Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dphi posted:

Slightly torn on this one, but I'll put it here since I found it on Stanceworks...

It's a Toyota Celica with a kit

Is it FWD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

GutBomb posted:

Is it FWD?

Yep! Here it is with its current negative offset, 9" and 11" wide wheels. How are Toyota's wheel bearings?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dphi posted:

Slightly torn on this one, but I'll put it here since I found it on Stanceworks...

Geezum crow, I mean it doesn't look atrocious but just how much money did this guy spend only to end up with a 140hp FWD fauxrrari? I think the Celica ads of that era hit the nail on the head: "Looks Fast"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*hunting for krill/plankton*

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
some pics from my phone

This sounded as horrible as you would imagine.

You really need to see this full size to get it, but the car is FILLED with stuffed bears, unicorns, and other animals. Driver looked like he would be right at home in a punk rock band. :mystery:

IHOP parking lot

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dphi posted:

If you're putting that much work in, why aim so low?

It's gonna be a mclaren f1!

Wait, nope.

nope.

nope. nope. nope.

what it started life as:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I amazed those guys get the front deck heights so low. I can only imagine the horrors applied to the front suspensions.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dphi posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

iForge posted:

IHOP parking lot

wrong thread: carrying around huge amounts of stuff just fine, years past when it should have died of its years of abuse, is correct for a Volvo. the other correct fate for one is to be destroyed while saving lives.

also it's a base model 850 so they can go right ahead

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

This one should maybe have gone into the other thread;

but it's going here because of some dodgy bodywork and design decisions;

Apparently Suzuki Vitara/Mini hybrid builds are a thing

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

cynic posted:

This one should maybe have gone into the other thread;

but it's going here because of some dodgy bodywork and design decisions;

Apparently Suzuki Vitara/Mini hybrid builds are a thing

Didn't someone in AI buy one of those, albeit an awesome tasteful one? I know at least it was something similar...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"drat, this fender doesn't line up with the bumper and the chrome I got is too short. What do I do? I know, I'll shove some cable ducting on the edge, no one will notice!"

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The dog is the customer.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The VVTi Celica was a decent car (Well, other than the fact that it ate oil a lot) and was a way better replacement for the previous US Market ST205 which was a pretty overweight turd, and was one of the few cars to actually LOSE WEIGHT vs. its predecessor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think they get criticised more for not being what they could've been (like the MR-S) rather than what they were. The trillion base model ones that still had rear drums didn't help the matter.

Also it was VVTLi, it had a vtec knockoff system.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
What more do you want out of a FWD sport coupe? It was a pretty good RSX-S competitor.

Frankie Valium
Mar 28, 2013

b r o s o p h o c l e s e
b r o s t r a d a m u s
b r o c h a c h o
cross posting from E,W

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

What more do you want out of a FWD sport coupe? It was a pretty good RSX-S competitor.

I can't speak for north America but over here they go absolutely savaged for not being like a prelude SiR or integra type R.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

derplo posted:

cross posting from E,W

Man, I like Screeching Weasel somewhat, but I can't imagine putting on their bumper stickers after the whole "Ben Weasel punches a couple of woman" incident from a couple years back.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The 1ZZ was an oil-burner, but the 2ZZ to my knowledge never had oil consumption issues.
The ZZT230 isn't a bad car until you hold it up next to its prior 3 generations. All of those could be had with a snail and AWD. The 230 could have had those things too, the similar Matrix/Vibe had an AWD option (though admittedly that particular drivetrain was a bit weak) and the ZZ motors seem to like boost as much as the S motors do if you look at the stuff MWR has done.
It's basically the Renesis of the Celica line.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for north America but over here they go absolutely savaged for not being like a prelude SiR or integra type R.
More than one person (North America) has described the Celica to me as "looks like a girl's car." Not that I really agree with that.

Isn't the Celica also susceptible to some suspension issue that eats tires? I'm on my first car, went in with a $5K budget, and for a good few weeks I was between Celica or Integra... ended up with an Integra gloriously laid before me - 5 miles away, completely stock, 2 sets of wheels.

Satellit3 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2014

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible car stuff: my friend bought a used RX8 despite my advice not to. The engine exploded the other day. Mechanic says head gasket blew and it needs a new engine at about $5000. The car falls under the 8 year/100k mi extended engine warranty Mazda offers on RX8s. It's a 2007, currently at about 80k miles. The explanation is:

quote:

RX-8 Rotary Engine Core Limited Warranty Extension
Mazda Motor Corporation is extending the warranty coverage on Rotary Engine Core Components on all RX-8 vehicles produced after the 2004 model year. The warranty coverage for the Rotary Engine Core Components is extended to 8 years (96 months) from the original warranty start date, with a 100,000 mileage limitation. The following is a list of components covered by this warranty:
Rotary Engine Core

Rotary Housing and Internal Parts
Internal Seals and Gaskets

Know anyone with their RX8 engine replaced under warranty? The dealer it was towed to is telling me that it is meant for compression prone engine problems and may not cover it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cacafuego posted:

Terrible car stuff: my friend bought a used RX8 despite my advice not to. The engine exploded the other day. Mechanic says head gasket blew and it needs a new engine at about $5000. The car falls under the 8 year/100k mi extended engine warranty Mazda offers on RX8s. It's a 2007, currently at about 80k miles. The explanation is:

Know anyone with their RX8 engine replaced under warranty? The dealer it was towed to is telling me that it is meant for compression prone engine problems and may not cover it.

I've had it done. What do you want to know?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

The car doesn't have a head or head gaskets, so that would worry me a bit.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I would assume they mean coolant seals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Better get to it, we're well into the 2015 model year, so a 2007 is 8 years old.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Powershift posted:

Better get to it, we're well into the 2015 model year, so a 2007 is 8 years old.

The warranty depends on the original service date (when the car was first sold). My '06 would still be covered, if it didn't already have more than 100k miles. Best way to find out is to have a dealership run the service history by VIN, which will result in a one or two page printout with all the active and expired warranty details.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Satellit3 posted:

More than one person (North America) has described the Celica to me as "looks like a girl's car." Not that I really agree with that.

Isn't the Celica also susceptible to some suspension issue that eats tires? I'm on my first car, went in with a $5K budget, and for a good few weeks I was between Celica or Integra... ended up with an Integra gloriously laid before me - 5 miles away, completely stock, 2 sets of wheels.

I'm pretty sure the 7th gen Celica was aimed towards young women. I consider the Scion tC it's successor. Still, I thought they were kind of cool looking. I heard one going by last night with a horrible engine sound. I'm not AI enough to identify the problem on sound alone though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I'm pretty sure the 7th gen Celica was aimed towards young women. I consider the Scion tC it's successor.

This stigma was what kept me from getting one as my first car back in high school. All my friends made fun of me for wanting one. :saddowns:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cacafuego posted:

$5000 is way too much for a rotary rebuild. Obviously, if it is free, go the dealer route, but if not, it should be able to be rebuilt for way less.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the help, an independent mechanic told me the head gasket was blown and it needs a new motor. He could only find one in TN (I'm in FL) with 78k miles and to pull the old one and put the new (used) one in it would be $5000.

I called Mazda and they towed it at no charge to the closest Mazda dealer. They Mazda service advisor told me the extended warranty is meant for low compression problems and any repairs may or may not be covered under warranty. I'll take it to PMs so I don't derail too much.

The engine did sound nice and the go kart handling was pretty cool, but exploding engines certainly are terrible car stuff (see my ex-wife's 1998 Jetta).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well this is pretty terrible:

THE JUGGERNAUT

For when you really, really need serious offroad performance for your mud pit adventures.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, you'll never hit the apex on a street course with that, it would be loud on the highway too.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Have some horrible rice.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're like paddle boat wheels Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

rscott posted:

Honestly, they remind me of those Icelandic cliff climber buggies that run paddle like wheels. Design looks like it would be useful in a high power off road rig on soft sand or mud.

T-minus a week until some bro truck owner uses them on his daily driver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rscott posted:

They're called rice patty tires. I'll let you figure out why.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Bloody hell, I thought that was a gear until I read the description. Are those even car/truck tires? I would have guessed for a forklift....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Folks who wheel it up in the sand have paddle tires, I wonder if this design might work alright for a front tire, get some extra steering out of its rudder-like shape.