Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So do imsgs actually send now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Everything seems to be going pretty fine for me on a 6 on Verizon with 8.0.2...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SgtScruffy posted:

Everything seems to be going pretty fine for me on a 6 on Verizon with 8.0.2...
Same here on AT&T. I just updated a minute ago though.

I've got cell service, so that's something :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How? They seems exactly alike.

What I meant was, yesterday's notes were listed, I only saw "Bug fixes and improvements" but I see now I didn't dig deep enough. :) My bad. :)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

No. 6 posted:

Right now the thing that is bothering me the most on the 6+ is the tiny folder size versus the gigantic screen. It seems Apple forgot to make use of the enormous screen when opening folders and you can still only see nine applications per folder screen.

This means that 75% of the screen is useless when a folder is open.

I was just talking to a coworker about this today, I'm hoping they fix/adjust this in 8.1 or something and give us more there (though looking on the internet, it seems to do the 3x3 grid on iPad's too, which is just silly).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have we heard anything regarding whether or not the Apple Watch is waterproof? Seems like a must for any wallet, but I imagine it would be tough to do with something like the Apple Watch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

I was just talking to a coworker about this today, I'm hoping they fix/adjust this in 8.1 or something and give us more there (though looking on the internet, it seems to do the 3x3 grid on iPad's too, which is just silly).

Yeah it's always been that way. Nobody cares.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
I've having wifi problems. My phone will get in a state where it just wont' find any networks. I know it's not my wireless because A) It happens at work and B) I have 3 different access points all from different manufacturers. and C) There are about 45 wifi networks in range of me at any given moment. Other people are complaining of the same symptoms on the Apple forums. No one knows if it's hardware or software.

I'm so glad I bought Applecare.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Have we heard anything regarding whether or not the Apple Watch is waterproof? Seems like a must for any wallet, but I imagine it would be tough to do with something like the Apple Watch.

its water resistant, not waterproof.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Probably imagining it, but 8.02 seems to run better on my iPad mini than 8.

Probably bonkers.

EDIT: Not crazy. The app load times haven't changed but the choppyness and studdering has definitely disappeared.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 26, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Ouhei posted:

tuyop posted:

It's definitely intentional to ensure that the small folder icon matches the first page of the enlarged folder. I can understand the reasoning behind it but as they increasingly make the UI more resizable it feels like something's gotta give here.

I wouldn't count on this changing until iOS 9 at the earliest though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DarkJC posted:

It's definitely intentional to ensure that the small folder icon matches the first page of the enlarged folder. I can understand the reasoning behind it but as they increasingly make the UI more resizable it feels like something's gotta give here.

I wouldn't count on this changing until iOS 9 at the earliest though.

Yeah, if it's like that on the iPad too it's not just an oversight, oh well. it's not really a huge deal by any means.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

With T-Mobile Wifi calling should I always be seeing "T-Mobile Wi-Fi" in my status bar when connected to wifi? It seems to randomly alternate between just "T-Mobile" and "T-Mobile Wi-Fi." The actual wifi connection doesn't appear to be dropping out.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Whenever the jailbreak hits the whole springboard/folder thing will be a non-issue anyway.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
People still jailbreak their phones?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'm somebody. Unless you're a women. Then I'm certainly nobody.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A few people care about the dumb little things like folder page size or whatever. Jailbreaking is awesome for those people.

And tethering for Americans. I imagine there's lots of other cool stuff and hideous themes and poo poo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm on 8.02 and I've got cellular service
What a loving magical time to be alive, you've knocked it out of the park again, Apple!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm on 8.02 and I've got cellular service
What a loving magical time to be alive, you've knocked it out of the park again, Apple!

So do I, and not only that my Touch ID works. I now believe in miracles.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tuyop posted:

And tethering for Americans. I imagine there's lots of other cool stuff and hideous themes and poo poo.

American plans can tether now unless you're on grandfathered att unlimited plans and they'll boot you for tethering even with a jailbreak.

I'm on T-Mobile unlimited and get like 5gb of tethering data included.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

How else can I touchID to reload my Starbucks card?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: There was a skit on Conan just now in which a dude's coworker asked him to see his new iPhone and it was bent in half, and then it turned into an ad for the Samsung Galaxy which can be bent and slapped around without taking any damage.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So far so good

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: There was a skit on Conan just now in which a dude's coworker asked him to see his new iPhone and it was bent in half, and then it turned into an ad for the Samsung Galaxy which can be bent and slapped around without taking any damage.

cutting bending edge humor

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh they already put it up on their site. Here's the link: http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-09-25-14?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjo0MzQyOX0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pretty cool advertisement actually

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Flaccid Phonegate

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
So I updated to 8.0.2 and now I don't have service with ATT. I am restarting now to see if it fixes it

Nope Restart did not fix, going to downgrade to 8.0 now, guess I don't need sleep

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 26, 2014

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Dbhjed posted:

So I updated to 8.0.2 and now I don't have service with ATT. I am restarting now to see if it fixes it

Nope Restart did not fix, going to downgrade to 8.0 now, guess I don't need sleep

You must not have tapped the screen twice and touched the phone to our forehead as outlined in the update notes.. totally your fault

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do I have to do something to make swift key my default keyboard or is this just not fixed in 8.0.2?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wifi is gimmicky as gently caress on my 6+.

Showed me LTE in the carrier upper left, control center said Wifi was on. (I even toggled it.) Settings said Wifi was off. Turned it on in settings, still nothing. Rebooted, wifi worked again.

Also third party keyboards still don't prioritize in 8.02.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yep, same here. Stock keyboard still appears first after waking phone despite Swype is the only active keyboard in settings.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Seems this guy is the sacrifice for the bloodthirsty masses:

Manager in charge of quality control for iOS 8.0.1 also oversaw launch of Apple Maps

So, who’s responsible for Apple’s botched iOS 8.0.1 update?

According to a new report by Bloomberg, it’s Josh Williams, who is in charge of quality assurance for iOS. Interestingly, he was also linked to the quality (or lack thereof) of Apple’s much maligned Maps app debut in iOS 6.

“Josh Williams, the mid-level manager overseeing quality assurance for Apple’s iOS mobile-software group, was also in charge of quality control for maps, according to people familiar with Apple’s management structure,” Bloomberg reports.

If you’ll recall, the Apple Maps controversy of 2012 led to the firing of Scott Forstall, Apple’s then chief of mobile software, and Richard Williamson, who was in charge of the mapping software whose release was marred by inaccurate information.

Williams, who had long been working on iPhone software quality control, was also removed, but only from the Maps team and not from the company altogether. According to one of Bloomberg sources, he remained in charge of testing for iOS.

Testing for iOS, of course, includes quality assurance for updates, even minor ones, to the mobile operating system. But quality control clearly failed with the release of iOS 8.0.1 yesterday.

The update was supposed to bring improvements and bug fixes, especially a fix for a bug that had been deterring the release of HealthKit-compatible apps on the App Store. But it was found to affect cellular network connectivity and Touch ID on the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

A probable cause of the function degradation that came with iOS 8.0.1 is that the recently released smartphones hadn’t been tested long enough to spot critical issues. As reported by Bloomberg, “the engineers who test the newest software versions often don’t get their hands on the latest iPhones until the same time that they arrive with customers, resulting in updates that may not get tested as much on the latest handsets.”

Williams’ team is also said to rely more on manual bug detection than automated testing.

Just moments ago, Apple released iOS 8.0.2 as a replacement of and a fix for iOS 8.0.1, which, according to the company, affected fewer than 40,000 out of the more than 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units that it had sold.

Goddamn it Josh

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Where are the drat 6+ wallpapers?! :argh:

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

modestmusashi posted:

Fellow iPhone 6ers on AT&T: how we doing on battery life? I don't watch many videos or make many calls. A lot of texting and Twitter between/during classes. Woke up at 11am today with the phone fully charged. It is just about 7 now and my phone is at 32%.

I've been using my regular 6 at the same rate I typically did on my 5 and the battery life has been amazing.

Using a 5 I'd typically be around 20-30% when finishing up for the day before the gym and I'm currently heading home with 55%.

By far the best battery life I've experienced from the 5 iphones I've used.

Ganeen
Mar 3, 2004

I made this, isn't it offensive?
Goddamn, I hate Jews. All hiding in the moutains in Pakistan and shit.

terriyaki posted:

Where are the drat 6+ wallpapers?! :argh:

Aren't they just vertical 1080p? That should be really easy to find on the internet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vertical+1080p+wallpaper

Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Absolutely, there are quite a few great tweaks (not themes) I have come to rely on for everyday use. A lot of what Apple has integrated into the OS thus far has origins in jailbreak.

Unrelated: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/steve-ballmer-clippers-apple-ban-microsoft

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Night one of iPhone 6+:

Screen is amazing.

Battery looking good so far, even with constant tinkering.

Hand is honestly a touch crampy/fatigued from holding it. I'll either get used to it... or not.

Even with the leather case, and this sounds counterintuitive, it's really thin on the corners in a way that sort of digs into the meat of your hands. Weight be damned, I may rectify this with a thicker case.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

Night one of iPhone 6+:

Screen is amazing.

Battery looking good so far, even with constant tinkering.

Hand is honestly a touch crampy/fatigued from holding it. I'll either get used to it... or not.

Even with the leather case, and this sounds counterintuitive, it's really thin on the corners in a way that sort of digs into the meat of your hands. Weight be damned, I may rectify this with a thicker case.

It's going to get even better. The plus is the master race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

A few people care about the dumb little things like folder page size or whatever. Jailbreaking is awesome for those people.

We can tether.

But was there a jailbreak app that enhanced the visual size of a folder for iOS 7?