I'm making right now. The only knowledge I have about what people at this company earn is that in 2010 the Executive Director at the time made $95k. He was sacked, and replaced with someone new, who probably makes less now due to some legal/financial issues the company faced back in 2010. There would be 1 person (Director of Program Operations) above me, followed by the Executive Director herself. There are 6 or so other managers of programs who would probably be on the same level as me.

What is a fair starting point for negotiating salary? I'd ideally want to make around $50-52k, considering it's a management position, and I feel I would bring a lot to the table for these organizations' programs. At the same time, I'm aware this is a nonprofit, and salaries tend to obviously be a bit lower than in the private sector. Any advice?

Based only on what you've described, you're shooting yourself in the foot by going in at $50 if that's where the ED was at. Since you don't have your own reference I'd see what they offer and then go from there, keeping in mind that their offer is the bare minimum they think you might accept.

KernelSlanders posted:

Given the information they provided, in their specific case I think the risk is greater with lobbing in an unsupported number. Salaries in high cost of living places can be materially higher than outside, and unless you have an external reference that you can use to adjust for cost of living your current salary is irrelevant to the discussion.

HonorableTB posted:

If I've made it to the interview stage where the company is flying me out to do a day-long session of on-site interviews (a 3000 mile plane trip), what would you all say my chances are of getting an offer? The company contacted me first (I didn't apply), I made it through two phone interviews (including where they realized I wasn't the right person for the position they offered and went out of their way to find me a more suitable role), and now I'm flying to do the interviews tomorrow. I'm very nervous about this but also hopeful because these are good signs.

It's definitely a good sign but as the poster below yours said not a slam dunk. The cost of a flight ($500?) is well worth avoiding a bad hire by doing thorough interviews. You should go in confident but don't be resigning your current job yet!

Guinness posted:

Well, would you want to take a pay cut for the job and/or change of location? Because that's essentially what it would be. If you don't want to take an effective pay cut, give them your number and let them deal with it. If they tell you to pound sand, well, you didn't want to work there for that pay anyway and you just saved a lot of time. If they want to continue talking, then you know you have a shot at actually negotiating an agreeable salary.

Contrary to many internet posters, it's not always a bad move to anchor the salary discussion with your own number. If you already have stable, well-paying employment and someone is trying to recruit/poach you then you're in the position of power to say that "I expect a salary in the ballpark of x", where x is what you would actually agree to plus some buffer for negotiation.

It isn't always bad, but in their case where they don't have a solid reference I'd be very very cautious.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KernelSlanders posted:

I have been hounded by recruiters on linkedin lately and I have been talking to one. I am not really looking for a job but for the right money and location who knows. So I told him that for at least $120K I would listen.

HonorableTB posted:

Depends on the company but it is a pretty good sign if they fly you out. The job I have now my boss told me recently that he flew me and another guy out he hired just to make sure we were not crazy idiots who duped him on the phone. Our interview was literally an hour long and we just had coffee and talked salary.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I pushed back to the recruiter saying I wasn't comfortable discussing salary until I had talked with the company. He responded back that he is only forwarding resumes that are within their salary range, so I said I'd be willing to consider in the range of $140k-$160k, given the cost of living difference. His response: "See, this was a valuable exercise. This position pays $85k per annum..." and that was that.

I make $85k in Memphis. $85k in DC is equivalent to $52k here; that's nearly a 40% cut in my living wage. No thank you Mr. Recruiter

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Omne posted:

I pushed back to the recruiter saying I wasn't comfortable discussing salary until I had talked with the company. He responded back that he is only forwarding resumes that are within their salary range, so I said I'd be willing to consider in the range of $140k-$160k, given the cost of living difference. His response: "See, this was a valuable exercise. This position pays $85k per annum..." and that was that.

I make $85k in Memphis. $85k in DC is equivalent to $52k here; that's nearly a 40% cut in my living wage. No thank you Mr. Recruiter

It seems like you are either paid way above industry standard or are way over qualified for this position or the company and recruiter are fishing for chumps.

VVV Yeah, this. VVV

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 26, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

the company and recruiter are fishing for chumps.

To provide some content, if it's the kind of company that looks at salary first it's probably not the kind of place you want to be working anyways.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

It seems like you are either paid way above industry standard or are way over qualified for this position or the company and recruiter are fishing for chumps.

You can't use CoLA for expected salaries. Places with high CoLA almost always highly desirable places to live so companies can pay somewhat less (or you could say the opposite, but the outcome is the same). I'd expect done bump, especially if the difference is large, but something between 10% and 20%. Salary sites should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect and you can also look at the GS pay scale adjustments for an idea.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

asur posted:

Places with high CoLA almost always highly desirable places to live

Did you read the part where this was a DC job? Incidentally, 85k is poo poo for a programmer in DC unless you're in a really bad subfield or a fresh grad.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

asur posted:

You can't use CoLA for expected salaries. Places with high CoLA almost always highly desirable places to live so companies can pay somewhat less (or you could say the opposite, but the outcome is the same). I'd expect done bump, especially if the difference is large, but something between 10% and 20%. Salary sites should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect and you can also look at the GS pay scale adjustments for an idea.

Well, yes and no. I agree with you that using a straight ratio of CoLA and salary to compare jobs might lead one astray, but (assuming Omne is paid pretty average for his job/location and he is a good skills match for the job), the recruiting company is absolutely low balling. Maybe I am more sensitive to this because I've seen a bit of hay (:qq:) made over the supposed STEM worker shortage that is actually a result of companies not wanting to pay for talent.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Incidentally, 85k is poo poo for a programmer in DC unless you're in a really bad subfield or a fresh grad.

Unless I missed something, why are you assuming he's a programmer?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Because I forgot this thread got moved to BFC :doh:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Did you read the part where this was a DC job? Incidentally, 85k is poo poo for a programmer in DC unless you're in a really bad subfield or a fresh grad.

Not sure how you got programmer, but just for reference the average salary of a senior SW eng in DC is 100k. That's 17% more than 85k and in the range I gave. Probably tack on another 10-15k for switching jobs, but that still leaves him pretty far short of 140k.

I'm not trying to say that a huge jump in salary is impossible, just trying to point out that it's not going to come from CoLA barring unusual circumstances.

Average salary pulled from salary.com SW Eng 3 band.

Edit: I also agree that at 85k the company in question is definitely low balling, but I believe that the company was mentioned earlier as a company that pays below market.

asur fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 26, 2014

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I am not a programmer. And I am not at all overpaid for my job in Memphis, I actually earn under market rate.

I get that CoL is not a good metric to compare job opportunities, but 85k for this position is considered low in Memphis, so it's asinine in DC. Micky Finn is correct, I make an average/below average salary here; average salary for this role in DC is 130k according to Glassdoor. THe company is low balling big time. I understand that DC is a desirable place to live, and I would be willing to take a pay cut. But comparing like salaries, that is a 40% cut in earnings

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I just got my offer letter to move from a temp position to full time with benefits within my company. I've worked there as a temp for six months now, they hired me on for 80% of my previous hourly rate (which was also a temp/contract job). I attempted to negotiate during the contract hiring but HR (who does all the negotiating, which is really frustrating) didn't budge. My offer matches my previous hourly rate and comes with all benefits (health plan, eye & dental, matching 401k, vacation, stock options). It also included a promotion from Research Associate I (temp) to Research associate II. What kind of leverage do I actually have here (without another offer), and do you have any negotiating suggestions for an HR department that doesn't know me/my contributions to my department? My department is large (20 people) and in terms of experience I am in the top 5, but I know I could be replaced without all that much difficulty. I would be estatic with a $5/hr increase, happy with a $3, and content with $1.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I wouldn't push too much if they won't budge, same hourly rate plus benefits and a permanent job is pretty good. You can try to go around them and talk to your current boss, but he may just refer you back to HR.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xandu posted:

I wouldn't push too much if they won't budge, same hourly rate plus benefits and a permanent job is pretty good. You can try to go around them and talk to your current boss, but he may just refer you back to HR.

I agree that the same rate plus benefits is pretty good, actually surprising. A lot of people at my work are hired as contractors and then a few years later as a permanent. They usually take a pretty decent pay cut when this happens.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I guess I just got stuck on getting the same rate at 2 years experience w/benefits as too similar to 0 years experience but no benefits. I'll think it over more tomorrow and crunch some numbers.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

So I just got my offer letter to move from a temp position to full time with benefits within my company. I've worked there as a temp for six months now, they hired me on for 80% of my previous hourly rate (which was also a temp/contract job). I attempted to negotiate during the contract hiring but HR (who does all the negotiating, which is really frustrating) didn't budge. My offer matches my previous hourly rate and comes with all benefits (health plan, eye & dental, matching 401k, vacation, stock options). It also included a promotion from Research Associate I (temp) to Research associate II. What kind of leverage do I actually have here (without another offer), and do you have any negotiating suggestions for an HR department that doesn't know me/my contributions to my department? My department is large (20 people) and in terms of experience I am in the top 5, but I know I could be replaced without all that much difficulty. I would be estatic with a $5/hr increase, happy with a $3, and content with $1.
Two quick points:
1. HR almost never is the organization who you're actually negotiating with. They don't approve budgets for new hires. They're usually the mouthpiece for whoever actually controls the budget used to pay your salary.
2. Your leverage is dependent on your other options. If you are in a position to walk on this job, you can command a higher salary. If you're in a position where employees are treated like commodities, you have no leverage.

My advice for negotiating with HR is to not negotiate with HR. Figure out who really can approve your raise and take your case directly to them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're easily replaceable, you don't have a ton of leverage - sure, the cost of replacing you isn't zero, but if you are fundamentally a fungible commodity, you don't have much. I'd discuss with your actual manager what the paths for advancement/salary increase are, and if you can come up with necessary outcomes, schedule, and timeline, you're good to go. It will at least give you an understanding of what it will take to move you up.

Keep in mind also that based on your benefits package, your total comp is going up significantly, so that further diminishes your leverage.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Just got an offer letter from a company I'd be really excited to work for, doing a cool, fairly rare job. This is a mission critical position that they needed to fill "yesterday" in a brand new department in a rapidly growing global wine, beer, and spirits company. I would be the second member of the department. Not sure how to best negotiate though in this case:

The offer letter specifies that it's a temporary role with the opportunity to become full-time. It's an exempt position and the salary is a 26% increase over what my salary is now. There is no mention of benefits or relocation assistance. I'm assuming no benefits since it's temporary. My former lab manager forwarded me an email from the hiring manager when they were looking for applicants stating that they would review it as a full-time position in the next fiscal year (March 2015) however there is no date specified in the offer letter for when there will be a review.

I currently live on the east coast and the job is on the west coast -- a relocation bonus would be extremely helpful. My current job is permanent in a huge multi-national with full medical/dental/vision benefits, 401k, etc, and they provided relocation assistance when I moved here from the west coast, however I have to pay back $5k of that if I leave the company before June 2015. So I would have to pay full cost of moving all my crap and pay back $5k... which I could do but it would be really painful.

What should I do here? I replied to the offer email thanking them for the offer and that I needed some time to consider the offer and I'd get back to them by Monday. I am happy with the salary amount, it's what I had in my head as my "accept without question" amount. However no benefits, no relocation, and temp status adds some risk that I'm not happy about. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a $5k relocation and to have them specify a date for when they will review the position for full-time status? Is that not enough? Too much? Not sure, this is my second job out of college and my first time with the opportunity to negotiate.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Jerome Louis posted:

Just got an offer letter from a company I'd be really excited to work for, doing a cool, fairly rare job. This is a mission critical position that they needed to fill "yesterday" in a brand new department in a rapidly growing global wine, beer, and spirits company. I would be the second member of the department. Not sure how to best negotiate though in this case:

The offer letter specifies that it's a temporary role with the opportunity to become full-time. It's an exempt position and the salary is a 26% increase over what my salary is now. There is no mention of benefits or relocation assistance. I'm assuming no benefits since it's temporary. My former lab manager forwarded me an email from the hiring manager when they were looking for applicants stating that they would review it as a full-time position in the next fiscal year (March 2015) however there is no date specified in the offer letter for when there will be a review.

I currently live on the east coast and the job is on the west coast -- a relocation bonus would be extremely helpful. My current job is permanent in a huge multi-national with full medical/dental/vision benefits, 401k, etc, and they provided relocation assistance when I moved here from the west coast, however I have to pay back $5k of that if I leave the company before June 2015. So I would have to pay full cost of moving all my crap and pay back $5k... which I could do but it would be really painful.

What should I do here? I replied to the offer email thanking them for the offer and that I needed some time to consider the offer and I'd get back to them by Monday. I am happy with the salary amount, it's what I had in my head as my "accept without question" amount. However no benefits, no relocation, and temp status adds some risk that I'm not happy about. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a $5k relocation and to have them specify a date for when they will review the position for full-time status? Is that not enough? Too much? Not sure, this is my second job out of college and my first time with the opportunity to negotiate.

Not unreasonable at all to ask for this, particularly since it's a temp job. Depending on how much stuff you need to move $5k could be way light though. I'd start with something approaching your actual moving cost and negotiate from there. For comparison sake, it cost me $15,000 to move a family of 3 cross-country 2 years ago. Does the temp contract specify an end of term or is it open-ended?

Also getting a 25% pay bump is probably only just adequate, not great, considering the benefits you're giving up, so keep that value in mind.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Not unreasonable at all to ask for this, particularly since it's a temp job. Depending on how much stuff you need to move $5k could be way light though. I'd start with something approaching your actual moving cost and negotiate from there. For comparison sake, it cost me $15,000 to move a family of 3 cross-country 2 years ago. Does the temp contract specify an end of term or is it open-ended?

It doesn't specify an end-date. I have a two bedroom apartment full of junk to move but I can probably reduce it down to a studio apt of essentials. I would also have to break the lease here on my rental which is another consideration.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Jerome Louis posted:

It doesn't specify an end-date. I have a two bedroom apartment full of junk to move but I can probably reduce it down to a studio apt of essentials. I would also have to break the lease here on my rental which is another consideration.

Not sure on the rules in your jurisdiction but you may be able to find a sub letter, which would save you a lot of money.

We moved a 2BR apartment, weren't able to trim due to kids, so you might be more like 7500 - 10K

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Jerome Louis posted:

If it were me, I'd have a good sit down and consider "worst case" (breaking lease cost, them not paying any moving expenses, the minimum 3 month contract, the $5k you'll have to pay back, lost income from moving, loss of benefits etc) and consider whether you want to take the job if all those things were to happen (which is certainly a possibility).

Also consider what the minimum you would accept would be in terms of relocatoon/salary and what have you - don't go below that.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also getting a 25% pay bump is probably only just adequate, not great, considering the benefits you're giving up, so keep that value in mind.

I just checked my total reward statement and the value of my benefits plus salary is actually a bit more than the salary I'm being offered by the new company. I need to ask for a higher base salary as well as a relocation bonus. I am very motivated by moving back to CA and being closer to friends and family and by entering this industry, but the financials need to make sense.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would ask about benefits and relocation before specifying a number. It's entirely possible that both exist for the position, but weren't mentioned.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Update: I just had my 90 day review at the emergency clinic. My hospital administrator was verbally very positive, but on paper I got lower marks than I would have expected in some areas that I didn't necessarily agree with (and feel like they were artificially low). I got a 12.5% performance based raise, and once my license kicks in, I'll wind up with another ~8% raise. Looking in the long game, I am not too salty about the marks I got on my review; when the next one comes around, the marks that were low will only serve to demonstrate how much I will have "improved". For my situation now, I'm just really glad that I put some effort into negotiating and pursuing those conversations.

There was another tech I spoke with who used to work there, and after a full year there and obtaining her license, was making 2k less/year than I started at. It still seems so crazy to me how I used to feel like I had to grovel for an employer to deign to grant me a job that I should be ever so grateful for and never dare to negotiate for better compensation. Thanks to this thread, I'm earning about 5k more per year than I otherwise would be. Awesome.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Not Grover posted:

Update: I just had my 90 day review at the emergency clinic. My hospital administrator was verbally very positive, but on paper I got lower marks than I would have expected in some areas that I didn't necessarily agree with (and feel like they were artificially low). I got a 12.5% performance based raise, and once my license kicks in, I'll wind up with another ~8% raise. Looking in the long game, I am not too salty about the marks I got on my review; when the next one comes around, the marks that were low will only serve to demonstrate how much I will have "improved". For my situation now, I'm just really glad that I put some effort into negotiating and pursuing those conversations.

There was another tech I spoke with who used to work there, and after a full year there and obtaining her license, was making 2k less/year than I started at. It still seems so crazy to me how I used to feel like I had to grovel for an employer to deign to grant me a job that I should be ever so grateful for and never dare to negotiate for better compensation. Thanks to this thread, I'm earning about 5k more per year than I otherwise would be. Awesome.

Glad to hear it, always nice to hear success stories.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Not Grover posted:

A lot of managers feel the need to artificially rate people lower so that they can show improvement on their next review. There could also be an unspoken rule that nobody gets a perfect mark, ever.

Both practices are dumb as hell, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Guni posted:

If it were me, I'd have a good sit down and consider "worst case" (breaking lease cost, them not paying any moving expenses, the minimum 3 month contract, the $5k you'll have to pay back, lost income from moving, loss of benefits etc) and consider whether you want to take the job if all those things were to happen (which is certainly a possibility).

Also consider what the minimum you would accept would be in terms of relocatoon/salary and what have you - don't go below that.

Just had a talk with them. They verified the base salary offered would not decrease if rolled into FTE status, which would be reviewed in March. Benefits would be added on top of the base salary and the salary would actually be reviewed for an increase based on performance. That base salary + benefits is my ideal figure so I am happy with that. They basically told me no negotiation was possible since this role was temporary and not originally budgeted for this year but that they would ask the VP for $5k for relocation. So I'll hear back about that tomorrow.

Overall happy about the salary, I could have likely asked for more there if I pushed but the relocation was more important to me. Just excited that I get to move back to CA. Didn't mention it before but I'm in a LDR and my fiance is in grad school near where I'll be moving, so that was a big reason for me wanting to move. Not to mention the new job is a really awesome, unique opportunity, and I hate the job I'm doing now :p so overall pretty excited.

Edit: Oh poo poo they just called me back and said the VP approved me for a $10k relocation. Awesome.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread