Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Drunk & Ugly posted:

would anyone here name their son tyrone

maybe, tyrone powers was p cool

quote:

would it be weird if he was white

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Attention Whore posted:

The right-leaning board-members said they believe history teachers should teach nationalism, respect for authority and reverence for free markets. They should avoid teaching any historical events or acts that promote “civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

---

High school AP history, he said, should be less like a college course and award more plaudits to the founding fathers

did they forget that whole thing where the founding fathers rebelled against the King?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Carpet posted:

did they forget that whole thing where the founding fathers rebelled against the King?

that was wealthy whites doing it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It's funny how he basically admits that the only way one could become patriotic about America is to be taught a bunch of lies about its history.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I went to high school in a really rich area and all the rich kids would get so mad during Econ, History, and Gov classes. It was real fun watching them fume quietly in their chairs and sometimes they'd try to argue with the teacher that Keynesianism is liberal propaganda or something retarded like that and I'd have even more fun.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
This is insane. That bolded quote is blood-curdling.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
They are just tired of southern tobacco and cotton farmers being painted as villains in the American narrative. They want to highlight not the shameful enslavement and abuse of entire races of human beings, but instead the entrepreneurial spirit of industrious plantation owners and what they were able to accomplish with hundreds of people following their every command for fear of severe beatings.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Nothing like revering a bunch of guys who set up one of the great slave colonies the world has ever known.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

juniperjones posted:

This is insane. That bolded quote is blood-curdling.

people talk about it being "fun" to watch the cognitive dissonance of american conservatives but in fact their ability to hold two contradictory thoughts in their head without issue is a great evolutionary advantage in the american political environment

it kinda stops being funny when you realize that

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i wish cognitive dissonance of that caliber resulted in scanners-style head explosions

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah it's pretty impressive to recognize that progressives are the heroes of history but still be completely certain that your side is right.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Well you see, the problem is that if we were to acknowledge the facts of the situation plainly and truthfully, we conservatives would come out as the villains of the story

lol how do you even say this poo poo without taking a moment stop and think about what you're implying

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I keep wanting to make Texas jokes, and have to remind myself this is Colorado.

Colorado out-Texased Texas. Good work?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
they know. just like you know its bad to litter or not use your turn signal. then why do you do it?

makes u think

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Devils Affricate posted:

Well you see, the problem is that if we were to acknowledge the facts of the situation plainly and truthfully, we conservatives would come out as the villains of the story

lol how do you even say this poo poo without taking a moment stop and think about what you're implying

:aaa:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You should keep the laborers and farmers in the South and West ignorant, let only the true captains of industry and guardians of liberalism in the Northeast worry about education and corporations. Not like you can make a company or school out of a bunch of tobacco fields, lol.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Attention Whore posted:

High school AP history, he said, should be less like a college course and award more plaudits to the founding fathers, captains of industry and other conservative heroes. The liberal bias in the AP curriculum, he said, will turn students against large companies, corporations and wealthy Americans.

The obvious complete and total idiocy aside, that's what an AP class is; a college course offered to high school students. Then they take a college level test showing that they have learned the college level material then they get college credit.

Watch as universities drop the accreditation for their 'AP' history class and screw over all the students because the school board is apparently more interested in pursuing a political agenda than teaching students and starting them on a successful life path.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
hosed up if true.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
t4eacher: today we're going to learn about the war of 1812
me: *storms up to front of classroom holding copies of books like "lies my teacher told me" and "a people's history of the united states" high up in my hands*
me: stop the lies! stop the lies!
class: (joining chant) stop the lies! stop the lies!
me: how could theey have really murdered 6 million people without us knowing? it seems pretty dubious tbh
class: (silent)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think that's what Jesus would want.

Edit:
It's right there in the bible: "And so sayeth the LORD: stop thinking by yourselves you fools!" (Douchebagians 6:13)

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 26, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The issue with Texas trying to change poo poo is that they actually have some say over what gets put into textbooks. Nobody gives a poo poo about Jefferson County, Colorado, so I'd like to see their proposed plan for removing any mentions of civil disobedience (and I guess any history between 1950-1980) from teaching materials.

Also, the teachers are going to teach that stuff anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Izumi Konata posted:

me: *storms up to front of classroom holding copies of books like "lies my teacher told me" and "a people's history of the united states" high up in my hands*
me: how could theey have really murdered 6 million people without us knowing? it seems pretty dubious tbh

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Bible posted:

I keep wanting to make Texas jokes, and have to remind myself this is Colorado.

Colorado out-Texased Texas. Good work?

With the exception of the chill weed Denver metro area it's mainly red rural low population counties.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I am starting to see why South Park was based in Colorado.

Junkfist posted:

On the plus side this means the protest will never have existed, so retroactively this thread doesn't either.
SNAKE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Izumi Konata posted:

same but with maoism-third-worldism

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I hope I live to see america totally collapse instead of just circling the toilet bowl

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
let me tell you about gramsci & the hippies, op

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you see, progressives drive like *this* but conservatives drive like... *this!*

(raucous laughter)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
rethuglicans

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean, it's true that the way "civil disobedience" is taught to use in school shows all the people who did it as heroes. This isn't really deniable. We look at the people who are being dicks and are like "don't let that black girl in the school!" and they are bad, and it's right. And we look at the guy in a peaceful march getting blasted by a firehose and he is a cool guy and the people doing that are bad, and that's right.

But like uh, history isn't a story with like good guys and bad guys or heroes or whatever, history is just history. When you teach people about history you should try to remove as much of the bias as you possibly can from it, I'm pretty sure that's what a big part of the study of "history" is all about. It's why when people write books about history they cite actual written down things that are real or whatever, and not just other people's opinions about what happened.

But ofc removing bias completely from history is impossible cause everybody has a bias, a bias is just a thing that's there. Which is why it's important to try and understand other people's points of view and cultures and poo poo like that, in order to understand history more completely by looking at it from more than one perspective. Which is why NOT TEACHING YOUR KIDS ABOUT HUGELY IMPORTANT PARTS OF HISTORY is wrong and bad because it's not trying to remove the bias, it's just adding more bias in a different way. Or whatever.

History is weird, ya'know, 'cause when most people think about history they think "history is a thing that happened, and there's only one way that it happened and that way is the Truth". But in reality we have no idea what happened in the past lol, or at least we don't know what happened back then in a sort of "We hold within ourselves the TRUTH" kind of way. We have dates, and actions taken, and things said, and we are pretty sure that these things happened, and we piece poo poo together. But it's like all those things are from certain perspectives, and when you try to construct a "history" you are going to have all those biases, and sometimes they contradict each other.

So like really there is no "TRUTH" kind of history, it just doesn't exist. History is not something concrete and solid and "this is how it happened guys!" But even though it is impossible to get there, it is the place that we are trying our hardest to get to. We have to get to the TRUTH, even though we can't get there. It's the path that we take to get there which is important.

But like there's a difference between truth and TRUTH, right. Like I've mentioned there are "real" things that we base our history on, I consider that truth, lower case truth. That's what we construct our histories out of. And to get a history that tells us the most truthful thing you can't just toss out things because you "feel like it". We toss things out when we doubt their authenticity based on other things and poo poo like that. But not because "oh it tells a bad story about our history we can't have that."

The history that I was taught was a history based on truths that held biases favoring the people who worked FOR civil disobedience and the rights of all people. And therefore it is a history that has that sort of perspective, and it shows them as heroes and other people as bad guys. Is it the closest thing to the TRUTH? Idk man, I think so? I dont' know. But what I do know is that removing truths and real written things from history is definitively taking us further away from the TRUTH and that is a bad thing 100%.

what a bad post who logged into my account and wrote this what the hell

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we have always been at war with eastasia

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
What's the difference between TRUTH and truth?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

What's the difference between TRUTH and truth?

sorry, I tried to define it within that wall of text

lower case truth is just things like written down texts, "primary sources" I think is what historians call them. Art and architecture and things that are stuff that we found that we try and use to figure out what happened. The authenticity of these sources have to be uh like argued against and stuff, but we also have to assume that there is some truth out there otherwise we could just say it was all made up.

TRUTH is just an idea, it's not something that actually exists, but we believe it to exist. We believe the TRUTH of history to be what "actually happened". Like a sort of "now" but in the past. We are all very sure (usually) about what's happening right this second; i.e. what's happening in the present. It's a kind of TRUTH but it's ephemeral because well that's what the present is. Also then there's assumptions about things like "is what I perceive 'ACTUALLY' reality?" and it gets confusing. But TRUTH is just an ideal.

I'm limited by my use of language to communicate my ideas, I'm sry.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 26, 2014

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

SHISHKABOB posted:

sorry, I tried to define it within that wall of text

lower case truth is just things like written down texts, "primary sources" I think is what historians call them. Art and architecture and things that are stuff that we found that we try and use to figure out what happened. The authenticity of these sources have to be uh like argued against and stuff, but we also have to assume that there is some truth out there otherwise we could just say it was all made up.

I'm limited by my use of language to communicate my ideas, I'm sry.

History is all made up. It's a made up narrative following the personal bias of the historian. What counts as primary source and how you interepret each source varies greatly from historian to historian. There is no TRUTH.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

History is all made up. It's a made up narrative following the personal bias of the historian. What counts as primary source and how you interepret each source varies greatly from historian to historian. There is no TRUTH.

yes i know im trying to say that, I suppose

I edited my post and it says in it basically what your post says

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*farts philosophically*

but i do not smell it, therfore u must have dealt it, qed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are things that are widely accepted though, it's not like you can just go 'who knows man history is all made up what if the Holocaust never really happened!'

I mean, you can, but you look like a loving idiot.

And the reason civil disobedience in AP US history is given a positive bent is because as a result of civil disobedience and rebelling against authority, the United States became a sovereign country. And also many groups of people living in the US that were previously hosed became a little less hosed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

this is pretty :lol:

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

The obvious complete and total idiocy aside, that's what an AP class is; a college course offered to high school students. Then they take a college level test showing that they have learned the college level material then they get college credit.

Watch as universities drop the accreditation for their 'AP' history class and screw over all the students because the school board is apparently more interested in pursuing a political agenda than teaching students and starting them on a successful life path.

Then they'd just blame the :bahgawd:LIBERAL ACADEMIA:bahgawd:.

Bonus irony points when they switch back after colleges drop their program and it's all about how the evil liberals bullied them into accepting their biased history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

this is pretty much why even boring local government posts like school board matter

• Locked thread