Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

smackfu posted:

The reason this came up is because I'm buying a new monitor to go with a Macbook Air, and nothing has native Mini Display Port. Lower end stuff has DVI and HDMI, and higher end-stuff adds Display Port.

But I guess maybe the monitors were never supposed to have the Mini variant?

Who cares about the monitor having the mini variant, I bought converter cables from mini to full size at MonoPrice for $10 each or whatever.

And DP has definitely caught on with displays outside of the very cheapest and with mid-to-high-end PC graphics cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

But I guess maybe the monitors were never supposed to have the Mini variant?
Mini is only for devices where space is a premium, like laptops. It's like asking why mini-USB never took off on desktop computers.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wonder how Thunderbolt ended up with the same connector shape as Mini Display port?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

flavor posted:

And DP has definitely caught on with displays outside of the very cheapest and with mid-to-high-end PC graphics cards.

Somebody really needs to tell that to Nvidia, you've been able to get ATI cards with 6 DP since 2009, but $600 780 Ti nvidia cards have only 1 DP, and even though the reference design for the newly launched GTX 970 has 3 DP, all the board manufacturers are only putting 1 on to make room for a bunch of DVI. It's frustrating.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So my rMBP suddenly has these weird issues with the headphone jack:

1. Persistent noise/static that I can't seem to get rid of
2. It will ignore headphones/speakers, only outputting sound through the built in speakers. However, if I restart with the headphones connected they will work (with static) until I disconnect them, then they wont work anymore.

No idea what happened because I have been away and haven't used it in two weeks. Anyone experience something similar before?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

1st AD posted:

I wonder how Thunderbolt ended up with the same connector shape as Mini Display port?

I read that the original plan was to put it into USB, but the USB people weren't having it (USB 3.0 had just come out) and there needed to be a more simple/compatible way to link displays. Mini DP just kinda makes sense.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Somebody really needs to tell that to Nvidia, you've been able to get ATI cards with 6 DP since 2009, but $600 780 Ti nvidia cards have only 1 DP, and even though the reference design for the newly launched GTX 970 has 3 DP, all the board manufacturers are only putting 1 on to make room for a bunch of DVI. It's frustrating.

I just got my EVGA GTX 980 in, and it really has 3 DP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I read that the original plan was to put it into USB, but the USB people weren't having it (USB 3.0 had just come out) and there needed to be a more simple/compatible way to link displays. Mini DP just kinda makes sense.
Yeah Intel's Light Peak prototypes used USB connectors (and Sony even released a laptop+dock that used it in that form) but the USB people basically told them to gently caress off when they sought approval.

As far as using MDP as the form factor my guess is that the general strategy was to use a common existing connector of some sort, so it wouldn't be displaced like what happened with FireWire. USB would've been the ultimate ideal since it's everywhere and not going away, but in lieu of that the display output was probably the best option since that's fairly ubiquitous itself. MDP was a nice compact form factor usable on laptops (where most PC sales are) and Apple just happened to have a (supposedly) good relationship with Intel.

Course the future is looking sketchy with DP adopting DockPort (DP+USB) as an official extension and USB apparently planning to route PCIe and DP over USB…like Intel's original plan.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Drogadon posted:

So my rMBP suddenly has these weird issues with the headphone jack:

1. Persistent noise/static that I can't seem to get rid of
2. It will ignore headphones/speakers, only outputting sound through the built in speakers. However, if I restart with the headphones connected they will work (with static) until I disconnect them, then they wont work anymore.

No idea what happened because I have been away and haven't used it in two weeks. Anyone experience something similar before?

Are you running Yosemite? I've seen some weird issues like that around audio switching between internal speakers, the headphone jack, and Bluetooth.

Otherwise, try different headphones if you haven't already, reset SMC because there's no downside to cargo cult troubleshooting when it takes less than a minute, and hit the fruit stand if none of it helps.

Live a Little
May 7, 2008
Hi guys, after having to endure Windows laptops for the last 2 years, I'm returning to the fold.

Quick question, the the shops here are selling the latest 2014 2.8ghz i5 retina 13.3inch at around the same price as a refurbished 2013 2.8ghz i7 retina 13.3 inch. They both have 8gb ram and 512gb flash.

As I understand it, the difference is minor between the 2, in this case what should I do to future proof? Or should I go all out and get a 16gb ram bto 13.3 mbp for way more?

Edit: some information about my use-case. I work in academia so many pdfs and tabs open, along with MS word. Probably nothing that requires an i7. I also do some light gaming, mostly civ5, the EUs and now with all these exciting throwback crpgs (wasteland 2, divinity: original sins) coming out I'll love to be able to play them acceptably in the future.

Live a Little fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I do software dev and have a 2012 MBP 13 with 16GB of RAM at work and a rMBP 15 with 8GB of RAM at home, I don't really notice a lot of a difference between the two in my use case, even when I was doing Java with IntelliJ, databases and virtual machines open. When I got the rMBP I thought I would regret getting 8GB but haven't yet.

Space Gopher posted:

Are you running Yosemite? I've seen some weird issues like that around audio switching between internal speakers, the headphone jack, and Bluetooth.

Otherwise, try different headphones if you haven't already, reset SMC because there's no downside to cargo cult troubleshooting when it takes less than a minute, and hit the fruit stand if none of it helps.

Not running Yosemite and already tried many headphones/speakers and resetting SMC. I hoped I wouldn't need to take it in because we don't have proper Apple stores here and the authorized dealers are slow with repairs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Drogadon posted:

I do software dev and have a 2012 MBP 13 with 16GB of RAM at work and a rMBP 15 with 8GB of RAM at home, I don't really notice a lot of a difference between the two in my use case, even when I was doing Java with IntelliJ, databases and virtual machines open. When I got the rMBP I thought I would regret getting 8GB but haven't yet.

Not running Yosemite and already tried many headphones/speakers and resetting SMC. I hoped I wouldn't need to take it in because we don't have proper Apple stores here and the authorized dealers are slow with repairs.

Pram is what deals with audio. Did you reset that?

I would boot into recovery partition and see if it happens there to rule out software.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
On the simple side of things, checked for lint or something inside the port itself? Otherwise assuming it's clean, I guess make sure the jack is getting fully seated, some plugs and jacks can be really tight.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I think it's probably hardware, I managed to fix the headphone/speaker detection by just pulling the plug ever so slightly after putting it in.

The noise is still there though and it only stops if I disconnect everything else (magsafe, usb, thunderbolt) and don't touch the case so probably a short somewhere.

e: had also already cleared PRAM several times.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Drogadon posted:

I think it's probably hardware, I managed to fix the headphone/speaker detection by just pulling the plug ever so slightly after putting it in.

The noise is still there though and it only stops if I disconnect everything else (magsafe, usb, thunderbolt) and don't touch the case so probably a short somewhere.

e: had also already cleared PRAM several times.

If you're getting a noise when you plug things into the computer that are plugged into the wall, it's probably a ground loop issue. Either that or you might have very noisy electricity at your house. I suspect though that it's a ground loop issue and that you might have two electronic devices with three prong plugs plugged into the same circuit in the wall that also connect to each other in some way. If this is the case, you might want to try buying something like a HumBuster for one of the devices or even just using a simple three prong to two prong adapter on only one of those devices plugged into the wall.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Strange thing is, the noise is gone when I disconnect everything else, but it reappears if I touch the metal on the mbp, even when only the speakers are connected.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Drogadon posted:

Strange thing is, the noise is gone when I disconnect everything else, but it reappears if I touch the metal on the mbp, even when only the speakers are connected.

With power or without power on the speakers/macbook? Since the casing is aluminum you are grounding when you touch it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Without power on the macbook, but good point about the speakers, will try with headphones to see if the speaker power is the issue.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is probably cum in the hole.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

japtor posted:

Course the future is looking sketchy with DP adopting DockPort (DP+USB) as an official extension and USB apparently planning to route PCIe and DP over USB…like Intel's original plan.

Who knows if it will happen (it probably won't, given how long it took Firewire to go away), but it would be nice to see Thunderbolt and power connectors and whatever eventually all go away and be replaced by a bank of USB ports with bidirectional power transmission.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Roadie posted:

Who knows if it will happen (it probably won't, given how long it took Firewire to go away), but it would be nice to see Thunderbolt and power connectors and whatever eventually all go away and be replaced by a bank of USB ports with bidirectional power transmission.

I want all data to be transmitted wirelessly and all power by induction.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

flavor posted:

I want all data to be transmitted wirelessly and all power by induction.

That would be rad, but I don't want to accidentally microwave a pet when it steps in the way of the power induction beam to my 980W Mac Pro.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Roadie posted:

That would be rad, but I don't want to accidentally microwave a pet when it steps in the way of the power induction beam to my 980W Mac Pro.
Then just use 10 of those 100W USB cables :colbert:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

japtor posted:

Then just use 10 of those 100W USB cables :colbert:

Exactly!

Edit: I want a computer with 50 USB ports.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any Thunderbolt monitors besides Apple's own?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

Are there any Thunderbolt monitors besides Apple's own?

lt's just a display port monitor with an integrated thunderbolt hub, right? Like there isn't a 'thunderbolt' monitor, or am I not understanding how it works?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can put a Thunderbolt monitor anywhere in a daisy chain of Thunderbolt devices, but if you plan to use a mini DP monitor it will terminate the chain at the monitor.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bob Morales posted:

lt's just a display port monitor with an integrated thunderbolt hub, right? Like there isn't a 'thunderbolt' monitor, or am I not understanding how it works?
No, it's an actual Thunderbolt monitor. It'll only accept video input on the built in Thunderbolt cable from a Thunderbolt output. The actual signal on the cable is DisplayPort but it needs Thunderbolt hardware on both ends to be decoded.

To answer the original question, LGs new monitors (the 21:9 ones) have Thunderbolt ports on them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We ended up getting this monitor to go with a MacBook Air. It does look very Apple (of a few years ago).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEZGYNA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I was looking for a 15" MBP but I cannot decide on which one to buy. I was looking at the refurbished June 2012 15" non-retina, getting a SATA SSD and 16GB RAM to throw in there (guessing $300ish) and a 2.3ghz $1100 or 2.6ghz $1500. Then I was looking at an October 2013 2.3ghz $2000 and 2.6ghz $2200 retina. The retinas already have SSD (and it's PCIe) and 16GB solder on.

Any preference or something else I should look at? I'd love a retina but they are much more expensive.

My work laptop is a late 2011 MBP with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. It works fine so I'm thinking either of these would work.

Any other options I should look at?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely do the retina.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Absolutely do the retina.

A lot of people seem to agree, why do you say that?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The retina displays are stunning. You can work at high resolutions with them even if you're not interested in how much better they look at the intended resolution. People often set them to downscaled equivalents to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. The new design omits everything you don't need. The new 15" weighs what the old 13" weighs. They are stupidly thin. It was disconcerting the first time I encountered one. The SSDs are super fast on Apple's recent laptops and the battery life is amazing. Go for that $2000~ refurb. I was looking at that, but the 15" is just too big for me and I went with 13" in the end.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is quite a bit of UI lag with the 13" retina, 8gb retina though. I'm not sure if bumping the ram would help.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Comatoast posted:

There is quite a bit of UI lag with the 13" retina, 8gb retina though. I'm not sure if bumping the ram would help.

I have a late '12 rMBP w/8GB and haven't noticed a lag. Is this only with the latest models or has this been an issue with all the 8GB 13" rMBPs?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Comatoast posted:

I would be going with this one.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I bought a magic mouse lol

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

If you have a .edu email; bestbuy has rather marked down prices on rMBP. I picked up a new 15/16/256 model for $1799 which ended up beating anything I could find in Apple's inventory with 16gb RAM.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

A lot of people seem to agree, why do you say that?

I went from a 2012 15" MBP that I'd put a 256 SSD and 16 GB ram in, to a 2014 13" rMBP with 8GB ram and a 256 SSD and It's a stunning difference in every bit of the user experience. Opening up the 15" nowadays feels like a big dumb fisher-price type machine. I can drive 2 external displays and use the retina and everything is buttery smooth, even with a windows 7 VM running in Parallels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So why hasn't Apple released a Retina Cinema Display yet? Think they're waiting until they can go full 4k?