Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

:bravo:

(it's real: enter 34103377 in the searchbox here: https://jobs.apple.com/us/search)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

If you can bend it easily in one hard push, you can easily bend it by applying slight force over a long time, ie in your "not tight" front pockets while sitting.
That's now how real life works.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ShoogaSlim posted:

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KEEP IT IN YOUR POCKET

Time to bring back fanny packs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kobayashi posted:

I kind of agree. Coming out of WWDC, after seeing iOS 8 and Yosemite, I was thoroughly impressed by how Apple seemed to be executing on a unified vision. These past few weeks have been a real bummer. In addition to the points you listed, I'd add the iCloud hack, the fact that enabling iCloud drive basically breaks iOS-to-Mac synchronization until some undetermined time when Yosemite is released, the naked money grab that is a 16 Gb base model iPhone, whitewashing the camera bulge on the iPhone website, and the 8.0.1 debacle.

None of these issues, on their own, is evidence of shark jumping, but together they constitute a pretty lovely narrative. I can't really think of any more ther time Apple has made this many missteps over such a short period. This kind of inattention to detail isn't what I except from Apple.

I'll add Yosemite handoff not working on non bt4.0 machines.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tuyop posted:

I don't know why people have a hard time conceiving of the force exerted on a phone in a pocket. The 6+ has the disadvantage of being big enough that the pant folding at the hip acts as a pressure on the middle of the phone because the top of the phone is above that fold and the bottom is below.

Consider:

Without the phone, the pants will fold into the leg. With a smaller phone, the pants will fold above where the phone sits. With the phablet, the pants will fold in such a way that pushes the middle of the phone into the leg. Since the phone isn't sharp and won't cut the jeans, it'll bend.

I can make a diagram if someone wants.

To the untrained eye that seems like that person is begging for trouble and should reconsider pocketing his Phablet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

To the untrained eye that seems like that person is begging for trouble and should reconsider pocketing his Phablet.

What does that mean? Untrained eye?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does anyone else have issues with streaming music or podcasts where the playback will just stop and you have to turn on your phone and press play again? This happens all the time with Spotify and Iheartradio.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Came here to post this as well, the phone sits pretty close to the top of my pocket but it'd be my thighs bending the phone and nothing to do with my hip?

What's your inseam?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

What does that mean? Untrained eye?
He said if you walk around with your phone in your pocket like that then you deserve anything that may happen to it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

As much as I hate to continue the bend talk, wouldn't any type of hard case help with this? If you are doing something to bend both a case and your phone I don't think you can consider that normal use.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loudog999 posted:

As much as I hate to continue the bend talk, wouldn't any type of hard case help with this? If you are doing something to bend both a case and your phone I don't think you can consider that normal use.
Instead of bending your phone, you'd just hurt your leg instead!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Hopefully Apple soon announces that every 6+ comes with a pair of relaxed fit Levi's.

Everyone who purchased a 6+ will find tomorrow morning a free pair of relaxed fit Levi's that have been placed in their dresser drawer by Apple customer service staff.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/25/apple-responds-to-bending-issues/

Apple has 9 complaints, 9. If we're extremely generous and say that 25% of the 10 million sold are Plus models, that's 9 out of 2,500,000 or .0000036%.

Can we all shut up about it now?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's probably more than 9.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Even if it were only 1 case, the pr damage here is massive. I've heard older people that know nothing about technology discussing it and mentioning that they'll keep their old phones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

noirstronaut posted:

It's probably more than 9.

Willing to say it's 9 people who actually contacted Apple instead of hitting Twitter and complaining.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess investors prefer trendy phones over bendy ones. AAPL -3.8% so far.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Willing to say it's 9 people who actually contacted Apple instead of hitting Twitter and complaining.
The only actual photographed cases of bending are from the Macrumors thread. Everything else, so basically everything you've heard, is just reusing those original cases.

Unfortunately, people are dumb.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well everyone knows people who have broken phone screens but everyone keeps buying phones with screens that can break, so I'm assuming that most people really don't care that much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tuyop posted:

Well everyone knows people who have broken phone screens but everyone keeps buying phones with screens that can break, so I'm assuming that most people really don't care that much.
Even people who have never taken a physics class understand that things break when you drop them. Bending a phone, however, is apparently beyond their realm of comprehension until they see a video doing that/hear about it on the news.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
GSMArena article comment section regarding the iOS 8.0.1 issues:

quote:

I can even give you bend break issue more s3 has it too so stop trying to defending a serious case like this cannot be joke around.

Nokia ftw

quote:

Ebola attach Apple OS so they don't have solution yet to it until they get another version. Fake company bad pricing and stigmatic customers and bugs software.

quote:

All 4,5"+ will bend and break, just the userbase is not mature enough to even try to realize it.
iphone6+ is actually way too sturdy for a device of that size.

quote:

people that thinks things like: iPhones has a premium quality so we can ride over ir, set in it, let the dogs have fun with it, wear thight legs and put your expensive device in your front pucket, wear this device as a cap, and others stupid things like this makes me think, why would you pay all that money in a device and wouldn't get a protection for it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's like a mirror of this thread full of users who can't read well enough to join SA. It's sad, really.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Shut it down, pedos

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...3527_story.html

quote:

“Apple will become the phone of choice for the pedophile,” said John J. Escalante, chief of detectives for Chicago’s police department. “The average pedophile at this point is probably thinking, I’ve got to get an Apple phone.”

I think he meant to say "discerning" instead of "average"

Edit:

pzy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

pzy posted:

Shut it down, pedos

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...3527_story.html

I think he meant to say "discerning" instead of "average"

Edit:
I love all the stories coming out now about how law enforcement is all butthurt that they can't bully companies into giving up your personal data anymore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So as an owner of iPhone 6+ and playing this new Asphalt driving /runner, knowing about the 3d Benchmark framerate performance, I find myself wondering if this is a badly performing Gameloft game or if this runs much better on the 6 instead of the 6+...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Excellent I was looking for a good pedo endorsement

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
So not even a week into the life of my 6+, and the phone is stuck in headphone mode - despite never being used with headphones/dock or anything of the sort. I've tried inserting and removing a pair of headphones several times, blowing dust out of the headphone jack, restarting, resetting settings etc. and nothing seems to work.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

So not even a week into the life of my 6+, and the phone is stuck in headphone mode - despite never being used with headphones/dock or anything of the sort. I've tried inserting and removing a pair of headphones several times, blowing dust out of the headphone jack, restarting, resetting settings etc. and nothing seems to work.

Take it into the store (make an appointment), they'll have stock of 6+'s and swap you out with a new one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

Backup and restore on a computer. Make sure it's encrypted so that you don't have to enter all your app passwords again.

You already reset, sounds like a problem for the Genius Bar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I love all the stories coming out now about how law enforcement is all butthurt that they can't bully companies into giving up your personal data anymore.

It's even better considering how much pressure those same law enforcement organizations have been applying to cell phone makers to implement improved security features in an attempt to limit theft.

So they want just a little more security, but not too much!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The guy who did the iPhone 6 Plus review for wired.com has a slightly bent phone after 4 days. Don't know his inseam, unfortunately. But he seems like the kind of guy that would use a million phones as part of his job and probably not do much intentionally destructive/dumb with them, ya know?

(Except have his life "hacked" by people getting his password reset through Apple :mmmhmm:)

E: "But the biggest downside to me is that iOS 8 just isn’t as productive or customizable an operating system as Android is. You may be able to bend this phone, but you can’t bend it to your will." :razz: 8/10 still, haha

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 25, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok here's a question for you all. It's to do with loving iTunes.

Been adding music to my new 64GB device and I've got it almost full of music. I go to delete some stuff and move some new stuff on *(through iTunes). It takes forever to sync, then finally, when done, shows up as my phone having 0 gb of music, 50+ gig of Other. Now, what the gently caress?! I hard re-set my phone and replugged it into iTunes, synced it, and now it's half restored to how it was, 25gb of music, 25gb of loving other. What in the name of gently caress?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bottom Liner posted:

Even if it were only 1 case, the pr damage here is massive. I've heard older people that know nothing about technology discussing it and mentioning that they'll keep their old phones.

I got a text from a coworker to gossip about the fact my CEO is getting a plus and it was going to bend and I'd be annoyed with her, except, I had overslept and the text woke me up, when I was on the way to sleeping until like 3:00 PM otherwise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok here's a question for you all. It's to do with loving iTunes.

Been adding music to my new 64GB device and I've got it almost full of music. I go to delete some stuff and move some new stuff on *(through iTunes). It takes forever to sync, then finally, when done, shows up as my phone having 0 gb of music, 50+ gig of Other. Now, what the gently caress?! I hard re-set my phone and replugged it into iTunes, synced it, and now it's half restored to how it was, 25gb of music, 25gb of loving other. What in the name of gently caress?!

64GB of music is a lot of music to index. How much time elapsed between you transferring the music and freaking out?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
instant freak out

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
no no, I've been gradually adding music. I didn't dump a huge amount at one time. this was literally 2 albums switched in and out.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I gotta say this whole bending phone thing makes me a little apprehensive about my 6+ order; I guess that's one advantage of getting my phone several weeks post-release, it just seems that there is a lot of conflicting information out there right now.

The whole reason I stopped getting Androids was to avoid having to worry about this kind of manufacturer fuckups (and carriers messing around with software updates-the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was not a fun situation).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bottom Liner posted:

lol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DeceasedHorse posted:

I gotta say this whole bending phone thing makes me a little apprehensive about my 6+ order; I guess that's one advantage of getting my phone several weeks post-release, it just seems that there is a lot of conflicting information out there right now.

The whole reason I stopped getting Androids was to avoid having to worry about this kind of manufacturer fuckups (and carriers messing around with software updates-the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was not a fun situation).

It's not a manufacturing fuckup at all. It's the reality of owning an extremely thin device made of light material. It's so thin, and so light that you can put it in an ultrathin clear case and it is still thinner and lighter than it's competitors. Overall, it is an expensive device meant to be treated kindly, not thrown around like some cheap droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

no no, I've been gradually adding music. I didn't dump a huge amount at one time. this was literally 2 albums switched in and out.

Got it.

I had it happen to me back with the 4S and I was told at the time I didn't let it "sit" long enough (I moved about 50GB at once) so that it could index all the music. I let mine sit overnight and then it was fine. I couldn't even access the music to play it. Can you? It might just be iTunes being idiotic (which it very well could be that piece of poo poo software).

If it's just a couple albums and it fucks your entire music collection, then I'd say take it in to Apple (or call, I suppose that might use slightly less gas and time).