Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lollybo posted:

How long do you think small-format film is going to last?

35mm? Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

On the other hand I didn't notice a big improvement with flat negs. It ended up being a huge hassle because of the amount of dust that would get trapped between the glass and the negative.

Definitely. I'm not sure if it's my drying process or maybe even my reels, but my black and white stuff is almost always bowed to some extent whereas lab C-41 scans perfectly fine. I'll usually scan a whole reel normally and if there are any keepers I'll go back and scan them with glass.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So pretend I'm a big idiot babby who doesn't know anything about lenses... because I don't really know anything about lenses.

To DSLR-scan negatives, I need a macro lens, right? Just looking for something cheap on KEH turned up this: https://www.keh.com/242314/pentax-28-80mm-f-3-5-4-5-takumar-a-macro-2-touch-k-mount-manual-focus-lens-58. Cheaper than the stupid Lomography smartphone scanner thing... Would that work? If not, I'd appreciate recommendations for something cheap with a K-mount, or just a description of what sort of lens I need to look for.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

Definitely. I'm not sure if it's my drying process or maybe even my reels, but my black and white stuff is almost always bowed to some extent whereas lab C-41 scans perfectly fine. I'll usually scan a whole reel normally and if there are any keepers I'll go back and scan them with glass.

Throw those bad boys in a thick heavy book and throw a few more books on top for good measure. In a week you should have some nice, flat negs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

So pretend I'm a big idiot babby who doesn't know anything about lenses... because I don't really know anything about lenses.

To DSLR-scan negatives, I need a macro lens, right? Just looking for something cheap on KEH turned up this: https://www.keh.com/242314/pentax-28-80mm-f-3-5-4-5-takumar-a-macro-2-touch-k-mount-manual-focus-lens-58. Cheaper than the stupid Lomography smartphone scanner thing... Would that work? If not, I'd appreciate recommendations for something cheap with a K-mount, or just a description of what sort of lens I need to look for.
Get a prime around 100mm, a set of bellows and a film holder of some kind. You'll also need a light source (flash, lamp whatever) and a diffusion panel behind the film.

Or throw money at the problem:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/21/pentax-film-duplicator-helps-you-scan-35mm-and-medium-format-film-quicker

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Now I really want one of these. Can they scan the usual 5-exposure strips, or does it need to be a whole roll?

It can be either. I think you just need a strip above 2 frames so the scanner can pick up the DX coding. The only downside of the scanner I've found is it doesn't handle non-DX coded film well.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There is this one too:
http://www.macodirect.de/cameras-accessories-slide-duplicator-diverse-digital-duplicatorbrus-version-p-751.html

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Pham Nuwen posted:

D90 with 105 Micro Nikkor "scanner" by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

SB-700 inside the cardboard box

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I hate that buying enough 35mm ANR glass pieces for my scanner would cost me $120. It makes more sense to fasten something thin and rigid across the holders where the gutter between each photo would lie. I've experimented with this before and it works very well, but the problem is finding the right material and attaching it to the holders without making a huge mess of glue.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
The Lomography Digitaliza holder keeps film perfectly flat. It's pretty cool how it works. Plus you can scan the sprocket holes if you're into that kind of thing.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

BANME.sh posted:

I hate that buying enough 35mm ANR glass pieces for my scanner would cost me $120. It makes more sense to fasten something thin and rigid across the holders where the gutter between each photo would lie. I've experimented with this before and it works very well, but the problem is finding the right material and attaching it to the holders without making a huge mess of glue.

I went to a local art supply shop that does framing and asked for a couple pieces of their glare-resistant glass. I think I paid like $6 and as long as I scan emulsion side down it's certainly good enough for web-res scans from my thrift shop Epson 3170.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

voodoorootbeer posted:

I went to a local art supply shop that does framing and asked for a couple pieces of their glare-resistant glass. I think I paid like $6 and as long as I scan emulsion side down it's certainly good enough for web-res scans from my thrift shop Epson 3170.

Is that all that anti-Newton glass is? My mom has her own framing business and I can get basically free glass

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah. If you can get free glass get some of that sick multicoated museum quality glass.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you're committed to film, just buy a V700. Even if you're just scanning 35mm it's appreciably better than a V500/V600.

If you're only scanning 35mm you are much better off with a dedicated scanner like the PlusTeks (also Reflecta) -- quite higher true resolution and several (most?) are even cheaper.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

maxmars posted:

If you're only scanning 35mm you are much better off with a dedicated scanner like the PlusTeks (also Reflecta) -- quite higher true resolution and several (most?) are even cheaper.

Well, yeah - if you're only ever planning on scanning 35mm. Aren't the ones that do 120 more expensive than a V700?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Well, yeah - if you're only ever planning on scanning 35mm. Aren't the ones that do 120 more expensive than a V700?

Ones that don't require you loving around with an old computer and/or software are.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

BANME.sh posted:

Stop recommending this scanner, I'm afraid it will go out of stock forever before I get around to buying my own.

You'd better just bite the bullet and get one: Steve Huff did a feature on the Pakon (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/01/kodak-pakon-f-135-plus-film-scanner-review-by-logan-norton/) and prices went up to $299, and they go in and out of stock all the time.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 24, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

You'd better just bit the bullet and get one: Steve Huff did a feature on the Pakon (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/01/kodak-pakon-f-135-plus-film-scanner-review-by-logan-norton/) and prices went up to $299, and they go in and out of stock all the time.

poo poo. I'll just convince you to go all medium format and then buy yours.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype posted:

Ones that don't require you loving around with an old computer and/or software are.

Ones that don't absolutely blow AND don't require loving around with an old computer will run you as much as a flagship canikon dslr.

e: Those Pakon scans look great if you're sticking with 35mm exclusively.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Thread title appropriate. Would anyone in here happen to know why a ~1970 Nikon F1 (Black body, fTN) stops advancing film after five or six shots on a roll?

I love my drop-dead manual 200mm and other goodies, but it's really depressing to lose 2/3rds of your roll and not know it til Costco calls you up a week later. Took me long enough to find the correct 'middle' of the lightmeter with alkalines in it.

Camera shops are a joke now. Ask them about an M39 adapter for a 400mm Kern-Filar and they go cross-eyed.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ask anyone that and they'd go cross-eyed. What the gently caress is a Kern-Filar?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a box for sorting your kernels (or "kern") for when you have lots of different microwave popcorn.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

MrBlandAverage posted:

About twice the price if memory serves. Perhaps more?

But, price and resolution wise, we're looking at a huge difference between a 250 euro, 35mm only scanner like the PlusTek 8100 (3800 DPI) and a 650 euro scanner like the Epson V700 (2300 DPI) that also does other formats.

The Plustek can extract, from a 35mm frame, more or less the same amount of detail that a V700 can extract from a 6x4.5 frame of a 120 roll. I hear the Reflecta 10T can extract even more information from a single 35mm frame.

My point being, if you don't print and enlarge that frame, you probably don't even need medium format to begin with.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

maxmars posted:

About twice the price if memory serves. Perhaps more?

But, price and resolution wise, we're looking at a huge difference between a 250 euro, 35mm only scanner like the PlusTek 8100 (3800 DPI) and a 650 euro scanner like the Epson V700 (2300 DPI) that also does other formats.

The Plustek can extract, from a 35mm frame, more or less the same amount of detail that a V700 can extract from a 6x4.5 frame of a 120 roll. I hear the Reflecta 10T can extract even more information from a single 35mm frame.

My point being, if you don't print and enlarge that frame, you probably don't even need medium format to begin with.

I have to disagree on the 35mm data extraction comment.

I've test-scanned 35mm negatives in two different scanners, both at their native resolutions - and there just isn't much more information in there comparing the 2900DPI and 4800DPI scans.

That said the 2900DPI scanner (A Nikon Coolscan) is basically exceptional in that the stated DPI is actually within 95% of the resolution it optically scans, netting you about a 13 megapixel image file for a single 35mm frame.

Another caveat being of course slow films and slide. I tested with consumer negative films and Portra 400/160. So Fuji slides and/or Ektar 100 and the likes may give you more information from a higher DPI scan.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

maxmars posted:

I'd love to see some backup for this - not just in pure "information extracted" but from what you'll actually get from film.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

Ask anyone that and they'd go cross-eyed. What the gently caress is a Kern-Filar?

Good question. It's a Fern-Kilar :doh:

About a foot and a half of german glass my grandpa left me.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 25, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

ansel autisms posted:

I'd love to see some backup for this - not just in pure "information extracted" but from what you'll actually get from film.

Sure, have a read at the image quality section of both scanners (plus the reflecta):

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV700Photo.html
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7400.html
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaRPS7200.html

(The Plustek 8100 I have is the same basically as the 7400, IIRC all that was changed was the bundled software and little else)

To my knowledge the filmscanner.info site is the only one providing tests that do not depend on the image chosen or scanning software. If you know of other such sites, please share.

Another possibility would be to do a dorkroom study project on film scanners, that would be fun!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

VomitOnLino posted:

I have to disagree on the 35mm data extraction comment.

I've test-scanned 35mm negatives in two different scanners, both at their native resolutions - and there just isn't much more information in there comparing the 2900DPI and 4800DPI scans.

That said the 2900DPI scanner (A Nikon Coolscan) is basically exceptional in that the stated DPI is actually within 95% of the resolution it optically scans, netting you about a 13 megapixel image file for a single 35mm frame.

Another caveat being of course slow films and slide. I tested with consumer negative films and Portra 400/160. So Fuji slides and/or Ektar 100 and the likes may give you more information from a higher DPI scan.

Yes in my quoted figures I already took care of declared vs. tested resolution. In my own experience there is discernible difference not only between resolutions, but even between different options of the same resize algorithm, provided that the starting negative (I don't use slides) has that information from the start and that depends on several things -- lens, hand / tripod, the resolution of the negative..

I'm starting to keep tabs of what each option gives as output, because you don't always want the sharpest resizing algorithm. E.g. I'm scanning Portra these days and I can risk a more aggressive sharpening algorithm if I need it because the grain of that film is so fine; with Superia I'd need to tone down a bit the aggressiveness as that film has an already higher resolution and coarser grain.

Another thing I am starting to do is trying to discern if there is a correlation between the algorithm used for resizing and the amount of "detail" or "clarity" you can apply afterwards without the result showing artifacts like halos, which would also be a factor in the choice for the resigin algorithm. There's some interesting content from mr. Rubidoux of ImageMagick fame on the topic but I still haven't had the chance to digest it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I decided to spend some money and get some rolls of slide film I had developed to see if i liked shooting it.

Tim-6x7-034.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-033.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-032.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-35mm-036.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-35mm-035.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

I need to buy more Ektachrome...

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
There's a typo in your watermark

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

deaders posted:

There's a typo in your watermark

What?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I work at an e-waste recycler. People throw away the strangest things.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

If you find another, sell/give it to me :3:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Wasn't expecting this news...

Epson launches Perfection V850 and V800 multi-format film scanners

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

drat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

drat

quote:

the Epson Perfection V850 and V800 will feature the same specification as the previous models, but will benefit from faster start-up and lower power consumption.

drat it

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yeah, the only differences are LED backlights and film holders that hold less film at one time but have 5 adjustment heights instead of 3. :effort:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

atomicthumbs posted:

Well talk about an early Christmas :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

atomicthumbs posted:

Awesome! It scans very nicely, and should get about all the info there is to get out of most films. I hope you have the holders for it, they seem to be quit expensive on the 'bay. In a pinch I could possibly be convinced to sell you my additional mount holders and adapter ...

But, you can take the auto-feed 35mm bulk scan adapter from my cold dead hands!

Also the original software for it is pants-on-head kind of retarded at times, but I guess that's just par for the course.