Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why is despise main with thoughtseize in the side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

If fetchlands don't find themselves in as many standard decks as shocks did how in the hell do their price stay over 10 bucks?

Single pricing is often just collusion among dealers.

Zoness posted:

I imagine he just doesn't want to pay life.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zoness posted:

Not sure, but maybe a justification could be most, if not all, decks are going to rely on creature/planeswalker strategies, so unless they're running a weird control deck it isn't worth the 2 life.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Not sure, but maybe a justification could be most, if not all, decks are going to rely on creature/planeswalker strategies, so unless they're running a weird control deck it isn't worth the 2 life.

A poor justification.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

A poor justification.

Or, they're expecting 80% of the decks to be rabble red, which is a much better justification, and also true.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Single pricing is often just collusion among dealers.

I imagine he just doesn't want to pay life.

Your life is pretty irrelevant in an aggro deck. Another reason why Sorin is bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Your life is pretty irrelevant in an aggro deck. Another reason why Sorin is bad.

I didn't say I agreed with it. Also, Sorin is a good Magic card.

Also, I think I'm going to buy a playset of Chandra, Pyromaster. She's so fun with Courser of Kruphix and she's easily the cheapest playable Planeswalker around.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

This is why I'm running 11 painlands and 4 fetches in mardu Aggro :unsmigghh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

Zero reason not to. I'd run the full 12. 4x Caves 4x Forge 4x Confluence.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Zero reason not to. I'd run the full 12. 4x Caves 4x Forge 4x Confluence.
Who needs life when you can simply murder your opponent?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Between the apparent momentum of the game and positive reception to Khans, it can be expected to be opened a lot, it should push prices down hard. Won't be drafted with the last set though, so staples may go up a bit until it and Fate cycle out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

BTW looking at that Mana base, Soldier is VERY reasonable. You have 12 ways to make white mana right there.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lord Of Texas posted:

A poor justification.
Outside of the Jeskai Combo deck, which new standard deck isn't running a planeswalker or creature as a wincon?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Korak posted:

Outside of the Jeskai Combo deck, which new standard deck isn't running a planeswalker or creature as a wincon?

The point is that Thoughtsieze is much better and the only way you want Despise is in matchups where you want more than 4 Thoughtsieze.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cactrot posted:

3 mountains 20 fetches

let the bodies hit the floooooooooor

someone is actually considering that somewhere. "if you think about it all fetches are like lotus petals for delve :downs:"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Our early testing has found that most of the time we're taking a creature or planeswalker with discard anyway. It isn't that the 2 life is the issue but why pay it when you don't have to?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lord Of Texas posted:

A poor justification.

The other issue is potentially that Thoughtseize is $18, a.k.a. "the poor justifiction."

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Or, they're expecting 80% of the decks to be rabble red, which is a much better justification, and also true.

No meta in the history of Magic has ever been 80% anything. Not even Caw-Blade at its most dominant was 80% of the meta.

jassi007 posted:

Our early testing has found that most of the time we're taking a creature or planeswalker with discard anyway. It isn't that the 2 life is the issue but why pay it when you don't have to?

Great but it's wayyyy to early in the season to predict what a particular tournament or meta is going to look like, even if you think your group has it figured out. I don't have it figured out either, and that's the point. Thoughtseize is uncertainty insurance.

Korak posted:

That's not the point. I didn't say Despise was useless. But sometimes, even when the opponent has a creature or planeswalker in hand, you're likely to want to have the option of taking an instant/sorcery/enchantment/artifact instead. There's a reason Despise wasn't played last time it was in standard, and those were the days of Stoneforge/Squadron Hawk/Jace/Gideon.

Angry Grimace posted:

The other issue is potentially that Thoughtseize is $18, a.k.a. "the poor justifiction."

This of course is valid.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well yeah, Thoughtseize is just better in general. The only legitimate reason to not play Thoughtseize if you are in a black deck is you can't afford them. Despise is probably more relevant than Duress would be in Standard, but its not Thoughtseize. There's a reason Kibler hates the card - its just so good there's no reason not to seize if you can.

I can't say I'm going to be sad to see Thoughtseize rotate out even though I play with them all the time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lord Of Texas posted:

Great but it's wayyyy to early in the season to predict what a particular tournament or meta is going to look like, even if you think your group has it figured out. I don't have it figured out either, and that's the point. Thoughtseize is uncertainty insurance.

Sure thankfully this isn't a final decklist no takesy-backseys. What will probably happen is the final list will have some combination of despise and Thoughtseize main and side that doesn't necessarily have to include 4x of each. I don't claim to have the format figured but despise has been good so far against things we expect to see early courser decks rabble red and monoblack.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can we all just stop being upset about Thoughtseize being the best black card in standard and instead revel in how flavorful Bloodsoaked Champion is and that Sarkhan is the best Redwalker since Pyromaster?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

Can we all just stop being upset about Thoughtseize being the best black card in standard and instead revel in how flavorful Bloodsoaked Champion is and that Sarkhan is the best Redwalker since Pyromaster?

Isn't it also the first red walker since Pyromaster?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
^^ Not monoRed no, there was Xenagos.

Count Bleck posted:

It's kind of annoying that, especially coming off the back of BW Midrange, I'm being drawn into Mardu or Abzan, which will probably call for getting Nissas or Sarkhans (or Stormbreaths, which is little better)

At least Painlands aren't too expensive.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My brother is on the hunt for his last Thoughtseize now so he can make his Modern deck better. He doesn't play Black in anything but his Rat Tribal Modern deck.

Gotta remind him to get his Mutavaults too. Have they hit their pricing-floor (~$12) or will they drop a bit more?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I have a foil miscut pearl lake ancient, is it wrong to hope it becomes a control finisher so I can sell it for cash money?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I have a foil miscut pearl lake ancient, is it wrong to hope it becomes a control finisher so I can sell it for cash money?

How would that ever be wrong? edit: attempted humblebrag failed

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Korak posted:

Just for the record as someone who has been testing the Jeskai Ascendency deck it's almost always right to Thoughtseize a mana dork t1 against it anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Could someone explain the jeskai ascendency deck?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Rinkles posted:

You cast cheap non-creature spells with a dork in play to make a ton of mana and +1/+1 counters, then swing for infinity minus one. In modern you can do this as early as turn 2, in standard as early as turn 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Primarily modern or also standard?

E:I see the edit

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

General situation is get two mana dorks and Ascendency in play and start chaining cantrip auras. You can either just get your dorks big enough to fly over for lethal with Stratus Walk, or get positive mana by drawing into a second Ascendency, Twinflame, or Retraction Helix + Dragon Mantle and win with Burning Anger.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Actually I think the Modern one is more Cantrip-Storm up a Grapeshot with your basically infinite mana from mana dorks and backup "swing this loving huge BoP at your face."

The Satndard one is "Retraction Helix on Ornithopter. Send this Astral Cornicopia/Briber's Purse/Tormod's Crypt back to my hand. Replay it for free. Ascendancy Trigger, untap Ornithopter. Repeat until HUGE. Swing an Infinty/Infinity+2 Ornithopter at your face."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

The Satndard one is "Retraction Helix on Ornithopter. Send this Astral Cornicopia/Briber's Purse/Tormod's Crypt back to my hand. Replay it for free. Ascendancy Trigger, untap Ornithopter. Repeat until HUGE. Swing an Infinty/Infinity+2 Ornithopter at your face."

the standard one is the modern one just with less cantrips, the wincon is the same except you make a ton of mana and fireball.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The artifact version of the combo is real loving bad never play it

The only real debate is whether you go all out with enchantments and run Eidolon of Blossoms and Kruphix's Insight to minimize fizzle chance or if you run the more powerful but less consistent version that mains Twinflame and Retraction Helix and uses Delve spells or Divination for card draw

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The artifact version of the combo is real loving bad never play it
Yea you can cut those poo poo cards for a fireball and never look back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

^^ Not monoRed no, there was Xenagos.

I'm not sure that Sarkhan is better than Xenagos.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cernunnos posted:

The version I saw was more robust, with dorks and removal, and Ensoul Artifact as a backup plan. This one might become a Thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So you're telling me there's a chance of standard playable Treasure Cruises? Would make me happy. (Or was that happening anyway?)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

So you're telling me there's a chance of standard playable Treasure Cruises? Would make me happy. (Or was that happening anyway?)

Definitely. The effect is too good not to see a least an attempt at competitive play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure treasure cruise will be standard staple as it's been fantastic in testing. It comes down at 1-3 mana in most situations and when topdecked is virtually always 1-2 mana. Can just immediately break a game since it actually ADDS tempo instead of slows it down in many cases. Super strange spell to play with, it feels like you're doing some sort of combo but nope, just playing a card and drawing 3.

• Locked thread