Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Street fights start quick, are wild and at close quarters, and usually hit the ground. They are also usually over quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

Decades posted:

I don't think there's an exhaustive streetfight database out there, but from what I've seen in person and on the web they tend to be a wild swing or two followed by both guys getting scared and grabbing onto each other for dear life. This is one reason Judo is cool.

In that case Wing Chun's approach (from what I've seen of it) of getting past or deflecting your opponent's first offensive move and then getting real close in and attacking relentlessly might not be so bad? Or any other martial art for that matter?

Dangersim posted:

Street fights start quick, are wild and at close quarters, and usually hit the ground. They are also usually over quick.

A lot of the senior instructors in my school have studied a ground art as well, so it's something they acknowledge is missing from Wing Chun's syllabus.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Tawd posted:

In that case Wing Chun's approach (from what I've seen of it) of getting past or deflecting your opponent's first offensive move and then getting real close in and attacking relentlessly might not be so bad? Or any other martial art for that matter?

Sort of yeah, I do think wing chun when done right has some anti-grappling qualities lacked by, say, boxing. But it's limited and conditional on the way you train. In the school I came from we'd shoot in on each other's legs, but not actually follow through to the floor. That's something I think, but of course we'd have been better off following through with some actual takedowns.

The other thing is the gi. I think it's pretty relevant to street fights, in that they often happen in jackets, and I think that if you dress a wing chun guy or a guy from any striking art really in a gi, basic gripfighting, sleeve control and the like, would shut them down pretty bad.

One other thing kinda philosophically that I like about BJJ better than Wing Chun is that WC is highly dependent on not messing up. As long as the practitioner executes their techniques perfectly, I think it'd be tough to deal with. But ask what happens when you get grabbed or taken down and the answer is "too late, don't let that happen". BJJ is largely about learning how to survive in awful positions after you've hosed up, which in the heat of the moment is always a good possibility.

Decades fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 25, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm starting to see some BJJ stuff in self-defense videos posted to Facebook and it weirds me out that people think this one weird trick is gonna help them not get raped.

I'm thinking poo poo like this in particular: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=587267144728306&id=253878101400547

Like all the middle aged women on my feed seem to think this sweep will work for them on a resisting opponent, and maybe if their attacker had never heard of BJJ it would work?

One of them even thought a headbutt from the bottom would be more effective than the sweep :doh:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Let this be a lesson about correct posturing while in someones guard, I do like that there is an optional neck snap in that sweep if you want it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
People for some reason have this weird idea that fighting consists of little tricks or secret techniques, when in fact it is just like any other skill in that the only way to get good at it is through sustained practice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Decades posted:

Sort of yeah, I do think wing chun when done right has some anti-grappling qualities lacked by, say, boxing. But it's limited and conditional on the way you train. In the school I came from we'd shoot in on each other's legs, but not actually follow through to the floor. That's something I think, but of course we'd have been better off following through with some actual takedowns.

The other thing is the gi. I think it's pretty relevant to street fights, in that they often happen in jackets, and I think that if you dress a wing chun guy or a guy from any striking art really in a gi, basic gripfighting, sleeve control and the like, would shut them down pretty bad.

One other thing kinda philosophically that I like about BJJ better than Wing Chun is that WC is highly dependent on not messing up. As long as the practitioner executes their techniques perfectly, I think it'd be tough to deal with. But ask what happens when you get grabbed or taken down and the answer is "too late, don't let that happen". BJJ is largely about learning how to survive in awful positions after you've hosed up, which in the heat of the moment is always a good possibility.

All this is completely inconsequential if you're not doing full-resistance sparring regularly. I'll take a guy who wrestled for a few years in high school in a fight over someone who's trained kung fu for 20 years but never had to defend a single leg from someone who knows what they're doing, 10 times out of 10.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 26, 2014

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got a prefrence for boxing gloves out of the list on here?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/boxing/boxing-gloves

And what size would I need for gentle sparring and heavy bag work?

I got these because they were advertised as heavy bag gloves and even with wraps, they rip my knuckles to shreds

http://fighterxfashion.com/everlast-evergel-wristwrap-heavy-bag-gloves/
if you are willing to wait almost a 2 to 3 weeks you can order heavily discounted material from thailand.Gloves like Fairtex BGV1 , Top king super air or Twins special are going to last you years so even if you cannot get them cheap they'll be worth it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

All this is completely inconsequential if you're not doing full-resistance sparring regularly. I'll take a guy who wrestled for a few years in high school in a fight over someone who's trained kung fu for 20 years but never had to defend a single leg from someone who knows what they're doing, 10 times out of 10.

Agreed, that's more or less the line I ended up drawing. We used more physical resistance in some of the drills than you'd think, but they were just too structured and not live enough. I did the two side by side for a while but once I started to get the hang of grappling it felt both more effective and more fun.

Decades fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

People for some reason have this weird idea that fighting consists of little tricks or secret techniques, when in fact it is just like any other skill in that the only way to get good at it is through sustained practice.

Kung fu dudes think that if they just do fool's mate 1000 times on a chessboard without another player, they will easily smash Kasparov in their first actual game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, so two cool things happened tonight at class. First, I tested for my orange belt. It was a simple test just showing that I know how to move, know the 6 basic punches, how to block and check, etc. I passed and Ben said he would give me my belt when I come in next so he can do it in front of everyone.

Second, Ben had another talk with me.

:black101: Pennywise, we haven't been charging you since May since you've had a leave of absence.
:buddy: Woah, I didn't know that. Thank you.
:black101: Well we're going to start charging you again now that you're back, and I know you are struggling with some serious problems but you've been showing up and training hard so I'm going to give you a special rate.
:buddy: Really? How much?
:black101: $50 a month.
:buddy: Are you serious? You don't have to do that. I like supporting the gym and....
:black101: Too bad, it's done. Don't tell anyone.
:buddy: :aaa:

Previously I was being charged about $100 a month with a military discount. Now I have access to unlimited wrestling, BJJ, and kickboxing taught by the #9 heavyweight UFC fighter. I'm just... I don't know. I guess I'm just floored right now. Depressed, excited, lots of things. I don't know how to describe it. Ben Rothwell is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

I think I'm going to get him some sort of gift down the road but I have no idea what you would get someone like that. I'll probably ask you guys later on when I do it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dangersim posted:

Because it's terrifying to think that you are almost powerless to stop a physically stronger person without a poo poo ton of work (which will coincidently also make you stronger).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok, so two cool things happened tonight at class. First, I tested for my orange belt. It was a simple test just showing that I know how to move, know the 6 basic punches, how to block and check, etc. I passed and Ben said he would give me my belt when I come in next so he can do it in front of everyone.

Second, Ben had another talk with me.

:black101: Pennywise, we haven't been charging you since May since you've had a leave of absence.
:buddy: Woah, I didn't know that. Thank you.
:black101: Well we're going to start charging you again now that you're back, and I know you are struggling with some serious problems but you've been showing up and training hard so I'm going to give you a special rate.
:buddy: Really? How much?
:black101: $50 a month.
:buddy: Are you serious? You don't have to do that. I like supporting the gym and....
:black101: Too bad, it's done. Don't tell anyone.
:buddy: :aaa:

Previously I was being charged about $100 a month with a military discount. Now I have access to unlimited wrestling, BJJ, and kickboxing taught by the #9 heavyweight UFC fighter. I'm just... I don't know. I guess I'm just floored right now. Depressed, excited, lots of things. I don't know how to describe it. Ben Rothwell is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

I think I'm going to get him some sort of gift down the road but I have no idea what you would get someone like that. I'll probably ask you guys later on when I do it.

good job not telling anyone

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mechafunkzilla posted:

good job not telling anyone

:ssh:

If you can't trust goons, who can you trust?

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you haven't been betrayed by a goon, you haven't had an account long enough

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Speaking of "you're hosed if the other guy has a gun":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaIP8ZGaWlc
Clearly the driver had some sort of training. Totally ballsy move regardless.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Stay crazy Russia. That was some movie set poo poo. :catstare:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Holy gently caress! There was a moment there where the muzzle passed in front of his face. Dude doesn't need a car seat, he just drives around on his massive set of brass balls.

Also all this self defense talk. I saw a guy get dragged out of his car through the window the other day and get his head pummelled into his door. I felt bad for the dude but it was across the way at a T section and I wasn't jumping out to save some dude from a whuppin and risk getting gibbed by a car. Called the police though. If you're going to cut people off roll your windows up I guess.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 26, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmm, ok well here are some of the places I'm considering, in order of closest to furthest away. I was originally looking for No Gi BJJ/CSW and some stand up, boxing or Muay Thai, but I'm try to keep my options open. What do you guys think?

1. T-Town MMA

2. Tacoma Boxing Club

3. Team Evolution MMA

4. South Sound Martial Arts (Video)

5. MABJJ Tacoma Jiu-Jitsu & Wrestling Club

6. Gracie Barra Federal Way

So, since I didn't get a lot of feedback on which of the above schools might be worth a look, I've decided to cross train Wing Chun and Aikido. I know you guys don't think they work too well but I went to the local Wing Chun school today and told the instructor what you guys said about Wing Chun guys not being in the UFC and he said that was because Wing Chun is too brutal and deadly for combat sports. Then he showed me a move where he blocked one of my punches and pushed my nose cartilage into my brain, killing me instantly (though not for real of course), so he seems pretty legit. He also said that Wing Chun was even better than Krav Maga, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

Or did you guys have a recommendation from the above list instead?

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

...Wing Chun is too brutal and deadly for combat sports. Then he showed me a move where he blocked one of my punches and pushed my nose cartilage into my brain, killing me instantly (though not for real of course), so he seems pretty legit. He also said that Wing Chun was even better than Krav Maga, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

:derp: Never reveal the Wing Chun secret, dude!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Kung fu dudes think that if they just do fool's mate 1000 times on a chessboard without another player, they will easily smash Kasparov in their first actual game.

Pointless tangent: I don't know anything about chess. I was watching a documentary about Bobby Fischer, this American chess player who was a big deal during the cold war. From childhood he basically uses one set of opening moves in every chess game, tweaking and refining his responses and countermoves for ten or twenty years straight. He competes his way up the international ladder, beats the second best guy in the world. He finally gets a shot at this Russian guy who is the best chess player alive. They both spend months preparing for each other. First move of the game, Fischer just does some completely new opening which nobody has ever seen him do before. Russian guy has spent a massive training camp preparing for the one opening move, and suddenly 100% of his training is out the window and he gets wrecked. I was really entertained by this.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
e: nothing to see here

Decades fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 26, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm starting boxing on Monday, I've never boxed in my entire life so what kind of shoes do I wear?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
You can probably show up in whatever flat indoor training shoes. After that ask your instructors and Ligur.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

So, since I didn't get a lot of feedback on which of the above schools might be worth a look, I've decided to cross train Wing Chun and Aikido. I know you guys don't think they work too well but I went to the local Wing Chun school today and told the instructor what you guys said about Wing Chun guys not being in the UFC and he said that was because Wing Chun is too brutal and deadly for combat sports. Then he showed me a move where he blocked one of my punches and pushed my nose cartilage into my brain, killing me instantly (though not for real of course), so he seems pretty legit. He also said that Wing Chun was even better than Krav Maga, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

This is a good post.

Seriously though, go and do one night at every single school on that list then decide which one you like the most. Most schools will give you at least the first night free if they're worth their salt, because the quality of the training should sell itself.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

I'm starting boxing on Monday, I've never boxed in my entire life so what kind of shoes do I wear?

REINFORCED COMBAT BO thin soled, high top shoes, please. If at all possible. Cheap wrestling shoes are ok. Expensive boxing shoes are naturally even better. Savate shoes are also good, great ankle support, but might be hard to get and/or expensive.

Unfortunately a lot of running/tennis/baseball shoes or just your regular generic sneakers have thick soles (to absorb impact), making it hard to plant your feet or even unbalancing you when punching, no ankle support, and probably also have far too much grip for you to pivot or move well. If I went boxing with my Adidas Superstars they'd simply be far too shoddy and I'd be out of balance and gently caress up my ankles in no time. If I went with my heavier generic outdoors sneakers, they'd have far too thick (and even curved!) soles and I would probably fall down a lot or have to move very slowly.

Good shoes for boxing feel more like thick sturdy socks!

Indoors sports shoes with thin soles and not too much grip can be also used.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is a good post.

Seriously though, go and do one night at every single school on that list then decide which one you like the most. Most schools will give you at least the first night free if they're worth their salt, because the quality of the training should sell itself.

This is also a good post.

Me, I'd just go boxing. Because I like it the most. And would change clubs only if I found the training was poor or I didn't like the place for some other reason.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 26, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

The boxing gym looks legit

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

The boxing gym looks legit

Oh boy does it.

You have a bunch of Olympic gold medalists and golden glove winners, and an Olympic Head Boxing Coach for Team USA. -Blackadder-, if you want to learn how to box and get fit and amazing at the same time, I'm quite sure you can achieve that at the Tacoma Boxing Club. And like most boxing gyms, it's dirt cheap. edit: and they can barely throw up a web page, which is a good sign for a boxing club. I wouldn't be surprised if the head coached didn't know how to use email. Not a bad sign either. (In boxing. Seriously).

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 26, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marcelo Alonso is a seriously, seriously world class BJJ guy, so this would be my suggestion on the grappling and MMA side.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Wing Chun has nothing on Crossfit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9hNtJWxPnA

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The time tested technique of resting both your forearms on your opponent's shoulder to deliver knees to the body.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand why crossfit has its own self defense. Can't you hate yourself enough doing Muay Thai conditioning?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If I was going to fight somebody and they started kipping I'd probably run away.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If I was going to fight somebody and they started kipping I'd probably run away.

obligatory Keenan Cornelius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBK23Vjv4mM

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Fellas,

I jammed my pinkie toe two saturdays ago while rolling. It is no longer bruised, but is still swollen and a little tender. Otherwise, I can walk on it fine and roll if I take an ibuprofen before hand. It doesn't really affect my day to day life except for the fact that I can't wear some of my tighter shoes. Since I can move it just fine, I dont think it's dislocated, but if it's still tender and swollen after two weeks is that a possibility?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

Fellas,

I jammed my pinkie toe two saturdays ago while rolling. It is no longer bruised, but is still swollen and a little tender. Otherwise, I can walk on it fine and roll if I take an ibuprofen before hand. It doesn't really affect my day to day life except for the fact that I can't wear some of my tighter shoes. Since I can move it just fine, I dont think it's dislocated, but if it's still tender and swollen after two weeks is that a possibility?

If you can wiggle and curl it okay then it's probably not dislocated. Most likely it's just soft tissue damage, which can take a long time to heal. Ice is your best friend.

That's basically why I wear sambo shoes every time I go to class, with or without the kurtka. You can order a pair here: http://www.afinternationalsporting.com/shop.php/cPath/28?osCsid=81fc0t6enrhhlcnhrc8r367oq1

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

AIEEEEE! There's even a chick talking about how "empowering" it is and confidence about defending her kids and uggghh. Confidence or rather being able to handle a stressful situation is good: if you cower away in terror, unable to even run away, this bad. Talking of women or girls, many, many women don't just freeze (even though they don't know how to fight) survive, say, rape attempts simply because they scream, kick, punch, scratch and bite as hard as they can and bush rapists are hardly profession MMA fighters either. But is THIS the way to achieve that mindset ermmmm.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Fellas,

Was it more, like, just jammed or did it receive a hard or quick crank/impact? I shattered my big toe blocking a kick a few years ago, so it sort of splintered in every direction (but not very seriously, just bone fragments here and there) and the result was about just what you describe. I taped it to the next toe, and just grappled until the swelling and pain went. Doctor ok'd this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Looks good if someone is attacking you with a medicine ball. :shrug:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Looks good if someone is attacking you with a medicine ball. :shrug:

or a ghetto blaster boom box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

KildarX posted:

or a ghetto blaster boom box.

I'll drill this next monday.Gotta be ready whenever for any dance battle that may happen.

żAlso any one has a good video with escapes from the mount?

• Locked thread