Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
After 150+ dives without a computer (yeah, yeah...) I am finally going to get one before going to the Galapagos this December. Anyone have any recommendations for something in the range of $300-450? Don't want wireless pressure integration, those are too expensive. I'm thinking of the Oceanic Geo2 since some friends in my local dive club lent me theirs for a trip to Australia in July. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I've been using a Geo 2 and am quite happy with it.

However, unless I'm mistaken, accessing your dive record can only be done with a computer connection. It will however show you your last dive.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks for the suggestions as they relate to popping my ears, I had assumed that it had to be done that way for some reason, but that always seemed odd to me. Probably just bad advice because it was Jamaica.

So I want to learn to scuba dive, and I want to do it properly, get certified if I like it and all that, does anyone have any good recommendations for learning/getting certified in San Diego? There are a ton of search results for it but I feel like if I'm not careful I will be ripped off.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Trivia posted:

I've been using a Geo 2 and am quite happy with it.

However, unless I'm mistaken, accessing your dive record can only be done with a computer connection. It will however show you your last dive.

Only your last dive, singular? That is pretty lame.

I've been pretty happy with my Suunto Zoop - computer and battery both going strong after 500+ dives. You can go through a certain number of hours of dives, which usually translates to about 30-50 dives for me. The one downside might be that since you're a seasoned diver you might find that you're not getting enough bottom time (i.e. that it's too conservative).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah, only previous dive. I don't bother much with recording my dives so it doesn't affect me much. It would be nice to be able to do however.

Then again, maybe I'm just a dumbass and didn't read the manual well (highly likely).

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Trivia posted:

Yeah, only previous dive. I don't bother much with recording my dives so it doesn't affect me much. It would be nice to be able to do however.

Then again, maybe I'm just a dumbass and didn't read the manual well (highly likely).

Just checking their spec sheet, they claim 24 dive on-unit log book, which is probably good enough for most full vacations.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/geo-2-0/

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

I have a question about scuba diving. A long time ago I went scuba diving in Jamaca, it was the standard cheepo probably dangerous scuba affair. Anyway on the way down they told us to plug our nose and exhale hard into it to pop our ears. Well I've never been able to do that to pop my ears so I had to come back up and was told I couldn't scuba dive.

My whole life I have popped my ears by wiggling my jaw in a particular way. Grabbing my nose and blowing does absolutely nothing for me and can somtimes just clog my ears more. Am I doomed to never scuba dive or is popping my ears the way I do it viable?

Like others have said, it really doesn't matter. However, I wanted to add that if you are using the "hold the nose" method, you definitely shouldn't be exhaling hard in one go. That way danger lies and it's inconsistent. I used to do this when I started and ended up not being able to equalise some times and equalising with ear pain other times. After a while, talking to some more experienced divers about it, I realised the better way is to hold your nose and gradually increase the pressure until it equalises. This is far more controlled and consistent and also gives you feedback so you know when you really should just ascend a bit and when you can just get it done.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Schmoli posted:

Just checking their spec sheet, they claim 24 dive on-unit log book, which is probably good enough for most full vacations.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/geo-2-0/

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think you have to connect it to your PC to view the log book.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trivia posted:

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think you have to connect it to your PC to view the log book.

You don't. I have a GEO 2, and I don't have any of the PC software, but I can view all of my previous dives (up to a limit of 24, which I haven't hit yet)

So that no one misunderstands: the GEO 2 lets you view your 24 most recent dives without connecting to a PC

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Well poo poo, got myself some reading to do then.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Thanks for the replies, folks. Geo2 sounds like a pretty good bet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

Thanks for the replies, folks. Geo2 sounds like a pretty good bet.

It's pretty sweet. I'm a newbie diver, so I don't use nearly all of the features, but it seems to be pretty complete if you're into the more advanced stuff. The basic feature set is great, and despite having 4 buttons I've never felt like it's difficult to navigate, which was my first concern (I bought it used from a friend)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks for the suggestions as they relate to popping my ears, I had assumed that it had to be done that way for some reason, but that always seemed odd to me. Probably just bad advice because it was Jamaica.

So I want to learn to scuba dive, and I want to do it properly, get certified if I like it and all that, does anyone have any good recommendations for learning/getting certified in San Diego? There are a ton of search results for it but I feel like if I'm not careful I will be ripped off.

Eco Dive Center up in LA is completely amazing, I'm sure you could give them a call and they could get you set up with a shop down in SD.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Did my GUE Fundies course in Singapore a few days ago. It was a pretty intense few days, lots learned. Haven't downed the Kool Aid just yet, but interestingly even the instructor had a couple of criticisms on aspects of the GUE membership (douchebag elitest types which, largely confined to the US west coast, specifically Seattle).

I'd recommend the course, the only real downside of it was the cost; was not cheap.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Any tips for PADI's rescue diver course? Orientation is tonight, class is the first week of October.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I just took SSI's EFR and Rescue course last month. It was fun executing new skills underwater, but to be honest I feel I wasn't challenged nearly enough. At no point did I think something was really that difficult or stressful.

Some people though say their experiences were highly stressful yet still rewarding and fun (after the fact).

Just make sure you're very comfortable in the water, and not prone to panic. My favorite dive was my "poo poo buddy" dive. At the beginning of the dive my buddy disconnected his low pressure inflator hose (when I wasn't looking). He then sank like a stone to the bottom, and I had to go and figure out what was up and fix it. While attempting to get that sumbitch back in, he floods my mask then throws sand all up in my face. Total white out. I had to pick his rear end up and move him over 10 feet just to see. Then he did it again.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 20, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That sounds like good training. Mine didn't have nearly so lovely a poo poo buddy.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
In that regard it was pretty fun to be honest. There were times where he'd take his BC completely off, and I had to put it back on him. Or he'd tangle himself in his own reel so we had to simulate surfacing and getting help. Preventing a panicking buddy from surfacing was pretty interesting too.

I just wish there were an instance where I'd be paralyzed with choices, as in having to quickly ascertain who was in most need of help and act accordingly. The Emergency First Response portion could have been better too. I know the material for diving emergencies pretty well, but for other things I feel I could use more practice.

In water rescue breathing, boat recovery, then CPR is a bitch though. If you don't exercise regularly you'll get pretty winded I'd think.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is the boat recovery mandatory in SSI training? My PADI rescue course didn't have it (and we had no boat to do it with; we were diving off a freezing beach north of Seattle).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
No idea to be honest. My trainer was a woman about 10-15 kilos lighter than me, plus I regularly lift. It wasn't difficult getting her out of the pool. During open water practice, you had to direct ppl on the boat on what to do, then immediately jump out and start CPR. The most difficult part was by far removing their equipment, giving rescue breaths every 5 seconds, and also swimming towards the boat. Time was also of the essence.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, we definitely did that part, and it was pretty physically challenging.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I've been thinking about doing the Rescue diver course, I've heard it's a lot more worthwhile than Master scuba diver. Maybe I'll look into technical diving after that. Looking forward to my first ever dive on the Thistlegorm later today, I've returned to Sharm after 18 years away (including a 12 year diving hiatus from 2000 to 2012) and the sites I'd done previously seem almost as stunning now as they were when I was 14.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
As for tips for the Rescue Course, I'd make sure that you have excellent buoyancy control, and that you also have good fin control. Knowing several kicks and even being able to swim backwards will all help out immensely.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
I was planning on doing my first live aboard dive trip next year.

Did a AOWD and Nitrox course so far and have around 27 dives under my belt, all within the last 3 years and mostly during summer holidays in Egypt and Australia.

Do you think that is enough experience to get on a boat and do you recommend any other courses / specializations that could be good to do beforehand?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I did my first liveaboard with a similar number. I guess it depends on the location and site. Usually they'll do easy dives at first to get a feel for your skill level, then allocate you to a guide / divemaster depending on how comfortable they feel about you.

Otherwise most liveaboard dives are the same as any other boat dives.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I thought boat rescue was mandatory for PADI. I had to do it for both scenarios and obviously as standalone skills test and the instructor wasn't passing me until I completed it all the way without allowing water in to the DM victim's face, kept the proper seal, etc. It was challenging, especially in 6 foot waves and current, but valuable. And yeah, the distressed diver thing, especially when they did multiple distressed drivers was fun, but there was a lot going on.

Agreed with the recommendation on buoyancy/fin control. If you don't have good control of yourself underwater you're going to struggle with preventing ascent and controlled ascents of unresponsive divers.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Feka posted:

Did a AOWD and Nitrox course so far and have around 27 dives under my belt, all within the last 3 years and mostly during summer holidays in Egypt and Australia.

Do you think that is enough experience to get on a boat and do you recommend any other courses / specializations that could be good to do beforehand?

Normally they want you to have 50 dives for liveaboards in Egypt. But I have seen plenty of people with less (i.e. I did my first dive after OWD from a liveaboard). In general it's just so they don't have the boat full of newbies and can assign a guide to you. Also some of the dives on liveaboards are deeper/harder than what you normally do from land. Plus they want to be sure you really like diving because if not you're essentially caged up for a week without anything to do.

Just be sure to mention it when you reserve it and make sure they acknowledge it back.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I didn't have a multiple distressed diver scenario. I feel cheated dammit.

On a different note, I'm thinking of going to Hawaii in December. Can anyone recommend if / where I should go diving? I prefer non-touristy areas in all honesty.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

On a different note, I'm thinking of going to Hawaii in December. Can anyone recommend if / where I should go diving? I prefer non-touristy areas in all honesty.

What islands are you visiting? I've only dove on the Big Island, but I've done it quite a bit and enjoyed it. Kona has historically tended to be less touristy than Hilo, but I'm not sure if that's true anymore. Strong recommendation for Big Island Divers, though, if you do go there, particularly their "black water" nighttime pelagic dive.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I haven't decided which island, which means I'm open to any of them really. I DO love night dives though. I went to Indonesia this last August and my last dive was a night dive in the lovely harbor. Saw a ton of great things, including an octopus which we saw feeding. The little dude was gorging on the red worm-things that our torches brought out of hiding.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

I haven't decided which island, which means I'm open to any of them really. I DO love night dives though. I went to Indonesia this last August and my last dive was a night dive in the lovely harbor. Saw a ton of great things, including an octopus which we saw feeding. The little dude was gorging on the red worm-things that our torches brought out of hiding.

You'll want to do the manta ray dive there as well, then. (It's a night dive when the plankton swarm and a bunch of mantas show up to feed). You are not only guaranteed to see mantas, you will have to duck to keep them from clocking you in the head.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Trivia posted:

I had 4 on mine. I later discovered this was not standard at all.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Trivia posted:

Tossing in a recommendation for Jack's Diving Locker out of Kona, then. They do the manta ray dives and pelagic black water dives as well, and I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with them.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Trivia posted:

I don't think that was a book test, but after I dealt with the DM victim, my instructor started sinking and panicking, then I dealt with him and turned around, and my DM was gone, so I went to go get her and she was at like 20 feet, then started trying to ascend rapidly, etc etc, til I realized they weren't going to stop loving up until I talked them down and told them to hang out with their overinflated BCDs.

That took me a shamefully long time to work out but it wasn't a mistake I made again.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I just looked and Jack's website and I gotta say, prices are pretty nuts. They're as much as Palau's two tank dives (~$120-150). Are the dive sites far away from the dive center? In Palau the prices were so high because of the fuel costs of getting to sites (took about 45 mins to an hour one way by boat).

Quite the contrast to Indonesia's ~$35 per tank rates.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Trivia posted:

I just looked and Jack's website and I gotta say, prices are pretty nuts. They're as much as Palau's two tank dives (~$120-150). Are the dive sites far away from the dive center? In Palau the prices were so high because of the fuel costs of getting to sites (took about 45 mins to an hour one way by boat).

Quite the contrast to Indonesia's ~$35 per tank rates.

The dive sites are generally 20-30 minutes or less by boat. As for the prices, I dunno. Hawaii tourist markup, perhaps? A two tank dive out of VA beach near me seems to be about $110 as well.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah I think I'm just spoiled.

And no one ever said scuba is a cheap hobby.

e: Ho-ly poo poo I just looked for December flights and my god is it expensive getting there (from Japan). I might have to scrub this particular trip blergh. I could fly to San Francisco for a third less the cost. Doubt I'd be diving in CA though. :(

Trivia fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be

Feka posted:

That should be fine, many of the divers on the live aboard I've just come back from were at about this level. My advice for live aboards? Don't skip any of the dives unless you are unwell or have some other non-trivial reason. Some of the best things I saw were on the dives that many of the others didn't go for because they didn't want to wake up early or just felt like lazing around the ship.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah, when I was in the Maldives I made sure to go on every single one. Another couple decided to scrub their afternoon dive.

They'd have been totally justified in doing so, except at the very end a loving 8 meter whale shark came outta the blue and only a few of us actually got to swim next to it.

Moral of the story: Go on all your dives, and for god's sake look around when someone starts banging their tank like a madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
Wife and I are thinking Raja Ampat early next year 2 weeks 1 week at misool and 1 week on Tiger blue.

Anyone been to this resort or liveaboard?