Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Kisenosato v Ichinojo on day 11 :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Diplomat posted:

Kisenosato v Ichinojo on day 11 :black101:

Came here to post just that.

gently caress, that match is going to be insaaaaane.

Man, Hakuho just barely escaped there.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 23, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gyoji please don't commit suicide. :ohdear:

Could someone shed some light on the importance of the dropping of the envelope? The crowd seemed a bit shook by that as well.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

net work error posted:

Could someone shed some light on the importance of the dropping of the envelope? The crowd seemed a bit shook by that as well.

Like an American flag touching the ground, but with 2000 years of shame instead of 238.

anakha posted:

gently caress, that match is going to be insaaaaane.

I predict a 5-minute long snoozer that doesn't end until one of them falls asleep. The immovable object meets.. the immovable object.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Chiyotairyu is out with a knee injury sustained in the last match.

Poor Osunaarashi, all these injuries have 'promoted' him into the meat grinder again, he's going to find it tough with his heel.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpsp4QL4vlw

Double crowdsurfing! :neckbeard:

:laffo: Ichinojo with the MASSIVE troll job on Kisenosato

Was that a hairpull by Hakuho on the replay?

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Haha Kisenosato's such a loving scrub

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

loving Ichinojo ruining what was supposed to be the clash of titans.

And I have got to stop eating when Aoiyama comes up because he is seriously one gross dude.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Fryhtaning posted:

And I have got to stop eating when Aoiyama comes up because he is seriously one gross dude.

The finest man-titties in all of sumo.

Something about him always makes me think that he's wearing a body suit.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Something about him always makes me think that he's wearing a body suit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
At least Gagamaru's gone. He's 4-7 in Juryo so I think we can probably expect not to see him back in Makuuchi for a while.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

At least Gagamaru's gone. He's 4-7 in Juryo so I think we can probably expect not to see him back in Makuuchi for a while.

Yeah, plus Gagamaru is old. *looks up Gagamaru on Wikipedia to find out he's only 27* Holy poo poo, he looks so old but it younger than Aoiyama.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Speaking of old, what Kyokutenho's doing is amazing. Only one win away from a winning record at the age of 40. He's competing against wrestlers who weren't born when he started his career.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Tsaedje posted:

Speaking of old, what Kyokutenho's doing is amazing. Only one win away from a winning record at the age of 40. He's competing against wrestlers who weren't born when he started his career.

I keep wondering to myself how he's still going so well in such an unforgiving sport. I'm amazed his body hasn't broken down by now, but I hope he keeps going! I have to imagine if he ever wins a tournament again he'd retire after that. What better time to go out than at the top? Aside from that, I have no idea when he might go. I would guess a major injury that would require him to miss a tournament would do it.

Also, Ichinojo just loving with Kise was great, but man I would have loved to see him take him down without a stupid henka. Hilarious that Kise fell for it, though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ichinojo is amazing. I am absolutely loving this run. I really hope we get to see Ichinojo vs Hakhuo, I am sure it would be incredible.

Props to Aminishiki this basho as well, he's on fire. I've always enjoyed his wily wrestling in the past and I hope he can finish with a great record this time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Flayer posted:

Ichinojo is amazing. I am absolutely loving this run. I really hope we get to see Ichinojo vs Hakhuo, I am sure it would be incredible.

Props to Aminishiki this basho as well, he's on fire. I've always enjoyed his wily wrestling in the past and I hope he can finish with a great record this time.

Reminder: Tochinoshin beat Ichinojo twice in a row on the last day last basho to get the Juryo yusho. Its gonna be great to see him back next time.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

Nothing makes my day quite like watching Kisenosato choke.

It never stops being true.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLIlfcehOo

Endo :ughh:

Ichinojo :staredog: :staredog: :staredog:

Kotoshogiku :black101:

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Finally caught up.

Oh my.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I saw a little sperg about Ichinojo on junk news yesterday. When asked about what surprised him about Japan after growing up in rural Mongolia, he replied "Plumbing. You just twist a handle and water comes out! :eyepop:" Dude used to have to carry 20 liters of water from the local river multiple times a day.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

peanut posted:

I saw a little sperg about Ichinojo on junk news yesterday. When asked about what surprised him about Japan after growing up in rural Mongolia, he replied "Plumbing. You just twist a handle and water comes out! :eyepop:" Dude used to have to carry 20 liters of water from the local river multiple times a day.

That's what we call "country strong" out here. Jesus, 52,000 sq km and 90,000 people in the region that he grew up in.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5j3coTXn5E

Still trying to figure out how to pronounce "okurihikiotoshi".

Congrats to Kyokutenho for his kachikoshi!

Hooooooly poo poo Goeido!!!

There is no :stare: big enough for that Ichinojo-Kakuryu bout - both with the result and how the bout was won.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 26, 2014

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goddamn, that was weird. Ichinojo making Kakuryu looking like a chump with that henka was hilarious though. Also, Tochinoshin still without a loss.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
This basho is going to tear the fabric of reality apart isn't it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ichinojo is just trolling all the way and it's great.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I would lose my mind if Ichinojo yusho'd

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

net work error posted:

Ichinojo is just trolling all the way and it's great.

I love it. I can't even begin to describe how much I am loving this basho. I had to have my hands over my mouth the last couple of bouts to stop from yelling since I'm watching at work.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Pvt. Public posted:

I love it. I can't even begin to describe how much I am loving this basho. I had to have my hands over my mouth the last couple of bouts to stop from yelling since I'm watching at work.

This.

I think when Hakuho lost Ichinojo was thinking, "I don't loving care about 'good sumo', I need to win today." Absolutely incredible. Maybe he intentionally jumped the gun to get Kakuryuu to overcommit?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Funkysauce posted:

This.

I think when Hakuho lost Ichinojo was thinking, "I don't loving care about 'good sumo', I need to win today." Absolutely incredible. Maybe he intentionally jumped the gun to get Kakuryuu to overcommit?

It wouldn't surprise me. He basically did the same thing to Kise. Also, holy poo poo did the camera pan to Ichinojo super fast once Hakuho went down. And he never flinched. Stoic, stone faced monster he is.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pvt. Public posted:

It wouldn't surprise me. He basically did the same thing to Kise. Also, holy poo poo did the camera pan to Ichinojo super fast once Hakuho went down. And he never flinched. Stoic, stone faced monster he is.

I lost it when the camera started zooming around everywhere. It easy like the royal tenenbaums

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was rewatching the two Tochinoshin-Ichinojo bouts from the previous basho, and Ichinojo looks like he's very difficult to unbalance or move around while both feet are planted, but it's a completely different story once one foot leaves the ground.

Ikioi's win over Ichinojo this basho seems to bear that out.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

I think Ikioi is a shoo-in for the ikioi award this basho.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Ichinojo gains weight and then becomes the next Musashimaru?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4CSEYR-cs4

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

anakha posted:

I was rewatching the two Tochinoshin-Ichinojo bouts from the previous basho, and Ichinojo looks like he's very difficult to unbalance or move around while both feet are planted, but it's a completely different story once one foot leaves the ground.

This is what I meant earlier when I very poorly described Ichinojo as a stable wrestler.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 14 - here we go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97fvdI9MgQ

Yikes - make that a partial Day 14 due to the volcano...

The next stage of crowdsurfing - rikishi surfing! :neckbeard:

:lol: at Kintamayama's commentary on Takarafuji-Goeido.

Guess that was Kisenosato's karma for loving up the tachi-ai three times.

Hakuho won that one at the tachi-ai by beating Ichinojo to the ideal mawashi grip, I think.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 27, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Volcanoes look pretty scary and I hope I never live near one.

Kisenosato not looking very relaxed there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOOgoUi4no

Takayasu-Aoiyama was pretty drat good.

Figured there would be a Osunaarashi-Endo bout - not suprised they'd save it until the last day.

31 yusho - still a major :stare: anyway you look at it.

I'll be shocked if Ichinojo doesn't get ranked up into the meat grinder in November.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 28, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tochinoshin got 15-0 :) I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do back in form in Makuuchi. (Now watch the board promote him all the way to J1)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's a lot of envelopes. :eyepop:

The little spin at the edge that Aoiyama had there was pretty neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A great basho. Looking forward to winter.

A bunch of Spring intakes (college graduates) will be in Makushita next time, we can look forward to them being in the pros next year.

Also, who was that dude in the gold top hot? I saw him there a few of the days this week. Its great haha.