Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Writers domain is out of work for the first time since February...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Hey JKL, I decided to take a quick look, and I can't find that Swift captioning software anywhere. All links I've found point to a defunct website now. Just thought you might like to know (Apparently they got mergered into Datel and Swift is getting turned into a program called Dalet Media Life).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is this your card?

Licenses go for about $10 grand I think

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Ah, that's a different company from the one Google was pointing me to. Also holy poo poo that price. How does any freelancer even get started on a job like that with that kind of a buy-in? If it were like $100 or something reasonable I'd get it and try to learn that.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Captioning school followed by a rental license most likely. Some post production houses teach you on the job, which is what happened with yours truly. I did the math, and if I ever decide to get my own license to caption on a freelance basis, I'd have to caption probably close to 75 hours' worth of programming just to start breaking even after taxes.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Captioning school followed by a rental license most likely. Some post production houses teach you on the job, which is what happened with yours truly. I did the math, and if I ever decide to get my own license to caption on a freelance basis, I'd have to caption probably close to 75 hours' worth of programming just to start breaking even after taxes.

I'm pretty sure that with the price of a license being that high, you wouldn't have to worry about paying taxes for that work.

You get to start the year at -$10,000 income! Hooray?

Also, do you have to use Create? Couldn't you get away with Tx or vTx? I really haven't got a clue as to the difference.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

Writers domain is out of work for the first time since February...

Google just nuked a bunch of private blog networks (which are generally spam) and surprise surprise the mid-tier garbage WD wants written all goes to those blogs. Work there will probably be short until they can establish a new network with a bit more obfuscation to make it last for another 6-12 months.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
What, exactly, is the lifespan on the Infinity pedal? Because mine's been giving me trouble the past day or so and that's bothering me greatly since I've only had this thing since May.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Mine's over seven years old and the only defect it has developed is an occasional squeak.

What's it doing?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nighthand posted:

Google just nuked a bunch of private blog networks (which are generally spam) and surprise surprise the mid-tier garbage WD wants written all goes to those blogs. Work there will probably be short until they can establish a new network with a bit more obfuscation to make it last for another 6-12 months.

Do you have any more info on this? Did they just have all their blogs delisted and now scrambling on what to do?

Articles are still trickling in on WD too which is odd. They had a small drop of articles this morning but they are all gone

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-hits-private-blog-networks-19196.html

I don't know for sure what sites WD articles end up on, but they've been skirting the line of thin content for a long time. Google hits the PBNs and suddenly WD is out of work, when they had a ton before?

If you saved any of your work for them you can always search for phrases and find where your content ends up, which will give you an idea of the sort of sites they're dealing with.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nighthand posted:

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-hits-private-blog-networks-19196.html

I don't know for sure what sites WD articles end up on, but they've been skirting the line of thin content for a long time. Google hits the PBNs and suddenly WD is out of work, when they had a ton before?

If you saved any of your work for them you can always search for phrases and find where your content ends up, which will give you an idea of the sort of sites they're dealing with.

Oh I save everything I write for them

Some of the sites I've found stuff on include
http://dentalcoveragequote.info/
http://legalsocializer.com/
http://hammsgarage.com/

Shady looking as gently caress...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

Mine's over seven years old and the only defect it has developed is an occasional squeak.

What's it doing?

Periodically, usually if I've had a break or even have to stop to look up spelling or whatever, it kinda stops. I'll put my foot down to continue, and it'll lock up. The video will keep playing until I manually stop it, and then the pedal won't do anything more. I have to unplug and replug it a few times before it'll work again, and then it'll (usually) work until the next time I stop using it for a few moments.

E: Still happening, seems to be getting progressively worse (Happening after shorter and shorter breaks, taking longer to get it working again), and it happens regardless of what USB port I use. Either Express Scribe is loving up badly on me somehow after working for half a year (Only thing I could think of is I uninstalled and reinstalled Java a couple days ago to try to fix a problem YouTube was having), or the pedal is. I'm heavily inclined to say it's the pedal, since it persists after restarting Express Scribe. idgi

E2: Looking up reviews, it seems I'm not the only person with this issue of it giving up the ghost or constantly unplugging itself after half a year to a year.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 27, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
So yeah, my Infinity IN-USB2 is pretty much worthless at this point. Should I get another one that will probably give out in another six months knowing my luck, or should I try something different like a Phillips brand pedal?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Ugh, that sucks. I've honestly never heard about this problem, so it must be a relatively recent issue. As for other brands, I'm at sea because I've literally owned one pedal and it was pretty much the only USB pedal on the market at the time I bought it. Let me know what you find out in terms of research and we can amend the recommendations as necessary.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
For now I'll try another Infinity, but if this new one fucks me over too come spring or whatever, then I'm dumping Infinity and trying another company. Until it gets here I guess I'll just have to keep unplugging and using my current one for a half minute of footage until it fucks up again, or start doing my assignments... Ugh, by hand again.

E: Nothing's finer than having 7 minutes left in a video and estimates putting it at being done maybe an hour and a half from now because of this poo poo. Tomorrow and Monday are gonna be sweet as hell, I've still got 40 minutes booked to be done sometime on Monday.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 28, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I've had my Infinity for over two years with zero problems.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spartan421 posted:

I've had my Infinity for over two years with zero problems.

Same. I bought mine new (also over two years ago), and the only issue so far has been the OS needing to be rebooted. Otherwise, it's a solid product.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Hell is a man who stutters, full verbatim, and a pedal that refuses to work for more than 15 seconds of footage.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zorblack posted:

I'm pretty sure that with the price of a license being that high, you wouldn't have to worry about paying taxes for that work.

You get to start the year at -$10,000 income! Hooray?

Also, do you have to use Create? Couldn't you get away with Tx or vTx? I really haven't got a clue as to the difference.

Haven't got a clue either. Alls I can tell ya is that we work pretty much exclusively with Swift Create Line 21 version 6, though we've got some freelancers on version 4.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Pedal is now completely and utterly dead. It gets recognized when I plug it into either PC, but it doesn't work even for a second. New one can't come soon enough. Thank god for Prime's free two day shipping, if nothing else.

E: until then, my 360 controller is my "pedal". Better than nothing I guess.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 30, 2014

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

So, I'm looking at my various alternative options while Writer's Domain sorts themselves out, and there's one thing in particular that I'm wondering about Textbroker. For the writing sample, it says that they'll reject "articles where the name you registered with is not included". Does that just mean I have to sign my work? This probably seems obvious, but I want to confirm so I don't screw up something dumb.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
So, this week at DT so far has been EVERYTHING IS RUSH! So, fine. But is anyone else having the "I hear you say you want 30, so here's 60!" problem? I mean, I do need the work right now, but like, yeah.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow did I do bad on that Writer Access test

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 30, 2014

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

So, I'm looking at my various alternative options while Writer's Domain sorts themselves out, and there's one thing in particular that I'm wondering about Textbroker. For the writing sample, it says that they'll reject "articles where the name you registered with is not included". Does that just mean I have to sign my work? This probably seems obvious, but I want to confirm so I don't screw up something dumb.

Sorry, this won't answer your question (I haven't done anything on Textbroker in ages), but I wanted to say something about WD: if the sorting-out you're talking about is the lack of articles, they have been dropping small amounts at seemingly random intervals. If you're logged in, you can go to https://www.writersdomain.net/ArticleList/0 and just refresh it every once in a while. I've seen articles drop every day, but they get snapped up incredibly fast, too.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

Slightly Used Cake posted:

So, this week at DT so far has been EVERYTHING IS RUSH! So, fine. But is anyone else having the "I hear you say you want 30, so here's 60!" problem? I mean, I do need the work right now, but like, yeah.

My biggest problem is not getting enough information in the initial rush email. Just saying "rush available" or "intv" is not sufficient for me anymore, since I'm being a little more choosy with DT work since their rates fly all over the place without any correlation to project difficulty. But then if I clarify the project or the nature of the actual media itself then I'll likely miss out on the rush completely. Maybe she does that on purpose just to get some people signed up?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Unfortunately, some clients kind of rely on pushing the work out there and not letting you be picky about it. I've got one client I love, who sends me emails like "I've got a 25 minute interview for NHK, no timecodes, light edit, super-rush, due tomorrow at 9:00 AM, can you take it?" And I've got another one who sends me emails that say, "How much tape can you take?" expecting me to just quote a number. I've slowly begun to get her around to the idea that if the work's clip reels at $6+ a minute I can clear my decks, if it's as-broadcast work for $1.50-$2 I can take a tape, but if it's super detailed 90 minute crazy accent interviews at $1, I've got to wash my hair.

DT is very bad about the rate not matching up to the work, and that's the primary reason I don't work for them anymore. At this point, for any client to get me to take a transcription job, they have to be able to beat the time invested/money returned ratio of my other gigs, otherwise I just don't bother. You've just got to make the calculation for yourself, and figure out when you've got enough work that missing a rush job because it might be a nightmare is worth it to you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DT has always been bad about that. "Oh, today you have no work even on the schedule for today? Here, have 20m that's due by the break of dawn tomorrow."

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

DT has always been bad about that. "Oh, today you have no work even on the schedule for today? Here, have 20m that's due by the break of dawn tomorrow."

OH no, thankfully I've never had that issue. If i'm not scheduled I'm not scheduled. It was just like, yeah, so there was rush, yay rush. I'll take 30, she quoted it as 60. The tape actualyl was 72 in the end and it's fine it's already done with so that's fine. But now I have this pilotware bullshit that's got the worst instructions and is 75 cents a minute? The hell?I know this is the busy season but come on guys, it can't be that bad. Sally isn't communicating in all caps yet.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sally isn't communicating in all caps yet.

Don't be surprised if I start doing this in a few weeks.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Really? Her emails to me are always in caps whether it's feast or famine. Sometimes she tones it down in gchat though.

Pilotware is not too bad once you get the hang of it - if it's the same project that always uses that format at least it is usually good audio. And it's easy to pop it into Excel really fast to make sure you didn't screw up your text delimiters.

If I tell her I can take 30 minutes of rush I pretty much expect that she'll shoot anywhere from 20-60 minutes at me. Most of the time it's totally fine unless it's one of those total poo poo projects that isn't even worth the rush rate. I had a problem with not putting myself on the schedule for the weekend and then she'd fill me up with weekend work that I'd have to decline. She finally told me not to sign up for friday if I couldn't take weekend work, and if I wanted Monday work she looks at SATURDAY's hours for that, and only looks at Sunday's time sheets if they get slammed. Uh yeah, I've been with them for 18 months now and never knew that.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don't be surprised if I start doing this in a few weeks.

You pay us well and give us cartoons. :-P

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

emptyquoting this

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just got a guy getting interviewed by the skeeviest director ever. After the interviewee tastefully deflected several suggestions that he should talk about his sexual history and who was wants to bang on the show, he got this "Do you think you could literally bang everyone that's on this show?"

I've never seen someone say "I'm not going to answer that" so many times. Oh well, easy for me!

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

I'd quote harder if it was possible.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone here have any experience selling on ThemeForest? Mind going into it a bit if so?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Zorblack posted:

I'd quote harder if it was possible.

New pedal's finally in. It's nice having something that works, I'd been using the A and B buttons on my 360 controller for play and rewind for a couple days now and it's great to have something that works more reliably and poo poo. I have to wonder what the hell went wrong with the old one, though.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

New pedal's finally in. It's nice having something that works, I'd been using the A and B buttons on my 360 controller for play and rewind for a couple days now and it's great to have something that works more reliably and poo poo. I have to wonder what the hell went wrong with the old one, though.

You get the same one?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

You get the same one?

Yeah, Infinity IN-USB2. If this one fails me I'm done with Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I used one of those. Lasted about a year before it got completely unresponsive.